When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• February 5th or 6th

Votes: 58 6.6%
  • February 12th or 13th

Votes: 119 13.5%
  • February 19th or 20th

Votes: 297 33.7%
  • Later Feburary

Votes: 123 13.9%
  • Early March

Votes: 127 14.4%
  • No Direct

Votes: 158 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I never played Animal Crossing before would you compare it too the Sims or is it deeper. I feel like me wife may be interested in this.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I mean if you look at a list of the datamine yeah you'll see there's less "content" than in previous games, but you'll probably won't even have the time to notice it in game before the updates start to add more stuff...
And just comparing content by number of stuff is dumb and ignoring how development actually works.
But if you think that adding whole new mechanics such as terraforming and crafting isn't worth losing a few items that you'll get in one month, then I don't know what to say anymore.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I think I'm gonna dip from the thread until release, if people are going to spend the next couple days glaring angrily at a pastebin document.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Features are also content. It takes time, it takes work and it adds to the game. It's definitely content.

Yeah I get what you mean, and I would almost half agree, kinda, but then I think about that you get used to the new way of playing so fast that after a few hours, it looses your definition of "content" again completely. Crafting tools and having Qol changes and easier ways of decorating as example are fantastic, but it doesn't add anything content wise to the game after doing these things twice or so.

In case of tools it even gets annoying that everything can break now, without showing you when and then you have to craft a shit tool before you can craft the good tool with that, every single time.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Ehhh.

No Nintendo-themed items. No paintings. No gyroids. No wet suits. No perfect fruit. No bananas. No lemons. No lychees. No durians. No persimmons. And no froggy chair.
So, some fruit types are gone. Nintendo themed furniture, paintings, Gyroids and swimming
TBH thats insignificant compared to the gameplay things they've added. And also I wouldnt be surprised if swimming and paintings come in a later update. And Nintendo stuff could be released in tandem with actual game releases or something. All in all we gained so much more than we lost

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Yeah I get what you mean, and I would almost half agree, kinda, but then I think about that you get used to the new way of playing so fast that after a few hours, it looses your definition of "content" again completely. Crafting tools and having Qol changes and easier ways of decorating as example are fantastic, but it doesn't add anything content wise to the game after doing these things twice or so.

Neither does having 20 extra chairs, but some people are arguing that's terrible and awful.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
So, some fruit types are gone. Nintendo themed furniture, paintings, Gyroids and swimming
TBH thats insignificant compared to the gameplay things they've added. And also I wouldnt be surprised if swimming and paintings come in a later update. And Nintendo stuff could be released in tandem with actual game releases or something. All in all we gained so much more than we lost
If you believe that one youtuber who leaked uchi and jock villagers are the starting type villagers, she also said that swimming is already coded in the game but that swimsuits might not be there at launch.
It'll obviously be a fun summer update.

None of this is surprising.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
They're treating this more like a gacha game. Anything that's missing can be added over time to tie into certain events like summer or Christmas.

Fabeltjes

Banned
Mar 7, 2020
This game is making me wish I had friends. I've never played Animal Crossing online and now I kinda want to.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you open the pastebin and think there's less content, I don't know what to tell you. It doesn't even load all the document in my computer.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
They're treating this more like a gacha game. Anything that's missing can be added over time to tie into certain events like summer or Christmas.
While this is something the game has in common with gacha games, I don't think it's fair to describe them as treating AC like a gacha game.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain

I think it's more GaaS than gacha. Keep updating the game constantly, adding new content so people don't get bored. But I seriously doubt they'll resort to gacha mechanics. They already have Pocket Camp for that.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
While this is something the game has in common with gacha games, I don't think it's fair to describe them as treating AC like a gacha game.
I mean, in terms of content, it's exactly what gacha games do. Would games as a service be more applicable? I don't mean they'll add a slot machine. I'm only talking about it from a content perspective.

komodothefist

Oct 30, 2017
Looks like Nintendo is pushing out a pre-release patch tomorrow, so there should be a little more than what's been mined already:
twitter.com

Tom Nook on Twitter

“[Announcement] The Ver 1.1.0 update for #AnimalCrossing: New Horizons will be available ahead of launch, starting at 6pm PT, 3/18. Customers who have preloaded the game after purchasing from Nintendo eShop will be able to download the update data at this time. #ACNH”

