goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
The reason I jumped in to XBO this gen and bought the X at launch without hesitation after being PS4-only for 4 years, was because of Ninja Gaiden Black (at 4K/60fps/16:9 no less). I didn't even have to buy the game because I already owned it digitally from the 360 days.

I've spent a ton of time on BC titles since, everything from The Orange Box to Omega Five. And my wife has be super happy playing the likes of Zuma and Earthworm Jim again.

Not quite sure what your spending habits has to do with the majority of customers.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Great job OP!

Microsoft's job done with BC has been damned spectacular and is absolutely a good reason to stay in the ecosystem. They've set their bar...now expectations are when the new hardware comes out in 2020, old games will continue to get enhanced.

With the overwhelming amount of new choices you wouldn't think it matters...but being able to buy an old great game you never beat or played super cheap makes a huge difference. Sometimes it's nice to put down today's bloated open world games and play something from the last 2 generations where you had tighter game design.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Not quite sure what your spending habits has to do with the majority of customers.
Well I didn't exactly see you providing any hard evidence one way or another, and a discussion forum is here for us to provide our own experiences. You suggested BC was pointless because it hasn't helped MS close the gap between XBO and PS4, when you have no idea whether the gap would actually be much larger if BC didn't exist.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
Well I didn't exactly see you providing any hard evidence one way or another, and a discussion forum is here for us to provide our own experiences. You suggested BC was pointless because it hasn't helped MS close the gap between XBO and PS4, when you have no idea whether the gap would actually be much larger if BC didn't exist.

I'm not sure how I can provide evidence that doesn't exist, however the evidence is clear that having BC hasn't helped MS close the gap on Sony... because since having BC the gap hasn't closed. In fact the ratio pretty much has remained the same.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure how I can provide evidence that doesn't exist, however the evidence is clear that having BC hasn't helped MS close the gap on Sony... because since having BC the gap hasn't closed. In fact the ratio pretty much has remained the same.

Who gives a shit? Are you a shareholder or do you just like derailing threads.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Mindshare and goodwill. Moving into next gen most people feel confident not only will the next Xbox have BC but that the games will actually have improved performance and maybe even resolution.

You can't put a price on that. Still, if you want argue about sales and winning in a backwards compatability thread then you charge on.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Mindshare and goodwill. Moving into next gen most people feel confident not only will the next Xbox have BC but that the games will actually have improved performance and maybe even resolution.

You can't put a price on that. Still, if you want argue about sales and winning in a backwards compatability thread then you charge on.

Not only that but with Digital becoming the dominate way we buy and consume games having BC and carrying your library over is critical. It's laying the foundation down for the future.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
If the ratio has stayed the same the last two years during Sony's strongest first party lineup of all time and Microsoft's worst, then that's a pretty good showing for BC!

Only it doesn't work like that, does it. Because that would be far too simplistic, just like your argument.

Microsoft actually has the numbers and they continue to invest in BC so it's obviously getting used. And if you think that next gen buyers won't expect to be able to play their amassed digital libraries from this gen then I don't know what to say.

Another advantage of the BC commitment isn't just about the past, but the future. You can feel positive buying games from the Xbox Store knowing you're going to be able to play them next gen, and likely via xCloud, and even PC of they're Play Anywhere.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't know or care if BC is 'closing the gap', but i do care that it exists as a customer. It's one of the reasons i've bought an xbox and will be one of the deciders going forward. If PS5 doesn't have BC then i won't even consider buying it until gen end when everything will be dirt cheap and used. BC is important for everyone that plays anything other than the latest hits.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
Who gives a shit? Are you a shareholder or do you just like derailing threads.
What kind of console warrior bullshit is this?

I don't know or care if BC is 'closing the gap', but i do care that it exists as a customer. It's one of the reasons i've bought an xbox and will be one of the deciders going forward. If PS5 doesn't have BC then i won't even consider buying it until gen end when everything will be dirt cheap and used. BC is important for everyone that plays anything other than the latest hits.

Sorry guys but my quote is taken out of context (with wiips360 saying I hadn't provided evidence), when the OP questions if BC matters and in my first post I state I support BC and hope next gen consoles include it.

