• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 13, 2017
Look, if people want to believe the animals are gay, that's their right. However, directing unveiled ad hominem towards me doesn't seem to jive with the "spirit of posting" on this forum. I tried to add more context is all. And for the record I am a queer person and advocate; I just didn't see the point on praising hollow marketing on queer inclusion.

And to the complex and ever misinterpretable nature of language, I said "step down off my soap box" with the intent of reducing subsequent attention drawn to myself; it was not to denigrate anyone. Not worthy of attacking me over it.
Is this hollow marketing though? This wasn't revealed anywhere as a selling point. People discovered it through the game play. The complete opposite of the bullshit Disney does.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I read that like three times through, but I still dont see it. Seems like a business partner to me 🤷‍♂️

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Look, if people want to believe the animals are gay, that's their right. However, directing unveiled ad hominem towards me doesn't seem to jive with the "spirit of posting" on this forum. I tried to add more context is all. And for the record I am a queer person and advocate; I just didn't see the point on praising hollow marketing on queer inclusion.

And to the complex and ever misinterpretable nature of language, I said "step down off my soap box" with the intent of reducing subsequent attention drawn to myself; it was not to denigrate anyone. Not worthy of attacking me over it.

I think on its own, if it were something Nintendo promoted the game with and was seeking praise for, it would be fine to criticize it as hollow. They didn't, though.

The fact that we have seen these changes by Treehouse tells me that there was a lot of consideration and thought put into this. Direct your scorn and anger at Nintendo Japan, not NoA.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
Never seen argue against fictional gay animals so hard before.
FYI, CJ is a beaver.

Thank you for clarifying. I was wrong.

I think it's rather distasteful to call this hallow marketing towards queers. I know Nintendo/Treehouse in Seattle has quite a few queer people working there.

Is this hollow marketing though? This wasn't revealed anywhere as a selling point. People discovered it through the game play. The complete opposite of the bullshit Disney does.

You both are right. People figured it, out and I am approaching it too seriously. I think it is awesome that people figured this out, and I hope we can find more queerness in this game we all love so much.

Oct 27, 2017
You both are right. People figured it, out and I am approaching it too seriously. I think it is awesome that people figured this out, and I hope we can find more queerness in this game we all love so much.
The fact clothing isn't "gender" specific says a lot
Plus the way the character poses when you change outfits in your wardrobe 😂

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, whenever I talk about my business partner, I also go "Gosh, he's soooooooo talented <3<3".
Based on the tweet someone posted, CJ's dialogue indicates that they were close childhood friends. You can talk about your close friends that way, right?

People can freely interpret it anyway they want. But this clearly isn't as open as some people make it out to be.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan

Seems to be a Treehouse decision.

This has to be admired, really. The localisation team don't have to suggest these changes, but they do.
For the first one, they would have had to request that the dev team go out of their way to remove some assets (including text and art), which in my experience you need to provide a reason for. I would assume the reason was given and accepted by the Japanese devs.
The second one is technically just a "stylistic change", as I doubt there's any deep lore/canon or character bios written for these animals. But it goes a long way to representing more than just "friends" and straight couples.

It's interesting, then, that the dev team don't actively look upon these changes or the reasons for them in English, or try to incorporate them into the Japanese. Perhaps they do, but get turned down by the director. Or perhaps it's put on a low-priority to-do list, or "we'll consider it" list but never give it the proper attention.

Would be curious to see what other languages did - whether they were faithful to the EN or JP.

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019
Would be awesome if that was the intent but yeah it's frustratingly easy for it to be denied/explained away as something else. That alone makes it weak as representation, IMO. It leans more towards Dumbledore rather than Mr. Ratburn, as it were.

Obviously they shouldn't have gone the complete opposite direction and stereotyped them, but there are ways to make it clearer without using the word "boyfriend". Have him use the heart "emotion" effect when he talks about him, say they live together, something like that. Hell, even something like "we might come to [Island Name] for our honeymoon/a vacation!" would spell it out.

At least the game will receive multiple updates, maybe they'll host an event together or something where they'll have cute pet names for each other, that'd be cute.
This.
Especially thinking that they could've easily add a line make it crystal clear but chhose the wording for us eager lgbtqai+ defend and hype for it and those who are homophobes can easily deny. Key words like "honeymoon" would seal the deal, no need for coded representation. If we are gonna celebrate we can welcome NOA to 2000s.

giphy.com

Check It Out Animal Crossing GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Discover & share this Animal Crossing GIF with everyone you know. GIPHY is how you search, share, discover, and create GIFs.

Gif magicians can you please edit the gif and change 1000 bells to gay?

Yes we want whatever representation we get but we deserve so much better than coded representation coming only from localization, thank you very much.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
My son is trans and gay, and Animal Crossing is one of his favorite gaming franchises. I'll have to see what he says about this, but I personally think it's sad that something this ambiguous seems to be the most people can expect of Nintendo in 2020.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Kinda lame how there's couples but you can't get with anyone
s8aDyoV.png

But seriously please do not do that

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Unsurprisingly, Germany did not chime in and Flick's a "contact", with no questionable wording at all - making the heart in the middle of the conversation completely random.

