• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Zombie Land Saga - 11

I like the twist of the typical optimistic, friendly lead actually being the most depressed and miserable one of them all.

If she's allowed to perform in the finale, the venue will blow up.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Zombieland Saga 11

So Sakura's big secret is that she's a cosmic plaything, who isn't allowed to strive for anything in life. Fitting really. Though it seems dying earned her some karma points, seeing how she has become an actual idol. Kotaro did actually have a good moment here I'll admit. But most importantly, Yugiri when.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Has Gintama TV show ever recovered from quality decline after the director change and "studio change"? (I know its basically still Sunrise)

Its the newer season after they covered the Courtesan and Star wars arc, and the latest movie.. I stopped following after 10 eps or so because its not as funny and the character art consistently derpy.. been thinking to give those newer season another shot because I miss Gintama

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Zombie Land Saga 11
Now that's seriously some messed up luck. I loved the bit with the old ladies in the middle. What a show that can make you laugh at just how ridiculous this all is while also understanding how Sakura feels
It's very Gintama-like. I like it.
Has Gintama TV show ever recovered from quality decline after the director change and "studio change"? (I know its basically still Sunrise)

Its the newer season after they covered the Courtesan and Star wars arc, and the latest movie.. I stopped following after 10 eps or so because its not as funny and the character art consistently derpy.. been thinking to give those newer season another shot because I miss Gintama
I never really noticed any decline like that, but the Star Wars parody arc is the one that made me take a 3-month break from Gintama. It is by far the most unfunny the show becomes, and I really couldn't handle it. But everything after that is as golden as everything before it.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

The final arc is peak Gintama (mainly because it brings comedy back into the focus again). So many great callbacks to shit you'd never expect to come up again. A lot of the heavy story arcs definitely suffer in art quality, but there's so many big battles compared to early Gintama that I almost can't blame them. A lot of the key fights like
Gintoki vs. Takasugi
are done well.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Zombieland Saga 11

I hope we get the giant monster and sentai team for real next episode

Oct 27, 2017
Zombieland Saga 11

Sakura's backstory was not what I expected. I liked how even in the most dramatic situations they know when to put humor. Interested to see where the last episode goes.

It makes me sad we never found out the backstories for Yugiri and Tae because I was looking forward to them. I am hoping we get another season or hell a couple of OVA's about them if they won't make another season.

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018
Mob Psycho 100 II trailer left me in awe. Great song paired with great animations. Winter season needs to arrive ASAP!

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
OMG that Mob Psycho PV was hype, I'd put myself in cryogenic stasis but I gots Slime and Zombieland to watch this season, although watching a few Slime episodes in a row sounds nice, hmmmmm.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
First off, the new Mob Psycho 100 trailer looks hype! OP sing sounds strong.

Second off, how much of the rest of the story is this covering? The entire rest of the manga? Does anyone have any idea?

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
First off, the new Mob Psycho 100 trailer looks hype! OP sing sounds strong.

Second off, how much of the rest of the story is this covering? The entire rest of the manga? Does anyone have any idea?

Probably up to chapter 90 unless it's 2-cour. Would need another 12 episodes to finish the rest.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Zombieland Saga 11

Sakura's backstory was not what I expected. I liked how even in the most dramatic situations they know when to put humor. Interested to see where the last episode goes.

It makes me sad we never found out the backstories for Yugiri and Tae because I was looking forward to them. I am hoping we get another season or hell a couple of OVA's about them if they won't make another season.
given what we know, Yugiri was hung or beheaded for being a sex worker/angering the wrong person while working at age 19 (as indicated by the marks on her neck) which was decently common for her time
and Tae likely died doing something like attacking a bear or froze to death given her low intelligence (as she has clearly been awoken for a while now) She clearly isn't stupid though (she's been learning language and has mostly picked up the dances), so it's likely that she is from the cave man era.

personally I feel like we know more about Yugiri than we do Junko even though we know Junko died on a plane crash.