Not wanting to upset folks :)

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Bit late but here is another update for the recent weeks:

- 5 new games were added in the last two weeks, and for the first time a release on a Wednesday
- As was announced last year, Ace Combat 6 launched on BC this week making it the first entry available on BC
- EA & Microsoft treated us to a big dose of RTS on console with 4(!) Command & Conquer games all available at once on the BC program
- We can scrape another two franchises from the missing franchises list. Both Ace Combat and Command & Conquer see their first entries in the BC library
- With EA releasing 4 new games this week it brings their total to 42 games on BC. This takes them level with Ubisoft for second place. Bandai Namco now has 19 games available
- EA leaps past Deep Silver and Capcom in the percentage chart, with Bandai Namco passing Konami
- EA moves past Codemasters, Bethesda and Ubisoft in the exclusions chart

Runwhiteboyrun

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bit late but here is another update for the recent weeks:

- 5 new games were added in the last two weeks, and for the first time a release on a Wednesday
- As was announced last year, Ace Combat 6 launched on BC this week making it the first entry available on BC
- EA & Microsoft treated us to a big dose of RTS on console with 4(!) Command & Conquer games all available at once on the BC program
- We can scrape another two franchises from the missing franchises list. Both Ace Combat and Command & Conquer see their first entries in the BC library
- With EA releasing 4 new games this week it brings their total to 42 games on BC. This takes them level with Ubisoft for second place. Bandai Namco now has 19 games available
- EA leaps past Deep Silver and Capcom in the percentage chart, with Bandai Namco passing Konami
- EA moves past Codemasters, Bethesda and Ubisoft in the exclusions chart

Awesome updates overall, thanks for the hard work.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018

Well deserved! Great JOB!!

giphy.gif

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
Mauro threads are my favorite as they usually involve bc announcements and epic Xbox sales. Your work is much appreciated.

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Well deserved! Great JOB!!

giphy.gif
One of the best op's on era ever!

I love bc! 4k civ revolution is my jam.
This is an awesome breakdown for a very cool program. Hope they eventually get to 100%.
Very nice! Always great to see ResetERA users get some exposure. This one was very well deserved.
this OP was incredibly well done
Mauro threads are my favorite as they usually involve bc announcements and epic Xbox sales. Your work is much appreciated.
Thank you all for the kind words!

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
First update in two weeks for the thread so here is the breakdown:

- With two new games added on January 31th the months total comes to 10 games. All January's combined now total 50 games, averaging 12,5 games each January.
- LEGO Batman 2 is the 8th LEGO game added to the BC program. The only title missing is LEGO Lord of the Rings, which seems unlikely to ever go BC. The remaining titles have all been (re)released on Xbox One.
- Port Royale 3 is only the third Kalypso published game available on BC after Tropico 4 and Blood Knights
- There are now 4 King of Fighters Xbox 360 games playable on Xbox One, plus another KOF title from the original Xbox so a total of 5 KOF titles on BC.
- Orcs Must Die! is the first Microsoft published new BC game since Fable Heroes in June of last year (7 months ago)
- Warner adds its 6th BC game, passing Deep Silver. SNK adds its 9th BC game and is now level with Eidos.
- SNK adding its 9th BC game now puts them at 75% of its total 360 library on BC, which makes them the number one publisher in that regard.
- With Warner' 6th BC game added it now passes the red latern to Activision which now holds the lowest percentage of BC games released.

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Its Capcom BC day! Five (well 4.5-ish) new Capcom games today was a welcome surprise. Lets have a look what that all means:

- We are treated to five new Capcom games today, the first Capcom release since July 2017 (SSFIV: AE).
- Another highly requested franchise is now playable on Xbox One with BC, Lost Planet 1, 2 and 3 are now available.
- There seems to be a slight shift towards 'franchise releases' on BC, with Lost Planet 1-3 today, and prior trilogy releases like Crysis, Castlevania LoS, FFXIII and C&C3.
- Having all Lost Planet games on BC means the game is now removed from the Missing Franchises list and added to the Franchise Fully Playable list.
- Resident Evil Code Veronica X is actually the very first Resident Evil game that is now BC.
- Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City is now the only Xbox 360 RE title left that is not playable on Xbox One either natively or through BC.
- With the 5 new Capcom games added today it brings the Japanese giants total to 20 games, putting them level with Konami as the second best Japanese publisher on BC. SEGA is still the very best and most active Japanese publisher on BC with 40 titles.
- Capcom is now tied with Konami as the fifth publisher with the highest number of games on BC.
- Capcom jump 6 places up the Highest Percentage BC chart, bumping their percentage from 21% to 31%.
- Capcom also moves up 4 places on the exclusions chart, with a percentage of 32%.
- We are slowly but surely creeping towards 600 BC games total, including Original Xbox. Just 20 more games to go.
- We are tracking at the exact same pace as last year in terms of releases, with 17 titles as of February 22 just like last year.

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Been a while since I updated the OP so here is the recap of the last few weeks.