Thanks Merkel.

Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: I don't know know what I got myself into posting in here, ducking the hell out quicksharp.

Last edited:

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly business partners, I really don't know how there was any doubt about that. The dialogue was literally referencing work.

Also, am I missing something with the 'lesbians' clip on page one? Merry is talking about a story, what about it suggests homosexuality on anyone's part?

Cannot believe I'm discussing same-sex relationships between anthropomorphic cartoon animals.
What about a princess's true love being another princess sounds straight to you?

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly business partners, I really don't know how there was any doubt about that. The dialogue was literally referencing work.

Also, am I missing something with the 'lesbians' clip on page one? Merry is talking about a story, what about it suggests homosexuality on anyone's part?

Cannot believe I'm discussing same-sex relationships between anthropomorphic cartoon animals.
yes, the princess of rocketboarding and her true love the princess of explosions are in no way homosexual!

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was leery of the "partners" being hailed as representation from the start. If the localization actually wanted to create LGBT representation where the Japanese developers failed to, then they would have done so more plainly (see: the princesses).

NoA's localizations have obfuscated or removed queer aspects as often as they've allowed or created them (see: Fire Emblem). They ain't flawless about this stuff.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I definitely read that as business partners. He runs the fish portion, while his business partner actually creates the sculptures.

We still got the princesses though. I wonder if that's the same in the Japanese version.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Do you feel elated that you were right?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
on one hand, i understand wanting representation so badly that you project and read into every little possible ambiguity of language.

on the other hand, that ain't representation, friend.

Nintendo should do better. Call me when we're talking plainly and openly about being queer like it's just a normal part of life, like it actually should be.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea that somebody reads that strategy guide blurb and feels like their question has been answered, as opposed to recalling decades of cohabiting gay couples using that EXACT line to describe themselves during the closeted '70s-'90s
I thought it was more regarding the partner line.

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo should do better. Call me when we're talking plainly and openly about being queer like it's just a normal part of life, like it actually should be.
Lol. You might as well say the Fire Emblem devs need to do better considering 90% of the mentions of sexuality/romance in Nintendo games come from that series and the other 10% are....Kafei and Anju in Majora's Mask, the Lover's Pond sidequest in BOTW, and the wedding at the end of Mario Odyssey

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I love the idea that somebody reads that strategy guide blurb and feels like their question has been answered, as opposed to recalling decades of cohabiting gay couples using that EXACT line to describe themselves during the closeted '70s-'90s

And it still happens all the time. I've heard plenty a gay/lesbian/bi person introduce their partner as their "roommate" in contexts where they don't want to draw attention to themselves or risk making waves, such as at work or with unfamiliar people.

CJ rapturously describing how much he looooves Flick's amazing art doesn't exactly seem like platonic roommate behavior to me, but I'm sure there's expert Game Understanders on the internet who will tell me that I'm wrong.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol. You might as well say the Fire Emblem devs need to do better considering 90% of the mentions of sexuality/romance in Nintendo games come from that series and the other 10% are....Kafei and Anju in Majora's Mask, the Lover's Pond sidequest in BOTW, and the wedding at the end of Mario Odyssey
Oh, to be sure, i don't think there needs to be any kind of romance in Nintendo games, straight or queer.

but if there is gonna be any it should be explicitly inclusive whenever possible.

and as a personal side note, i would happily remove ALL the relationship shit from Fire Emblem. I just want to strategize battles, god damn it!

And it still happens all the time. I've heard plenty a gay/lesbian/bi person introduce their partner as their "roommate" in contexts where they don't want to draw attention to themselves or risk making waves, such as at work or with unfamiliar people.

CJ rapturously describing how much he looooves Flick's amazing art doesn't exactly seem like platonic roommate behavior to me, but I'm sure there's expert Game Understanders on the internet who will tell me that I'm wrong.
I think it's weird that people can't genuinely love the things their platonic friends do?

like, that's a whole other issue when it comes to straight male/male friendships and openly expressing love and appreciation for each other in our culture

why can't people just really love their friends, regardless of the configuration of genders and sexualities? Why does everything gotta be a god damn dime store romance novel?

i also think it's weird to believe that NOA's idea of representation in this case would be to write the character so ambiguous it could imply they feel the need to hide the true nature of their relationship in a game where acceptance and support are such big themes

People are gonna be reeeeaal disappointed that a book embracing a platonic interpretation that we already knew was at least present in other localizations won't shut up the queers who have already embraced the idea of them being romantic partners and will take to the roommate thing like catnip
I think it's a fine reading and if people want to headcanon that shit then more power to them

what we shouldn't do is be giving Nintendo any kind of credit at all

Last edited: