When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• February 5th or 6th

Votes: 58 6.6%
  • February 12th or 13th

Votes: 119 13.5%
  • February 19th or 20th

Votes: 297 33.7%
  • Later Feburary

Votes: 123 13.9%
  • Early March

Votes: 127 14.4%
  • No Direct

Votes: 158 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
This might be controversial, but I think this approach is really good for the game. If you can unlock everything from the beginning, the game will get stale earlier. If two months from now they add a new building with a new NPC and new stuff to do, the game suddenly has something exciting to do again. If they do that every so often, the game will remain fresh for way longer than it would if you could access everything right away.

Like imagine for instance they release an update in May that adds two new roaming NPCs. Suddenly every day is exciting because of the possibility of meeting them, instead of the usual suspects.

I think it can be great if they do it right.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
What was data mined from Splatoon 2 at launch? I feel like that will give us an idea, percentage wise, on what we can expect from future content in this game.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Hopefully if they bring back stuff, it's free. And if it's not, I hope it's just an expansion pass and not some randomized gacha shit where you keep paying money for a CHANCE to get the stuff you want.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
A lot of what people think is missing will be coming in patches. I imagine the day 1 patch will have some, whether we are able to access it right away or not.

I will say, I'm not sure why people dive into data mines for a game they're excited about. It kinda feels like finding your parent's credit card statement on Christmas Eve and learning what you'll be getting the next day that way.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Villagers: https://pastebin.com/WuTtFndu
NPCs: https://pastebin.com/xR885LtY
Items: https://pastebin.com/dhyYxgCY
There's no Nintendo-themed items. No paintings. No gyroids. No wet suits. No perfect fruit. No bananas. No lemons. No lychees. No durians. No persimmons. And no froggy chair.

Not even perfect fruit? Oh boy, seems like I was on point when I wrote this:
After watching both videos and after everything we know and saw so far from NH, I find it hard to believe that NH it's supposed to have even half of that. I really hope it is as deep as the previous games or even deeper, but knowing hands full of past gaming sequels and how gaming continuously changes to be more shallow, specially games supposed to be for a hardcore audience, there's a very good chance it isn't.

I'm not sure if they would really wait with stuff like in the spoiler for a day one patch. 🤔

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The datamine does mention an NPC which wasn't available in the game (by scanning the amiibo card) according to one of the reviews, so I'm curious about this list. Are these actual NPC's in the game or are they just their posters you get when you scan an incompatible amiibo (card)?

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
The datamine does mention an NPC which wasn't available in the game (by scanning the amiibo card) according to one of the reviews, so I'm curious about this list. Are these actual NPC's in the game or are they just their posters you get when you scan an incompatible amiibo (card)?
The datamine also lists all the holiday NPCs which aren't supposed to be added until the updates for them are out, so who knows what the list means.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'm pretty sure the list is super misleading. Nintendo knows leaks will happen, so they hide stuff. We'll see when we get the game, though.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Trying not to read too much of what's going on in here as there's talk of leaks and such, but seems like some people are bummed?

Sounds like from a critical perspective this game is the cat's meow. Is there something I'm missing?

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
This might be controversial, but I think this approach is really good for the game. If you can unlock everything from the beginning, the game will get stale earlier. If two months from now they add a new building with a new NPC and new stuff to do, the game suddenly has something exciting to do again. If they do that every so often, the game will remain fresh for way longer than it would if you could access everything right away.

Like imagine for instance they release an update in May that adds two new roaming NPCs. Suddenly every day is exciting because of the possibility of meeting them, instead of the usual suspects.

I think it can be great if they do it right.
I agree completely. Give me a reason to keep coming back.

I can't wait for the Nintendo direct that starts with a coffee mug being cleaned by a wing holding a rag and the video of the NYC Nintendo store losing their damn minds.

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
Trying not to read too much of what's going on in here as there's talk of leaks and such, but seems like some people are bummed?

Sounds like from a critical perspective this game is the cat's meow. Is there something I'm missing?
Certain series mainstay features and characters have been cut, and it is currently unknown whether or not they will be in future updates; some people feel this means the game is being sold unfinished

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019

People are going to be mad if anything they liked from the past games isn't in from the get-go. Personally, I see the small omissions merely as temporary sacrifices for a game that's an overall higher quality. Most of this stuff doesn't even seem particularly difficult to add later on.

'Course, this is coming from a guy who's seeing Brewster's name on the NPCs list and not caring about anything else, but y'know.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom

It looks like quite a bit of content (and characters) from previous games has been cut, and there's not a whole lot more than what's been shown off already. I'm sure there will be big updates, but right now it feels a bit of a let down considering how absolutely rammed with content New Leaf was in comparison.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

A lot is here, including a lot of new stuff. But there's also some stuff missing from older games. Some collectibles, some fruit types etc. It's not a game that's lacking in content, not at all, but some peoples favorites aren't in the game (as far as we know) and we have no idea if they'll get added in the future through free updates or paid DLC.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
People are going to be mad if anything they liked from the past games isn't in from the get-go. Personally, I see the small omissions merely as temporary sacrifices for a game that's an overall higher quality. Most of this stuff doesn't even seem particularly difficult to add later on.

