• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 56 4.1%
  • 95-99

Votes: 106 7.7%
  • 90-94

Votes: 583 42.2%
  • 85-89

Votes: 497 36.0%
  • 80-84

Votes: 113 8.2%
  • 75-79

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • under 75

Votes: 16 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 28, 2017
Also, i'm gonna say it.

The idea that animal crossing is niche, or that a game like it doesn't deserve 90 comes from the games industry still male-focused bias that always existed. It isn't a realistic dark game, or a shooter. It's a cute game and has a fanbase that is female on its biggest part, and because of that a lot of people think it "doest count", or just try to diminish it. And that happens with any franchise that isn't aimed just towards young males, and it also happens here, no matter how progressive this site wants to pretend it is.

I agree with this sentiment. This is also the reason New Horizons will never come up in discussions about visually impressive games, even though it's one of the most beautiful games of this generation in my opinion.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Yeah some people just don't like Animal Crossing because they have shit taste rather than some underlying conspiracy :^P
I never said people didnt liked because of a conspiracy. I said they dismiss it like nothing because of politics and marketing, which is quite normal in many industries.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
there's definitely some sexism involved - some incel was in the review thread talkin about how animal crossing looked 'vapid' lol

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I never said people didnt liked because of a conspiracy. I said they dismiss it like nothing because of politics and marketing, which is quite normal in many industries.
I'm just giving Puffy a hard time because he was complaining about the series earlier in the thread

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be disappointing for the score to be lower just because people are insecure about something that isnt in the genre they like. I also dont get how games lkike this can be more geared to girls than guys. Seems like some serious toxic masculinity issues more than anything else. Im a 35 year old guy who is tres excited for Friday. Animal Crossing is awesome. This being 4 player local coop as well means i can play with my entire family so im super duper excited.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The reality is that MOST genres are MORE niche than Animal Crossing, not the other way around. With how much NH is gonna sell you can't argue otherwise

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, i'm gonna say it.

The idea that animal crossing is niche, or that a game like it doesn't deserve 90 comes from the games industry still male-focused bias that always existed. It isn't a realistic dark game, or a shooter. It's a cute game and has a fanbase that is female on its biggest part, and because of that a lot of people think it "doest count", or just try to diminish it. And that happens with any franchise that isn't aimed just towards young males, and it also happens here, no matter how progressive this site wants to pretend it is.
very well said.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Also, i'm gonna say it.

Who the said that?

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why I'm not big on review threads going up early. It's full of predictions, theories, and a few haters coming in and arguing why people who like the game are wrong.

Sucks for posterity too. When I look at old review threads I always have to find the page where reactions to reviews start showing up.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Also, i'm gonna say it.

👏👏👏

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why I'm not big on review threads going up early. It's full of predictions, theories, and a few haters coming in and arguing why people who like the game are wrong.

Sucks for posterity too. When I look at old review threads I always have to find the page where reactions to reviews start showing up.
i'll do a threadmark for when reviews start dropping, but you're right, it does lead to trolls just showing up to do what they do. i mostly post review threads a day early because i want people to be able to vote in the poll but not everyone lives in the same timezone, but maybe i should stop doing that.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
i'll do a threadmark for when reviews start dropping, but you're right, it does lead to trolls just showing up to do what they do. i mostly post review threads a day early because i want people to be able to vote in the poll but not everyone lives in the same timezone, but maybe i should stop doing that.
Luckily, most of us are here to just chat and predict while anticipating the reviews dropping.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nah, I think I'm probably in the minority. It's still good to have a space for predictions before reviews come up.

Threadmarks also address post-embargo views of the review threads.

But trolls and people that simply post the metacritic number (that's what the poll is for!) always bring these threads down, that's for sure.

Aug 12, 2019
I expect the 85 to 89 range like most Nintendo exclusives these days seem to be. Animal Crossing is both a love it or hate it type series, and a poor game to review in a set period of time prior to launch (anybody who seriously plays Animal Crossing knows that two weeks or even a month of play is just barely scratching the surface of its content). I expect great reviews from fans of the series and I also expect some reviewers to applaud the achievements and advancements of the game while clearly not being its target audience... but I also expect that there will inevitably be a few reviewers who rate it lower just because its Animal Crossing.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I thought reviews would drop tomorrow. I'm excited to watch some AC videos in 1 hour.

lemonhat

Dec 6, 2018
Also, i'm gonna say it.

Couldn't agree more. The more 'hardcore' male-oriented AAA stuff doesn't really interest me in the slightest so it's incredibly irritating when games like Animal Crossing are rejected so flippantly by some posters as lesser in some way. I mean, Animal Crossing not being someone's cup of tea is absolutely fine, but I recall a poster bemoaning Nintendo's Q1 lineup saying AC clearly doesn't appeal to everyone and it was time for more 'big games' like Metroid Prime and Bayonetta which is just an absurd thing to say. AC is many magnitudes bigger than Metroid and Bayonetta in terms of appeal and sales and it easily makes this years Q1 the biggest for the Switch yet. It's widely expected to be the biggest selling game of the generation in Japan for instance.

Dismissing one of the biggest franchises in gaming because it doesn't fit what much of the industry considers worthy is just ridiculous at this stage. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if it was the biggest selling exclusive game of the year (Last of Us still has the edge, granted. But if AC grows as much in the West as looks likely it'll be close between the two I think. Nothing else stands a chance).

For reviews, I'm expecting around 86, but hoping for somewhere in the 90s. 2020 GOTY incoming!

Oct 27, 2017
The last entry sold over 12m copies. That's on par with top tier AAA exclusives. Animal Crossing is far from niche.
I think "life sim" is considered a niche genre in the sense that there really aren't too many games that fall into it. There's basically Animal Crossing, The Sims, and then other sims that have life sim elements (ie. Stardew Valley, Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, etc). I don't think niche in the sense that they don't sell well since these games are actually fairly popular

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna bet an 88, super excited! Just wish my office would finally accept reality so I can play it all day.

Feb 4, 2018
Also, i'm gonna say it.

❤️❤️❤️

30 mins!

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
there's definitely some sexism involved - some incel was in the review thread talkin about how animal crossing looked 'vapid' lol
A friend of mine's coworker (the friend is a woman) was arguing that Animal Crossing is a "girl game", and she was like "BRUH". He was arguing that no men played Animal Crossing, which she correctly told him is bullshit.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While waiting for the reviews to drop now's a good opportunity to revisit this and see how it'll hold up

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also, i'm gonna say it.

There is some truth to this, but it's also worth mentioning that I love Animal Crossing way more than my gf, and my gf loves Doom way more than me.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'm so nervous, the stakes have never been higher... will it be low 90s or plunge down into the high 80s??

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's time we blow this scene

Get everybody and the stuff together

Ok, three, two, one, let's jam!