- 4 new games were added to BC in the last 3 weeks, 3 of which are Microsoft published and 1 Konami.
- Crackdown 2, another highly requested title, was finally added to BC. This also makes the Crackdown franchise now fully playable on Xbox One, bringing the total number of franchises to 22.
- With the addition of Castlevania Harmony of Despair all 5 Xbox 360 Castlevania titles have now been given the BC treatment.
- Konami now has 21 titles supported with BC, which makes them the second best Japanese publisher after SEGA, and now 1 more than Capcom.
- Konami has now passed Bandai Namco in the percentage chart.
- We finished the month of February with 9 new games, which is two more than we got in February last year.
- The total number of BC Xbox 360 games has finally passed the 550+ titles mark. Including Original Xbox titles we are nearing 600+ titles, which could be achieved as early as April.
- By this time last year we had 23 titles for the year, this year the tally stands at 21 titles so far.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of 4K on Crackdown 2 is definitely a bummer. Nice they finally did it I guess though. I wonder how much work making one BC is.

I would definitely be more inclined to get an X if more console/xbox exclusive games from that gen were upresed.

600 is insane though, and props to the team for that, although it does make the number of 4k games look even more paltry.

Feb 27, 2019
I would definitely be more inclined to get an X if more console/xbox exclusive games from that gen were upresed.

600 is insane though, and props to the team for that, although it does make the number of 4k games look even more paltry.

Guessing the work involved in the X enhancements is not trivial—let's hope we get some more on April's Inside Xbox! My guess is also that the emulator is at a point where most of the work needed is in securing publisher agreements, etc. But what do I know. With all the love from Capcom recently I'd love to see Asura's Wrath—never finished it before packing my 360 away...

Also hoping for another batch of OG Xbox games announced on April's Inside Xbox!

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Guessing the work involved in the X enhancements is not trivial—let's hope we get some more on April's Inside Xbox! My guess is also that the emulator is at a point where most of the work needed is in securing publisher agreements, etc. But what do I know. With all the love from Capcom recently I'd love to see Asura's Wrath—never finished it before packing my 360 away...

Also hoping for another batch of OG Xbox games announced on April's Inside Xbox!

It definitely is probably a lot smoother although even for standard straight bc they have to test the entire game.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I think they should deploy the enhancements to all games. It already has a toggle. Just leave it disabled by default and change it on the games already tested/optimized. A simple warning it may cause issues if turned on is OK. I bet many games would run fine by default.
At least would be something. The lack of enhancements and the silence about them are too much.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they should deploy the enhancements to all games. It already has a toggle. Just leave it disabled by default and change it on the games already tested/optimized. A simple warning it may cause issues if turned on is OK. I bet many games would run fine by default.
At least would be something. The lack of enhancements and the silence about them are too much.
LOL It's a toggle AFTER they have been through the process of enhancement. There's not a toggle that automatically enhances 360 games. That has to manually be done for every game individually and varies due to all the different game engines and unique ways they were coded.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
LOL It's a toggle AFTER they have been through the process of enhancement. There's not a toggle that automatically enhances 360 games. That has to manually be done for every game individually and varies due to all the different game engines and unique ways they were coded.
I think you don't understand it's one emulator, with tweaked settings on a game basis. Obviously the emulator is the same across all games, with features just not enabled if they don't seen fit. And yes I know the toggle is visible only on enhanced games.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you don't understand it's one emulator, with tweaked settings on a game basis. Obviously the emulator is the same across all games, with features just not enabled if they don't seen fit. And yes I know the toggle is visible only on enhanced games.
I think you don't understand and massively simplified it.

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Time to recap the last two weeks of releases

- AirMech Arena is the 300th Xbox Live Arcade game released through BC. (Roughly 38% of the total XBLA library)
- 24 games have been released thusfar this year, so we got an average 8 games every month.
- Ubisoft reclaim their number two spot in the overall number of BC games released chart. 45 Ubisoft games can be played with BC.
- Ubisoft moves past Capcom in the percentage chart, and past Bethesda and EA in the exclusions chart
- GRAW 2 is the 10th Tom Clancy Xbox 360 game on BC, which leaves HAWX 2 as the last remaining TC game not on BC.
- Brothers in Arms Hells Highway is the first Brothers in Arms entry on BC, and the third Gearbox developed game on BC.
- Last year March had 6 games released, this March had 5 so far so in terms of pacing and output this year its been virtually the same as last year.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
From the OP

"One example I can recall is when Call of Duty Black Ops II hit BC on April 11, 2017. The following month the game charted at number 10 in the NPD Chart, 5 years after the game was released. "

I mean, that's an insane stat "sales" wise.

I meant hardware sales, clearly if a game becomes available some will buy the game, but there's no evidence that having BC has improved h/w sales, unless in the same month the h/w also saw a spike? Which would be interesting.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
You're over simplifying it. X enhancements are simply not possible on all 360 games. They discussed it when the first batch rolled out. 360 games have to be built in a specific way that allows the game to be x enhanced and upressed. If they were not (at most games were not), then gg you just can't do it. At least not to the standard of other x enhanced games. Every original Xbox game is (for some reason) able to be enhanced, but that's held back by a different reason.

