• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now watch Kanon 2006 ;p
And then watch Air.

I actually haven't watched Air since I was 14 years old.
Time to watch Fruits Basket 2019
I can only handle so much... I am about 10 or so eps into Fruits Basket though, I fell off of it just because of life and plan to watch the rest once this season is done, idk if it plans on going into a S2. Kanon and Air though, all I see is they are Kyoto as well and I am terrified.
Those feels from ep.16/18/21 will never go away. They will always be there as as reminder of why the show is so damn great!
Man even 20, just the moment of Tomoya thinking about playing games with both of them if Nagisa was still around had me breaking. Him on the train home, hearing Nagisa's parents at night.... All that shit freaking HURT lol. And I said that now that I've finished it, everything is fine, it's gonna be ok.

It's not. I keep seeing the freaking shot from 16 and I am extremely bothered lol.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I can only handle so much... I am about 10 or so eps into Fruits Basket though, I fell off of it just because of life and plan to watch the rest once this season is done, idk if it plans on going into a S2. Kanon and Air though, all I see is they are Kyoto as well and I am terrified.

Man even 20, just the moment of Tomoya thinking about playing games with both of them if Nagisa was still around had me breaking. Him on the train home, hearing Nagisa's parents at night.... All that shit freaking HURT lol. And I said that now that I've finished it, everything is fine, it's gonna be ok.

It's not. I keep seeing the freaking shot from 16 and I am extremely bothered lol.

Being a young parent years ago hit the message home even harder for me. Ep. 16 for obvious reason, the whole of episode 18 and what it represented, the sunflowers, and the walk in the snow in ep. 21, that final show there.. yup, I was done right there...

I loved the way took everything that happened in Clannad and wrapped it up perfectly in After Story as both emotional and beautiful in their own ways. As the music kicks in in ep. 22 it's just an amazing scene/feeling...

I still turn the soundtrack on my phone once in awhile and listen because the music/ambiance of the show is outstanding as well.

If you liked Clannad, definitely check out Kanon(2006) and Air as well. Angel Beats to a lesser degree (although, I liked it more than Kanon/Air)

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Tomorrow is Promare! Excited!
I got the show on the 19th, but I am also excited!

Though what I didn't know is that the movie is reserved seating for some reason (no other movies there are reserved, including other anime movies, so this is odd) and I got the tickets too late, so now I am sitting right in the front row.

Appropriate for a Trigger movie I guess, but I have no idea how it will really work with subtitles.

Deleted member 179

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being a young parent years ago hit the message home even harder for me. Ep. 16 for obvious reason, the whole of episode 18 and what it represented, the sunflowers, and the walk in the snow in ep. 21, that final show there.. yup, I was done right there...

I loved the way took everything that happened in Clannad and wrapped it up perfectly in After Story as both emotional and beautiful in their own ways. As the music kicks in in ep. 22 it's just an amazing scene/feeling...

I still turn the soundtrack on my phone once in awhile and listen because the music/ambiance of the show is outstanding as well.

If you liked Clannad, definitely check out Kanon(2006) and Air as well. Angel Beats to a lesser degree (although, I liked it more than Kanon/Air)
I loved it too, it almost felt like OG Clannad was almost less of a contained series and more just this wild setup for After Story to kick into gear and really make you care. I think my only complaint with After Story was the lack of their friends from high school, but I thought about it and that's totally normal, my friend group splintered off the same way. I guess I wanted just one more reunion lol, especially since Tomoyo was missing from their New Year's one.

The music is also freaking fantastic, I find myself humming some of the tracks and am prob gonna listen today lol. I'm adding Kanon and Air to MAL, Angel Beats too. I just might need a break for a few weeks because my heart can only handle so much.
I wish Clannad had the guts to end at episode 18 because it would have been such a good ending.
I honestly didn't see the ending coming the way it did. I expected
the whole thing with Nagisa coming back to be some kind of fever dream while Tomoya wandered to the area where that hospital is, and the magic of the town to just bring back the kid, and they live on in memory of Nagisa. Nope, I got everybody back, and couldn't believe they had done to me what they did previously.

Last edited:

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I honestly didn't see the ending coming the way it did. I expected the whole thing with
Nagisa coming back to be some kind of fever dream while Tomoya wandered to the area where that hospital is, and the magic of the town to just bring back the kid, and they live on in memory of Nagisa. Nope, I got everybody back, and couldn't believe they had done to me what they did previously.

Just in case, you might want to spoiler this whole section.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
anilist-stat.png

My titles watched based on year is interesting. Its not complete as I'm still slowly adding stuff in but I do have a lot of old anime on my backlog as well.

