• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
It's not their job. Who are they supposed to contact? Netflix never even publicly advertises their anime stuff. What simulcast company bothers to fix subs? It costs money and they need to go back and get approval for any changes. Since they are also doing a simuldub it's even more ??? when the subtitles are terrible or illogical, and honestly they are bad the whole way through the episode. Is someone supposed to just reach out to Netflix and let them know the entire episode is poorly translated?
So hang on, you're advocating that if you have a problem with something on Netflix's service, you should not reach out to them and discuss the thing you have issues with, with them?

Is that not what customer service is for?

Oct 25, 2017
I am amused that Ayumu Watanabe, directing the currently airing After the Rain, is directing not one but two baseball anime next season: Gurazeni and Major 2nd. What a guy.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
It's not their job. Who are they supposed to contact? Netflix never even publicly advertises their anime stuff. What simulcast company bothers to fix subs? It costs money and they need to go back and get approval for any changes. Since they are also doing a simuldub it's even more ??? when the subtitles are terrible or illogical, and honestly they are bad the whole way through the episode. Is someone supposed to just reach out to Netflix and let them know the entire episode is poorly translated?

You missed the /s at the end.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's Netflix's fault that the sub company they hired employed a translator that had trouble with that translation.

If only the person that made that pic went through the actual trouble of contacting Netflix instead.

Of course it's Netflix' fault indirectly? They're at the top of the production chain so if the sub company "they hired" did a subpar job translating I sure can exlaim a 'fuck's sake netflix!"? As if saying that is a big deal to begin with.

And whether that person contacted netflix or not, they're still allowed to create and share that comparison for discussion's sake.

appaws

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I hope you all won't mind giving me some recommendations....

My wife is obsessed with the show Yona of the Dawn. She has watched it multiple times. (I liked it too, but just watched once.) She has sought out fan translations of the OVAs, soundtracks, etc.

She also enjoyed Fushigi Yugi and Guilty Crown.

What should we watch now? We have hulu and netflix. I could renew my old sub to crunchyroll for something really good, and maybe to watch School Live again.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Of course it's Netflix' fault indirectly? They're at the top of the production chain so if the sub company "they hired" did a subpar job translating I sure can exlaim a 'fuck's sake netflix!"? As if saying that is a big deal to begin with.

And whether that person contacted netflix or not, they're still allowed to create and share that comparison for discussion's sake.
Great, so now it's being discussed. Now what happens?

Netflix hires a company to do subs. They aren't going to proofread all the subs themselves, so people find out there are bad subs. Now, normally one would think that you would contact Netflix CS, point this out to them and they would escalate internally. Now Netflix knows about it and can contact their contracted sub company and they can work on making better subs or even replace the bad subs/subber.

Alternatively, we can post image here, complain about how bad Netflix subs are and make more images in hopes at some point someone at Netflix goes on Reddit and sees it? Seems very counterproductive to me.

I wonder what would have happened if nobody ever contacted Netflix about the Freaks & Geeks episodes being out of order due to following TV-broadcast order rather than production order, because that show is confusing as hell if you watch it in broadcast order. Point is, Netflix has pretty good customer service, and if you raise an issue with them, there's a good chance they'll try and fix it.

Oct 25, 2017

once-upon-a-time-lifeoduex.jpg

Time sure changed.

(How I miss all those Multi-European-Japanese productions)

MultiJhonny

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Belladonna of Sadness
BD_PRESS_KIT__1.326_.1-thumb-1280x929-56967_-1482316807-726x388.jpeg

An early 70's psychological anime film. Technically part of a trilogy, it's chocked full of sex and violence and psychedelia. A wonderful watch, although beware it's an intense film. Don't watch it unless you're mentally prepared for some shit.

This movie is so incredibly good!!

Really intense stuff but I actually wanted to rewatch this after Devilman Crybaby.

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
So hang on, you're advocating that if you have a problem with something on Netflix's service, you should not reach out to them and discuss the thing you have issues with, with them?

Is that not what customer service is for?
Why...? I already watched the show and ran into the lousy translation. It is not my responsibility to edit their subs, and it would leave me sending stuff in for things to be fixed literally almost every day of the week.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Ramen Koizumi 03

Oh snap...is...is Koizumi warming up to Yuu after trying her home cooked ramen!?

