• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Hanebado End
Didn't like how they portrayed the final point, but I guess I can't get on them for doing something different. Even with its faults it was an entertaining show, and one of the only two from summer I completed.

Gintama 366
dun dun

Edit: or just one more episode probably

Last edited:

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Anyways for this season.

Will Watch for Sure
Karakuri Circus

Will watch for sure when dubbed
Sword Art Online: Alicization (I might break and watch it before the dub just because it's the only show on this list that isn't a simuldub or dubcast)
Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken
Zombieland Saga (at least the first episode because it looks like it could be an amusing B anime)
Yagate Kimi ni Naru
Toaru Majutsu no Index III (I still need to watch season 2 >.<:)
Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Season 2
Goblin Slayer
Fairy Tail: Final Series

Have my eye on
Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai
Hinomaruzumou
Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet
Radiant (has a confirmed dub so will likely check out)
Ulysses: Jehanne Darc to Renkin no Kishi (has a confirmed dub so will likely check out)

This is more or less me, only I'll probably bite the bullet and resub to crunchyroll to also watch Jim Jam.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Hanebado 12 - 13

5ye0wF2.png
Pretty good match between both. Really happy Nagisa won this. Tone of the anime was a bit all over the place and simply having a serious sports anime with some lighthearted moments would have probably been better. Story with her mom kinda ended how I expected it and they definitely could have presented her atleast a bit differently if they were going to end it like this.

For all its faults, definitely want a second season

Oct 25, 2017
Hanebado Final

Wow, that was....poorly climax. In summary, it was all about
reflection to oneself
and it was a terrible retcon.

Oct 25, 2017
Double Decker Episode 1 ENG DUB

Kirill is pretty awesome and funny and I like how they didnt make him super smart or forward thinking and etc or even the chosen one, so I cant wait to see how far and up he goes in the Seven-O.

Good character design
tumblr_pei2fs1EIv1wsajfio2_540.gif

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I dropped most of the shows I was watching in the summer with the exception of Grand Blue and Planet With.

This season definitely didn't do much for me.

Last edited:

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Since this will probably be a backlog season for me, I want to trim the fat on my PTW. Which of these are not worth watching:

Movies
Harmonie
Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo
Kokuhaku Jikkou Iinkai (both movies; is the 6 eps series worth it as well?)
Nerawareta Gakuen
Pop in Q
Tekkon Kinkreet
Uchiage Hanabi

Series
Ajin
Akagi
Akatsuki no Yona
Amagami SS
B: The Beginning
Chihayafuru
Clannad
Demi-chan wa Kataritai
Denpa Onna to Seishuun Otoko
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (watched like 5 eps of the original a long time ago)
Full Metal Panic!
Ghost in the Shell
Honey and Clover
Jigoku Shoujo
JoJo
Kaiji
Kamisama no Memochou
Kimi ni Todoke
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon
KonoSuba
Log Horizon
Lovely Complex
Magi
Mahoujin Guru Guru (2017)
Mitsudomoe
Nana
Net-juu no Susume
New Game!
Nodame Cantabile
Osomatsu-san
Planetarian
Princess Tutu
Psycho-Pass
Re:Zero
Suisei no Gargantia
Symphogear
Tiger & Bunny
Uchuu Kyoudai
Utena
xxxHOLiC
Yuru Yuri
Zetsuen no Tempest

Thanks in advance. Here's my list if it helps with anything.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
didnt watch much this past season. Thank god DnD anime puppets are back. Goblin Slayer is clearly reaching a point where they start adventuring with the other characters, and that's when the edge drops for the most part which is great.

And I guess I'll hate watch SAO.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No cells at work? Happy Sugar Life? Harukana Receive?

Didn't care for happy sugar life and I got bored of Haruka Receive after the first 4 episodes. Cells at Work? I don't even recall why I stopped watching. Shit, I pretty much forgot about it for a while.

Definitely was disappoint because the sports anime was some of the ones I was looking forward to the most this season. At least the track anime for this coming season looks promising.

Last edited:

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Why does hidive always get shows I want to watch. Their service is so bad. They finally launched chrome cast support and it only has yellow subs.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Hugtto! Precure 34

So one boy is in love with Cure Yell, and another is in love with Nono Hana...obviously she needs to go on a date with both of them at the same time and place, switching between forms as appropriate, and inevitably showing up to one table in the wrong form, blowing the whole thing.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Since this will probably be a backlog season for me, I want to trim the fat on my PTW. Which of these are not worth watching:

Movies
Harmonie
Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo
Nerawareta Gakuen
Pop in Q
Tekkon Kinkreet
Uchiage Hanabi

Series

Out of all those movies I can tell you that Tekkon Kinkreet is awesome, and probably the most aesthetically imaginative of the bunch, whereas Uchiage Hanabi is kinda trash, so...

As for the series I'm gonna go ahead and recommend Mahoujin Guru Guru as it's a really charming, really funny and really underrated. Also, you should make watching Utena a priority and, most importantly, you should share your episodic impressions in this thread.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Looks like it's just a backlog season for me. Nothing interests me on that list.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Yugioh Arc V

Yuya's speeches are becoming annoying. Despite that, the series is a massive improvement over Zexal.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Hugtto Precure 34

This may sound like a mad conspiracy, but has anyone seen Hana and Cure Yell in the same place? Seems suspicious to me. Kotori has always been cute, so it's good to see some of her mad detective skills. I always like to see the public's perception of the Precure. Makes them seem like cooler heroes when people know them. Emiru stole the show once again. Hana has been a decent big sis overall. Sudden, but interesting development for Gelos. Third time I think where Kotori nearly died. Thank goodness for Yell, otherwise she'd be dead years ago.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just powered through all of Tsuredure Children and, ugghh, I want moooore. That was such a fun series, I need more awkward first love in my life. Season 2 sooner than later pls.

I've got Tsukigakirei sitting in my backlog, which I may go for next.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Started watching Monster recently, I'm on Episode 8. I'm watching it without subs and it's quite dialogue heavy so I don't understand everything but it's still very enjoyable so far. Most of the shows I watch are Shounen type stuff or action Seinen so it's refreshing to watch something a bit more... adult? I guess.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Princess Tutu-
YlqPgrLl.jpg

So this is an anime about a duck who transforms into a ballerina who then fights a crow via the power of dancing. Wait what? This turned out to be a fantastic anime that focused not only on larger themes such as the role of the author in the creation of a story but things such as being yourself even when ugly and powerless (although duck Ahiru is cute as hell). I didn't find much of the episodic content to be worthwhile but the main story more than makes up for it with its twists and thematic messages. I was also impressed that the writer and director didn't wimp out on the ending and instead delivered a really emotional finale.
9RudFcOl.jpg

The narrative theme I liked the most was about the role and responsibility of the author in writing a story. Do they have free will in the telling of a story and do they have a responsibility to their creations? It's something not often argued in either fiction or real life. In reading interviews with authors, some mention how a story was heading a certain way and they were somewhat powerless to change it while others would say after reflecting on the struggles a character had, they decided to change an event at the last minute. I find this to be an interesting discussion because there isn't any right answer as it's purely up to the individual author's personality and writing style. Another theme about moving forward, even when helpless, resonated with me. Ahiru repeatedly got stuck and even knowing she was facing a dead end, pushed through not only for others but herself and wanting to be proud of who she really is.
6jsfCn1l.jpg

It's rare to see a fairy tale framing like this in any medium but the fantastic short openings help sell it. This narrative frame device along with the ballerina dancing replicates the feeling of the opera. You can tell that was a focus of the director with how much classical music was used such as the Swan theme from Swan Lake. It's not just the narrative though but the characters that make up this story become ever more engrossing as the plot goes on, expanding from shallow shells of themselves to complex characters being torn apart at the whims of the author.
09lNWu2l.jpg

Visually this was something special even if there weren't any major sakuga cuts. Yet somehow I didn't feel shortchanged in any part unlike Welcome to the Ballroom and that's because of the strength of the storyboarding and direction. You can tell the animation staff used tons of real life performances as references and they do enough in a scene to display those performances. The show is also filled to the brim with reaction faces, which really helps the comedic moments. I imagine it was a holdover from Sato Jun's work on Ojamajo Doremi.
AIC8NbGl.jpg

Overall this was a great anime and makes me wish we got more anime like this that experimented with completely different formats. Before watching this I had a fairly minimal interest in opera but I think I'll try to catch a performance of Swan Lake at some point. Ahiru is a good duck.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Will I post even less in this thread as the one before? How the mighty has fallen. I don't even get to post the SAO thread. What's the point?

Also HosannaExcelsis , you might want to report the OP of the previous thread and ask for it to be locked.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, Cloverworks stopped being an studio of A-1 and now is it's own company but now subsidiary of Aniplex instead of A-1.

Hanebado 12 - 13

Pretty good match between both. Really happy Nagisa won this. Tone of the anime was a bit all over the place and simply having a serious sports anime with some lighthearted moments would have probably been better. Story with her mom kinda ended how I expected it and they definitely could have presented her atleast a bit differently if they were going to end it like this.

For all its faults, definitely want a second season

Very doubtful considering the meaningless BD sales and volume boost, both which it needed considering that Toho (distributor) and Kodansha (manga publisher) were the companies with most investment on the committee.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
If I only watch the puppets does that count as not watching anime this season and therefore ascending to a higher being?

phaze

Oct 26, 2017

Movies
Harmonie
Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo
Nerawareta Gakuen
Pop in Q
Tekkon Kinkreet
Uchiage Hanabi

Series

IMO and all that:
Harmonie - I don't even remember much about it other than it just not being good or interesting enough to seek it out.
Ajin - In some ways it's refreshingly grounded with a fun MC and fun abilities that get put to to good use with fun combat scenarios and tactics but the offputting CG and S2's second half being a heavy disappointment, don't let me really recommend it.
Kokuhaku Jikkou Iinkai - turned it off halfway and never managed to get back.
Akatsuki no Yona - bad from what little I've watched.
Amagami SS - so bad it's good if you're in right mindframe. The mindframe of watching it for the purely for the lulz.
Kimi ni Todoke - 6/7 eps in it's a hilariously bad melodrama.
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon -

Out of your list I can recommend Mahoujin Guru Guru, Gargantia and Brotherhood.

Revue Starlight 06

Nanami episodes still best episodes. Even if the denoument feels weak as hell.

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
Grand Blue 12 - END

what's better than this? guys being dudes.
the shonan no kaze op is a bop. 6/10

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
watching Bubblegum Crisis and was reminded that one of my fav things about 80s scifi/mech anime is when the animators slip in references in English, usually on computer screens. Dirty Pair was full of this iirc.

m3NJyFn.jpg

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Double Decker! episode 1 dub

Good, except for YELLING NARRATION GUY.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Thunderbolt Fantasy Season 2, Episode 1:

I look forward to the renewed debates on if this show is anime or not. That aside, yea, it is indeed a new season of Thunderbolt Fantasy, doesn't seem like it has missed a beat in any category at the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.