Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Ending question, the physiatrist talks about how she wants to get to the lighthouse because "she" wants to get there and not whatever "she" would become. Then Kane says he THINKS he used to be a man named Kane, but he's no longer sure and his mind has been splintered. This is telling us that while the Lena that got out is the same as the one that got in, she was changed and mutated so much that she's no longer the Lena but just a splintered and mutated version of what she once was, right? Obviously it's not 1 to 1 but it's kinda like a Ship of Theseus type of deal, yeah? Or did the ending go completely over my head, that's also likely.

I wonder if Lena at the end was really the clone (who lied and killed the real Lena and set the lighthouse on fire). Or perhaps Lena's DNA had changed in the shimmer so much, she's no longer simply Lena anymore (hence the eyes at the end). Shame she was never once called Ghost Bird.

I'm of the belief that Kane on the outside is the clone, due to the video and his body failing (the shimmer hasnt perfected cloning human dna 100%), but that the Lena we see is the same we see throughout only mutated by the shimmer due to her time there. She doesn't have the light in her like the novel, the physciatrist seems to have that covered, but she has been changed

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, what was that line that the first lady that dies talks about? It's something like when her daughter died she also died, and the person she once was and now is are two different people. The theme of something reshaping you to the point that you are no longer you is present a lot in it.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else get Dark Souls/Bloodborne vibes from this film in parts?

I hesitate to say it was an influence because that seems quite unlikely, but some of the imagery was really quite similar.

Examples:
  • Both Annihilation and Dark Souls have parts where humans turn into trees, and the execution of this design was also really very similar
  • Both DS and Annihilation have areas where there are loads of blue crystals everywhere.
  • The bear's face in Annihilation was quite reminiscent of Ludwig from Bloodborne, and both beasts have human-like screams

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The line was after their sex scene, he was still in bed and talking how they have physically and mentally connections and her colleague was saying something like "and you can't talk about your job to him (don't knoe why) and he can't talk about his jobs/missions to her" and the time he spend away.

I'll have to rewatch and pay closer attention to the verb tense used in this scene :P Considering using a VPN to watch it on Netflix, haha.

Yeah, I also thought that the animal developed human vocal cords due to the merged dna and was just mimicing the sounds it heard for hunting. Like to attract the prey. No need to a more complex conciousness merge thing.

I don't even think it was a predator luring prey, honestly. I think it was just something the animal got stuck with. Using it to lure them out is a cool concept, but it requires a few hoops to jump through. I think the pure ???wtf'edness of it all is all we need. In my headcanon, them saying it had her consciousness or whatever was just their way of rationalizing it, rather than the objective truth.

What a disappointment...

So it opens with this intriguing premise and tags the audience along in a slow slow pace and at the end the explanation is a big nothing burger.
Also:
  • So this shimmer is probably the biggest discovery in humankind and they send in under equipped and untrained personal. That is so stupid and every time the unsuitable personal did something irrational it further reminded me how unrealistic and therefore stupid it is.
  • Also there is only this small facility outside the shimmer, with a fed up Psychologist with cancer in command? It makes no sense. There should of been a huge military and scientific presence and people in command with more enthusiasm and purpose.

I don't know if they specify in the movie, but at least in the book, they're like the 12th team to be sent in.

Every expedition prior has led to KIA/MIA or murder/suicide. I'm not really sure what else they're supposed to do, esp considering equipment doesn't seem to function (compass, radios) if it relies on a signal or transmission.

The groups before this were military, well-trained, etc., and they all met the same fate. I kinda got the feeling they were just ready to throw shit at a wall and see what sticks.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
That score though. I was thinking the score was ok.. but once the film gets weird, the score is amazing.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really fucking loved the movie.

Are all three books good? Will I like them if I liked the movie? This is making me want to get on amazon and order all 3 ASAP and the book that STALKER is based on.
That score though. I was thinking the score was ok.. but once the film gets weird, the score is amazing.
I loved the guitar parts, reminded me of Last of Us and I really liked how the score switches at the end once we get to see that thing.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I listen to that final song often. The second time we saw it, my girlfriend and I both squeezed each other's hands real hard once it kicks in, like FUCK HERE WE GOOOO

Fuck, what was that line that the first lady that dies talks about? It's something like when her daughter died she also died, and the person she once was and now is are two different people. The theme of something reshaping you to the point that you are no longer you is present a lot in it.