Death March 02

I wonder how long it'll be until someone realizes the MC is level 310? Not sure I get why he feels the need to keep his power level hidden.

Märchen Mädchen 02

MC has the most powerful magical power book but doesn't know how to use it right. Not surprised. Fully expecting her to fight red-head at some point and somehow win despite zero exp.

Valdfellgar

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts

My wife is obsessed with the show Yona of the Dawn. She has watched it multiple times. (I liked it too, but just watched once.) She has sought out fan translations of the OVAs, soundtracks, etc.

What should we watch now? We have hulu and netflix. I could renew my old sub to crunchyroll for something really good, and maybe to watch School Live again.

It's not really the same, but best I can suggest off the top of my head is The World is Still Beautiful on Crunchyroll. It's got a powerful female character, but doesn't match with the more harem adventure stuff that Yona or Fushigi Yugi have. Yona, I think, is kinda the best that sub-genre has to offer.

Oct 25, 2017
Just to play devil's advocate, when I contacted Netflix about missing footage in Ajin Episode 4 they did nothing. And I tried to tell them there was footage missing multiple times. I know it's not the same as subtitles, but I can understand the feeling that Netflix won't listen.

I would expect that Crunchyroll is more responsive to customer feedback than Netflix is.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Couple questions before Major 2nd. Does the Major anime cover the whole manga? Is there any legal place to watch it?

Valdfellgar

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I would expect that Crunchyroll is more responsive to customer feedback than Netflix is.

Oh I'd agree, I've never contacted them myself, but I once made a gag on twitter about one character 'mistranslating' what their brother was saying all the time. One of Crunchyroll's reps immediately reached out and mistook that for an actually upset complaint that the subtitles were wrong. So yeah, super responsive.

Oct 25, 2017
Junji Ito Collection 03

A Part - Extremely boring.

B Part - lol alright sure.

This feels more and more like a Yamishibai episode stretched to 20 minutes. Thats not a good thing.

Valdfellgar

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Mary and The Witch's Flower:

Okay, not great. First hour is honestly a bit of slog, takes way too long for the inciting incident and first act turning point to hit. There's also quite a few plot holes later on or at least lingering questions that could've done with an answer or two. Looked great though, definitely more something for kids than a wider audience I feel.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Tiger Mask W 07-08

I need to find time to marathon this (not this weekend!) considering I'm running out of time.

Takuma and Naoto's relationship shown in episode 7 makes their clash all the more invigorating.

I'm not sure what Tiger Mask will have going for the next 30 episodes with big events popping up so early, fortunately that's welcome.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017

Seirei no Moribito (hulu) is an acclaimed show that takes place in a similar setting to Yona. Honestly not sure if it's a good rec here cause it goes after bit more serious vibe than Yona (from what I've seen of it) but check it out, Female protag, nice production values. Vision of Escaflowne (Funimation) seems somewhat similar to Fushigi Yuigi at cursory glance. A teenage girl transported to another world goes on adventure (with mechas and pretty boys falling for her). Ouran High School (seems like most of platforms have it ?) is a good comedy as well as very restrained reverse harem, not quite there genre wise but one of best shoujo and comedy things out there.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017

Vision of Escaflowne if you want another fantasy adventure with a girl being transported into another world full of hot bishies.

Oh! Edo Rocket if you want a fun comedy set in a highly stylized and highly irreverent version of feudal Japan with a lot of heart.

Seirei no Moribito/Guardian of the Spirit if you want a great show with great characters and an absolutely amazing female protagonist.

From the New World if you want a horror fantasy with incredible world building that goes to some very dark places and will have you on the edge of your seat.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Kililng Bites 2

second most artistically adept show of the season (behind Devilman Crybaby) keeps on doing its thing. first shot of the next preview killed me.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Couple questions before Major 2nd. Does the Major anime cover the whole manga? Is there any legal place to watch it?
The answer to your first question.... for the most part.
the main seasons cover the manga well enough but then there is just a special to cover the last bit, which to my understand left a number of things out, but at the time it came out there was no translation for that part and I haven't bothered to check again.

