• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Just got a Switch this week and have been hooked catching up on Mario Odyssey and BotW. This is my first Nintendo console since the Wii and boy am I glad to be back.

That said, Animal Crossing has been really calling me with all the upcoming holidays! Should I just wait for these final updates to drop before jumping in fresh or is the current game solid enough to jump into now?
Odds are some of these new features won't be available until you progress to a certain point in your island development, so starting before it releases might be better. Unless you manipulate the Switch's calendar, a lot of development takes real life days to progress.

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
Anyone else planning on sprucing up their island before November 5th? I have tons of weeds to clear out!

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Anyone else planning on sprucing up their island before November 5th? I have tons of weeds to clear out!
I still need to get around to getting the new Halloween DIYs. I haven't booted up in a couple months, so I also wanna time travel back to get the cucumber/eggplant figurines I missed.

But then I'll get down to figuring out where all those crops are gonna go. I've got three 2x3 pumpkin patches, and can easily replace two of them with new crops, but that still leaves at least three more things to plant somewhere else.

Truezeldafan

Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
So for the happy home dlc, will it have actual "progression?" Or is it more of a sandbox?... For example, is it a challenge at all to make the guests you're designing for happy? Or is it more...here's everything you need out the box to decorate, just have fun with it...? I guess I'm trying to figure out how it'll play out.

sosainas

Sep 13, 2018
After this update, is there any content present on New Leaf that New Horizons is still missing?

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
So for the happy home dlc, will it have actual "progression?" Or is it more of a sandbox?... For example, is it a challenge at all to make the guests you're designing for happy? Or is it more...here's everything you need out the box to decorate, just have fun with it...? I guess I'm trying to figure out how it'll play out.
They mentioned unlocking new mechanics like partitions and various room shapes and being able to take those unlocked mechanics back to your main game, and I got the impression you are unlocking elements of the main area (school, hospital, restaurant etc) as you progress

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I've replayed the game a lot this year, I got 100% Museum of everything except arts because Redd hates me lol
And now I'm replaying daily since early September just to get ready for the eventual big update I didn't know about back then.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
After this update, is there any content present on New Leaf that New Horizons is still missing?
We won't truly know until this releases, as there are bound to be little things they haven't mentioned in the Direct.

In New Leaf you could create models of fossils though, to add extra incentive to digging those things up after completing the museum. It would be nice if they added that back in.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017

Based on the 3DS title, 100% not a challenge and just have fun with it. Pretty much like the wedding photography event. There is progression in the sense that you unlock more furniture, buildings and those kind of things the more you decorate. You will have fewer decorating options when you first start versus "endgame" where you have everything unlocked.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
The return of Gyroids is such a monkey's paw situation. All the big and tall and weird Gyroids are dead, replaced by smaller, twee ones. I get it; they're easier to fit into a room now and better suit the general handmade aesthetic in NH. But... it's sad.
Weird ones are gone? So we may lose the sci-fi ones? My favorite was the Quazoids.

Tailesque

Sep 28, 2021
Chicago
Weird ones are gone? So we may lose the sci-fi ones? My favorite was the Quazoids.

Oh I just meant in terms of the older designs that aren't quite as cutesy as what seems to be the new direction for them. I don't definitively know if the more tech/space-oriented Gyroids will manifest or not, in some way.

Also good taste, Quazoids are my favorites too.

Sep 15, 2021
Yep I can see myself putting in a few hours every week with this update after not picking up AC since February. Nice work Nintendo!

Love the idea of basically an island farmers market that will house all of the smaller stores. One of my favorite animal crossings was city folk and this sort of meets that halfway.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
So rewatching the DLC part, something I noticed is it seems like vacation homes can have multiple floors/rooms. When showing the part where you can upload your creations and look at other people's, there was a specification that Hopkins' home had one floor. I don't see why that would need to be pointed out unless it's possible to have multiple floors.