Yup. BorkBork posted an article about this.

I absolutely love the interpretation that focuses on identity/change. Whether it's through a traumatic event, a self-destructive decision (the affair), depression. Your identity is something that's constantly in flux. Sometimes you change before you realize it and wake up one day a different person, or someone you love goes through a change and feels like a completely different person.

I'm sure everyone here has had at least one experience in their life, for better or worse, that they can say changed them profoundly.

Oct 28, 2017
Did anyone else get Dark Souls/Bloodborne vibes from this film in parts?

I hesitate to say it was an influence because that seems quite unlikely, but some of the imagery was really quite similar.

Examples:
  • Both Annihilation and Dark Souls have parts where humans turn into trees, and the execution of this design was also really very similar
  • Both DS and Annihilation have areas where there are loads of blue crystals everywhere.
  • The bear's face in Annihilation was quite reminiscent of Ludwig from Bloodborne, and both beasts have human-like screams
I was actually thinking more Demons Souls at the end where the psychiatrist had no eyes (like they had been covered in wax) like the Maiden in Black.
maiden-in-black-large.jpg

VeFowx

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I may have mentioned it earlier, but if you are interesting in BTS stuff, check out the latest issue of the ASC magazine. They go over lens and camera choices (Area X was shot with an entire different camera system vs the domestic scenes), set design, and how they created the shimmer colors/flares optically, with lights and gels.

They also noted that the nightmare bear house is the same set as Lena/Kane's house, just decrepit and worn-down :O

EDIT: Oh shit, they actually have this article online: https://ascmag.com/articles/annihilation-expedition-unknown

Forgot they talk about the influence of Stalker too.

Last edited:

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017

Oh yeah, it's something like "I had two grievances, the loss of my beautiful daughter, and the person I used to be."

Reading this thread makes me want to watch it again already.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
They also noted that the nightmare bear house is the same set as Lena/Kane's house, just decrepit and worn-down :O
I knew it! This is initially why i thought the paramedic lost it on her, because i thought the house was recreated by the shimmer from Kane's mind.

His comment about the stars and the doorway and seeing her there... and the the two houses having stairs, paint colour, picture placement on the wall, etc all looking identical...
As such there may have been pictures of she and Kane there that the paramedic came across.

I was kinda sad she had just grabbed the locket. At least im not completely crazy

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew it! This is initially why i thought the paramedic lost it on her, because i thought the house was recreated by the shimmer from Kane's mind.

His comment about the stars and the doorway and seeing her there... and the the two houses having stairs, paint colour, picture placement on the wall, etc all looking identical...
As such there may have been pictures of she and Kane there that the paramedic came across.

I was kinda sad she had just grabbed the locket. At least im not completely crazy

A very small part of me wants to say that something like your idea explains how Kane knew. I don't think there's enough in place to support it, but I feel like there are 1-2 hints that Kane, almost supernaturally, knows what Lena did with her colleague. It could be her guilt, he could have found out off camera, but she is so certain that he knows, yet it seems impossible, that I kept thinking that there was something else there, some hint at some strange connection or Kane's ability to see or know it.

I honestly don't think it holds up necessarily, but it's kinda wild how this movie that feels very "I'm not sure what I just watched" has led to such interesting interpretations. For real, I'd place Annihilation over a lot of the good-great movies I saw in 2017.

Feb 10, 2018
I'll have to rewatch and pay closer attention to the verb tense used in this scene :P Considering using a VPN to watch it on Netflix, haha.

I don't even think it was a predator luring prey, honestly. I think it was just something the animal got stuck with. Using it to lure them out is a cool concept, but it requires a few hoops to jump through. I think the pure ???wtf'edness of it all is all we need. In my headcanon, them saying it had her consciousness or whatever was just their way of rationalizing it, rather than the objective truth.

I don't know if they specify in the movie, but at least in the book, they're like the 12th team to be sent in.

Every expedition prior has led to KIA/MIA or murder/suicide. I'm not really sure what else they're supposed to do, esp considering equipment doesn't seem to function (compass, radios) if it relies on a signal or transmission.

The groups before this were military, well-trained, etc., and they all met the same fate. I kinda got the feeling they were just ready to throw shit at a wall and see what sticks.