I think as a whole the quantity of anime has definitely skyrocketed since the 00s.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
I think as a whole the quantity of anime has definitely skyrocketed since the 00s.

I'm sure there's actual numbers out there, but I think while there's probably more shows being made than before, Crunchyroll and other services have led to an explosion in the number of easily available shows. There was still plenty of stuff being made in the mid-late 00's but not as much of it was brought over (legally or not).

There's also other effects like split cour shows that serve to artificially inflate series numbers. If HeroAca had come out in the early 00's for example, it would be one series with slower plot and filler arcs as opposed to 4+ series.

Deleted member 179

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Just in case, you might want to spoiler this whole section.
Good point, I never think about tags with an older series, whoops.

Idk if anyone has played the VN, is it worth it? I saw Tomoyo has an After Story-like chapter that I'm super interested in because I liked her a lot and as I said, wish she was around more in After Story. I've read it gets pretty cheap during Steam sales, so I might grab it.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Good point, I never think about tags with an older series, whoops.

Idk if anyone has played the VN, is it worth it? I saw Tomoyo has an After Story-like chapter that I'm super interested in because I liked her a lot and as I said, wish she was around more in After Story. I've read it gets pretty cheap during Steam sales, so I might grab it.
I bought the PS4 version, but I haven't gotten past my Destiny addiction to play it yet.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
I got past the american idol arc and I love carole & tuesday again wtf

this evan kidd bogart guy keeps writing clones of beyonce's halo and every single one of them is amazing

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I'm sure there's actual numbers out there, but I think while there's probably more shows being made than before, Crunchyroll and other services have led to an explosion in the number of easily available shows. There was still plenty of stuff being made in the mid-late 00's but not as much of it was brought over (legally or not).

There's also other effects like split cour shows that serve to artificially inflate series numbers. If HeroAca had come out in the early 00's for example, it would be one series with slower plot and filler arcs as opposed to 4+ series.

There are way way way more anime made today than 10-15 years ago.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017

I've never had a problem with access except for some select movies but then again I don't use CR all that much. Back then I would watch via other means and then buy the physical stuff translated or not to support.

Edit: The hours watched definitely paints an interesting picture though, it looks like a lot of the older anime I watched had 50+ episode runs while so many of the series I watch now are either 12 episodes or of course split up like you mentioned.

anistat-hours.png

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Black Lagoon gave us Balalaika and I will forever be grateful for that, otherwise the rest of the show/series is fair game.

The GF and I started watching Samurai Flamenco and we're not even halfway done and I'm both confused and excited for where this is going. While I don't appreciate some unfortunate aspects/moments of the series, I do love the overt and subtextual queer themes that have been present since the first episode.

I LOVED Samurai Flamenco and I think I was the only one in my group to make it through to the end. Worth it.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I just tried to resume the first episode of Arifureta again and I couldn't last another minute. What an absolute abomination. I am SO curious how this has been received in Japan.. it's so poorly animated that I truly can't believe this is on TV.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I just tried to resume the first episode of Arifureta again and I couldn't last another minute. What an absolute abomination. I am SO curious how this has been received in Japan.. it's so poorly animated that I truly can't believe this is on TV.

Try the second episode, it actually makes sense.

That first episode is the worst animation/editing/direction I've ever come across in anime.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
The Wasteful Lives of High School Girls episode 11

A Wota/Sensei episode. The whole episode. Really could have done without heavy breathing guy. Disgusting.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Halfway through the show when the pedo stuff showed up and I started sensing a really bad love triangle I looked at who wrote it and that made me instant drop lol.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Try the second episode, it actually makes sense.

That first episode is the worst animation/editing/direction I've ever come across in anime.
I've read some of the manga so I was sort of looking forward to it but I just can't. Everything is so bad.. I am floored.

Is Kabaneri any good? I see the series is on Amazon and the recent movie/OVA (?) that just came out was added to Netflix apparently. Ooh, I see Wit Studio made it.. guess I'll give it a shot given their other shows..

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I've read some of the manga so I was sort of looking forward to it but I just can't. Everything is so bad.. I am floored.

Is Kabaneri any good? I see the series is on Amazon and the recent movie/OVA (?) that just came out was added to Netflix apparently. Ooh, I see Wit Studio made it.. guess I'll give it a shot given their other shows..
Its decent. It's similar to snk and about the same quality if you ask me.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Joshikousei 11

Nice that a comedy show like this could have a serious and cute episode. I was really expecting Wota to completely lose faith once she found out the identity of her idol was her teacher. But it strengthened her resolve instead and she accepted him and I loved that. The teacher's thank you to her was great as well.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I can only handle so much... I am about 10 or so eps into Fruits Basket though, I fell off of it just because of life and plan to watch the rest once this season is done, idk if it plans on going into a S2
S1 ends this week. They need at least three seasons to adapt the entire manga as promised at the pace they have been taking.

