• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
They should release BF games in late May, just in time for kids to play during the summer and it'll have more of its dlc content in time for the fall. It will also be a good time to discount sell it a few weeks before COD launches.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
They flubbed the marketing, the incels are very hard to drown out making it seem like everyone is against the game and the Beta hasn't arrived yet despite the game releasing in two months (though this is typical for Battlefield, this sort of practice isn't common for betas anymore.)

They're fighting an uphill battle.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I was actually very defensive of the women thing in the reveal trailer, and was fairly excited for the game as the details sound very tactical and hardcore, however, my hype dropped to zero instantly after seeing the alpha gameplay & livestreams, the game just feels too much like BF1 (lighting, color pattern, texture and UI) and almost seems kinda boring if I have to be perfectly honest, at least it ''looks'' boring to me.

This is borderline my least hyped Battlefield game ever, I was more hyped about Hardline than this.

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
The ratio of likes to dislikes is insane to me. That there are that many pathetic manchildren out there.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Oh hey, Angry Joe still exists.

That wasn't a good video. He doesn't present any evidence to make his case. He just says, "You think it's because of this thing, well I think it's because of this thing", while saying "SJWs" in a stupid voice.

That's not going to convince anyone who wasn't already on your side. I see the dislike ratio is not being particularly kind to him.

As for BFV... eh. I was initially put off by the WWII thing. That conflict has been done to fucking death. Then the reveal got me back on board with its goofy comic book version of WWII. Now after seeing actual gameplay... eh. It just looks like WWII vanilla. I'll probably pick it up because I do like the BF formula and I'm completely uninterested in RDR2 or COD. Not remotely excited for it though. Maybe the beta will change my mind.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think its just the last several years of DICE dropping the ball finally catching up to them.

Battlefield 1 was unexciting for what it was Battlefront 1 and 2 where obviously didnt do anyone any favors.

BFV seems OK and I dont see any giant red flags with it. It looks like its going to be "fine" in the same way Battlefield 1 was "fine". But that is kinda dull and probably isnt going to stop a lot of the online crowd from playing Fortnite or buying COD again

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
I think BATTLEFIELD V will be great, especially once everyone sees that it is closer to Bad Company 2 than any other BATTLEFIELD game.

I do think the marketing for BFV has been a complete disaster, and they really need to step their shit up... Especially when it comes to trailers, now that Roland Smedberg is gone.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I wish the release during the holiday season thing died. I get why they do it, I just don't like it.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this the first major EA game after Battlefront 2? Yeah the karma from that clusterfuck plus previous screw ups is finally catching up to them. I'm pretty sure there's a major overlap between SWBF and BF players, and those people burnt by SWBF2 are probably staying away from this, at least until reviews start dropping. And of course women-hating losers are there to take the credit as always.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Eh. Fuck EA"

Absolutely, 100% why I'm not buying this after buying every god damned Battlefield game minus Hardline.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I don't get the whole "Fuck EA" thing... Have they done some shitty stuff, absolutely. But, if they aren't doing it with this game, why not support it and NOT support the games that try and micro transaction the shit out of you?

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I guess I don't get the whole "Fuck EA" thing... Have they done some shitty stuff, absolutely. But, if they aren't doing it with this game, why not support it and NOT support the games that try and micro transaction the shit out of you?
Yeah I find that pretty weird too. The game's entire roadmap is a huge mea culpa for past transgressions. No season pass. No microtransactions. Free content over time that keeps the entire player base together over the life of the game.

This is what the end result of 'Fuck EA' actually brought and the response is still 'Fuck EA'. k.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
EA's mistake was lumping those complaining about the style in with those complaining about women. Then telling them to not buy it. And their shitty justifications didnt help.

Last edited:

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I find that pretty weird too. The game's entire roadmap is a huge mea culpa for past transgressions. No season pass. No microtransactions. Free content over time that keeps the entire player base together over the life of the game.

This is what the end result of 'Fuck EA' actually brought and the response is still 'Fuck EA'. k.
Have they announced what is there day 1? and a dlc roadmap? I won't buy because I don't trust them ill let someone else be the guinea pig. Plenty of other games to buy and play. If it ends up being good ill buy BFV on when its on sale.

How come? It was surprisingly enjoyable. The PC version seems solid as well.

I had a better time than I did with the BFV Alpha
Just for every reason he stated in the video. But I agree the Black Ops 4 beta was great. I can't wait to see what is in store for the Blackout beta

Last edited:

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Have they announced what is there day 1? and a dlc roadmap? I won't buy because I don't trust them ill let someone else be the guinea pig. Plenty of other games to buy and play. If it ends up being good ill buy BFV on when its on sale.
No this is another massive issue. They havent announced anything apart from it happening. And based on EA and DICE in the past they believe one month news posts are road maps so dont think you'll get some sort of extended 6 month road map like you should.

