• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It was okay. The ending is great and the bear scene but the pacing was off and scenes sometimes jump. Like the first time the bear takes one of the women it was so awkard in the shot. Also the premise that these women who are scientists know guns so well is crazy to me.

They didn't know guns so well aside from Lena who served in the military for 7 years. The rest would obviously have had basic combat training before being sent in, but only Lena showed real proficiency.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
It was okay. The ending is great and the bear scene but the pacing was off and scenes sometimes jump. Like the first time the bear takes one of the women it was so awkard in the shot. Also the premise that these women who are scientists know guns so well is crazy to me.
Why did you think Southern Reach wouldn't train non-military volunteers for the expedition?

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
Holy shit, this movie. I didn't feel Ex Machina that much, in fact I think it's sort of overrated, so I wasn't riding on the Alex Garland hype train. But I'm blown away by this. Yeah, there are some faults with the dialogue and I though some acting could've been better, but this movie GOES PLACES. The story is really evocative of Lovecraft and definitely taking some cues from Stalker, but it also has an emotional center with Lena being flawed and vulnerable, but also capable and smart within the story. The imagery is amazing, capturing the eerie Shimmer with wonder and uneasiness at the same time. Not to mention the creatures that inhabit it. And the music is a standout, going all out by the end.

This is one of my favorite Sci-Fi movies of the decade, easily top 5. I hope this streak of at least one masterful Sci-Fi movie a year continues, with this one taking that spot so far (last year being Blade Runner 2049, maybe the best sequel ever, and the year before that, Arrival).

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Why did you think Southern Reach wouldn't train non-military volunteers for the expedition?

Possibly but the short period of time we see them to now. I guess I feel they should of talked about it. Also the world while pretty felt dead to me. You get some of the creatures that have been affected but I feel it didn't show nearly enough.

JaMarco

Jan 14, 2018
Can someone explain to me how the bear was absorbing people's voices? Why was it actively trying to rip out vocal chords?

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me how the bear was absorbing people's voices? Why was it actively trying to rip out vocal chords?
I think it has more to do with the bear absorbing part of the woman's DNA (while she was dying), hence the pleas for help.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely loved this movie. I tried going in as blind as possible given it was going to be on Netflix anyway, all I knew there was Natalie Portman and others going into jungle and finding some weird shit, and I saw a glimpse in an ad of some kind of "purple wall". Besides that I only knew the early reception was good, so I figured I'd watch it the day it comes out, was really curious. Well, I was not disappointed in the slightest.

First of all, let's talk visuals. I've seen a fair amount of sci-fi and/or artistic movies in my life, but I don't think I've ever seen some of the styles, ideas, concepts this movie pulled off. Scene after scene I was in awe: the way the rainbow colours were refracted and gave everything a surreal halucination feel, the way the flowers and other plants evolved, the bear scene, all the area surrounding the lighthouse, the dude in the pool. From a visual standpoint, everything was top-notch, and while CGI wasn't always the best, the scenes that relied on static pieces like the plants worked incredibly well. A bit of suspension of disbelief is probably required all around, because it's unlikely that sudden genetic mix-ups would look so "beautiful" and clean, but of course you're making a movie, not an exposé on what Chernobyl radiations do to your body.

I also really enjoyed the movie's themes. Nothing was overly dramatized or explained, and I think that worked. I have not read the book, but from looking at the thread I see that in it the characters weren't named. I just don't think this would have translated particularly well into movie form: imagine one of them going missing and shouting "BIOLOGIIIIST" or "PSYCHOLOGIIIIST" to find her. Either way, very little background was given to any of them besides the names, so it all felt very mysterious still, and the fact they knew so little about each other was enough to doubt of each other's motives and identity when shit went down. Again, I've not read the book, but I feel that they've done a good job with this.

I also loved all the fairly little touches all around. The tattoo was very visibile of course, but there were the bruises also, and I enjoyed how the theme of self-destruction was handled. Maybe the whole "we drink, we smoke" line was a bit too on the nose and too literal when describing what self-destruction is, I prefer to view the movie as something of an internal self-destruction, not a physical one. Surely the movie and its themes took a bit to get real, but once it started going down, the movie was insanely gripping, the second half felt a lot shorter than the first one because I was in awe for most of the time. The ending, while slightly cliché, gives enough material to work in case they want to go for a sequel, albeit I'm reading that may not be a priority, plus I doubt the magic would work another time - but who knows?