Apr 24, 2018
Random question for anyone: Any summer (or otherwise recent) slice of life shows with a good dose of melancholy? Some shows that I've watched during this past year or so that I've really enjoyed:

Your Lie in April
The Flower that we saw that Day (Ano-hana)
The Pet of Sakura-sou
Hi-Score Girl

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Random question for anyone: Any summer (or otherwise recent) slice of life shows with a good dose of melancholy? Some shows that I've watched during this past year or so that I've really enjoyed:

Your Lie in April
The Pet of Sakura-sou
Hi-Score Girl
Most of the slice of life stuff from this season is pretty comedically oriented.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA

Your Lie in April
The Pet of Sakura-sou
Hi-Score Girl

(not this summer, but overall)

Clannad/Clanad After Story (a MUST in this genre)
Kanon(2006)
Angel Beats
Honey & Clover
Erased
Cross Game (if you like sports/baseball)
White Album 2

Just off the top of my head.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017

Your Lie in April
The Pet of Sakura-sou
Hi-Score Girl
Recent and melancholic?

A Place Further Than the Universe
March Comes in Like a Lion
Natsume's Book of Friends (very long series but one of the greatest slice of life ever)

Apr 24, 2018
Most of the slice of life stuff from this season is pretty comedically oriented.
Good to know - I've just started watching one show from this season and am really not too familiar with the current offerings - thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion! Never heard of this series, but I'll look into it!

(not this summer, but overall)

Clannad/Clanad After Story (a MUST in this genre)
Kanon(2006)
Angel Beats
Honey & Clover
Erased
Cross Game (if you like sports/baseball)
White Album 2

Just off the top of my head.
Thanks! I saw most of Honey and Clover years ago and enjoyed it. Also really liked Cross Game. Haven't seen any of the others that you listed (I saw a bit of an older Kanon a long time ago, I think). I'd written down Clannad as a series to see a long time ago but never got around to it. That may very well become my next watch!

Recent and melancholic?

A Place Further Than the Universe
March Comes in Like a Lion
Natsume's Book of Friends (very long series but one of the greatest slice of life ever)
Thanks for the recommendations! I've seen March Comes in Like a Lion and really liked it. Never heard of the last show that you listed but that's quite an endorsement - I'll have to look into it!

Deleted member 179

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to know - I've just started watching one show from this season and am really not too familiar with the current offerings - thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion! Never heard of this series, but I'll look into it!

Thanks! I saw most of Honey and Clover years ago and enjoyed it. Also really liked Cross Game. Haven't seen any of the others that you listed (I saw a bit of an older Kanon a long time ago, I think). I'd written down Clannad as a series to see a long time ago but never got around to it. That may very well become my next watch!

Thanks for the recommendations! I've seen March Comes in Like a Lion and really liked it. Never heard of the last show that you listed but that's quite an endorsement - I'll have to look into it!
I just finished Clannad and After Story, I was talking about it in here earlier today. I cannot recommend it enough. If you want melancholy, you're gonna get it.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Sacred Beasts 12 FIN

Who knew humans were the real beasts all along? Not I. For real though, it was fun to see Cain finally let loose.

In the end it was a bad show with some good moments and while I doubt there will ever be a second season, I'd probably watch it if there was. No idea if that last conversation was in the manga but I guess in retrospect the three early eps that were mostly anime original were a result of the larger story yet to be told that may not have been quite finalized in the manga's run.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Did anyone watch Penguin Highway? Its airing pretty soon here in germany. Also im hyped about the Konsuba movie, which is coming later this year. (/≧▽≦)/

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hensuki 11:

Our birthdays are 5 months apart!

Keiki: "Doesn't that mean our parents tried really hard?"

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Cop Craft Episode 11:

When we talk about avenging the off modeled we are probably talking about all the characters from this show, good lord.

Last edited:

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California

Your Lie in April
The Pet of Sakura-sou
Hi-Score Girl

violet evergarden (winter 2018) maybe? has similar big cathartic emotional climaxes as anohana and your lie in april

Did anyone watch Penguin Highway? Its airing pretty soon here in germany.

yeah! I liked it a lot but I love studio colorido stuff in general. I wouldn't go in expecting a fully coherent story but it's a blast to watch and colorido's visuals are a joy as always

Status
Not open for further replies.