• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I was thinking about getting that animal crossing switch later but I guess I'll be locked into the same switch forever now?

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Well this is annoying. Me and my s/o share a Switch. Eventually we're going to get a second one, but one of us will have to completely start over? That really dampens my AC hype.
if it works like past games, there will be an option when the person with the new Switch starts their game that says something like "move in from another island," at which point you or your s/o can move away as their existing character to their own island on the new Switch.

you can't do a normal save transfer because it would require making a duplicate of the island, which makes no sense.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
No cloud saves is an absolute joke. I get that 'gamer outrages' can sometimes come across as entitled. But cloud saves are one of the three main things people are paying for with Switch online, so I think they are literally entitled to expect that time sink games like Pokemon and AC actually allow people to protect that time investment (yano the whole reason for cloud saves). I remember when my original chunky ps3 got yellow light of death, losing everything was absolutely crushing and obviously worse than if I just found out someone had been cheating with the clock or whatever in a non competitive game (like who the fuck actually cares).

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of a few time I root for hackers to hack the the shit out of the Switch. There is no excuse why the save should be forever locked in one unit.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
if it works like past games, there will be an option when the person with the new Switch starts their game that says something like "move in from another island," at which point you or your s/o can move away as their existing character to their own island on the new Switch.

you can't do a normal save transfer because it would require making a duplicate of the island, which makes no sense.
But a save transfer completely moves a save over, it doesn't make a copy.

EDIT: Wait... if the island is the same for everyone regardless of profile, then you wouldn't be able to transfer by profile because it isn't tied down to a profile....

Oh boy

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sounds like they could have easily avoided making this difficult for everyone by not forcing one island per console then.

I do not give a shit about the anti-duping arguments; this is not a competitive game and it doesn't have a live online marketplace to ruin. People are going to figure out how to dupe shit regardless. Yet we all have to suffer dumb policies anyway.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this gets clarified by Nintendo soon. I can't imagine a full system transfer excluding Animal Crossing save data.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably because, unlike pretty much every other Nintendo Switch game, Animal Crossing: New Horizons shares the island between every profile on the console, so the only way to transfer the save would be to overwrite every profile in the destination console.
In a dick measuring contest between the importance of only having one island that EVERYONE playing on a single console has to live on, and ALLOWING CLOUD SAVES AND CONSOLE TRANSFERS, The wrong fucking thing lost. Nintendo, I love your games, but god damn you fuck up the priorities sometimes. "We can't do our stupid thing that a lot of people don't even want us to do unless we massively compromise save security and user convenience. Better compromise save security then."

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
No cloud saves is an absolute joke. I get that 'gamer outrages' can sometimes come across as entitled. But cloud saves are one of the three main things people are paying for with Switch online, so I think they are literally entitled to expect that time sink games like Pokemon and AC actually allow people to protect that time investment (yano the whole reason for cloud saves). I remember when my original chunky ps3 got yellow light of death, losing everything was absolutely crushing and obviously worse than if I just found out someone had been cheating with the clock or whatever in a non competitive game (like who the fuck actually cares).
I'm defending pretty hard in this thread so I will give as an addendum to my posts that no cloud save for the whole island for a backup in case your Switch is lost or damaged is BS.

I think it would be the perfect opportunity to bring back Resetti, too, let him rant about he hopes you broke your Switch and aren't just cheating while your town is getting restored from the backup or whatever. Alternatively, and more gruesomely, they could limit resetting from a backup to once a month or something like that.

Regardless, cloud save backups should 100% be in and I think it's a bummer that they're not

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Dumb but that won't stop millions from buying it.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's online service continues to be the worst value in gaming even at $20 a year. Why the fuck am I paying for cloud saves when the games I want them for the most don't support the feature?

Why is this even an optional feature?

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Sounds like they could have easily avoided making this difficult for everyone by not forcing one island per console then.

I do not give a shit about the anti-duping arguments; this is not a competitive game and it doesn't have a live online marketplace to ruin. People are going to figure out how to dupe shit regardless. Yet we all have to suffer dumb policies anyway.
Yeah, I hear you and you're right. But from a technical level, there are two options:

a) everyone shares a single save that is accessed and manipulated by every profile
or
b) everyone has their own discrete save with no access between them

When people have said that the shared island is okay because it's "traditional," what they mean is "I have grown used to and enjoy this feature." Is the feature more trouble than it's worth? Seemingly increasingly so. But is it a feature that people like? Absolutely

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ay, so I'm stuck having to play this on my OG Switch as I want both handheld and docked mode for AC...and my Switch Lite is useless.

Thanks Nintendo!

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Local users playing together in the one location is kinda vital to the experience, but this is a huge downgrade compared to previous games.

GameCube - one town per memory card
Wild World - (actually I don't remember)
New Leaf - town was on the SD card and could be backed up or transferred to another unit without issue
Switch - island locked to console, cannot be backed up, cannot be transferred, no justifiable reason apparently (despite the console offering SD card storage and cloud backups...)