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I don't understand why this "weak" pre-orders is even a narrative we're giving credence. CoD has always sold better, and RDR2 is RDR2. Is being behind those two really newsworthy in the first place? And BF1 was so extremely hyped up that it would be surprising if the very next game didn't cool the series a little. Very few IPs just grow and grow forever. Hell, has anything except GTA and maybe soon RDR managed?

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
EA's mistake was lumping those complaining about the style in with those complaining about women. Then telling them to not buy it. And their shitty justifications didnt help.
When did this happen?
"We felt like in today's world—I have a 13-year-old daughter that when the trailer came out and she saw all the flak, she asked me, 'Dad, why's this happening?'" Soderlund said.

"She plays Fortnite, and says, 'I can be a girl in Fortnite. Why are people so upset about this?' She looked at me and she couldn't understand it. And I'm like, ok, as a parent, how the hell am I gonna respond to this, and I just said, 'You know what? You're right. This is not okay.'"

"These are people who are uneducated—they don't understand that this is a plausible scenario, and listen: this is a game," he added. "And today gaming is gender-diverse, like it hasn't been before. There are a lot of female people who want to play, and male players who want to play as a badass [woman]."

"And we don't take any flak. We stand up for the cause, because I think those people who don't understand it, well, you have two choices: either accept it or don't buy the game. I'm fine with either or. It's just not ok."
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news..._on_backlash_against_women_in_Battlefield.php

Soderlund is clearly calling out one viewpoint here.
I don't understand why this "weak" pre-orders is even a narrative we're giving credence. CoD has always sold better, and RDR2 is RDR2. Is being behind those two really newsworthy in the first place? And BF1 was so extremely hyped up that it would be surprising if the very next game didn't cool the series a little. Very few IPs just grow and grow forever. Hell, has anything except GTA and maybe soon RDR managed?
Yep. The headline is being twisted as a victory for shitheads.

"Game not as popular as year's two most popular games" probably doesn't make as many waves or get as many clicks. Who knew.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, this was EA 18 years ago.
mv5bzmy3ywnkzwutn2iyzv8fiw.jpg

It's not a matter of "It's <current year>". Female characters in FPS games did not make anyone blink in the late 90s, early 2000s. Delta Force? Female playable characters. Rainbow 6? Female playable characters. Medal of Honor? Female protagonist. There were five FPS games in 2000 with female leads. Something changed in the mid 2000s. A demographic and ideological shift. DICE could have put female fighters in Battlefield 1942 and there would have been very little outrage. Of course some would have raised objections and questioned the game's balance of fun and historical accuracy. But those discussions are inevitable. Nothing like the current internet fury.

I think there's this very misleading idea that we started out dudebro and we're slowly getting "better". But it's really not that simple. Doom was originally supposed to have male and female protagonists. Tom Hall got kicked out, and we ended up with Doom Guy instead. But those protagonists ended up in Rise of the Triad, which was a reasonably popular game.

You know what? If Doom had featured a female protagonist, the public would not have cared in the 90s. They would have assumed Doom Girl was some Ellen Ripley figure. (Remember that Doom was originally based on Alien.) Fast forward to 2018, and something that would have been wholly uncontroversial in the 90s is suddenly a big deal. (Female protagonist in the low budget Doom movie attracts a lot of hate, for instance.) If the next Doom game had a female protagonist there would be so much petty internet outrage. Boycotts. Petitions. Hate mail. Something changed 10-15 years ago. Around the time the "teenage boy-slash-screaming-10-year-old" demographic became the primary focus for publishers. In particular, the FPS genre began to attract (and target through marketing and design changes such as removing female characters) a sort of hard to pin down "jock" demographic. Very competitive, very male, very American. That ended up shaping the FPS genre in a pretty extreme way. edit: Remember when Call of Duty games weren't all about America? I can. After Modern Warfare, the international aspect of Call of Duty was rapidly eroded. You might have non-American team-mates, but you were almost always a red blooded American man.
This is a fantastic post btw.

I was thinking the same thing a couple of days ago. 20 years ago nobody gave a flying f**k when games had women as main characters. Be it first or third person. It's hard to pin down at what time in the last decade the "hate" for women started to rise. I still don't get why people get so angry at women. I mean.. Like seriously wtf. I can't even try to understand it.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
When did this happen?

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news..._on_backlash_against_women_in_Battlefield.php

Soderlund is clearly calling out one viewpoint here.