'Course, this is coming from a guy who's seeing Brewster's name on the NPCs list and not caring about anything else, but y'know.
Brewster won't be there day one.
Every special NPCs already have datas in the files, including those that will only be added later on. Brewster is one of them.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain

Some stuff is apparently missing. We don't know if it'll be added in the day 1 patch, or in future updates, and people are upset.

The keyword here is apparently.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
It looks like quite a bit of content (and characters) from previous games has been cut, and there's not a whole lot more than what's been shown off already. I'm sure there will be big updates, but right now it feels a bit of a let down considering how absolutely rammed with content New Leaf was in comparison.
Considering the additions they've made with crafting and terraforming and moving houses and path making and decorating the island itself and the nook miles goals, I think they've got a shit tonne more in there than New Leaf had. I mean, really we're missing brewster from the start ( I think him coming in an update is pretty likely) aaannd I can't think of anything else thats really meaningful thats lost?

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Brewster won't be there day one.
Every special NPCs already have datas in the files, including those that will only be added later on. Brewster is one of them.
Confirmation that he's going to be there is good enough for me.

Lack of confirmation that gyroids will be added is not good enough for me.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
It strikes me as absolutely insane to claim that this game has "less content" than New Leaf, by the way.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure it's the terraforming tool.
We already know since the Direct that it's an "endgame" item.
They just can't confirm how/when you get it because of the embargo so they implied it this way.

They mentioned and showed the landscaping and waterscaping tools on the video. The embargoed item is definitely something different to it.

WIZRND

Oct 28, 2017
It seems like there must be more than we've seen in the review towns so-far — no one had upgraded their house beyond two rooms, or upgraded the shop very much at all, had they? Some content was locked behind e.g. having a 2nd floor in previous games.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
It strikes me as absolutely insane to claim that this game has "less content" than New Leaf, by the way.
It has less furniture, less fruit, less NPCs, less villagers (seeing as the crossover villagers are cut and there's not enough new ones to make up for all the ones cut), no gyroids or paintings. How does it not have less content?

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
It has less furniture, less fruit, less NPCs, less villagers (seeing as the crossover villagers are cut and there's not enough new ones to make up for all the ones cut), no gyroids or paintings. How does it not have less content?

It has a ton of new features that weren't in previous games. It more than makes up for having a smaller number of static stuff, if you ask me.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like time travelling kinda cuts into the social aspect of the game, for me. Like, whatever, if you want to cheat in your own game, go for it, but seeing people "ahead" of me would bother me.

I know it's not the point of the game, but still.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
But they couldn't even say what it was.
They mentioned and showed the landscaping and waterscaping tools on the video. The embargoed item is definitely something different to it.
I see it this way : the terraforming item by itself is obviously not under any embargo, but they've said that they can't say how and when you get it.
At a different point in the video, they talk about the game "opening" once you "finish" it and then immeditaly realized they can't reveal it because it's when you get the terraforming tool.
If there was a whole another tool as big as it sounds like it would have leaked by now, especially with the datamines. All the items in the game are already datamined.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Considering the additions they've made with crafting and terraforming and moving houses and path making and decorating the island itself and the nook miles goals, I think they've got a shit tonne more in there than New Leaf had. I mean, really we're missing brewster from the start ( I think him coming in an update is pretty likely) aaannd I can't think of anything else thats really meaningful thats lost?

Ehhh.

No Nintendo-themed items. No paintings. No gyroids. No wet suits. No perfect fruit. No bananas. No lemons. No lychees. No durians. No persimmons. And no froggy chair.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
It has a ton of new features that weren't in previous games. It more than makes up for having a smaller number of static stuff, if you ask me.
Putting furniture outside and editing the river is not so much new content that it adds up to there being more content than New Leaf. There's absolutely less content in the game even if you think the couple of new features make up for what's missing, there's still definitely less things than there were in New Leaf.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Ehhh.

No Nintendo-themed items. No paintings. No gyroids. No wet suits. No perfect fruit. No bananas. No lemons. No lychees. No durians. No persimmons. And no froggy chair.
Wet suits sucked, fruit is an incredibly minor feature. And Nintendo items/gyroids are an incredibly easy later addition whose absence you likely won't even notice unless you hyperfixate on it before they add it.

I'll give you froggy chair, though. That shit's criminal.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Putting furniture outside and editing the river is not so much new content that it adds up to there being more content than New Leaf. There's absolutely less content in the game even if you think the couple of new features make up for what's missing, there's still definitely less things than there were in New Leaf.

I guess crafting, furniture customization, improved house decoration, QoL changes to basically every single interface in the game, "sidequests" and all the other new stuff that you're ignoring doesn't count, then?

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Wet suits sucked, fruit is an incredibly minor feature. And Nintendo items/gyroids are an incredibly easy later addition whose absence you likely won't even notice unless you hyperfixate on it before they add it.

I'll give you froggy chair, though. That shit's criminal.
There are clearly tons of new items as well that weren't in previous games too. So I think the idea that there is less furniture is silly.