• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
looks like a pretty slow season and I'm not even sure if that's just the Mob effect because that's supposedly been in production for a very long time. wouldn't be surprised if Mob animators started crossing over to stuff like Neverland just because they finished work on Mob so early
Mob might be two cour which would explain why they're so ahead. If it's two cour then Mob isn't really that ahead especially for the level of quality they're aiming for.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Now and Then, Here and There ep.4-6
I cannot remember the last time I got this progressively angy and uncomfortable watching a show. Fuck this king, his ideals, his methods and all of his people. Like seriously, fuck everything about it. From the rape impregation attempts of a little girl, to pillaging villages to steal women & children to everyone in that world. Shu is right these propke are all crazy and there is something seriously wrong with them.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
New BanG season is CG, huh? They did a pretty good job and the songs were good. I liked Roselia's "Louder".

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Bang Dream S2 1

I started this franchise by playing the game after good word of mouth. Not much of a rhythm player, but it's enjoyable enough. And the character work is surprisingly good. When I actually watched the first season it was weird. Not bad. I quite enjoyed it, but it was a big tonal shift from most of the game. Still, it covered an important part of Poppin' Party that the games skipped and characterized them well, so no regrets watching it.

The CG is certainly noticeable. I'm not critical of this stuff, so it was mostly fine, but some parts felt pretty off. Starting off with Pastel Palettes sure is a statement. All bands are getting some love this time. Except Pastel Palettes cause they don't actually fit anywhere into the plot. Admittedly the plot was just an excuse to get all the bands perform and show their stuff, but still. Not a lot actually happened, but there's a decent amount to unpack. Rinko's new seiyuu is easy to tell. And her becoming student council president is odd. Hina being student council president seems like a disaster in the making. Popipa is mostly the same as they left off, except more sad Rimi (who cares). Afterglow being present is nice, but Hello Happy World managed to make a great impression for what little screen-time they had. After Popipa, Roselia was the next most dominant band both in performance and overall presence. Certainly looks like those two will be the main bands for the season. With Circle being absent I'm almost inclined to believe Garupa Pico's destruction of it is actually canon. Anyway, enjoyable enough as a fan, but probably won't do anything who only came from the first season, and I don't actually know what they're going to be doing this time.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Can't find the exact tweet atm but at least one animator straight-up said that they were really far ahead
It honestly just depends if single or dual cour. Kill La Kill was pretty far in its production, like 8 episodes in, when the series started broadcasting. The production of the second half of the show was literal hell according to staffers. Multiple cours now is super hard to schedule properly and require an insane amount of lead in time. People don't really appreciate how long it sometimes takes to make a solitary episode.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Shield Hero ep.1
This was not what I thought at all and that became clear about halfway through this double episode. I thought is was going to be a story about the lovable loser MC, who is a hero, but damn did this go in a direction I didn't see coming. That first episode made me a believer that this show could offer something a little different from the standard Isekai and I'm really looking forward to more going forward!

I remember starting to read this LN when SAO first came out so it's been going on for a while and flips the premise on it's head when others hadn't done so yet. Was surprised at the double ep but it was good and seems to have been keeping to the LN. There's future scenes in this that will be interesting to whether they adapt it as is or change it

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Okada does it again (and in her debut as director!) with Maquia... a simple tale but one that very earnestly dwells on what rigor and identity mean to a mother, particularly when cast under a shadow of uncertainty and brutal circumstance. Also a great way to wet the carpet in a viewing with the lovely kids/matron..!!

With this and Wolf Children, all we need is one more to complete the triptych! ^^'

Waiting for the blu-ray come February, mayhaps to announce to the world its superlative tenderness..!!

Allaur

Oct 30, 2017
I want to Eat your Pancreas:
Its pretty hard to encapsulate everything this movie did right, but it was a great film to watch. Even if you think you know how everything will end, you really don't and the waters do get murkier the deeper you get into the movie and dig into the main pairs lives. This is not a cheesy romance story with a tragic ending as it sounds from the synopsis and it does have a lot of similar features to Your Lie in April, but this one almost feels more organic in it's approach with less melodrama and more focus on the human interaction and character development. Yes, there were tear jerking moments, but also heart warming moments and parts that make you reflect on how you would react/feel. In that regard, this movie did a great job being more human and less anime, which I could appreciate.

May I ask where you watched it? I'm still waiting for English release of this movie - may be I missed it - is it already up on some streaming service? Or was it some limited cinema run?

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Sirius the Jaegar 1-2

Good Lord the fight choreography is stunning. My jaw dropped during that "break off blade then kick it" scene near the end of the second ep.

Really digging this so far.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What have they done to saint seiya 😕, I understand the movement of trying to promote gender equality, but damn people should know that not everything has to fall into that. I bet if they made a good new saint seiya it will be enjoyed by everybody.
Are you talking about Netflix's 3D Seiya or Gonzo's Saintia Shou?

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
Bloom into You 1-11
I honestly fucking love this show. Last year was pretty strong as far as romance anime are concerned imo (and that's never traditionally been my scene to begin with) but this just blows all of them out of the water. So many of the best written characters of the year, the best relationship of the year. Its honestly refreshing to see an anime drama that has characters that can actually read a scene and pick up on context clues. I'm not sure that any entertainment product period has impacted me like this since the first Life is Strange and it's been god knows how long since an anime made hit me this hard in this way.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
It honestly just depends if single or dual cour. Kill La Kill was pretty far in its production, like 8 episodes in, when the series started broadcasting. The production of the second half of the show was literal hell according to staffers. Multiple cours now is super hard to schedule properly and require an insane amount of lead in time. People don't really appreciate how long it sometimes takes to make a solitary episode.