Even if it was like the 12th time, its unrealistic for it to be so sloppy.
Electronics and guns worked, why not send them in a electronic helicopter.
However that is more of a minor complaint.
My main problem is the mystery going on too long and the film did not feed the viewer bite size pieces of some explanation.
The ending did not answer much.
Its like, ok portman goes to the lighthouse, and her bf exploded himself but there was a copy of him, the lady with cancer says 'they want to reduce us down to our smallest parts' then she explodes in colours, then portman bleeds into a psychedelic window which forms into a mimic being..

And thats it, the audience is left with fuck all, just some unexplained randomness.

Take a movie like interstellar, at least that movie has a proper ending with a decent explanation.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And thats it, the audience is left with fuck all, just some unexplained randomness.

Take a movie like interstellar, at least that movie has a proper ending with a decent explanation.

It's good that you can see past the minutiae of how this thing would work. The movie is sloppy with that, but intentionally--it doesn't care about the kind of procedural detail that something like Arrival handled so well (which I loved). I honestly don't think it's important--at all--for us to understand why the military hasn't bombed it, why they haven't sent in fighter jets, etc.

Given how often Interstellar is routinely criticized for its expository sequences, I'm maybe thinking Annihilation isn't your kind of movie. And that's fine! I really enjoyed Interstellar. Makes me cry almost every time--but it feels deeply flawed to me. High highs, low lows, and many of those lows are the stilted dialogue. It actually has some of that in common with Annihilation, haha :P

As for feeling like the movie didn't give the audience anything, I do recommend you read these if you are interested:

http://www.vulture.com/2018/03/annihilation-movie-depression.html

Who am I without my trauma, my guilt, my sorrows? This question has haunted me in the last few months. As I think about Annihilation, I keep coming back to that ending — Lena being crushed by the physical embodiment of her self-destructive nature and depression, yet somehow escaping — at least a part of her has. I will never be the young girl I once was, unmarked and unbound to the rigors of depression and the glorious highs of mania. Maybe, like Lena, I can become someone, something else. Not as easy categorizable, but perhaps more whole.

https://vaguevisages.com/2018/02/26/review-alex-garlands-annihilation/

Under the umbrella of this psychological compulsion towards a suicide mission is where Annihilation sings, as Garland makes directorial master strokes of subtlety. What initially may be perceived as plodding, in terms of both storytelling and acting, becomes an acute understanding of the quiet trauma of suicidal depression and self destruction. The film starts incredibly slow, taking the time to fill empty rooms with an appropriate amount of angst, akin to Andrei Tarkovsky's affinity for driving sequences in Solaris. Ambitiously, Garland pushes past this base understanding of initial trauma to explore the milieu of transformation past this depression.

I won't lie, in that I felt similar to you when I left the theatre, except positive. I felt I had no idea what I had just watched, but I loved it. It's only in the weeks after (as well as a second rewatch) that I've been able to hone in on what I love.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the novel yesterday (loved it) and watched the movie today. I liked the adaptation. A good take on the theme of losing oneself. And for it to be a personal interpretation of the novel by Garland also fits some of the ideas that the first book covers.

It's also fantastic in the audiovisual department, especially in 4K.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
My main problem is the mystery going on too long and the film did not feed the viewer bite size pieces of some explanation.
Its like, ok portman goes to the lighthouse, and her bf exploded himself but there was a copy of him, the lady with cancer says 'they want to reduce us down to our smallest parts' then she explodes in colours, then portman bleeds into a psychedelic window which forms into a mimic being..

I mean if you dont understand that not getting answers is the point, you're not paying attention. Natalie Portman keeps being asked questions about the entity at the end and she responds with "I don't know, I don't know, I don't know, I don't know" the answers to those questions are not important to the story whatsoever, it's beyond our and the characters comprehension, it's better that way.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Also, there's more than enough there for the viewers to reach their own conclusions.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to look at the script and see how much of the last 15 minutes of dialogue is questions.

Was I you?
Were you me?
Are you Kane?
Are you my wife?

Plus whatever else Benedict Wong asks, of course.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it was like the 12th time, its unrealistic for it to be so sloppy.
Electronics and guns worked, why not send them in a electronic helicopter.
However that is more of a minor complaint.