As for a legal place to watch it... looking at crunchy it doesn't seem like they have the rights anymore (to be fair I think they only got the rights to the later seasons when they did have them), so I don't think there is a legal place to watch it anymore :(

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Violet Evergarden 02

This was like ... a plain bad ep ? Glasses-chan is both incomprehensible when she allows the Violet letter to be sent (and why wouldn't the customers get to hear those letters read aloud, like before they're sent ? bizzare) and laughable to boot when the show writer/LN tasks her with being the exposition vehicle for the setting and for her own feelings.) Complained about Violet earlier on and all that sadly still stands.

Genocidal Organ

While I enjoyed most of of my time with it, a lot of the dialogue struck me as cumbersome and exposition laden. I'm not sure if you can even break down the political situation, show off the world, broach the concepts, this movie does, without resorting to just that but as a result a lot of it felt like watching a string of most up your ass SAC episodes. And I must say the end game barrage of twists really lost me and soured the movie for me.
It's both rote (The Bad West is behind everything again), nonsensical (John Paul's motivations and why he was left in barely guarded hotel after all the trouble you went to secure him) and vague [who if anyone gave actual orders, why the bad evil corporation went against gov etc).

Lu Over the Wall
Pretty good. Sort of 'generic', not in bad way but in that I could see it being a Disney movie or something and one would generally expect something more off kilter from Yuasa. The characters and their arcs aren't particularly interesting but it's a very charming and kinetic production possessing really impressive volume of movement and great animation. Could have done without some of the overdrama in the latter half and a 20 minutes shorter version, the climax in particular feels drawn out and overlong to the point of starting to get tedious.

Also I didn't get the ending,
What happened to the Mermaids/men. Kaput ? Even Yuasa wouldn't do that in a family movie right ?

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Grancrest Senki 03

Geez, Siluca might as well be a different character in the anime. All the planning and scheming turned into "If we're lucky and someone helps out the others will follow and everything will probably turn out fiiiine~". :/
What's the point of the battles when all the motivations and strategizing is skipped.
Dropped. I'd like to see where the story is going, but not with such a hackjob of an adaption...

Beatless 02

Garnidelia Opening, nice.
That modeling stunt was definitely not an awful idea and sure isn't going to bite them in the ass, surely not.
The concept of an 'analog hack' is incredibly stupid.
Will continue watching~

OP
OP
BGBW

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Last time I checked forums are for discussing and sharing things. If that image hadn't been posted, many wouldn't have been aware of the issue (even if *cough cough* the rules *cough cough*)

Guess every time I have a problem with a Nintendo game I'll ring their customer service line rather than share my impressions with others who might actually be interested since apparently it's a waste of time because no one at Nintendo will read them.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Junji Ito Collection 3

Why do they keep doing boring stories? who decided this? Slug girl isn't bad but it's like 10% of the episode.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017

She should definitely read the Yona manga. It gets amazing.

She might enjoy Chihayafuru. It's a shoujo sports series with great music and characters. It's not fantasy but it's fantastic. It's on CR.

Other suggestions:
- The Heroic Legend of Arslan (Hulu)
- Snow White With the Red Hair (Hulu)
- Seven Deadly Sins (Netflix). It's more shonen / fantasy than shoujo but it's solid. A decent amount of toilet humor / fan service though.
- Chaika The Coffin Princess (CR, HiDive)
- Rokka: Braves of the Six Flower (CR). This one is a little different from the rest but give it a shot. Fantasy / Mystery.
- Cardcaptor Sakura (CR)
- Scrapped Princess (CR) I havent seen this myself but I see it get recommended often

Last edited:

MultiJhonny

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Violet Evergarden Ep 2

I am just gonna echo what a lot of people are saying here "pretty but really heavy handed and lacking subtlety"

It's like they are screaming at me to be emotional or tear up the entire time. I will keep watching because I love the setting and it's pretty lol

Yuru Camp Ep 3

Comfy continuation. What a wonderful show. The comfiness is Flying Witch level. This could be my new favorite all time slice of life show.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, this scene struck me as being strangely written when I watched it earlier. I suppose it's not too much of a surprise to find out that it was an issue with Netflix's translation. They should probably do a better for stuff that's actually got their branding on it.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed subs on CR disappear often mid sentence. Sometimes they would flash in the screen for a second and then they would be dismissed. Happens mostly with older shows.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Ah, this scene struck me as being strangely written when I watched it earlier. I suppose it's not too much of a surprise to find out that it was an issue with Netflix's translation. They should probably do a better for stuff that's actually got their branding on it.
Considering how Netflix strangles bandwidth for shows, I doubt they care.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Kizumonogatari I, II, and III
Kiss-shot managed to deceive, didn't expect to feed on humans since shinobu only ate monsters before. My favourite fight was by far the episode one, the cross throws and teleports looked really cool.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Hakumei to Mikochi 2
This is a very nicely paced show, and I'm still digging the watercolor filter and panel transitions. I feel these more short-form chapters work a little better in helping to provide a nice variety of stories given how pedestrian the pacing of the show is. Simple as it may be, I get the feeling this is going to be my relaxing show of the season, as it just exudes so much charm while remaining so mellow.

