• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Animal Crossing has always been restrictive with saves.

Seems silly but they don't want you duping or cheating items.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I'm wondering if there's a larger benifical gameplay reason beyond just the shared island. Are actual changes happening to the save during the day while no one is playing? Perhaps mobile app function is effecting the island?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I assume they will be adding a full system transfer option to the OS to address this. It is nonsensical how the current system requires you to transfer individual users but not everything at once.
I've never actually tried this, but this means you can't just stick your old Switch SD card in a new Switch and have access to all the data on it?
All save data is stored on the Switch's internal storage, you can't have it go on the sd card

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
So basically you're screwed if you want to move your save data to another Switch. What the actual fuck?
It seems that transfers will work if you're on your own Switch and perform a full system data transfer, but a single account can't copy the save data

this is a huge reminder that Nintendo really doesn't want people sharing Switches

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
I was planning on getting a switch lite for this, so I wouldn't have to lug around the big case, and go back and forth with cloud saves. Guess i'm not doing any of that now huh

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
But why do it this way.

What is the game design benefit.
What other way is there to have a shared island that automatically sync between profiles?

The file/save that contains the island, which is probably the most valuable aspect of the game, is shared between every profile. Every profile then has a separate file/save for its configuration and character.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
So the 3 games you have to invest more time (Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Splatoon) don't support cloud saves.

Well, you can pay $16 to store your Pokemon I guess.

Oct 26, 2017
What other way is there to have a shared island that automatically sync between profiles?

The file/save that contains the island, which is probably the most valuable aspect of the game, is shared between every profile. Every profile then has a separate file/save for its configuration and character.

My question is, why do you need to do a shared island?

What is the game design benefit of this?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
There already is one
Where? All information just points to the current account transfer option, which is not a system transfer. You are only moving a single account at a time. Not the entire system's data. The problem with AC is that the save is not account specific, it's system specific. All accounts share the same save data. So transferring one account, even if it's the main owner's account, to another Switch doesn't move the save data as the other accounts still remain on the original Switch.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The worst kind of game to lock down a save file. Soooo much time will be spent in this that you're really going to fuck over anyone that has a system that breaks or if they want to upgrade to the Switch Pro next year?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
whyyy

giphy.gif

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
cringe, though with the severe drought of any substantiate game information... its hard to care much (yet)

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
But why do it this way.

What is the game design benefit.
it seems technical to me.

Assuming that it works the way I expect it to (the limitation only applies when one secondary user gets their own Switch and transfers specifically their own data, meaning that a full system transfer would transfer data), how exactly would a save transfer work? Would it copy the island, leaving the original intact and giving the new Switch a duplicate?

I think that this is an example of Nintendo's bizarre lack of communication about the game starting to bite them, people are assuming how undisclosed systems will work based on the tiny scraps of details that get out.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My question is, why do you need to do a shared island?

What is the game design benefit of this?
You get to live together and share the experience. You and your SO can complain about how you keep geting crappy villagers instead of Gabriel and Pietro or work together to make public works projects and whatnot. While forcing you to the same island is crappy, not letting you share the island would suck a lot

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
That's a horrible decision.

i could see cloud saves not being a thing. But not being able to at least transfer the saves in the same way that Pokémon and Splatoon do it is wrong

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
What exactly is Animal Crossing? If you guys don't want to answer me (understandable), can you link me to a good article/video explaining? Are there any old ones on 2ds?

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Startiing to get a little worried we no so little about this game. It's like a mixture of hype and anxiety. Hypiety. Why do we know so little about this Animal Crossing entry? We know that we will be building up from scratch, but I really want a confirmation that the old-school style of play is there as well. Everything looks awesome from what we've seen, but I really hope you can just relax in your town like the old games as well.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
i see the fan base is thirsty for news.
How does single screen multiuser work?

it's super cute! you phone a friend who also lives on the island on another account and can play locally within one screen, with either player acting as the "leader" for the camera and entering buildings and stuff. I would've flipped for it as a kid with my sisters.

above vid is linked at the relevant timestamp

Klortch

Dec 2, 2017
AC is my non-medicine mental health gaming medicine. I don't know if I can deal with the ever-looming anxiety of losing my progress.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys please pay for our online service so you can have cloud saves (that go away if you let it lapse for too long) because we don't allow any alternate type of save backup whatsoever. Also a number of our biggest games do not allow for this feature either, particularly games that you would actually want the feature for.

Thanks nintendo.

Oct 28, 2017
I was planning on getting a switch lite for this, so I wouldn't have to lug around the big case, and go back and forth with cloud saves. Guess i'm not doing any of that now huh

I already bought a lite in preparation of Animal Crossing. I already know my oldest son and daughter (maybe the wife too) will want to play this. At this point the only option is for me to buy the game on both systems and play online between the 2 islands? This is strange...what is the reason is what I must know.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
So it's basically a problem of the 1 island per console and transferring over would break shit. I'm guessing they'll release a way to transfer everything from one console to another to solve this.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Oh right. This is still a thing with Nintendo. I even started entertaining the idea of buying a Switch, but thanks for the reminder as to why I thought I didn't want to emotionally (and monetarily) invest in a Switch yet.

Plenty of other games to play, happy to buy a Switch years from now. Even if it means missing out on that sweet AC edition.