• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I went for the Super Famicom version. I'm wanting to get an Everdrive, but holding off to see if we get SD card ROM loading. If this thing is good, it's going to effectively throw my SNES Mini into the closet forever. I have an 8bitdo SFC 30Pro that I love, just gotta get the adapter.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I have a MiSTer, none of those cores are perfect. Far from it actually.
I haven't said that they were perfect, just that the work done was impressive (and the pce core, coming from the mist, is actually prety good even if it's still lacking cd support (or was anyway))

Anyway I hope someone does a properly working 68030 core so that I can retire my Amiga 1200. Right now it's still better because I'm using a Phase IV 68030 @ 50 mhz

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
50$ shipping to Germany. That makes 240$ without a controller and customs. I don't care for a controller (just use my SFC ones) but I would probably buy a Super NT if the shipping wouldn't be so ridiculously expensive.
If it makes you feel any better it's $15 for shipping from Seattle to Seattle for me, lol. I think they're just passing all the shipping cost to the buyer rather than subsidizing it like a large retailer with existing supply chains could. I agree though, $50 is pretty steep. On the plus side I have read of people in EU countries getting products from Analogue in around 2 days. So they seem to be fast at least.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree with the shipping costs as well, but I took the bite anyways lol. $33 for me, and I'm in South Carolina.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
1x Analogue Super Nt - SF (controller not included) for $189.99 each

Subtotal:

$189.99 USD

Shipping:

$32.35 USD

Total:

$222.34 US

Shipping wasn't that bad to Quebec

I thought it was more actually

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
It cost me $54.72 to the UK. That was for the express shipping but I think there was only about a $5 difference between the standard and express shipping so it seemed silly not to.

It's a lot when you look at the shipping on it's own but when I combine the shipping and the cost of the console, I still think it's a really good price.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if my initial suspicions that the Super NT is a DN10 board will be proven true

If so, the margins on the units are prety damn high

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The moment there's a version with analog RGB/SCART output, I'm in.
They've announced they will be releasing a DAC that will output rgb, component, s-video, and composite video along with analog audio.

edit, series of tweets from them(check Jan 19th):
  • For all analog AV lovers: we've been working on something you'll like. 100% work in progress at this time, but coming together right so far.
  • Designed for Super Nt and future Analogue systems. A digital to analog converter that plugs into the HDMI port.
  • It takes proprietary digital signals from Super Nt and converts them to high quality analog signals. Outputs to same DSUB15 jack on Nt mini.
  • Outputs: RGB, Component, S-video, Composite, analog audio...and probably more. Same quality as Nt mini. Zero lag. Zero signal degradation.
  • Price will be reasonable.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
For anybody who already owns an 8bitdo SN/SF 30 2.4G controller and is hoping to use it on a Super Nt, I don't think it's going to be compatible.

This is what you'll own at the moment, it says 2.4G Wireless Controller on the front.

iu

To use a 8bitdo controller with a real SNES you'll need the 8bitdo Retro Receiver but on the Retro Receiver page it says that it's not compatible with the above controller.

On the Analogue Super Nt they advertise a controllerwith the same nameand the pre-order page for it on Amazon gives it a launch date of February 1st 2018. Now although this controller has the same name you'll notice that the writing is a different colour and it actually says Bluetooth Controller under the logo, which is compatible with the Retro Receiver.

71zwQnV5nML._AC_.jpg

Although 8bitdo haven't been very clear about the two versions of that controller, it seems that if you already own one and we're hoping to use it on the Super Nt, you're not going to be able to. I have visions of people getting their console at launch unboxing it and they're just not going to be able to use it because they don't have a compatible controller.

Just thought it was worth pointing that out incase somebody here already owns one and thinks that it's going to work.

Ugh are you kidding me? Why the hell would they do that and make it so confusing. I got these as a Christmas gift thinking I'd be okay so I could use it with the SNES Classic now and then just buy the receiver to use on the NT later. This really makes me furious.

idc

Jan 20, 2018
Staffordshire, UK
Mine is an "SFC30" controller, which I've had for quite some time now, and fortunately it is Bluetooth. I will admit that I did have to check to make sure.

Really confusing though. Why does the 2.4GHz controller need to exist?

Last edited:

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
Darknight
I've been lucky in that it hasn't caught me out but I bet you won't be alone in this situation. I don't think they've been very clear at all I've not seen this mentioned anywhere else, if it wasn't hidden away on the Retro Receiver page I would have ordered the ones that you have.

idc
I think it's because it's cheaper, you can't do as much with it but if all you want is to use it with is you Nintendo mini consoles they're fine. What's surprising is that the 2.4G versions were only announced late last year but I've not seen it mentioned anywhere that there would be a more expensive version that could do more.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Darknight
I've been lucky in that it hasn't caught me out but I bet you won't be alone in this situation. I don't think they've been very clear at all I've not seen this mentioned anywhere else, if it wasn't hidden away on the Retro Receiver page I would have ordered the ones that you have.

idc
I think it's because it's cheaper, you can't do as much with it but if all you want is to use it with is you Nintendo mini consoles they're fine. What's surprising is that the 2.4G versions were only announced late last year but I've not seen it mentioned anywhere that there would be a more expensive version that could do more.

I think what confuses me is you can buy the Retro Receiver now on Amazon and it makes no mention of the incompatibility anywhere. Shouldn't someone have already run into this issue?

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
It cost me $54.72 to the UK. That was for the express shipping but I think there was only about a $5 difference between the standard and express shipping so it seemed silly not to.

It's a lot when you look at the shipping on it's own but when I combine the shipping and the cost of the console, I still think it's a really good price.

Weird, I'm in the UK and express cost me $51.72.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
With that price difference, I wouldn't think there are large margins. Can you explain a little more detail about that idea?

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
With that price difference, I wouldn't think there are large margins. Can you explain a little more detail about that idea?
130$ is the base unit price. Wholesale volumes are much cheaper. The NT is 190$ without a controller. Adding SFC controller ports and a cart slot should make the margins rather good.

Unless they went with a custom design obviously (but I kind of doubt it)

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
When analyzing margins it is incredibly important not to forget R&D, which people constantly do. Material cost is only a slice of the pie. And FOSS is not a shortcut or a way to cut corners.

If you care about the sustainability of these sorts of devices be mindful not to demand race for the bottom project economics, or pushing for engineer burn out because that shit happens constantly.

cacophony

Oct 27, 2017
When analyzing margins it is incredibly important not to forget R&D, which people constantly do. Material cost is only a slice of the pie. And FOSS is not a shortcut or a way to cut corners.

If you care about the sustainability of these sorts of devices be mindful not to demand race for the bottom project economics, or pushing for engineer burn out because that shit happens constantly.

Totally agree. I hope they make a lot of money because they're the only company doing this and I want them to continue to make products. Kevtris was full time for more than a year on this and I hope they paid him a lot.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
All their prior products were custom boards, even the original NT, so I don't see why this would be any different.
The price was significantly higher

It's actually the low price that makes me think about it. Asking a DN10-Nano board without the usb ports and the gigabit port (and controlling the scanline switches and various effects through controller input) shoudl significantly reduce engineering time. I see it as beeing no different than pi3 logic boards for instance.

I would be happy if they went that way because it would be the best cyclone V available (110k logic connections) and would open the door to MiSTer like cores beeing loaded once jailbroken.

That is if the gpio connector is still there (mandatory for the sdram daughter board requiered for Amiga, 486 and ST cores)

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
Weird, I'm in the UK and express cost me $51.72.
Just double checked and it says $54.72 for "DHL Express 2", which was the more expensive option. I can't remember how the payment went though, did it ask whether we wanted to pay in dollars or pounds or could it simply be because of differences in the exchange rates when we ordered?

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just going to lie to myself that they're hinting about something with that photo.

I wonder when we'll start seeing reviews and stuff, it's driving me mad waiting for this machine.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just going to lie to myself that they're hinting about something with that photo.

I wonder when we'll start seeing reviews and stuff, it's driving me mad waiting for this machine.
I've been thinking the exact same thing lol. I know, according to kevtris, that hasn't developed that thus far, but this is so teasing....

cacophony

Oct 27, 2017
This is just Gamesack poking fun at the fact that they prefer the Genesis over the SNES.

I think there's a good chance we'll get all the 8 bit cores ported to the Super NT shortly after release, but the NES one might not be included (assuming they continue to sell a dedicated NES console).

Here's a black one that was sent to Peter Brown for review:
DUaW6BtUQAAeQhp.jpg:large

Sounds like the reviews will start coming out on Feb 7th

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
This is just Gamesack poking fun at the fact that they prefer the Genesis over the SNES.

I think there's a good chance we'll get all the 8 bit cores ported to the Super NT shortly after release, but the NES one might not be included (assuming they continue to sell a dedicated NES console).
Once jaibroken we'll get (albeit uncomplete) PCE and Genesis cores

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
How do you figure? I assume you're referring to the mist cores, but I don't see how a kevtris jailbreak would necessarily make it straightforward for anyone to get them running.
It's using the same FPGA as the MISTer. While the board may be different, I believe adapting the existing cores shouldn'T be too difficult

kappa_krey

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Are any other 4th gen consoles ready for prime time, FPGA-wise? I would be quite interested in an FPGA Neo Geo.

Maybe MegaDrive/Genesis. Think I remember Kevtris saying something about those cores a long while back. Aside from that, Neo-Geo would be great.

Hopefully in a few years we can start seeing FPGAs for the 5th gen consoles that are at least somewhat affordable.

Given the number of units they expect to sell (~5-10k) I wouldn't consider that a high profit margin

Yeah, volume discounts for SoC boards are usually not very large at all, vs. discrete and individual logic/connector/module/processor components where for many, even going into lower thousands starts knocking quite a few dollars off per piece and that adds up overall.

That said they may've gotten a really good deal for the board, it's not impossible to find or negotiate those kind of deals.

Last edited:

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe MegaDrive/Genesis. Think I remember Kevtris saying something about those cores a long while back. Aside from that, Neo-Geo would be great.

Hopefully in a few years we can start seeing FPGAs for the 5th gen consoles that are at least somewhat affordable.

Yeah, volume discounts for SoC boards are usually not very large at all, vs. discrete and individual logic/connector/module/processor components where for many, even going into lower thousands starts knocking quite a few dollars off per piece and that adds up overall.

That said they may've gotten a really good deal for the board, it's not impossible to find or negotiate those kind of deals.
The board is sold for educational purposes at 99$ and for personal use (so single board) at 130

I'm sure they can get a custom one (without the extra fluff they wouldn'T need) for a rather cheap price. Intel wants to make FPGAs popular and they are prety much subsiding them as is.

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
cacophony
They don't actually have any NES hardware hardware now, I'm pretty sure it's done and I'm also pretty sure that they've confirmed that they won't be returning to that console. I know that doesn't mean they won't return to it at some point, maybe in a form closer to the Super Nt at a much lower price than the older versions. I'd always understood that they announced this console because they were done with the Nt mini, I know that they still had a few in stock up until recently but not being actively producing that hardware would have freed them up to invest all their available resources into this production run.

That's one of the reasons that I am hoping for NES/Famicom support on this down the line and, I know that I'm pushing it here, with the direction that they seem to be going with add-on hardware for this (analogue output) that maybe even cartridge compatibility could be a thing at some point, obviously that would depend on where kevtris is with his work on that.

I've no idea what cores they'll release for this and as I've said previously, I'm actually happy with it if they didn't release any although it would be a real bonus if they did. I think all I'd really want was for the NES and Gameboy Advance to add a few more fames here and there.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for a) reviews and b) more live pics to help me choose a colour. 99% on the SNES colour scheme but dat black one.

I figure by end of March I can afford one.

also: man that wireless dongle is huge and ugly.

cacophony

Oct 27, 2017
cacophony
They don't actually have any NES hardware hardware now, I'm pretty sure it's done and I'm also pretty sure that they've confirmed that they won't be returning to that console.

It's hard to say for sure but I haven't seen any evidence to support this and I don't think it would really make sense for them to just drop it completely. Interest in a dedicated NES fpga solution is not going away and they've already incurred all the engineering costs to build one. My guess is that they're going to release a lower cost version that's plastic with only an hdmi output for around the cost of the Super Nt. If they were to release the NES core on the Super Nt it would significantly cannibalize the sales of this new system. For this same reason I don't believe they'll ever release a Genesis core for the Super Nt, because that's almost certainly a system they'll release in the future. But hey, I'd love to be wrong here!

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people claiming facts without any sources to back it up. I'm all for speculating, but please let others know that it's you speculating before making statements...

tumblr_ougmtvO1FZ1v1z098o1_400.gif

kappa_krey

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
The board is sold for educational purposes at 99$ and for personal use (so single board) at 130

I'm sure they can get a custom one (without the extra fluff they wouldn'T need) for a rather cheap price. Intel wants to make FPGAs popular and they are prety much subsiding them as is.

Good point; neat to see Intel wanting to push FPGAs. The Saturn J cores became open license a while back and I think I came across a couple of articles of people doing stuff w/ them (they got them up and running in Linux but terribly slow). If prices can get driven down faster sooner those J-core projects might see some interesting stuff come along.

Plus that'd benefit future SNES, Genesis etc. FPGA systems to maybe even hit that $99 sweet spot for mass market (ish) appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.