I would guess that Tae will get a mention in the last episode. So we will have to see if she has truly been awoken at the same time as the others, or if she is just partially awoken.

I'm guessing we wont' get a definitive answer on Yugiri for her death, or as you said it might get an OVA for that, as her backstory might involve more mature themes and be a better fit for an OVA.

Gen Fukunaga, the Funimation CEO, opened up about what led to the breakdown of their partnership with Crunchyroll.
  • Funimation was actually interested in renewing partnership with Crunchyroll.
  • Crunchyroll's terms of the partnership would've prevented Funimation from expanding to new regions.
  • Since Crunchyroll wouldn't budge on those terms, Sony decided to forgo extending the partnership.
He likely should have gone on the record about this when the deal was breaking up. Everyone assumed that it was sony's doing that broke the deal, and it's unlikely this statement will change people's minds on that at this point because most won't see it.

Mob was a crunchy license that funi dubbed under their partnership right? so the odds of a dub for this season is actually pretty low isn't it?

Gen Fukunaga, the Funimation CEO, opened up about what led to the breakdown of their partnership with Crunchyroll.
  • Funimation was actually interested in renewing partnership with Crunchyroll.
  • Crunchyroll's terms of the partnership would've prevented Funimation from expanding to new regions.
  • Since Crunchyroll wouldn't budge on those terms, Sony decided to forgo extending the partnership.
That, so far, seems fair given how big Funi is and with the Sony backing it allows them to move into new areas.

Mob was a crunchy license that funi dubbed under their partnership right? so the odds of a dub for this season is actually pretty low isn't it?
There could be a deal between Crunch and Funi to do certain dubs but what I bet would happen is Crunchyroll start their own dubbing studio.

Oct 25, 2017
He likely should have gone on the record about this when the deal was breaking up. Everyone assumed that it was sony's doing that broke the deal, and it's unlikely this statement will change people's minds on that at this point because most won't see it.

Fukunaga explicitly says it was Sony's doing that broke the deal:

Under the old deal with Crunchyroll, Funimation wasn't allowed to stream in certain regions. Sony Pictures Television Networks, which acquired Funimation in 2017, felt it was impossible to remain in the Crunchyroll deal under those conditions.

"[The decision] had to go all the way to Tokyo for approval," Fukunaga said. "Even outside of Sony Pictures, it had to go all the way up to the CEO of Sony himself."

The dub for Mob Psycho was actually done by Bang Zoom under Crunchyroll's direction and then licensed to Funimation for distribution. So there should be no problem in having a dub done by Bang Zoom again with the same cast.

Oct 27, 2017
given what we know, Yugiri was hung or beheaded for being a sex worker/angering the wrong person while working at age 19 (as indicated by the marks on her neck) which was decently common for her time
and Tae likely died doing something like attacking a bear or froze to death given her low intelligence (as she has clearly been awoken for a while now) She clearly isn't stupid though (she's been learning language and has mostly picked up the dances), so it's likely that she is from the cave man era.

personally I feel like we know more about Yugiri than we do Junko even though we know Junko died on a plane crash.

I would guess that Tae will get a mention in the last episode. So we will have to see if she has truly been awoken at the same time as the others, or if she is just partially awoken.

I'm guessing we wont' get a definitive answer on Yugiri for her death, or as you said it might get an OVA for that, as her backstory might involve more mature themes and be a better fit for an OVA.
I hope.
This anime has been really good that I want more. Hoping they still insert Thriller parody in some way next episode.

I watched Skip Beat anime a couple of days ago and I enjoyed it. Anybody know how likely it is for it to get another adaptation if at all?
Something about it was really unique when compared to most anime these days.

Oct 25, 2017
Fukunaga explicitly says it was Sony's doing that broke the deal:
I guess CR was afraid FuniSony would encroach on their own territory, only reason I can see why CR would be adamant about keeping those terms,
and that Sony views catering beyond America as important for the future of streaming services.

