• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
Last time they started shipping early, people just didn't know because it was too hard for the fulfillment center to send out emails in a timely manner. :P

Follow them on Twitter. They'll probably tweet out when round 3 orders are open and when they'll ship like they did with round 2. They probably didn't bother yesterday because it was just a small amount of each.

https://twitter.com/analogue_co
thank you

cacophony

Oct 27, 2017
Has Kevtris inadvertently fixed 1080p scanlines with 4.3? The only way it would work before was using HQX, but they look perfectly uniform to me, just using no scaler now, instead of bunching up in 3's.

20180227_2325045ep16.jpg

4.3 included some changes to tell a tv to disable overscan, so maybe that helped with your tv.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
The one I just ordered says it ships DHL into Canada. Did they switch it to UPS? I hope not. Ups fucking sucks.
I asked around and it sounds like the UPS international shipments were an error by the fulfillment center and will not happen in the next round (or so they say). I'm with you on UPS being bullshit, I hate that company and probably would have forgone getting one of these if that was the only shipping option to Canada.

-edit-
https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/360000634171-Super-Nt-Now-Shipping-2-9-18-Update
"Some international orders we're shipped out via UPS instead of DHL. Our shipping partner's system automatically did this when certain addresses were rejected for some reason or another. We don't have any more information than that, but we're frustrated about it too. We apologize for this and in the event you paid for 2-day or anything above regular DHL Express, we will of course refund you the difference."

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Has Kevtris inadvertently fixed 1080p scanlines with 4.3? The only way it would work before was using HQX, but they look perfectly uniform to me, just using no scaler now, instead of bunching up in 3's.

20180227_2325045ep16.jpg

Kevtris has stated he hasn't touched scanlines yet as he will only tackle this after he got rid of some remaining bugs. I also tried 1080p after the last update, and scanlines still didn't look right, best to keep it at 720p at the moment.

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
I think if you are buying a $240 SNES in 2018, you're probably a geek and technically literate. Analogue isn't selling in retail stores. It's a niche product with a niche fanbase.

I can't fault them for not having a big support staff or just sending out replacement parts.

Actually, as someone who purchased this pretty much when it was first announced, I'm just the opposite. I bought this as a plug and play because I absolutely hate dealing with this kind of issue.

I haven't had much time to play around with mine yet, but even updating the firmware is getting me anxious.

The colors for Lufia 2 when I popped it in looked weird and overall, I'm not super happy...

(To be clear, I'm not looking to sell though; I'll cope.)

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, as someone who purchased this pretty much when it was first announced, I'm just the opposite. I bought this as a plug and play because I absolutely hate dealing with this kind of issue.

I haven't had much time to play around with mine yet, but even updating the firmware is getting me anxious.

The colors for Lufia 2 when I popped it in looked weird and overall, I'm not super happy...

(To be clear, I'm not looking to sell though; I'll cope.)
If you go to 4.3 the colors are fixed.

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
Thanks Wereroku.
Really dumb question, but what size SD card does thing take?
I can't seem to find online and haven't been on home.

gnadenlos

Oct 28, 2017
You could fix scanlines on the old firmware without using scalers by changing Vertical Position by a few pixels. With activated scalers only a few settings (HQ3 AFAIR) had the right scanline position and you couldn't use Vertical Position to fix it - you had to change to a different scaler option to move the scanlines to the right position. I haven't checked if they changed something with 4.3 - maybe they changed the initial Vertical Position value.

In 4.3 you shouldn't use HQ2, HQ3 or HQ4 scalers, because they still use the wrong colors - orange gets almost yellow for example. If you use "no scaler" colors are much better now.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Quick update,

Looks like they'll be sending me a motherboard. They also supply return shipping label, as they don't let you keep the old board. They want it to diagnose it.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Question to those who have been shipped a motherboard: Do they supply you with the proper screwdrivers? I don't think I have those special hex ones they've demonstrated in the video.

