• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
My corgi adores belly rubs more than any other dog I've owned. She goes nuts for them.

I've had a couple dogs that don't like them, though. And one that likes them, but doesn't like to be on his back so he sits up in a chipmunk position and demands you rub it.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
N2saz.gif
omg that is so adorable.
c732z.gif

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
One of my cats likes to lie in my arms like a baby and have his belly rubbed. The other one rarely wants belly rubs but she's more indifferent to them rather than hostile.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
My cat is an asshole. She actively begs for belly rubs but after maybe 20 seconds she turns on you and goes in full on attack mode.

People always fall for it.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
My cat will roll on her back if she wants one while petting her. If you do it when she doesn't want one, then it's claws.

Oct 30, 2017
I can belly rub my cat exactly three times, then he has enough and the claws emerge. But if I stop after one rubs or two, he looks at me like "you're done? Get back here."

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
My cat is very fluffy and fat and her belly is super fluffy to pet, she does look offended half the time when I pet her belly though even if she likes it :3

4Xfij9v.jpg

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
My fur niece loves them. When I was visiting my sis over Thanksgiving she crawled next to me, rolled onto her back, and started tapping my leg like "Okay, I'm ready."

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Animals actually don't like this. They freeze up and/or struggle because their stomachs are a vulnerable point.

This is humans trying to anthropomorphize animal reactions with human emotions.
My dog is glad you're not in charge of belly rubs.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My dogs love em sometimes the even try to force me to do it with puppy eyes or giving paws and then lay down ready for the rub.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
My cat lets me rub her belly and chest for a few seconds and then starts biting me hand and scratching with her hind legs. I think it bothers her most of the time. I don't let it stop me though. My hand it usually covered in red marks from her.

She's a calico and pretty aggressive but she will still lick my hand when I pet her head.
some cats are pretty traumatized by belly rubs, apparently. they can't believe you had the audacity to touch them in their most vulnerable spot without even asking.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Both my cats really like belly rubs. One in particular asks for them pretty often. He likes to be held and carried around too (but for maybe 5 minutes max).

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
You're taking it too literal lol, it's just scratching their lower back. Both my dogs love it.
Mine, too. My dog always comes stand beside my chair and just when I start petting her back, she takes a few steps forward so I can rub her butt/lower back instead.

But she loves belly rubs as well. She actually makes sounds when you do it, somewhere between a purr and a satisfied growl.

Last edited:

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Yea this doesn't work on cats or at least my cat.

My cat is extremely anti-belly rub. He doesn't bite me but he makes it known he ain't down for a belly rub. But if you insist he won't hesitate to teach you a lesson.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
My two pups will climb on me and start licking me until I finally say ok, then they just roll over awaiting their belly rub.

Nov 30, 2017
Mine, too. My dog always comes stand beside my chair and just when I start petting her back, she takes a few steps forward so I can rub her butt/lower back instead.

But she loves belly rubs as well. She actually makes sounds when you do it, somewhere between a purr and a satisfied growl.

Haha, dogs are such awesome animals. My dog does exactly the same thing. What kind of a dog is she?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Belly rubs are not something that happens in the wild. Exposing your belly is dangerous. I guess thats why animals seem to love it, its a deep trust exercise at heart.

My dog actually doesnt like belly rubs that much, but he loves ear rubs. There is a spot behind his ear that i can rub and make him fall asleep in my hand by doing so.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
My old cat didn't let me to rub his belly when he was young. During his older years he didn't mind it anymore. Maybe he became too lazy to resist lol.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of animals like head scratches too. I guess it's because they can't do it themselves?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Haha, dogs are such awesome animals. My dog does exactly the same thing. What kind of a dog is she?
A Schapendoes, a Dutch sheepdog. A big ball of hair with a very independant personality. You don't even have to try to discipline her as she doesn't care at all. She's not mean or vicious, though. On the contrary. She just thinks she knows what's best for her better than we do, haha. (And hey, maybe she does.)

This is what she looked like when she was younger:

380650818_5_3ws1pfjod.jpg

Her hair is a bit shorter now, though, since she can't really be brushed thoroughly anymore due to a bad back (ironically).