Yep. The headline is being twisted as a victory for shitheads.

"Game not as popular as year's two most popular games" probably doesn't make as many waves or get as many clicks. Who knew.
It happened on reddit a lot when DICE were commenting on things. There were people who didnt like the fact that the uniforms werent something standard in WW2 and this was british uniforms so things like soldiers not wearing helments and prothestics being used. And one of the devs blew up on them about not wanting women in video games, but the post never mentioned women at all. This happened multiple times with multiple people. Then it got all nuked in the end because it turned into an even more toxic shit hole and became ammunition for the people that were against women in the game.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
If Joe or Jim Sterling are against a game it makes me think it might just be for me.
Really can't stand what those 2 have become.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thing that pisses me off about these idiots is the excuses they make to try and absolve their sexism. That shit annoys the fuck outta me. Just be real. "Man" up and admit that you hate women as a concept in your video game of choice.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
It happened on reddit a lot when DICE were commenting on things. There were people who didnt like the fact that the uniforms werent something standard in WW2 and this was british uniforms so things like soldiers not wearing helments and prothestics being used. And one of the devs blew up on them about not wanting women in video games, but the post never mentioned women at all. This happened multiple times with multiple people. Then it got all nuked in the end because it turned into an even more toxic shit hole and became ammunition for the people that were against women in the game.
I'll have to take your word for it. It makes sense though, doesn't it? If 'historical accuracy' is supposedly the thing these people hold most dear then they shouldn't buy the game. Instead of just moving on from a game whose vision the 'historical accuracy' crowd is at odds with, they'll shit on it, commiserate with those using 'historical accuracy' as a more PC stance than their dislike of women and minorities and make everyone who is actually interested in the game have a shittier time keeping up with it.

I can't think of a better response than 'don't like it, don't buy it' if you aren't down with what they are selling. I guess I shouldn't have underestimated a gamer's penchant for throwing a tantrum when a dev actually stood up to the mob for once and called them on their bullshit.
If Joe or Jim Sterling are against a game it makes me think it might just be for me.
Really can't stand what those 2 have become.
You should watch the video.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Eh, I'll support them when they support the Nintendo Switch properly Until then they can fuck off.

hassler

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Gonna paste and edit a post from another recent thread since I think it's quite (and probably more) apt here:

Battlefield V's marketing is most definitely a mess. In the first few months of its marketing cycle all we've seen are:

- A reveal trailer that felt entirely tonally dissonant to what people expected. Also failed to actually explain anything about what the game was up to the point where some people (me including) were confused about what game mode we were actually seeing.
- Dice's response to the backlash passive aggressively lumping in everyone who had issues with the tone in the sexist asshole crowd. Of course a large percentage of the backlash came from idiotic "the SJWs!" folk but I personally found that the response to it unfairly squashed complaints about tone and that kind of thing does cause some resentment, especially among the more impressionable-but-not-actively-sexist crowds. I also don't like arguments that entirely rely on downplaying video-games as an artistic medium, but that's more a personal gripe than anything important.
- EA inviting a bunch of influencers to play the game and not allowing them to show anything from it, all whilst giving them literally no imagery to base their discussion around.
- E3 reveal that amounted to a short singleplayer cinematic (not even a trailer...), a short multiplayer trailer showing one map and then alpha footage from that same map
- Tons of closed alpha betas when your closest rival is having two very open betas. An open beta in September is way too late, especially since the Blackout beta will be out by then.

Then on top of that you've got:

- Tonal issues. From what little we've seen before I honestly could not tell you what the 'tone' of BFV is. The reveal trailer is a quip-filled Bad Company-like adventure. The E3 trailer is a serious character-driven wartime drama. The most recent trailer is a characterless action fiesta. Compare it to BF1 which, at least in its most public trailers, consistently presented itself as a serious war-time game with a focus on the individual soldier. You knew what game you were buying into whereas with BFV I don't know what exactly I'm buying (if I buy it). Now, of course, BF1 isn't like that at all (the War Stories tried and failed to have that tone) but we're not talking about the final product here, we're talking about the marketing (i.e. what gets people to buy the game).
- Gameplay fatigue. Since Battlefield 1 was pretty much just a WW2 game with a WW1 skin there's little to differentiate BFV in terms of gameplay 'feel', and that's what matters to the average consumer.
- The Release Date. Having the game sandwiched between Black Ops 4 and Red Dead 2 was not a good idea. Battlefield as a franchise simply doesn't have the power behind it to survive against those two juggernauts coming out right before and right after it. Personally I don't know what EA should have chosen but I do know that it should have chosen some time different.