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Quick update,

Looks like they'll be sending me a motherboard. They also supply return shipping label, as they don't let you keep the old board. They want it to diagnose it.

Yeah, I had a feeling they wouldn't be letting you keep that. They need to make sure it's just an isolated defect and not a design fault.

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Question to those who have been shipped a motherboard: Do they supply you with the proper screwdrivers? I don't think I have those special hex ones they've demonstrated in the video.

It's just a torx driver. They're pretty standard in most electronics screwdriver sets. I highly recommend you getting one if you don't have one; a lot of electronics these days use it or a security torx. Truth be told, I love torx screws... they're far less likely to strip than Philips head.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Quick update,

Well, I guess the positive is that you're getting a replacement. Are they shipping it and then you have to return the defective board; or are they asking that you send the bad board first, then they ship the replacement?

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Can't roms be saved? I'm about to buy an NT so that's a bummer.

The 8bitdo controller with retro receiver isn't available in Europe yet. Also have to import one.

Wish Analogue would include a controller, because the import fees for the controller and console alone will be around 85 euro/100 $
Just buy an old SNES controller locally?

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Can't roms be saved? I'm about to buy an NT so that's a bummer.
He is talking about the hacked firmware. Rom saves don't get saved. If you play by cart then you're fine.

The 8bitdo controller with retro receiver isn't available in Europe yet. Also have to import one.

Wish Analogue would include a controller, because the import fees for the controller and console alone will be around 85 euro/100 $
I just wish the would sell the controller on their site and not send you off to amazon. Sadly 2 of the colors are on back order atm =(
Also at least for the first batch of consoles most people got away with no customs as they were marking the value at $10.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Thanks. Looking at the prices of some SFC games I feel like I should pick some up.
I'm tempted to buy a box of random used sfc games form japan. I've had good luck in the past for other systems and when you factor in all cost you're paying like $3-5 a cart. Sure you might get a few dups but if you organize the order with a friend/coworker it helps sort some of that out.

Oct 25, 2017

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Basic take away: 8Bitdo has about half a frame of lag compared to a wired OEM controller but that figure is inconsistent, possibly due to wireless interference.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
He is talking about the hacked firmware. Rom saves don't get saved. If you play by cart then you're fine.

I just wish the would sell the controller on their site and not send you off to amazon. Sadly 2 of the colors are on back order atm =(
Also at least for the first batch of consoles most people got away with no customs as they were marking the value at $10.

I only got three original carts :(
The black controller will be available in 2-5 months on Amazon. Crazy.

I will wait for the next batch, but damn I wish I had one now. I just dreamed that I played Sunset Riders with my kid brother. Just like we used to, looooong ago. Dem
memories ;_;

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Well, I guess the positive is that you're getting a replacement. Are they shipping it and then you have to return the defective board; or are they asking that you send the bad board first, then they ship the replacement?

They've been a bit slow to get back to me again, but it sounded like they send the board and a return shipping label at the same time, so get board first, send old one back. Not too bad.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

As someone who really only dips into this thread for Super Nt news has their been a lot of issues with the Super Nt beyond what some have reported in this thread?

trismegistus

Nov 1, 2017
As someone who really only dips into this thread for Super Nt news has their been a lot of issues with the Super Nt beyond what some have reported in this thread?
I think most of the significant issues have been brought up here (the colors, a few games crashing on the 4.1 firmware, SRAM save issues with the jailbreak firmware). The most recent firmware fixed the colors and most of the crashes. Monopoly is still a threat, apparently, but kevtris has said he has a fix for that on the way. There have been a few other miscellaneous graphical glitches mentioned; it's not always clear whether they are Super Nt issues, SD2SNES issues, dirty cartridges, or what, but they're being looked into. Obviously cgatto's hardware failure is an issue but that seems to be an isolated occurrence. Most people seem pretty happy with it.

