• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gwynbleidd17

Oct 28, 2017
He wanted campaign to be longer, to see more of the Norse pantheon [it's already long and epic, but he immediately wanted to play more]
He was not connected with the story of Atreous mother, but he very much enjoyed the adventure itself
Very minor main campaign pacing issues
This is his "highest 9 he ever gave".

The biggest one that stood out (that I agree with) is that some sections are dragged out just a liiitle bit too long. Which sometimes hurts the pacing.
Thanks guy! Couldn't watch the video at the time. Sounds fair enough to me.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I already knew Joe would "spoil" exactly what I expected. Haha. Without fail. Pretty funny honestly. It shouldn't even shock anyone. It was inevitable.

Yeah, why are people using reviews for their intended purpose?, that's crazy.

Plenty of reviews have been accessible for quite some time. It's also known that Joe gives zero fucks about spoilers.

Plus, there's a massive thread dedicated to the game, full of impressions, that's virtually spoiler free.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
To be fair, Joe has never played the previous games. So he doesn't have a frame of reference to understand what could be a huge spoiler in this case. Cut him slack. Simply don't watch ANYTHING on YouTube. That's what I did. Wasn't hard.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I've been avoiding all trailers, clips, previews and reviews on God of War but I may have to break the blackout because Angry Joe is the best in the business

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
That makes sense. I'd like to see a general 'late breaking review' thread, for all the in-depth YouTube reviews and written content that comes out after the game's release. That way one creator isn't being elevated above everyone else *and* we can have a generally less toxic discussion, now that the consensus opinion is known and the game is actually available for posters to play.

What is stopping you from posting about some other YouTuber you'd like to comment on?

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I've been avoiding all trailers, clips, previews and reviews on God of War but I may have to break the blackout because Angry Joe is the best in the business

Don't. There is a HUGE Spoiler in there that could ruin your experience with the Game. I did and i regret it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It internally bothered me when he was fighting the traveller and dark elf and basically didn't use/command Atreus to shoot arrows at all lol. He made things much harder for himself unnecessarily lol.

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
Couldn't even bother to wear a bald wig?! SMH ;p

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
The skit was good. I'm actually amused that he is uber-impressed with the first boss battle comparing it to final boss battles in other games . . . . w/c for me reinforces the fact that this does seem to be his first rodeo with the God of War series.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
What? He never played a single GOW game before this!? He is such a big YouTube reviewer and yet he didn't bother to play GOW3 first (at least it's on PS4)? I expected a little bit more effort than just casually playthrough a new GOW and straight up review it tbh.

It's a shame now the story won't going to be nearly as interesting for him, especially during some of the moments that remind you of what Kratos did in the old games.

Well, I guess people watch AJ for the casual fun-ness and light impressions, not some in depth hardcore reviews.

For a guy that never played a single metroidvania game, a Souls game, or any God Of War game in his entire life it's hard to ask for anything truly insightful anyway.

Well, I guess his ''reviews'' are meant to be fun, I shouldn't take it too seriously.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
What? He never played a single GOW game before this!? He is such a big YouTube reviewer and yet he didn't bother to play GOW3 first? I expected a little bit more effort tbh.

It's a shame now the story won't going to be nearly as interesting for him, especially during some of the moments that remind you of what Kratos did in the old games.

Well, I guess people watch AJ for the casual fun-ness and light impressions, not some in depth hardcore reviews.

For a guy that never played a metroidvania game, a Souls game, or any God Of War game in his entire life it's hard to ask for anything truly insightful anyway.

Well, I guess it's gonna be a fun time anyway.

Many people haven't played the old games. It's nice to hear thoughts and reviews from people who have the same experience.

It's also isn't insightful to watch a review of a GoW fan when you aren't for example.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony has essentially "rebooted" the God of War series which will presumably interest many PS4 owners who maybe weren't PS3 owners, or possibly only ever played the PS2 titles.

While I'm only a few hours in it's a masterful reboot in that it's essentially a sequel, so GoW 4, but at the same time also a new start.

So, tldr is people will pick this up not put off by the fact it could have had a 4 in the title.

Also, it's becoming a bit of a meme at this point for "why does person X have their own topic?". Bandwidth on the forum doesn't "run out", and often people in the industry who create longer videos, or do some sort of acting/showmanship, get their own topics. Deal with it.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I used to like AJ a lot back in the Far Cry 3, DmC, Alien:CM days, thought he was a very good reviewer back then.

but now he just seem very casual and his approach to video games feel very shallow as well, he sounded like someone who only started gaming one or two years ago, but he clearly isn't.

I also really hate how he only review some of the games solely because they were hyped, it's the "jumping on the latest big hot game" metality that start making me kind of despite him.