As someone with at least some marketing knowledge I've got to say that Battlefield V is a very good case study in how not to market your game. I don't know whether it's hilarious or frustrating to see so many idiots pointing to "the women!" as the main excuse for why the game's supposed poor performance so far, but I guess it's more sad than anything.

THANK YOU FOR THIS
I'm tired when I see people explaining what's wrong with Battlefield V and then another person comes in saying "OH YOU DON'T LIKE IT BECAUSE OF WOMEN".
There were people who actually raged because Battlefield V has female characters, but now I don't really see that rage. I see other, really good points, like stupid cosmetics, etc. I wish the other side would analyze other points drom BV haters too, not only "it has women in it".

Nitori

Oct 29, 2017
It's too bad EA couldn't get this out in September. I think it would have done okay releasing a few weeks after Spider-Man.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's not the first time battlefield released in a busy month...so i don't think the problem it's the release date

an ill will towards EA though? definitely...EA's stock in terms of reputation among gamers are at the lowest they have ever been

can't really say about the marketing since i don't follow the franchise.

the part about women is and has always been a noisy minority

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
it's not the first time battlefield released in a busy month...so i don't think the problem it's the release date

an ill will towards EA though? definitely...EA's stock in terms of reputation among gamers are at the lowest they have ever been

can't really say about the marketing since i don't follow the franchise.

the part about women is and has always been a noisy minority
Is it really the noisy minority or are these the numbnuts who tend to buy these games on day 1?

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to take your word for it. It makes sense though, doesn't it? If 'historical accuracy' is supposedly the thing these people hold most dear then they shouldn't buy the game. Instead of just moving on from a game whose vision the 'historical accuracy' crowd is at odds with, they'll shit on it, commiserate with those using 'historical accuracy' as a more PC stance than their dislike of women and minorities and make everyone who is actually interested in the game have a shittier time keeping up with it.

I can't think of a better response than 'don't like it, don't buy it' if you aren't down with what they are selling. I guess I shouldn't have underestimated a gamer's penchant for throwing a tantrum when a dev actually stood up to the mob for once and called them on their bullshit.

You should watch the video.
It was literally a post complaining about the uniforms though. And it wasnt even about them not being Nazi uniforms he was complaining about the british ones and helmets etc. The main issue was he targeted someone and threw them in with the dickheads because he critised the uniform and lack of helmets. That isn't remotely close to complaining about women being in it. I'm trying to find the link because it ended up being screenshotted and posted again but when I do I'll post it.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Whatever the reasons for the low preorders are, EA gets hurt and that fact alone pleases me greatly.

Nov 8, 2017
So I haven't payed attention, was it just the (I believe) multiplayer trailer that featured the woman, or was there something else?

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it really the noisy minority or are these the numbnuts who tend to buy these games on day 1?
considering how many copies this franchise sells, i doubt you can identifiy the entire userbase in an entire category, let alone one as extremist as whatever people concerned about women in battlefield call themselves

Pabz

Oct 25, 2017
Selling shooters is gonna be so hard after Fortnite. Fortnite being free to play has really changed the marketplace

Ozgiliath

Alt-Account
Aug 13, 2018
I'm not buying just the sake of being it from EA, after battlefront 2 as joe stated the damage has been done.

And overall it hangs to much on team play, let me be the lone wolf and yet they eliminated that also.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Man those comments.

Back when the whole "Them SJWs in muh games" thing started I would honestly expect Joe to fall for this shit, and I'm so happy that I was completely wrong.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anytime I read someone crying "b-b-b-but historical accuracy!!!" I just automatically assume they are:

1) Dumb piece of shit
or
2) Sexist piece of shit

There were many women who gave their lives in WW2. Yes, they were massively out numbered compared to the amount of men, but having women in the game is NOT historically inaccurate.

Not that these lonely snowflakes would give a shit about WW2 historical accuracy anyways.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
So everyone who played it thinks it's the best Battlefield game since BC2? That's what I'm questioning.

I've heard that the gameplay has changed but even then I haven't seen it getting near the amount of love of BF2 or BF3 for that matter.

It is closest to BF2 spiritually as any of those games. The alpha was rough. ran really poorly (to be expected), and I'm not super crazy about the map they picked. But the game is already better than BF1.

Once this thing hits open beta I expect the narrative around the game to change completely. It's on EA and DICE at that point to deliver enough launch content and a SP effort that isn't completely throwaway.

Oct 27, 2017
None of these guy's seem to know battlefield was never about historical accuracy. The first battlefield (1942) had a expansion with jet packs . I'd like to see the reaction to that now.

I also believe the marketing has been pretty bad up until now.
The gamescom trailer is amazing and once open beta is here it will definitely turn around for the better.