Overall, this was a great movie, one I'm definitely going to rewatch in the future. While I enjoyed The Cloverfield Paradox to name another recent sci-fi flick, I felt they went too standard with the whole dimension mixing and shit. Here they went for a similar concept, different things merging into each other, but its realization was far more inventive and visionary, and the whole movie's visual identity is extremely unique. I expected some deep sci-fi shit thrown onto a Predator movie basically, what I got was far more interesting and thought-provoking, memorable and visually mesmerizing. Awesome movie.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
You know what sucks? This movie is the perfect example of how to make a movie with all female leads and doing it with taste, without screaming "LOOK AT ALL THOSE FEMALES". Is it because it's not AAA huge blockbuster that there are not as many articles praising the cast? You have to be Marvel or Sony blockbuster to get media attention? That's silly.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
I watched this yesterday and there was something special in the style and atmosphere this movie was shot in that grabbed from the get-go.

Natalie Portman truly is one wonderful actrice. I feel like she gets underappreciated and she definitely deserves more roles. S
he is also definitely the leading actress. Everyone else is good/decent, but she really has a presence on the screen, especially in emotional scenes.

I somehow couldn't help but shake the feeling that I was sometimes watching a movie based on The Last of Us. Those spores, and the military dude stuck on the wall in that swimming pool...

I could probably say a whole lot more about this movie but seeing how others can portray my feelings better I can say just one thing. Go watch this, NOW.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
It's also why I find the clone debates to be missing the point a bit. It's not a matter of whether or not they're clones, or what a clone even is. So much as there they are, and they don't feel like themselves, but kind of are. The shimmer changed them and blurred the lines between their definition, which is something they as individuals must confront, and us as viewers too.

Well put. In my opinion, all great sci-fi is about a very human story (or a very human problem). The "sci fi" aspects are there to create a (sometimes literally) other-worldly scenario that puts characters through certain experiences. With Annihilation, I think it's safe to say that "identity" and self-destruction (in various forms) are big themes.

I really liked it, but I'm a big fan of movies that raise more questions than answers.

Jof

Nov 3, 2017
One thing I haven't seen discussed much is the house they spend the night in, in the Shimmer. The one where the bear attacks.

It looked almost exactly the same as Portman's house outside the shimmer. Right down to the layout of the hallway/stairway, with the picture frame on the wall. In fact, Portman stops and focuses on the picture for a moment as they enter, like she's aware of this. Thinking about it more, (fake) Kane does the exact same thing when he turns up at the real house at the beginning of the film.

What's the deal with that?

EDIT: I just checked the two scenes again, and apart from the number of picture frames on the wall, they're the exact same.

Oct 26, 2017
I still don't get why Kane 2.0 suddenly got better after the shimmer self-destructed, or even what was causing his illness in the first place.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, that was a bit of a let down, I am not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that, very dissapointing, at the end I was like, WTF was that all about.

And I could have really done without the avant garde art house dance towards the end.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
One thing I haven't seen discussed much is the house they spend the night in, in the Shimmer. The one where the bear attacks.

It looked almost exactly the same as Portman's house outside the shimmer. Right down to the layout of the hallway/stairway, with the picture frame on the wall. In fact, Portman stops and focuses on the picture for a moment as they enter, like she's aware of this. Thinking about it more, (fake) Kane does the exact same thing when he turns up at the real house at the beginning of the film.

EDIT: I just checked the two scenes again, and apart from the number of picture frames on the wall, they're the exact same.

It's the same house/set.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It'd be interesting if Portman's character's memories were somehow compromised by the Shimmer too. I don't think that's the case in the film necessarily but I think they could have certainly gone in a direction where there was a psychological blending besides just a physical one. I think it would have made the segments outside the Shimmer fit in better with the rest of the film.

I don't know what the explanation for that is, otherwise.

Jof

Nov 3, 2017
It's the same house/set.

I know Annihilation probably didn't have the biggest budget ever, but I doubt they used the same set in these two scenes simply to save money. In a movie where every little detail is being analysed, there's got to be some reason why they're the same.

It'd be interesting if Portman's character's memories were somehow compromised by the Shimmer too. I don't think that's the case in the film necessarily but I think they could have certainly gone in a direction where there was a psychological blending besides just a physical one. I think it would have made the segments outside the Shimmer fit in better with the rest of the film.

I don't know what the explanation for that is, otherwise.

Yeah. Even if the Shimmer somehow had access to their memories, it don't think it recreates structures like buildings. I had though that maybe it had been based on Kane's memories when he was in the Shimmer, but I don't see how the Shimmer would have made something like that.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So women scientists are not allowed to k ow how to shoot now? For one, only Portman's character knew how to shoot well, it was even brought up in the boat scene. Second, the other's were there for a long time. I think, considering thus is a military operation, they received some training.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Thought this was fantastic, even though Jason-Leigh phoned it in. When the score really starts kicking in towards the end was fantastic!