I have to say I thought the movie was pretty overt in telling and implying what's happening and going on in the film so I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. The film really isn't all that subtle about what's going on and while there is no definitive answer from someone in the "know" its all laid out there by the film. Even without an over encompassing explanation of what's going on I think its rather easy to put the pieces together. That and of course not having everything explained hardly makes a movie lesser, many are greater for the mystery inherent in them and its not even all that important to get all the answers in many cases as that sometimes has little to do with the themes, characters, etc. No one thinks lesser of Children of Men because we don't know why people can't have kids anymore.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone here even had a fun idea that the entire thing was a metaphor for Lena and aspects of her personality as members of the team. I particularly liked Kane cutting open his buddy's stomach=him finding out about the affair (something ugly under the surface).

There's more than enough in this movie to chew on.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I assumed there were testing different variables to see if it impacted the results (people coming back). They previously had (I assume all male) soldiers go in, there were all female (mostly all) scientists this time. But I can't be certain.
That's exactly it in the book. The movie stripped out all of the scientific rigor from the expeditions though.

Feb 10, 2018
I mean if you dont understand that not getting answers is the point, you're not paying attention. Natalie Portman keeps being asked questions about the entity at the end and she responds with "I don't know, I don't know, I don't know, I don't know" the answers to those questions are not important to the story whatsoever, it's beyond our and the characters comprehension, it's better that way.

It did occur to me that this alien visit is somthing beyond our comprehension, that other life forms may be so different we cant grasp what they are or there intentions.
But that concept is still not fleshed out enough to warrant praise.

Its like "aliens visit , but there so different anything about them cant be portrayed"

Ok....great...

I think it would of worked better if there was somthing more..

Aliens visiting earth that are so different from us that we cant understand,learn or comunicate with them is a poor story.

At least the movie Arrival which had a similar premise had a more fleshed out story.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Aliens visiting earth that are so different from us that we cant understand,learn or comunicate them is a poor story.
...Uhhh, tell that to H.P Lovecraft.

Really lazy criticism though, you might as well be saying "if the story isn't spoon fed to the audience, it's not a good story"
The mystery of Annihilation loses it's appeal once you start stepping in and explaining things for the audience. The unknown isn't remarkable when it's known.

Feb 10, 2018
...Uhhh, tell that to H.P Lovecraft.

Really lazy criticism though, you might as well be saying "if the story isn't spoon fed to the audience, it's not a good story"
The mystery of Annihilation loses it's appeal once you start stepping in and explaining things for the audience. The unknown isn't remarkable when it's known.
I have not read any H.P lovecraft stuff,so I would not know.
No im not saying that at all. I found the conclusion lacking anything interesting or thought provoking, After all the things the movie set up in the first 1hr30mins.

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
Everything was amazing, I love being left with so many questions and so, sooo little answers.

I love the movie.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
If anything I wish Annihilation was actually more vague and tight with its mystery and cosmic horror. A lot of the dialogue felt like exposition dumps more for the audiences benefit than the characters in the film. The film went out its way to explain things even if it didn't fill in every aspect.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to look at the script and see how much of the last 15 minutes of dialogue is questions.

Was I you?
Were you me?
Are you Kane?
Are you my wife?

Plus whatever else Benedict Wong asks, of course.

That's interesting. When I came out of the theater I felt like too much was explained, but you're right that as the movie goes on the dialog does turn from explanations to questions.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
How did the husband get home at the beginning of the movie? Maybe I missed it but how did he make it from a military base to wherever his wife lived without the government catching him?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It did occur to me that this alien visit is somthing beyond our comprehension, that other life forms may be so different we cant grasp what they are or there intentions.
But that concept is still not fleshed out enough to warrant praise.

Its like "aliens visit , but there so different anything about them cant be portrayed"

Ok....great...

I think it would of worked better if there was somthing more..

Aliens visiting earth that are so different from us that we cant understand,learn or comunicate with them is a poor story.

At least the movie Arrival which had a similar premise had a more fleshed out story.

Except that's more likely how it would be... and the story was surrounding the event, the aliens lacking communication didn't compromise that at all.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's interesting. When I came out of the theater I felt like too much was explained, but you're right that as the movie goes on the dialog does turn from explanations to questions.

Oh, the dialogue is super clunky and just straight bad at times for the first half of the movie. BUT, I feel like nightmare bear is when the heels get dug in and the movie elevates itself and becomes, or at least feels, fully confident in itself. Even the dialogue improves. I love how "If you tie me to a chair and cut me open, will my insides move like my fingerprints?" is almost lyrical (I know I didn't get the quote exactly right) in a way.