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This news about not being able to even transfer your save data locally is horrifying. What the fuck?
Agreed. What the fuck. I play my Switch Lite on the go, and I move to my normal Switch at home. I can do it with Pokémon, which is already pretty strict about this stuff. Can't believe Animal Crossing is even worse. :/

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
No save transfer is beyond stupid. Really all the decisions they are making regarding saves are stupid.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
arguably the most fan-pleasing, but seriously convoluted, solution would've been to give each user an island, and give each island four player slots like on the old games

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
Yeah, I hear you and you're right. But from a technical level, there are two options:

a) everyone shares a single save that is accessed and manipulated by every profile
or
b) everyone has their own discrete save with no access between them

When people have said that the shared island is okay because it's "traditional," what they mean is "I have grown used to and enjoy this feature." Is the feature more trouble than it's worth? Seemingly increasingly so. But is it a feature that people like? Absolutely
This seems too obvious so maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't they just tie the town to one profile and then have like multiple characters allowed on it that you select your one when you enter the game?

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
tbh Nintendo should've delayed the darn console with how many rushed implementations are holding it back three years later
They needed to get away from the WiiU.

I get it. Some of this sucks. I like the games enough to get over it. This probably won't end up bothering me that much, but being unable to move towns across consoles is terrible no matter how you look at it. And while I love the 'everyone shares' philosophy for this game, it ought to be optional.

A couple of whiffs.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Local users playing together in the one location is kinda vital to the experience, but this is a huge downgrade compared to previous games.

GameCube - one town per memory card
Wild World - (actually I don't remember)
New Leaf - town was on the SD card and could be backed up or transferred to another unit without issue
Switch - island locked to console, cannot be backed up, cannot be transferred, no justifiable reason apparently (despite the console offering SD card storage and cloud backups...)
Wild World was the shittiest, forcing you to share not only the same town, but the same house per cartridge.
City Folk was one town per system and could be saved to an sd card and transferred to another system easily

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Why not give the option of which island you wanna play if multiple are present on the console?
It's fair, I understand some people want to play out that way. Especially those with kids.
But I do kinda understand why Nintendo want to steer people away from it. Sharing a town with roommates over the years had been awesome and part of the AC experience.

(Ultimately it should be an option, even if I believe people have a lesser experience in my opinion)

It's no excuse for the save situation here though. This is fucked.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Man, biggest disappointment from Nintendo since SSBU's online.
Tying a game like AC to a single console is dumb and particularly scary for the people who deeply care about the game.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Even if it doesn't make the situation ideal, I'm hoping this is true. It would put me a lot more at ease.
I'm so certain this doesn't apply to full system transfers. We have an obvious reason for the warning, and a completely asinine and confusing one. I'm surprised that so many people are believing in the latter (though I have a hunch that's due to a mistake in the unofficial translation).
giphy.gif

occam's razor, people. a system transfer is a system transfer, but a single account upgrading cannot take a copy of the island with them. makes perfect sense.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This seems too obvious so maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't they just tie the town to one profile and then have like multiple characters allowed on it that you select your one when you enter the game?
They could do that, but then you wouldn't need to have each user subscribed to Nintendo Switch Online to access online content...

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
They needed to get away from the WiiU.

I get it. Some of this sucks. I like the games enough to get over it. This probably won't end up bothering me that much, but being unable to move towns across consoles is terrible no matter how you look at it. And while I love the 'everyone shares' philosophy for this game, it ought to be optional.

A couple of whiffs.
I'm about to challenge the entirety of Era to a 40,000 vs 1 avatar bet about a system transfer still being a gosh darned system transfer

Lirose

May 30, 2018
The wording is not clear at all. So is it that you aren't able to transfer individual user profiles to a new console or we totally will not be able to do a system transfer?

Because majority of the comments are talking about system transfer. Obviously one island one console would mean individual user profiles would not be transferable but why on earth would system transfer not be available?

This thread is confusing people. If system transfer is really unavailable that is totally unacceptable and disappointing but it's not been confirmed yet.

Civzy

Mar 21, 2019
*reads thread name*

First thought: Well at least NIntendo is listening to their fans and are trying to make the game inaccessible in frustrating ways.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Wild World was the shittiest, forcing you to share not only the same town, but the same house per cartridge.
City Folk was one town per system and could be saved to an sd card and transferred to another system easily
Holy shit I forgot about that!
Yeah me and my roommate had separate rooms we had to divide up. It sucked.

At least we were collaborating in paying off the loan, I guess. It wasn't worth the change though.

Miggy

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo, uh... what exactly are ya'll Nintendo fans paying online for?

Cause it sure as hell ain't for cloud saves.

Canas Renvall

Mar 4, 2018
This was one of my most hyped titles since it was announced. The shared island thing ruined it for me, and made me question if I was even going to buy it since I share a house with someone who will dominate my save file.

This just cements my choice not to purchase it, which really, really sucks. I love Animal Crossing, but this whole iron curtain bullshit is unconscionable.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
Man, biggest disappointment from Nintendo since SSBU's online.
Tying a game like AC to a single console is dumb and particularly scary for the people who deeply care about the game.
It's so Nintendo that the game where online arguably matters the most (smash bros) runs like shit online and the games where cloud saves are most important (AC, Pokemon) don't let you do it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The wording is not clear at all. So is it that you aren't able to transfer individual user profiles to a new console or we totally will not be able to do a system transfer?

Because majority of the comments are talking about system transfer. Obviously one island one console would mean individual user profiles would not be transferable but why on earth would system transfer not be available?

This thread is confusing people. If system transfer is really unavailable that is totally unacceptable and disappointing but it's not been confirmed yet.
System transfer will not be available as an option unless they update the Switch's OS to include a new system transfer function that transfers everything at once.