I haven't read the books, but is there scope for sequels? It kind of seems like it would be better if there was only this film.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Watched this on Netflix tonight, that bear was some Book of the New Sun Alzabo shit. Haunting. Wonder if Garland did it as a nod to Gene Wolfe.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I know Annihilation probably didn't have the biggest budget ever, but I doubt they used the same set in these two scenes simply to save money. In a movie where every little detail is being analysed, there's got to be some reason why they're the same.

Yeah, this was posted a few pages back:

oj65frvaofl01.png

You can actually see a few changes here, very minor. Like the staircase handle base is different and there are two light switches in the Shimmer version vs the one in the real house. Pretty curious, I've seen some people mention it but haven't read any theories. My first thought was that part of Oscar Isaac's consciousness was refracted into the world in the form of his house, but not sure what to make of it beyond that.

I thought this was going to be how Portman was found to be the wife of Isaac, and while it did happen in this location, it was through other means.

Last edited:

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Ah! Thanks for the link :) Good to see confirmation. I'm not sure if the quote is implying that the Shimmer did in fact construct the house? Still not sure what to make of it.

To be fair, I think Lena is an unrealiable narrator. So it could very well be that because of everything going on, it looked like her own house from her perspective. Also, Ventress mentions that The Shimmer induces dementia-like symptoms.

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Watched it yesterday, I'm a big fan of the book and thought the movie was a very good, albeit an extremely different take on the novel, other than the set-up and the premise. I had chills during the bear scene. My only major complaint is how incompetent the Southern Reach was made to look in the movie.

Mistle

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
A+++

Would write more but gotta process it. I live for movies like this

I miss some of a really weird stuff from the book but then I realise the movie just had it's own weird stuff to replace it haha. And it totally worked. Pretty much two completely different stories told with a similar premise.

I enjoyed the whole trilogy (well, I'm into the third now) and Annihilation is the clear stand out. And totally stands on its own, as does the movie. Authority had fantastic moments but also a lot of downtime. I missed the thick atmosphere and style of the first book so much. I was hooked by the tail end of it though where that atmosphere crept back in oh so well. Still reading Acceptance but it's promising so far, can't comment yet.

But yeah, superb reimagining of the first book. Couldn't think of anyone better to do it than Garland. I pray that some indie cinema here will give it a screening one day, I need to see this at a cinema somehow!

I also pray that more movies like this get made! I'm sure I'm overly pessimistic but everytime I watch a movie like this it feels like the last time, haha.

Deleted member 28474

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Watched it yesterday, I'm a big fan of the book and thought the movie was a very good, albeit an extremely different take on the novel, other than the set-up and the premise. I had chills during the bear scene. My only major complaint is how incompetent the Southern Reach was made to look in the movie.

This is generally how I feel too. I really enjoyed it despite a few quirks or flaws here and there and would still really recommend it.

I thought the climax toward the end of the film was wonderful and the sound design was great.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Finally got to watch this on Netflix last night. Really really enjoyed it. though I did expect to love it a bit more based on the previews and hype. That said, the movie has been on my mind the entire day, so maybe my appreciation for it may grow in time and on repeat viewings. I'm now thinking about getting the book, especially knowing that it's significantly different from the movie.

Oct 28, 2017
As a huge fan of the books, HUGE, i was compelely blown away by Garland's vision. This movie completely shattered my expectations, and I can't wait to revisit it. When that Moderat track kicked at the bottom of the lighthouse......CHILLS.

Deleted member 28474

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if we will get some more of this New Weird fiction turned into film. Mieville or Bacigalupi could be a bit of a challenge!

MarkMcLovin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thought the movie was great. Amazing visuals.

Not sure about the ending though. I'll just take it that he's the clone, she different, they both join up and will wreck shit on earth.

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
posted in the movie thread but I loved the shit out of this. 9/10

I just wish I saw it in the theatre. I don't get why so many reviews say this is challenging when its thought provoking good scifi done well. Loved the third act and the finale. I'm learning now that this is a 3 part book and I want to read them now.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
As a huge fan of the books, HUGE, i was compelely blown away by Garland's vision. This movie completely shattered my expectations, and I can't wait to revisit it. When that Moderat track kicked at the bottom of the lighthouse......CHILLS.
As a fan of the books and the movie, would you say the books are worth it after having seen the film? Which of the two did you end up liking more, the movie or the books?

Ooh and yes, that Moderat music in the final act was sooo damn good.