I mean just look at his recent reviews ffs

"My first Metal Gear Solid"

"My first Final Fantasy"

"My first Uncharted"

"My first Yakuza"

"My first Zelda"

"My first God Of War"

Jesus christ it's literally fucking painful to watch at times, like what is this, some fucking 12 years old boy's first ever YouTube gaming channel?

He was so popular among the gaming community and yet he literally doesn't know jack shit about games...I used to like him so much as well...

Last edited:

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I used to always watch AJ, Unsubscribed awhile ago as lost interest in his channel for whatever reason, But i watch his Game reviews and his GOW one was decent, Pretty much agreed, I can do without his screaming now though, You can be angry without the screaming like a kid.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Any score below a 9 for this game is questionable. Some people may not like it (as with all things), but GoW is objectively a great game so i'm glad Joe recognized the quality on display.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I used to like AJ a lot back in the Far Cry 3, DmC, Alien:CM days, thought he was a very good reviewer back then.

but now he just seem very casual and his approach to video games feel very shallow as well, he sounded like someone who only started gaming one or two years ago, but he clearly isn't.

I also really hate how he only review some of the games solely because they were hyped, it's the "jumping on the latest big hot game" metality that start making me kind of despite him.

I mean just look at his recent reviews ffs

"My first Metal Gear Solid"

"My first Final Fantasy"

"My first Uncharted"

"My first Yakuza"

"My first Zelda"

"My first God Of War"

Jesus chirat it's literally fucking painful to watch at times, like what is this, some fucking 12 years old boy's first ever YouTube gaming channel?

He was so popular among the gaming community and yet he literally doesn't know jack shit about games...I used to like him so much as well...
You're surprised that someone who's said multiple times that he was mainly playing on xbox 360 wasn't playing playstation & Nintendo exclusives?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
You're surprised that someone who's said multiple times that he was mainly playing on xbox 360 wasn't playing playstation & Nintendo exclusives?

I knew that years ago, it's just that he never bothered to replay those Uncharted or God of War games that he missed, which are now available on the PS4 btw, not to mention a lot of those are true classics being remastered in 1080p 60fps.

If he actually cared about Uncharted and God of War, even just a little bit, he would have at least played one of two of those games, but no, fucking ZERO.

It's almost like he play games only to review them.

It's almost like he only play games he want to review.

That explains why he only ever play the new ones and barely give a shit about the old ones, cause that's what people want to see.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I knew that years ago, it's just that he never bothered to replay those Uncharted or God of War games that he missed, which are now available on the PS4 btw, not to mention a lot of those are true classics, it's not like those games suck or anything.

If he actually cared about Uncharted and God of War, even just a little bit, he would have at least played one of two of those games, but no, fucking ZERO.

It's almost like he play games only to review them. That explains why he only ever play the new ones and barely give a shit about the old ones, cause that's what people want to see.
Dude.....it's absolutely not that deep. Christ.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew that years ago, it's just that he never bothered to replay those Uncharted or God of War games that he missed, which are now available on the PS4 btw, not to mention a lot of those are true classics being remastered in 1080p 60fps.

That explains why he only ever play the new ones and barely give a shit about the old ones, cause that's what people want to see.

What's wrong with him only playing games he wants to review? He's self employed, he can do what he wants in that respect.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
It would be kind of funny if a 9 (a great score imo) by AJ is what ends up dropping GoW from 95 to 94, as it currently seems to be on the brink after the 8 from Edge (only Portal 2 PS3 is below it in the 95 range).

We would then get Angry Joe vs Angry Fans, as some tend to take their MC a bit too seriously. :)

It was quite a high 95. Even a 1 from Edge wouldn't have changed the metascore.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017

Does Angry Joe receives review copies anymore? I always hear he buys the game he reviews on release the same way we do. Thats why his reviews are always late. So unless you or anyone else wants to pony up the cash for him to play previous God of War and Uncharted games, i dont think catching-up with previous series are going to be a priority for him. Not that he needs to, to make his Angry Reviews.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017

Ughh, why would anyone want to review old games?
He needs to make money too.

The ones that only reviews Uncharted 4 not because he liked or enjoyed the series, but because it was new and had a lot of hype.

He has never experienced any of Sony IP before so of course he wanted in on the hype too and experiencing a new game like any gamer.
What do you want him to do? Play UC1-3 first? Even though non of the games are connected?
The only connection between all the games is the characters relationship which he can just read about it.

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I love his reviews but accusing Sony of locking the other realms behind DLC is nonsense. They need to be saved for the sequel and the game is large enough already.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Agreed with your points but as a fan I can't help feeling disappointed, sometimes I feel like he isn't actually passionate about gaming in general, he's only passionate about reviewing. True or not, the fact that I actually feel that way is already pretty telling and alarming.