I assume FuniSony will swiftly do something to open their own content internationally, perhaps...

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I hope.
This anime has been really good that I want more. Hoping they still insert Thriller parody in some way next episode.

I watched Skip Beat anime a couple of days ago and I enjoyed it. Anybody know how likely it is for it to get another adaptation if at all?
Something about it was really unique when compared to most anime these days.
The odds of skip beat getting another season is roughly on par with the odds of sega properly getting back in the console business. Aka not impossible but a very low chance. The only slight plus to the odds will be if fruits basket does well but even then skip beat got screwed hard at airing as it aired in the time slot the super ecchi shows normally air if i recall right.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Bloom Into You Episode 11:

It is not everyday that you have the image of your idol and would be role model torn down to the very core nessetating a very deep resentment of identity.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
The Rose of Versailles 01

DuZLZUtVsAEB9dr.jpg

This show sure aged like fine wine. I'm absolutely floored.

Oscar is a wonderful character who not only manages to charm but also leaves something to wonder and effectively, root for her. The characters and the ensuing drama in every scene is something that really caters to my proclivities in terms of the gravitas of a moment or a plot point. The historical context sets the stage for what's to come and what's at stake, I'm excited to see where it goes.

These images are right before the OP, I could not bring myself to pause and take pictures later on as the story picked up and kept my attention.

Oct 27, 2017
The odds of skip beat getting another season is roughly on par with the odds of sega properly getting back in the console business. Aka not impossible but a very low chance. The only slight plus to the odds will be if fruits basket does well but even then skip beat got screwed hard at airing as it aired in the time slot the super ecchi shows normally air if i recall right.
Man that sucks.

I hope Fruits Basket helps with a revival of those 2000's anime because there are so many gems from that time. People like to call that period weak but IMO it has a lot of hidden gems.

Oct 25, 2017
Man that sucks.

I hope Fruits Basket helps with a revival of those 2000's anime because there are so many gems from that time. People like to call that period weak but IMO it has a lot of hidden gems.

Fruits Basket is merely continuing an already established trend. 2018 saw revivals of anime properties from the late 1990s and 2000s ranging from popular IPs such as Cardcaptor Sakura to more obscure IPs such as Basilisk and Hoshin Engi. Pretty much anything can get resurrected these days.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Golden Wind 11
download-2.png

Not a bad conclusion to a fight I wasn't entirely into. I will say this, I'm not entirely sure the show is successful in making me care about the main cast. They lack the enjoyable comedic hook of previous Jojo leads. Narancia's flashback here doesn't really come into focus with the fight. It just tells me a bit about him.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Index III - 11

Bloody 'ell mate, how much Britain can you fit in one episode?

Queen Elizabeth
Might as well be excalibur
Knights
Football puns (excuse me "soccer")
Robin Hood
Scottish Independence
Witches on brooms
That train station was totally Harry Potter
Only thing missing was tea and bisc- OH COME ON!!!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Fruits Basket is merely continuing an already established trend. 2018 saw revivals of anime properties from the late 1990s and 2000s ranging from popular IPs such as Cardcaptor Sakura to more obscure IPs such as Basilisk and Hoshin Engi. Pretty much anything can get resurrected these days.
I didn't realize all of those were revivals (well I didn't know about any of those apart from Basilisk). Sounds promising nonetheless!

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Domestic Girlfriend teaser:

Looks darker than I was expecting.

I'm up to date with the manga.. I wouldn't say the series is that dark until a bit later on when there is a story line in particular that is. Mostly it's just angsty. It's made me misty-eyed a number of times. I agree that this trailer is dark though -- they make it look like a Persona game or something!

I'm curious how much they'll censor it because the series has a ton of sex and nudity in it. I wonder if it will be like the Blu-ray version has extended scenes or if all the sex stuff will just be a moment and then gone.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Watching Juni Taisen: Zodiac War and four episodes in...god I hate this Monkey character.