To be fair on that one, Trigger is kinda terrible when it comes to keeping productions on schedule

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Sorry if this is too random and I understand that trending topics are generally not worth a post but I was gladly surprised at seeing Nausicaä trending on Tweeter after all these years, I assume because it must be airing on TV in Japan.
I love everything about Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. Probably my favourite anime movie.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Boogiepop wa Warawanai episode 1-2

The person that decided that give this show an 1 hour special should get an award.
I mean if it only aired first episode like usual, i can see many people who new to this series won't give it a good review.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Boogiepop Never Laughs 1-2
S9h6uwc.jpg
Yeah, I'm really glad there were 2 episodes, because everything felt really confusing on episode 1. There seemed to be a lot of different plots going on simultaneously, but some stuff has already been made clear after episode 2, fortunately. The mystery is decently laid out and there is already quite a bit of foreshadowing I guess. I haven't watched the original yet, or read the novels, so I'm very perplexed of Boogiepop's role on this. And talking about Boogiepop, I really loved her smug personality, and Aoi Yuuki's voice acting was ace. Her "regular" self was basically Hibike from Symphogear though. lol

Animation wise, it felt weird, particularly episode 1. There were moments where the animation seemed clunky and slow, and even as a design choice, I'm not sure I liked it. I still hope it can deliver moments like the first PV, because that looked really, really impressive. I'm not particularly fond of the character designs either. Outside of Nagi and Boogiepop herself, maybe the glasses girl, I don't even remember the faces of anyone. I kept wondering on episode 1 if that guy was supposed to be important or not, because he looked like Student#05. Again, it might be a design choice, but I'm just not feeling it. Even the antagonist, which I guess is supposed to be a pretty boy, looks awful.

In any case, not a bad start. The music is what surprised me, as both the OP and the ED have some really cool songs. OP's visuals are very nice too.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I'm really glad there were 2 episodes, because everything felt really confusing on episode 1. There seemed to be a lot of different plots going on simultaneously, but some stuff has already been made clear after episode 2, fortunately. The mystery is decently laid out and there is already quite a bit of foreshadowing I guess. I haven't watched the original yet, or read the novels, so I'm very perplexed of Boogiepop's role on this. And talking about Boogiepop, I really loved her smug personality, and Aoi Yuuki's voice acting was ace. Her "regular" self was basically Hibike from Symphogear though. lol

Animation wise, it felt weird, particularly episode 1. There were moments where the animation seemed clunky and slow, and even as a design choice, I'm not sure I liked it. I still hope it can deliver moments like the first PV, because that looked really, really impressive. I'm not particularly fond of the character designs either. Outside of Nagi and Boogiepop herself, maybe the glasses girl, I don't even remember the faces of anyone. I kept wondering on episode 1 if that guy was supposed to be important or not, because he looked like Student#05. Again, it might be a design choice, but I'm just not feeling it. Even the antagonist, which I guess is supposed to be a pretty boy, looks awful.

In any case, not a bad start. The music is what surprised me, as both the OP and the ED have some really cool songs. OP's visuals are very nice too.

Sounds more like Boogiepop Phantom than I would have initially anticipated, which is good by me.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Boogiepop 1-2

Definitely the normie filter of the season. It's really nice to see a show set in high shool that isn't laden with your typical anime tropes.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Right. I've been out of touch so I'm making sure things haven't dramatically changed in this time.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Egao no Daika 01

Already off to a bad start. I don't really care about whats going on and the mech stuff is boring. I hope it will get better once the other girl is introduced.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Boogiepop and Others Episodes 1 and 2:

This is a series and a franchise I have certainly been aware of for quite a measure of time but this is actually my first dalliance into the material so I am not sure how it compares to the original series from 2000. I will say that this series might be worth keeping around just for the music for that is excellent, everything else, it is playing out alright but can't say I find anything particularly compelling thus far.

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017

I'm pretty sure the guy is just supposed to look Intensely Normal by design.

I mean, mild novel structure spoilers, but...
the original Boogiepop novel that this is adapting frames each chapter as from the perspective of a different character, covering sometimes overlapping, sometimes continuous, sometimes both, time periods. The first episode is a pretty straight adaptation of the first chapter of the novel, which is told entire from the perspective of the guy, Takeda Keiji. It's a little clearer in the book that this chapter actually spans starts before the main event, and ends after it - it's basically setting up elements of what Boogiepop is whilst teasing some elements of what's going on without giving much away.

On the other hand, the shows second episode pretty much blows though everything of import from the novels second and third chapters plus some stuff that I'm pretty sure is new, but entirely sensisble, connective tissue for the show. They're basically just over the halfway point for that first novel at this point.

Phantom, coincidentally for those who watched it, was an anime original series that spins pretty much immediately off the end of this. There's a bunch of missing context you're expected to be aware of already for that show that'll probably make it make way more sense once you've gotten to the end of this new show, honestly.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa

The Price of Smiles Episode 1:

Okay, there is potential in the idea here but the execution is very lacking and I can forsee this getting cast by the wayside very quickly.

ChairMan

Oct 25, 2017
Price of Smiles 01

Not very impressed with the start, but will honestly need to wait and see. Hopefully the other main character makes things more interesting. Can't really say I like the mech designs that much either.

Status
Not open for further replies.