To go along with that, when they showed the roommates system, you can see that the room decorated for Static and Spike appears to be a basement with stairs at the bottom of the screen going up.

With 49 map quadrants to choose from and potentially multiple rooms/floors per house (plus yards), that's a ton of decorating to do! Nevermind however many total facilities there are on top of that, lol.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
A lot of the new additions seem exciting but I wonder how much they will break the game design. Like what's the point of the rotating shops on the island now if you can just build permanent locations for all the vendors? Also, having to go through multiple loading screens and text to get to the shops sounds like a pain. The perfect solution would have been getting a request to create a shop on your island after a certain character has visited X amount of times. I guess now though the best way of going about things now though is to just keep the second part but make the shop be on another island. Either way if all this stuff just requires bells than I think the real time appeal of AC and the excitement of waiting for certain things to happen will be lost a bit.

gyroids are so cute tho <3

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
How is the first time I've ever heard of BUD

latest

this is what might finally get me to come back to my island
I dunno. He was on my island for a while a year ago. Or maybe it was like 6 months ago. I don't remember. Time is a blur these days. He was cool for the relatively short period of time I had him.

animalcrossing.fandom.com

Bud

“No one can compete with my crazy stay-awakeness skills, maaan!” ― Bud, City Folk Bud (グラさん, Gura-san?) is a jock lion villager in the Animal Crossing series. In Animal Forest+, Animal Crossing and Animal Forest e+, he is an islander. His New Leaf picture quote is a reference to how jock...

Last edited:

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wish it would've dropped this month but hey this will definitely get back into the game. I hope I haven't lost any villagers since I haven't touched it in so long.

SupremeBum01

Apr 5, 2021
Can any animal crossing super fans clarify if there are still any outstanding characters, features, or locations that wont be in the game after this update?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Can you put the themed buildings (school) etc on the main island? Buildings like these have been in my top features requests forever, but who cares if they're Happy Home Island exclusive.

Tomita

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the game since February so now I don't know if I should torture myself with time travel trying to get all the items I missed or just play in the present day and hope all the items from 2021 repeat into 2022... They haven't had any items get locked forever with a new update in this game, right?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the game since February so now I don't know if I should torture myself with time travel trying to get all the items I missed or just play in the present day and hope all the items from 2021 repeat into 2022... They haven't had any items get locked forever with a new update in this game, right?
No, and the new seasonal islands should make catch up a lot easier.

I think it's clear they want people to have short cuts to a lot of this stuff. Probably to ease people off of all the time traveling. Or they just know since this is the last major update that they are just trying to give completionists a break from either time traveling or waiting real life months to get the last little things they are missing.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Can any animal crossing super fans clarify if there are still any outstanding characters, features, or locations that wont be in the game after this update?
Gracie still MIA, no mini games to play with friends online (or animals for that matter), no perfect fruit or tropical fruit shown, no gemstones like ruby/sapphire etc, some sets of furniture still MIA, Resetti still shafted, the amiibo RV were great in NL welcome Amiibo to get tons of food and other unique items, Cop dogs and monkey train dude missing but not integral. Tools still break without a permanent solution. Ordinances are too little too late imo especially since there's no new ones from NL. The playable games (NES, panel de pon, island survivor) absent. Cafe barista job MIA. Sports week and other unique and fun holiday events MIA

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
Amazing direct. Half way through and I couldn't believe they kept adding more stuff to the game. I felt overwhelmed in a great way.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I wonder if it will be easier to make money without the turnips. I don't enjoy the turnips, having to go online to find people with higher sell prices etc. I was always short of bells, and I kind of stopped playing because of that.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I played the game a ton at launch but haven't touched it in at least a year. I've never seen winter in ACNH.

Booted it back up tonight to get re-acquainted and just generally get back into it and man... it felt good.

I've bee away long enough that the grind and the checklist "urgency" all just melted away. Pulled some weeds. Caught some fish. Planeted some pumpkins. THIS is how AC is supposed to be played. But my Gamer Brain wouldn't let me, the first time around.

