• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
no way that Flick would make free fish sculptures for CJ if it wasn't for love
They're totally in love, but in fairness, the fish models are pretty mediocre compared to the bug models. Flick is clearly playing favorites when Coelacanth, Stringfish, Blue Marlin, etc. all have puny 1 tile models while the Atlas Moth model is an enormous 2x2 tiles.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
They're totally in love, but in fairness, the fish models are pretty mediocre compared to the bug models. Flick is clearly playing favorites when Coelacanth, Stringfish, Blue Marlin, etc. all have puny 1 tile models while the Atlas Moth model is an enormous 2x2 tiles.
All the more proof that he wouldnt do it if he wasnt being a supportive bf

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Everytime a thread involving any form of LGBT representation ends like this, i'm reminded of the massive balls it must have taken for Sony and Naughty Dog to agree on the 2018 E3 Trailer for TLOU2. That is actual representation in a massive AAA game folks, not having to create your own head canon that the devs will never touch with a 10 foot pole, don't give them praise where non is warranted.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Something about their relationship seems a little fishy, and it's really bugging me.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
It's fully clear to me that Nintendo did not intend for them to be lovers, but it's totally okay for people to headcanon it and enjoy that, just as people have with Samus Is Trans, Piccolo Is Black, and many other instances in fandom. But I'm reminded of something I've heard Austin Walker say many times before: when it comes to representation, people constantly settle for scraps instead of demanding feasts. Don't give Nintendo any credit for this, keep demanding more from them.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It's fully clear to me that Nintendo did not intend for them to be lovers, but it's totally okay for people to headcanon it and enjoy that, just as people have with Samus Is Trans, Piccolo Is Black, and many other instances in fandom. But I'm reminded of something I've heard Austin Walker say many times before: when it comes to representation, people constantly settle for scraps instead of demanding feasts. Don't give Nintendo any credit for this, keep demanding more from them.
There is a huge difference between these two being gay and Piccolo being black, I'd think. First of all, Nintendo is not a single entity. While the developers of the Japanese version may not have had the intention for them to be anything more than "tomodachi", the localization team decided to make them "partners".

These people make intentional changes and likely have some level of appreciation for the subtleties of language, because it's their responsibilities to make sure that things have been understood correctly. Previous localizations have turned male characters into female ones. That's as valid as any; they're in the position to dictate "for our version, things are different".

No one involved in Dragonball has been doing that for Piccolo. In the original, Piccolo is a sexless male-identifying slug from an alien species that spits out its babies who grew up thinking that he was a demon. The localizations all still place him roughly in that territory.

Last edited:

dziga

Banned
Mar 5, 2020
Everytime a thread involving any form of LGBT representation ends like this, i'm reminded of the massive balls it must have taken for Sony and Naughty Dog to agree on the 2018 E3 Trailer for TLOU2. That is actual representation in a massive AAA game folks, not having to create your own head canon that the devs will never touch with a 10 foot pole, don't give them praise where non is warranted.
please don't use term like "massive balls" when talking about lesbian couple
and why would you think that LGBT representation in 2018 was something "ballsy" ?

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I would have figured more of us would be relieved that Flick wasn't dating that awful streamer who is unworthy of love and terrible in every way

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
please don't use term like "massive balls" when talking about lesbian couple
and why would you think that LGBT representation in 2018 was something "ballsy" ?
What big video game, let alone blockbuster movie, trailer had a lesbian kiss in 2018 or before?
And a downright lesbian kiss is more than just representation. It's the full thing.
It is incredibly ballsy to build your marketing strategy on something that you know will get you banned in many countries. It sends the message that they're not willing to comprise artistic choices for monetary gains.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
I dont see much of a point trying to find subtlest hints to prove representation and be giddy about it when it can be done so much better... Even in the big game space there's Prey and Tlou 2 off the top of my head featuring such characters without 'hints' and the characters are fantastic! Like someone said above dont settle for scraps demand more from the company.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they're just business roommates? Seriously insane the thread was updated with False Alarm but the 'proof' is just, like, even gayer?

dziga

Banned
Mar 5, 2020
What big video game, let alone blockbuster movie, trailer had a lesbian kiss in 2018 or before?
And a downright lesbian kiss is more than just representation. It's the full thing.
It is incredibly ballsy to build your marketing strategy on something that you know will get you banned in many countries. It sends the message that they're not willing to comprise artistic choices for monetary gains.
One of the first trailer for The Sims that came out like 20 years ago ?

Edit : I'm not saying that TLOU2 isn't a good representation, it is a good milestone in videogame history, like many others before it

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
My former "partner" and I were also "roommates" and "business partners".

This is still hella gay.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Looks like someone might have gotten the official Future Press guide and... well

EVv8T23WsAIeiQ6

Via Twitter
Bert and Ernie are "roommates" too. You aren't fooling me, Nintendo.

OP
OP

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I dont see much of a point trying to find subtlest hints to prove representation and be giddy about it when it can be done so much better... Even in the big game space there's Prey and Tlou 2 off the top of my head featuring such characters without 'hints' and the characters are fantastic! Like someone said above dont settle for scraps demand more from the company.
Well of course, Nintendo are total cowards for how they're treating this and in the year 2020 better should be expected from them, regardless of Japan's cultural climate. Still, its pretty obvious they're gay and I love them. You can do both at the same time.

I would have figured more of us would be relieved that Flick wasn't dating that awful streamer who is unworthy of love and terrible in every way

Worst take.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Based on AC wiki, in the Japanese version, C.J tells the player he and Flick know each other via their parents for a long time.
Also Flick doesn't get along well with his family and especially his father because his father loves eating bugs.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
They're "friends" and roommates in Japanese too & I heard Flick also doesn't get along with his dad. The gay coding there is pretty obvious. You don't use the word partner from "friend" in Japanese without some understanding of the implications.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Sort of related, but I saw something about Julia the Peacock potentially being trans representing because she has male peacock insignias.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
Anyone can feel free to explain to me what the appeal is supposed to be otherwise of bombarding every piece of fanart posted on the internet of these two with "THEY'RE JUST BUSINESS PARTNERS!!!!"

To me it's just "gamers" doing as "gamers" do šŸ™ƒ
Exactly, poster I quoted is just dumb. Nothing wrong with any ships or gamer pairings they want. Who cares, it's just fun. Nofunallowed.jpg

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
So is that reference to the comic book about the lesbian princesses in the Japanese version of ACNH, or not?