Status
Not open for further replies.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Tried some more things. Bought another SD card. Eliminated my USB card reader by plugging directly into my computer. Tried the wifes' computer. Let the system sit while updating it for a few hours. Still nothing. Still back to the yellow-orange LED every time.

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I feel like you can say you've exhausted your options at this point. Bummer :/

I wouldn't be surprised if Analogue has some reserved for this, though. Defects happen, unfortunately.

idc

Jan 20, 2018
Staffordshire, UK
I had no idea this was even a thing. I guess I'm glad I never put down the $200 for a SD2SNES. Or is the Analogue Super NT the only one that requires no-intro versions and the SD2SNES will run whatever?
They're not required, per se. They're just kind of curated, and more or less guaranteed to be "clean", raw dumps rather than have Super Magicom or Super Wild Card headers.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Yeah, I feel like you can say you've exhausted your options at this point. Bummer :/

I wouldn't be surprised if Analogue has some reserved for this, though. Defects happen, unfortunately.

Yup. As long as theres a replacement unit available, no biggie. Currently emailing Analogue and uploading a quick video of the update process to send to them. Their initial suggestion was to roll back the update, and reiterated that the machine is "unbrickable" provided the LED is still doing something. I dunno. I'll keep updating this thread. I think it's just a bad luck hardware defect.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Yup. As long as theres a replacement unit available, no biggie. Currently emailing Analogue and uploading a quick video of the update process to send to them. Their initial suggestion was to roll back the update, and reiterated that the machine is "unbrickable" provided the LED is still doing something. I dunno. I'll keep updating this thread. I think it's just a bad luck hardware defect.

It looks like they send out motherboards, not whole units, really easy to swap out, by all accounts.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Just thinking about this RGB colour fix, it's actually VERY poor, that it was shipped out in that state, I mean it's so far off the Snes in regards to colour, it's ridiculous! Christ knows how K or Analogue let that go.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
My god, any of you guys played Goemon 4? Fucking hell, how hard and annoying?

cacophony

Oct 27, 2017
Just thinking about this RGB colour fix, it's actually VERY poor, that it was shipped out in that state, I mean it's so far off the Snes in regards to colour, it's ridiculous! Christ knows how K or Analogue let that go.

Idk, not only did all of the major reviewers miss it, but mostly everyone who watched the review comparisons missed it too.

cacophony

Oct 27, 2017
In case anyone is interested, here is my general update process, and what my console is doing (it's just a phone video, the LED does blink much faster during update in person)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3R6GESoJS8&feature=youtu.be

Analogue has said it was interesting and asked me for a bit more information.

Keep us posted! Doing that video was a great idea.

Out of curiosity do you have access to a Windows laptop? If so, it might be worth trying the format/copy on it instead.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Keep us posted! Doing that video was a great idea.

Out of curiosity do you have access to a Windows laptop? If so, it might be worth trying the format/copy on it instead.

I don't unfortunately. I tried using the card straight out of the package without formatting it as well. The machine will still try and update like normal whether it's formatted or not. But I mean, again, the update did work just fine the first time. Something happened while I was playing around with some settings and Analogue didn't seem think using a Mac was an issue. I can't be the only person that's done this on a Mac?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Idk, not only did all of the major reviewers miss it, but mostly everyone who watched the review comparisons missed it too.

Many complained, Inc myself about dodgy colour, and knowing what we know now, it's a huge difference! Kevtris has been working side by side with real Snes systems, how would he not know? Madness.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
In case anyone is interested, here is my general update process, and what my console is doing (it's just a phone video, the LED does blink much faster during update in person)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3R6GESoJS8&feature=youtu.be

Analogue has said it was interesting and asked me for a bit more information.
OT: I like those N64 labels. I've seen them on Etsy but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Do you remember where you got them or which seller if it was on Etsy?

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I thought it looked great. I would have never noticed. Now that I see the improvement, I think the old looks like shit. But, yeah, I could have gone forever without knowing.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I was honestly about to buy a third one, but the shipping and customer service dialogue I had is keeping me from doing it. I'd have to hold onto it and flip it later.

trismegistus

Nov 1, 2017
I thought it looked great. I would have never noticed. Now that I see the improvement, I think the old looks like shit. But, yeah, I could have gone forever without knowing.
I'm pretty sure it depends on your display. On my TV, the way it looks if I turn on the limited range option is hideous, but it definitely didn't look like that on previous firmware. Reviewers who didn't notice the issue probably didn't encounter it because their display already correctly matched the range that the Super Nt was putting out.

Deleted member 39353

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Can anyone show a picture of the difference between the colors on old firmware vs. new? I see no difference, but I also didn't take any before and after pictures.

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't unfortunately. I tried using the card straight out of the package without formatting it as well. The machine will still try and update like normal whether it's formatted or not. But I mean, again, the update did work just fine the first time. Something happened while I was playing around with some settings and Analogue didn't seem think using a Mac was an issue. I can't be the only person that's done this on a Mac?

Nope. I use a Mac, with one distinct difference: Instead of ejecting my SD cards normally, I use a program called OptimUSB to remove it. Back in the days when I was using retroarch Wii, I had problems because macs create hidden files on media that messed with Retroarch and made it fail to start. OptimUSB claims to speed up your SD card but what it really does is delete all those hidden files and ejects the card. Hell, maybe you should try it? I think it's a buck on the App Store.

You can also use blue harvest, which has a 30 day free trial. Personally, for .99 I've gotten a lot of use out of OptimUSB.

Last edited:

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just checked across two browsers (and one i've never used on that site) and I'm only seeing the black in stock.
?? Are they gone now or is it just me.

-edit-
I have a black on order but i've been tempted to contact them to swap to a sfc color if they have them available.

They appear gone now, they were all there. My guess is they were just a few extras they got for the next shipment (cancellations/ declined debit cards) or it was an error.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I'll likely do this as well. It's too bad it adds up to 4ms of lag but it seems like a worthwhile trade off. I wish they were available from a US based seller/reseller.

Yeah, a tiny bit of lag, I doubt I'd notice it though.. 1/4 frame.

The 8bitdo controllers have a tiny amount of lag too right?

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Nope. I use a Mac, with one distinct difference: Instead of ejecting my SD cards normally, I use a program called OptimUSB to remove it. Back in the days when I was using retroarch Wii, I had problems because macs create hidden files on media that messed with Retroarch and made it fail to start. OptimUSB claims to speed up your SD card but what it really does is delete all those hidden files and ejects the card. Hell, maybe you should try it? I think it's a buck on the App Store.

You can also use blue harvest, which has a 30 day free trial. Personally, for .99 I've gotten a lot of use out of OptimUSB.

Dowloaded OptimUSB for the hell of it. Same issue. Thanks for the suggestion though.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Just received my ascii Grip and figured that I'd test it out by playing some Mystic Quest. XD

ascii-grip.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted a second one to have either as a backup or to use in a second setup with my PVM (especially if other cores get ported). And I like classic color far more than any of the other options.

Ah makes sense. Figured it was maybe for a NIB collector item. Though it did occur to me just now that IF these fail in the future for whatever reason... it's not like you can just buy a replacement :-\

Status
Not open for further replies.