How did the husband get home at the beginning of the movie? Maybe I missed it but how did he make it from a military base to wherever his wife lived without the government catching him?

They don't explain it, which (again) I love. Gabbo mentioned how, with the abandoned how being the actual same set as Lena/Kane's house, maybe that was some key to how he got there, although it could be purely a thematic touch. Part of the movie is concerned with duplicates that aren't quite the same (the way cells are "cloned" but become their own things, the same way some cells she observed had different characteristics, the same way the alien mimic was almost an exact copy of her but not quite, etc), I have to wonder if their house being there has some fun in-canon explanation or if it's just a nice piece of parallelism.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, the dialogue is super clunky and just straight bad at times for the first half of the movie. BUT, I feel like nightmare bear is when the heels get dug in and the movie elevates itself and becomes, or at least feels, fully confident in itself. Even the dialogue improves. I love how "If you tie me to a chair and cut me open, will my insides move like my fingerprints?" is almost lyrical (I know I didn't get the quote exactly right) in a way.

Eh I felt Ventriss had some terrible line readings of some incredibly ham fisted dialogue inside the light house. People burst out laughing in my theater when she let out that,"ANNNNNHILATION!"

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I felt Ventriss had some terrible line readings of some incredibly ham fisted dialogue inside the light house. People burst out laughing in my theater when she let out that,"ANNNNNHILATION!"

I thought that part was perfectly played, actually.

That does not negate the fact that myself and others were unsatisfied with the story and conclusion of the movie.

Sure, but this idea that a story about aliens who can't communicate is a poor story by default is just nonsense.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I thought it was good since her character way getting torn apart mentally.

The only person I felt had a bit weird of line reading was Gina Rodriguez, she had this one line the felt really off when they're in the house. She was fine for the rest of the movie, though.

Oct 25, 2017
I was mostly absorbed while watching it, but the more I sat and thought about it the more frustrated I got. Some things felt very obvious and others just obtuse, and any sort of thematic cohesion I have for the movie ultimately gets upended by something that just doesn't fit with what I enjoyed and processed about it. Portman is not one of my favorite actresses, and I would have liked to see someone else in her part, and I didn't really like the framing of the interviews between the segments. It's been a couple of days now, and maybe I should start reading critiques about the movie and see how it meshes with my thoughts.

Also, as a funny aside, I had to ask some random person in the theater on the way out about the ending because I'm colorblind and couldn't quite tell if what I was seeing was actually happening or just me imaging it because colors are hard for me to see at times.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

The dialogue in general was rather clunky and the acting outside Portman and Isaacs often felt especially stiff and awkward but that scene in the hole in the lighthouse felt especially bad. I mean the whole "Annnhilation" line just felt forced in there in general like it was something along the lines,"Are we really the last of us?"

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That scene actually completely worked for me, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't hear murmurs (at least) during that moment. At the same time, it's one of those scenes that makes you think "If the movie wasn't titled *Annihilation*, would the reaction have been different?"

JJL's performance worked for me. Natalie Portman was a little more stiff, to be perfectly honestly, but was also very effective in a lot of scenes, especially the end.

Sure, but this idea that a story about aliens who can't communicate is a poor story by default is just nonsense.

The Last Picture Show, in their Annihilation/Stalker pairing, joked about how horrible Stalker's CinemaScore would be. The entire point of the plot is reaching a room that grants wishes, and they don't even have the guts to go into it at the end! How unsatisfying.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The dialogue in general was rather clunky and the acting outside Portman and Isaacs often felt especially stiff and awkward but that scene in the hole in the lighthouse felt especially bad. I mean the whole "Annnhilation" line just felt forced in there in general like it was something along the lines,"Are we really the last of us?"

Didn't feel anything like that to me. The scene had a real scene of dread and horror to it, like some inescapable cosmic force bearing down on them.

Really effective, the dialogue was great as was the performance.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't feel anything like that to me. The scene had a real scene of dread and horror to it, like some inescapable cosmic force bearing down on them.

Really effective, the dialogue was great as was the performance.

We'll have to agree to disagree as that entire ending sequence did little to nothing for me especially her acting and lines in that hole in the lighthouse. Then again I thought the entire ending sequence was a dud.