Theres always got to be that one frickin character in the death games animes that just wants to hold hands and sing with everybody.

Stop believing in the goodness of humanity, damn you!

*shakes fist*

Nezumi was more annoying.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Kimo to Boku 10-13
Damn, I wish there was more of this. It got so good at the end! If the whole thing was as good as the latter half of episodes, it'd be one of my all time favorites!

Run With the Wind 02-04
So I haven't touched this since week one, and I just kept trying out other shows, despite liking the first episode.
It seemed alright.
I put the show on my "watch by myself list", I've gotten married since the season started, and thus my "watch with SO list" has gotten enough priority that I decided to try the show out with her, and she liked it.
Episodes 2 through 4 show really good quality in taste among both the writing and music. I want the soundtrack to this show every time I watch it.
The dialogue feels like grownups were supposed to watch it, and I like that.

Sep 7, 2018
I just finished the end of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but I feel like there's more. This is my first time watching the series, but I've seen images of characters that weren't in these 2 seasons on the internet. I just saw the end of Joseph Joestar's story.

I was starting to get put off around the midpoint of the beginning, but the show got better with Joseph Joestar's last episode and definitely picked up in Jojo 2's saga.

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the end of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but I feel like there's more. This is my first time watching the series, but I've seen images of characters that weren't in these 2 seasons on the internet. I just saw the end of Joseph Joestar's story.

I was starting to get put off around the midpoint of the beginning, but the show got better with Joseph Joestar's last episode and definitely picked up in Jojo 2's saga.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure as a manga/anime series is divided into multiple parts featuring different protagonists, and what you watched (the "first season" by TV airing standards) only covers Parts 1 and 2. Part 3 is called Stardust Crusaders and aired as 48 episodes split into 2 24-episode seasons, Part 4 is called Diamond is Unbreakable and aired as one 39-episode season, and Part 5 is called Golden Wind and is currently in the midst of airing. And then there are more manga parts which have not yet been adapted into anime. So yes, you have quite a bit more Jojo ahead of you, whether you want to continue the anime or read the manga.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
yup. releases next year, will be a full manga adaption. The creator is heavily involved and no one that worked on the previous project will be involved at all.
It was one of my favorite anime back in the day so I'm sort of sad to hear it's an entirely new team but I'm excited to watch it either way! Will it just be a rehash then or will it pick up where the first series left off in terms of story? It's been so long that I don't remember much so I could watch it re-tell the previous stuff but it'd be nice to get new content.

It blows my mind that it's been 17 years since it came out. College sometimes doesn't feel that long ago until stuff like that pops up and reminds me.

Sep 7, 2018
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure as a manga/anime series is divided into multiple parts featuring different protagonists, and what you watched (the "first season" by TV airing standards) only covers Parts 1 and 2. Part 3 is called Stardust Crusaders and aired as 48 episodes split into 2 24-episode seasons, Part 4 is called Diamond is Unbreakable and aired as one 39-episode season, and Part 5 is called Golden Wind and is currently in the midst of airing. And then there are more manga parts which have not yet been adapted into anime. So yes, you have quite a bit more Jojo ahead of you, whether you want to continue the anime or read the manga.
Does the rest have a dub?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
It was one of my favorite anime back in the day so I'm sort of sad to hear it's an entirely new team but I'm excited to watch it either way! Will it just be a rehash then or will it pick up where the first series left off in terms of story? It's been so long that I don't remember much so I could watch it re-tell the previous stuff but it'd be nice to get new content.

It blows my mind that it's been 17 years since it came out. College sometimes doesn't feel that long ago until stuff like that pops up and reminds me.
given the creator actively hated the first version, and the reason no one from the original is on the new one because she didn't want anything from the old version to have anything to do with the new version. I think it's safe to say that it's going to be starting from the start of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.