One minor thing I haven't seen mentioned here is that the "menu bounce" option disappeared in the 4.3 firmware; that is also being fixed.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada

Please don't let my experience deter you. As far as I know I'm the only reported case of my specific issue, so most likely a rare and unlucky defect. Every piece of hardware ever made is going to some sort of failure percentage. The quality of the Super NT is top-notch. I am only annoyed that I can't enjoy mine right now! I wouldn't dream of returning it outright, it's a great product.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I think most of the significant issues have been brought up here (the colors, a few games crashing on the 4.1 firmware, SRAM save issues with the jailbreak firmware). The most recent firmware fixed the colors and most of the crashes. Monopoly is still a threat, apparently, but kevtris has said he has a fix for that on the way. There have been a few other miscellaneous graphical glitches mentioned; it's not always clear whether they are Super Nt issues, SD2SNES issues, dirty cartridges, or what, but they're being looked into. Obviously cgatto's hardware failure is an issue but that seems to be an isolated occurrence. Most people seem pretty happy with it.

One minor thing I haven't seen mentioned here is that the "menu bounce" option disappeared in the 4.3 firmware; that is also being fixed.

Oh, I should've been more clear with what I meant. I was more referring to hardware failure. I'm sure they'll get to where they need to be with the firmware updates but I've seen some talk about hardware failure here and I wanted to get a sense of how widespread it was.

Please don't let my experience deter you. As far as I know I'm the only reported case of my specific issue, so most likely a rare and unlucky defect. Every piece of hardware ever made is going to some sort of failure percentage. The quality of the Super NT is top-notch. I am only annoyed that I can't enjoy mine right now! I wouldn't dream of returning it outright, it's a great product.

Yeah, mine's been great so far but I guess I just wanted to determine if this is something I should worry about.

trismegistus

Nov 1, 2017
Oh, I should've been more clear with what I meant. I was more referring to hardware failure. I'm sure they'll get to where they need to be with the firmware updates but I've seen some talk about hardware failure here and I wanted to get a sense of how widespread it was.
Oh. Yeah, I keep up with the threads in a few places and I haven't seen anybody else with that issue.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Thanks, but my couch is a bit too far of the TV

That's what controller extension cables are for.

Okay, thanks. Maybe I should just wait for the inevitable update that makes it possible to save roms :)

It is there now, it just has some sort of bug, so it isn't reliable.

Anyway, I picked up a copy of Yoshi's Island at a game store ($35) and Star Fox from ebay ($15) since they aren't supported by the jailbreak, or an SD2SNES if I ever get one. I could have just played it on the SNES classic but I don't have that hooked up that often.

I've never played a ton of Yoshi's Island (I think I played a hunk of it on GBA) so that should be fun.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyway, I picked up a copy of Yoshi's Island at a game store ($35) and Star Fox from ebay ($15) since they aren't supported by the jailbreak, or an SD2SNES if I ever get one. I could have just played it on the SNES classic but I don't have that hooked up that often.

I've never played a ton of Yoshi's Island (I think I played a hunk of it on GBA) so that should be fun.
A good thing to remember for the future is that if a game doesn't rely on text too much it's usually better to get the Super Famicom version since it's cheaper. Like I got legit SF versions of Yoshis Island and Kirby Super Star for $15 each from eBay

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Just grabbed Yoshi's Island SFC for $18 on eBay. There is a game store down the street from my place selling a US Star Fox for $15. I might grab a repro Star Fox 2 down the line.

I am looking at picking some story driven boxed SFC stuff down the line. I love the FFVI boxart and it isn't too expensive so I definitely want that.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
A good thing to remember for the future is that if a game doesn't rely on text too much it's usually better to get the Super Famicom version since it's cheaper. Like I got legit SF versions of Yoshis Island and Kirby Super Star for $15 each from eBay

Never been big on playing games in Japanese (even if there isn't much text) just to save a couple of bucks. $35 wasn't too outrageous, it was about the going ebay price anyway.

Got a SNES 5-play multitap for $20 also which was a bit of a deal vs ebay pricing.

Not like I can't resell any games later if I want.

I'm still amazed at how high SNES prices have gotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.