There's a reason why he isn't as popular as he was before, he just feel...disconnected and casual nowadays.

He has never experienced any of Sony IP before so of course he wanted in on the hype too and experiencing a new game like any gamer.
What do you want him to do? Play UC1-3 first? Even though non of the games are connected?
The only connection between all the games is the characters relationship which he can just read about it.

I know but it's like...he doesn't even want to play them (not review, just play!) at all, isn't that kind of weird?

If he really enjoyed Uncharted 4 as much as he makes it out to be in his review, wouldn't he want to play UC2 or UC3 since those are about just as good and enjoyable according to....everyone?

Like he pretty much just reviewed UC4 and fucking moved on from the series, I checked all his tweets and livestreams and updates, not once did he mentioned the Uncharted collection at all, it's almost like he's NOT interested in the series at all, he's only interested in reviewing UC4.

You see what I am talking about now?

It's almost like he's reviewing these games for the sake of it.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, his reviews are 30 minute long, so I think they should get their own thread. Probably the most in depth reviews out there.

Oh, no no no...
Much of his 30 minutes video reviews is filled with either raging or gushing about a game and of course comedic relief. His reviews are mostly entertainment and that's perfectly fine. I like to watch them for exactly that reason, and it is clear he is putting a lot of effort in them in that regard.
There are however so many more reviewers out there who, without much fluff, actually go really in-depth in their reviews, with great investment in or knowledge of a game/game series, and that in a smaller time frame.

Last edited:

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Agreed with your points but as a fan I can't help feeling disappointed, sometimes I feel like he isn't actually passionate about gaming in general, he's only passionate about reviewing. True or not, the fact that I actually feel that way is already pretty telling and alarming.

There's a reason why he isn't as popular as he was before, he just feel...disconnected and casual nowadays.

I know but it's like...he doesn't even want to play them (not review, just play!) at all, isn't that kind of weird?

If he really enjoyed Uncharted 4 as much as he makes it out to be in his review, wouldn't he want to play UC2 or UC3 since those are about just as good and enjoyable according to the community. He pretty much just reviewed UC4 and fucking moved on from the series, I checked all his tweets and livestreams not once did he mentioned the Uncharted collection, like he's just NOT interested in the series at all, he's only interested in reviewing UC4.

You see what I am talking about now?

Seriously, what's wrong with AJ ONLY reviewing Uncharted 4 in this day and age. He isnt some retro game reviewer. Why would he need to dedicate time and space for old Uncharted games in 2018?

Also, AJ's Movie reviews is a necessary evil, iirc, because Youtube algorithms prioritize content creators who have a weekly steady stream of content. Angry Game reviews requires at least 3 weeks setup from what i heard.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Seriously, what's wrong with AJ ONLY reviewing Uncharted 4 in this day and age. He isnt some retro game reviewer. Why would he need to dedicate time and space on old Uncharted games in 2018?

Also, AJ's Movie reviews is a necessary evil, iirc, because Youtube algorithms prioritize content creators who have a weekly steady stream of content. Angry Game reviews requires at least 3 weeks setup from what i heard.

It's not about his reviews, he can review whatever he like, it's the fact that he doesn't seem passionate about any of this.

My first Uncharted game was UC3, I jumped on the hype train during its release and yet I still go back to play UC2 after that, because I actually enjoyed what I played and want more, even If I am a reviewer I would still do the same because I PERSONALLY ENJOYED IT, maybe reviewing UC3 was part of my job but since I really loved it I can use my own time to play and enjoy UC2, because I sincerely enjoyed it.

I just don't see this love or passion at all in AngryJoe anymore, he couldn't give less shit about playing really good ''old'' games that's extremely similar to what he claimed he liked now in pretty much everyway.

I bet if people stopped watching his reviews he probably wouldn't even bother playing through those games.

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
Been following him for years, that's the pattern I see, sorry.

Like it or not he's very much a "jumping on trains" kind of reviewer.

The ones that only reviews Uncharted 4 not because he know about, liked or enjoyed the series, but because it was new and had a lot of hype.
So because of hype, his attention turns to a game he has never played before. What is wrong with that? Especially if he ends up enjoying it?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Been following him for years, that's the pattern I see, sorry.

Like it or not he's very much a "jumping on trains" kind of reviewer.

The ones that only reviews Uncharted 4 not because he know about, liked or enjoyed the series, but because it was new and had a lot of hype.
He's not a retro game reviewer nor does he have any obligation to make sure he's played every past game in a series before he tries a new game.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
So because of hype, his attention turns to a game he has never played before. What is wrong with that? Especially if he ends up enjoying it?