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
I see what you are trying to say but I disagree with the term gacha. Gacha mean my wallet cries for this content. What I see is the potential for Nintendo to sort of turn this into a game we can keep coming back to such as a GaaS.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
In case of tools it even gets annoying that everything can break now, without showing you when and then you have to craft a shit tool before you can craft the good tool with that, every single time.
One review said you can catch about 30 fish with a fishing pole before it breaks. It makes me curious though, would the plastic fishing pole break as well or is it only the basic wooden one? Can we make stronger ones? Are gold items back in? I'm guessing they won't break at all.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Am I the only one glad that the Nintendo items are gone?
That shit took way too much space, I had a literal room dedicated to just hoarding that stuff and with the extremely limited inventory you got it was a fool's endeavor to try to get them all.
that's not what gacha means??
People see random drops and then it's all gacha like they're asking for the deed of your house in exchange.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe now more people will realize it's not just GameFreak who has to make cuts and work on updates to meet deadlines

Maybe

Not gonna happen

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Being forced to collect materials to build items is not a feature I would say even remotely makes up for some of my favorite characters or furniture being missing. I could also edit my town layout with a save editor in New Leaf. I know not everybody had access to save editors but even if I hadn't already been able to do it New Leaf with save editors, it's not a feature I care enough about. All I did in New Leaf was put a moat around my house. The only new thing I particularly care about is putting furniture outside but again, I still don't think it's enough to make up for some of my favorite characters or furniture being missing.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit guys.

I WAS ONLY COMPARING GACHA GAMES AND HOW THEY DISTRIBUTE CONTENT. NOT THE ACTUAL GACHA MECHANICS.

This forum gets SO UPSET when you bring up gacha games in any way. I play a lot of gacha games. I do not play a lot of the more general "games as a service" games. So this is my point of reference.

Good lord. I was interested in this game but responses like "get out" are making me think otherwise. Jesus Christ. I'll just go back to my threads and you all can enjoy this game in peace without someone bringing up a forbidden naughty word.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Holy shit guys.

I WAS ONLY COMPARING GACHA GAMES AND HOW THEY DISTRIBUTE CONTENT. NOT THE ACTUAL GACHA MECHANICS.

This forum gets SO UPSET when you bring up gacha games in any way. I play a lot of gacha games. I do not play a lot of the more general "games as a service" games. So this is my point of reference.

Good lord. I was interested in this game but responses like "get out" are making me think otherwise. Jesus Christ.
Questioning you is not "getting upset," though that one response was somewhat rude.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Harvest Moons primary gameplay loop is managing a farm. Something that is totally absent from Animal Crossing.

Animal Crossing is entirely it's own thing and any passing similarities between the two games is superficial at best.
It depends on how you're usually playing Animal Crossing to be fair.
If you manage your place like a capitalist farm it can have some striking similarities with Harvest moon but it's really more telling about the player than about the game.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Being forced to collect materials to build items is not a feature I would say even remotely makes up for some of my favorite characters or furniture being missing. I could also edit my town layout with a save editor in New Leaf. I know not everybody had access to save editors but even if I hadn't already been able to do it New Leaf with save editors, it's not a feature I care enough about. All I did in New Leaf was put a moat around my house. The only new thing I particularly care about is putting furniture outside but again, I still don't think it's enough to make up for some of my favorite characters or furniture being missing.
Ok. Well there are a lot of assumptions going on here. lol

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe now more people will realize it's not just GameFreak who has to make cuts and work on updates to meet deadlines

Maybe

Not gonna happen
Even Gamefreak gave us gigantimax froggy chair, no froggy chair at all is completely unacceptable

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
One review said you can catch about 30 fish with a fishing pole before it breaks. It makes me curious though, would the plastic fishing pole break as well or is it only the basic wooden one? Can we make stronger ones? Are gold items back in? I'm guessing they won't break at all.

Gold items seems to be in and you can make stronger items, but GameXplain said they aren't really that much better and when it breaks you have to craft the weak one again before you can craft the strong one with materials and the weak one.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
In other words, "play the game in real time, god dammit."
Yep, any time traveler will have a horrible time having to play the events with everyone else.
If that's how you played the game I can understand not being happy but it was always something clearly outside of what AC was about anyway.