MS definitely has the capability to release more. But it's not entirely on the BC team either.

I meant hardware sales, clearly if a game becomes available some will buy the game, but there's no evidence that having BC has improved h/w sales, unless in the same month the h/w also saw a spike? Which would be interesting.
This is a meaningless assertion. You're not saying there's no evidence it improved HW sales. What you're saying is that you don't know what impact it has had on hardware sales. You have no A/B testing to say that there wasn't a spike.

Regardless, who the hell cares? Are you suggesting that Sony and MS shouldn't provide BC if it doesn't sell consoles? Cuz.. No. That's dumb. Especially when MS isn't even using console sales as the primary growth metric.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
You're over simplifying it. X enhancements are simply not possible on all 360 games. They discussed it when the first batch rolled out. 360 games have to be built in a specific way that allows the game to be x enhanced and upressed. If they were not (at most games were not), then gg you just can't do it. At least not to the standard of other x enhanced games. Every original Xbox game is (for some reason) able to be enhanced, but that's held back by a different reason.

MS definitely has the capability to release more. But it's not entirely on the BC team either.
Well Red Dead was apparently a mess of a code to the point where it couldn't be ported to PC but they got that working at 4K.

If it's game engine based, plenty of Unreal 3 and RAGE games that could be enhanced. GTA4, MCLA, Max Payne 3, Lost Odyssey etc.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Well Red Dead was apparently a mess of a code to the point where it couldn't be ported to PC but they got that working at 4K.

If it's game engine based, plenty of Unreal 3 and RAGE games that could be enhanced. GTA4, MCLA, Max Payne 3, Lost Odyssey etc.

It's not game engine based, it depends on how the game is coded, which setting are hardcoded and how, how the game uses its assets and so on. It's an arduous task, and it can't be applied across the board, otherwise they'd do that the same way they're handling automatic X enhancements to Xbox One games.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
It's not game engine based, it depends on how the game is coded, which setting are hardcoded and how, how the game uses its assets and so on. It's an arduous task, and it can't be applied across the board, otherwise they'd do that the same way they're handling automatic X enhancements to Xbox One games.
Yea it's just weird that this notorious code mess game got enhanced then. Maybe RDR1 wasn't that big of a mess after all.

Also pretty sure your last line is bullshit but whatever. There's multiple MS published XB1 games that have no enhancement.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Just stumbled upon this thread. That's some serious work right there. Kudos OP.

Edit:
You're over simplifying it. X enhancements are simply not possible on all 360 games.
If we are to be pedantic, there's no reason they wouldn't be possible. But they may produce instability, visual artifacts, etc. I'm pretty sure the bulk of the work in enhancing games isn't so much in tweaking the emulator than in testing that those enhancement don't break the game at some point.

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

You might be right, I won't pretend like I actually know. But that was the wording when the first batch came out and they were explaining why some 360 games were getting enhanced, but not all (whereas all the OG ones were). They didn't mention anything about engine, but they were fairly vague to begin with (as they should have been). It could just happen to be that it's not about the cleanliness of the code per se that determines the difficulty of the task (I don't think it is) but maybe something tied to how you decided to build/render/whatever the game in the early stages. Don't know. Wish it were not the case, but they were definitely up front about most 360 games not being available for enhancements.

I tried to go trawling for news articles to back this up, but I can't find any. So maybe I made it all up in my brain. Or I'm just not looking in the right places. Sorry, don't know :/ Hope more will come, for sure.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Yea it's just weird that this notorious code mess game got enhanced then. Maybe RDR1 wasn't that big of a mess after all.

Those are two different things. Porting to a different platform requires writing new code (which again requires reading and analyzing existing code) and then compiling a new executable. BC, including BC enhancements, is done without messing with the source code at all, Microsoft's engineers don't have access to it. The old executable is partially disassembled, and then recompiled into a new virtualized wrapper. All the new changes are basically hacks on the executable.

Also pretty sure your last line is bullshit but whatever. There's multiple MS published XB1 games that have no enhancement.

No, I was referring to how certain enhancements (forced vsync, 16x AF, and so on) are added automatically to all games that are not manually enhanced. They are only turned off for specific titles if testing shows that they are causing problems. The way that Microsoft does it they can't reliably enhance everything that way (i.e. resolution, textures...) - if they could do that, they would, there's no reason for them not to. Those things can only be done on a case by case basis, and the way they were explained to us, they require a lot of work for each title.

I tried to go trawling for news articles to back this up, but I can't find any.

Here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...x-one-x-back-compat-how-does-it-actually-work