Tomita

Oct 25, 2017
No, and the new seasonal islands should make catch up a lot easier.

I think it's clear they want people to have short cuts to a lot of this stuff. Probably to ease people off of all the time traveling. Or they just know since this is the last major update that they are just trying to give completionists a break from either time traveling or waiting real life months to get the last little things they are missing.

Okay, the direct gave me a lot of gaming anxiety but I think you're right. Even though I'm paranoid about locked content, everything about modern Animal Crossing screams "shortcuts for new players", so I think locking content is against the spirit of New Horizons. I think I will fight my FOMO anxiety/whatever and just start playing tomorrow in the morning like I haven't missed anything, haha. (Seriously, I get random hardcore anxiety about games sometimes and your comment helps give me some persepctive, thanks!)

So if I'm going to start a new town should I just wait for Nov 5 or start now to get the early stuff going??

You will definitely want to start well before the update. It takes at least a week to unlock the Nook shop beyond the bare basics and the musuem, and you'll want the museum ASAP so you can start collecting all the things for it. Don't feel like you have to start RIGHT NOW!! but I would plan to do it at least 2 weeks before the update so you can reaquaint yourself with the game and get all the main unlocks done. At least, if I was planning to restart my island, that is how I would approach it. :P If it wasn't for all the BS grinding I had to do to unlock DIY recipes I would restart my island honestly, haha. Those god damn balloons... And so many zodiac things I missed out on cause my island hates shooting stars, lol.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Okay, the direct gave me a lot of gaming anxiety but I think you're right. Even though I'm paranoid about locked content, everything about modern Animal Crossing screams "shortcuts for new players", so I think locking content is against the spirit of New Horizons. I think I will fight my FOMO anxiety/whatever and just start playing tomorrow in the morning like I haven't missed anything, haha. (Seriously, I get random hardcore anxiety about games sometimes and your comment helps give me some persepctive, thanks!)

You will definitely want to start well before the update. It takes at least a week to unlock the Nook shop beyond the bare basics and the musuem, and you'll want the museum ASAP so you can start collecting all the things for it. Don't feel like you have to start RIGHT NOW!! but I would plan to do it at least 2 weeks before the update so you can reaquaint yourself with the game and get all the main unlocks done. At least, if I was planning to restart my island, that is how I would approach it. :P If it wasn't for all the BS grinding I had to do to unlock DIY recipes I would restart my island honestly, haha. Those god damn balloons... And so many zodiac things I missed out on cause my island hates shooting stars, lol.

Thank you :) I'm going to start soon then - I forgot the store took a week lol! The new stuff looks really good so I'm excited to play again.

I'll be interested to know what the favorite villagers are nowadays. When I played I managed to finally find Raymond and remember thinking he was pretty cool.

Tomita

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you :) I'm going to start soon then - I forgot the store took a week lol! The new stuff looks really good so I'm excited to play again.

I'll be interested to know what the favorite villagers are nowadays. When I played I managed to finally find Raymond and remember thinking he was pretty cool.

I only ever played with the one save file but I always wished you spent more time with the tent before upgrading to the house. There's so many decorating ideas I had where I felt like having the tent would benefit it...but it would drive me insane restarting my save file now, haha. If only. I say if you're making a new save file, savor those early days before you've fully unlocked everything!

Glancing at Reddit post-Direct, Shino the deer is the new fan favorite as well as Sasha the squirrel. Then there's Marlo the hamster that looks like Marlon Brando... Glad we're getting new villagers (including ones we haven't seen since the Game Cube) with this update!

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
I played every single day from release to it's one year anniversary and it felt like a weight lifted off my shoulders.

But I think this may just bring me back in.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very good direct. Can't wait for the content. Still undecided on the paid DLC

Hoping at the very least they do something about doing multiple crafting of the same item at once.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I can't get over how massive this update is, and I am not even thinking about the paid expansion. It's going to be such a fun holiday!