Nothing ''wrong'', but he used to be so much more sincere and passionate about it, nowadays he is just like ''Guys I never played Uncharted before but man UC4 is really a lot of fun, so that's cool I guess, ok, what's next?''

He's literally turning into this ''This is my first Star Wars movie and it's totally awesoooome! 9 outta 10! Don't forget to Like, Subscribe and hit that Notification!'' type of casual half-ass reviewer.

It's not wrong but it's fucking soul-less. He used to be so much more than this.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing ''wrong'', but he used to be so much more sincere and passionate, nowadays he is just like ''Guys I never played Uncharted before but man UC4 is really a lot of fun, so that's cool I guess, ok, what's next? What you people want to see next? I don't have much time you know.''

He's literally turning into this ''This is my first Star Wars movie and it's totally awesoooome! 9 outta 10! Don't forget to Like, Subscribe and hit that Notification!'' type of casual half-ass ''reviewer''.

He used to be so much more than this.

Did he? As far as I can remember, the only reviews he's really done are the major AAA releases, aside from a small handful of other games.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing ''wrong'', but he used to be so much more sincere and passionate, nowadays he is just like ''Guys I never played Uncharted before but man UC4 is really a lot of fun, so that's cool I guess, ok, what's next? What you people want to see next? I don't have much time you know.''

He's literally turning into this ''This is my first Star Wars movie and it's totally awesoooome! 9 outta 10! Don't forget to Like, Subscribe and hit that Notification!'' type of casual half-ass ''reviewer''.

He used to be so much more than this.
You realize that the devs of nearly every example you named also went on record saying "Yea you don't need to play the older games to get this one."

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
TIL reviewers need to be intricately experienced with an entire franchise in order to review the latest entry or their GAMER FEEL might be suspect.

Cmon dude that's insane. I never played the previous God of War games either and I just got my Platinum for this one and consider it perhaps my favorite game ever.

If your game can't be enjoyed as a stand-alone product, and its proper enjoyment REQUIRES you to know about previous entries (rather than it just being a bonus), you've done something wrong.

If anything, a review from somebody who is fresh to a given IP seems ideal to me. It prevents them from being overly positive (or negative) because of stuff previous games achieved. So for instance my stance (GoW might be my favorite game ever) can't be pinned down to "oh he's just a GoW fanboy".

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
You realize that the devs of nearly every example you named also went on record saying "Yea you don't need to play the older games to get this one."

''You don't have to if you don't want to bother with the series''

Which he clearly do not, he is only jumping on the hype train with his reviews, nothing wrong with that, but it's obvious that he doesn't care much about these games.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, sweet child. Let met tell you about a man called Joseph Anderson...

Oh, no no no...
Much of his 30 minutes video reviews is filled with either raging or gushing about a game and of course comedic relief. His reviews are mostly entertainment and that's perfectly fine. I like to watch them for exactly that reason, and it is clear he is putting a lot of effort in them in that regard.
There are however so many more reviewers out there who, without much fluff, actually go really in-depth in their reviews, with great investment in or knowledge of a game/game series, and that in a smaller time frame.

I guess I should have said one of the most in depth reviewers, which is what I meant.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
It's not about his reviews, he can review whatever he like, it's the fact that he doesn't seem passionate about any of this.

My first Uncharted game was UC3, I jumped on the hype train during its release and yet I still go back to play UC2 after that, because I actually enjoyed what I played and want more, even If I am a reviewer I would still do the same because I PERSONALLY ENJOYED IT, maybe reviewing UC3 was part of my job but since I really loved it I can use my own time to play and enjoy UC2, because I sincerely enjoyed it.

I just don't see this love or passion at all in AngryJoe anymore, he couldn't give less shit about playing really good ''old'' games that's extremely similar to what he claimed he liked now in pretty much everyway.

I bet if people stopped watching his reviews he probably wouldn't even bother playing through those games.

That still doesnt make sense. Regardless whether he liked it or not, why would he need to dedicate time and space in his Youtube channel on old Uncharted games in 2018? Whose to say he is not playing old Uncharted games or Brute Force or Pong, off-camera.

Also, I dont know exactly how you detect AJ's 'passion' for a game because that's very subjective from the outside looking in but judging from the anguish and disappointment that he displayed in his Sea of Thieves and Halo 5 (or say his elation when reviewing the latest Dragon ball game), i'd still say he has passion for gaming in general.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Maybe I expected too much from AngryJoe, it was a mistake that I respected him as much as I did.

I think I will stop it here, my point was clear and those who understand what I meant will eventually get it. Enjoy the fun video guys.