Oct 28, 2017
As a fan of the books and the movie, would you say the books are worth it after having seen the film? Which of the two did you end up liking more, the movie or the books?

I can wholeheartedly recommend the books if you enjoyed the movie. The movie explores the same themes but deviates pretty wildly from the story told in the books, so there is a lot of new material to explore and mull over as you read through. Vandermeer has very....sensory way of writing so you will get the same sense of richness of Area X as it was depicted in the movie. Whether or not you will want to dive into to the books that explore beyond the movie is up to you. The second and third book differ pretty wildly and a lot of people who enjoyed book one were turned off by 2 and 3. I am not one of those people.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
While impressions vary on the use of earthly guitar music in the first half or two-thirds of the movie, I think it elegantly lays the foundation for the awe and alien finale to come when the tone changes completely.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
This movie was fucking great and it's a damn shame it hasn't done well and I had to watch it on Netflix rather than being able to see it in the Cinema.

Just makes me really sad when movies like this, Blade Runner 2049, etc. don't perform despite being infinitely more interesting and well made than the stuff that brings in the $$$$$$$

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
This movie was fucking great and it's a damn shame it hasn't done well and I had to watch it on Netflix rather than being able to see it in the Cinema.

Just makes me really sad when movies like this, Blade Runner 2049, etc. don't perform despite being infinitely more interesting and well made than the stuff that brings in the $$$$$$$
It's definitely a damn shame, but the majority of movie goers just wants 1.5 - 3 hours of simple and inoffensive entertainment. They don't want to be challenged or to have to think/participate during their movie going experience. I on the other hand would gladly trade 5 designed by committee Marvel / Disney films for one Blade Runner 2049 / Annihilation / Arrival.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the movie a lot but watching it made me want to reread the books and upon doing so... man, the books are a lot more satisfying. I think the characters are a lot more interesting in the book, and in particular I thought the script made the Biologist's character a lot more 'generic successful scientist' in the movie. One of the best things about the book is slowly exploring her life and her thoughts and why things maybe haven't gone great for her even outside the events taking place in the book.

Also,

I thought the movie suffered from omitting the hypnosis plotline. It adds an extra freaky layer to the story and makes the psychologist dangerous instead of just baffling.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Add me to the movie was "ok" camp. Kept me interested for a few parts, visually it was great, thought the directing was great. I too was thrown off why all of a sudden they had guns, then I remembered her military training. They could have explained people going crazy more. Ending was pretty good though, the camera scene in the lighthouse was awesome.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I knew I was going to love this movie when the guy questioning Lera asks, "then what do you know", that guitar song starts and then it cuts to the meteor. That was a great edit.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Liking the movie even more thinking about it post viewing. That's how it should be. Same goes for the novel for me, actually.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I somehow did not know this was coming to Netflix and lost my shit when I saw it on there. Holy shit was that great. The encounter with the being was one of the most tense scenes I've seen a film. I was holding my breath the whole time.

zeitheist

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I enjoyed it but some things don't make sense to me:
  1. Why didn't they just move along the beach to get to the light house? They could even have used a car or bikes that way.
  2. We could see the moon from inside and its image wasn't fractured or anything. Why couldn't satellites check out what's happening or even use laser communication?
  3. Why didn't the army nuke the light house area after years of failure? What might have happened if they did?
  4. What was the meaning of the skeletons lined up in front of the light house? How did this happen and why?
  5. Why can't they remember the first days? Possible side effects from the strong electromagnetism? Or some influence from unknown alien technology?

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I enjoyed it but some things don't make sense to me:
  1. Why didn't they just move along the beach to get to the light house? They could even have used a car or bikes that way.
Yeah I wonder if the books do have an explanation for this. Seems to me you could just get a boat close in the water close to the lighthouse and take a small lifeboat to the shore from there. In general the team seemed ill-equipped. Given that a lot of the mutations inside the Shimmer looked spore-like you'd think they'd use some kind of respiratory protection in order to prevent any airborne contagion.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I wonder if the books do have an explanation for this. Seems to me you could just get a boat close in the water close to the lighthouse and take a small lifeboat to the shore from there.
In the novel they're just doing research in Area X. The lighthouse comes into play, but reaching it isn't their main objective or anything. It's just another section they're supposed to eventually go to and collect samples, etc.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I wonder if the books do have an explanation for this. Seems to me you could just get a boat close in the water close to the lighthouse and take a small lifeboat to the shore from there.
1. In the books there is only one tiny point in the barrier where you can cross safely. Try to cross anywhere else and you're never seen again.
5. In the books this is due to the expedition members being hypnotized as it's the only way to cross safely.