Beatless 2
Why did I think this was going to improve? Never mind the stupidity of putting your illicitly-obtained android waifu on public display for the whole world to see, but the whole thing regarding the "analog hack" has to be one of the most stupid things that feels like it came out of the wake of Stand Alone Complex. The idea of people being unable to tell, at a glance, whether someone is real or not because of the android's designs is fine, but the idea that because of that people can be "programmed" by these androids via social cues to react in specific manners is neat, but illogical in this context because the androids simply appear humanoid, but don't replicate human appearance exactly. It feels like an idea that someone came up with after watching Stand Alone Complex and believed they totally understood the principle behind the show's namesake, and was going to do something similar in their work. But it doesn't make sense in the context of the show, because the second example they give feels incredibly artificial. Are you telling me in a world where androids exist that they'd send human police officers in pursuit of violent human offenders who attacked other humans? The idea that the crime scene of a case matching that description would be staffed by android police officers should be expected, that's just common sense. But why bring logic into this sci-fi story, it'll just ruin all the fun won't it... perhaps I'm being too hard on this show after watching Westworld recently. I'm going to watch one more episode to see if this has any sparks of interesting material in it, but if it fails again, I'm dropping it.

Oh and Beatless's second episode was the first thing I watched after finishing Land of the Lustrous. Talk about coming down from a high...

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Mary and the Witch's Flower

Fantastic visually, but felt rushed. Characters weren't fleshed out enough. Went in expecting Harry Potter, got The Island of Doctor Monreau/Akira instead.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Boruto 41

I want to point out there was a scene where everyone was running and Boruto was pumping his arms and everyone else was doing the arm behind them running thing and it looked weird.

Kind of a boring and dull mini-arc. It's hilarious when you compare this first mission to Naruto's. All the kids are also still hilariously overpowered.

Oct 26, 2017
After the Rain 2

Eat your heart out KyoAni. This is good direction, and accompanied by a very nice art with a very fitting classical score that enhances it. Story is a very simple character A has one sided love to character B, but the direction makes it feel as something worth watching, elevating simple scenes like the MC taking the train as something beautiful.

Lots of love for the art of her:
And cloud porn too:

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
She should definitely read the Yona manga. It gets amazing.

She might enjoy Chihayafuru. It's a shoujo sports series with great music and characters. It's not fantasy but it's fantastic. It's on CR.

Other suggestions:
- The Heroic Legend of Arslan (Hulu)
- Snow White With the Red Hair (Hulu)
- Seven Deadly Sins (Netflix). It's more shonen / fantasy than shoujo but it's solid. A decent amount of toilet humor / fan service though.
- Chaika The Coffin Princess (CR, HiDive)
- Rokka: Braves of the Six Flower (CR). This one is a little different from the rest but give it a shot. Fantasy / Mystery.
- Cardcaptor Sakura (CR)
- Scrapped Princess (CR) I havent seen this myself but I see it get recommended often
Arslan is fantastic! I need my Season 2 already.

Boruto 41

I want to point out there was a scene where everyone was running and Boruto was pumping his arms and everyone else was doing the arm behind them running thing and it looked weird.

Kind of a boring and dull mini-arc. It's hilarious when you compare this first mission to Naruto's. All the kids are also still hilariously overpowered.

Boruto keeps spitting on the goddamn legacy with his refusal to do the ninja run and it annoys me to no end. (Also, this is a problem with the new generation in general but the new headbands suck)

Also, to be fair, these kids went through real shit before they even graduated with the Mist Village arc and the Naruto Gaiden arc.

Finally, feel free to join us in the Boruto OT:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/boruto-ot-naruto-next-era.498/

Status
Not open for further replies.