• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I'm loving the colourful, charming playfulness. I had to absolutely save up for the Cult of the Lamb outfit. And using the Dark Souls tropes to talk about pollution of the sea is pretty inspired.

The big issue is that the performance is really quite bad on PS5. I've gotten to the Expired Grove and the resolution is constantly dipping to a pixellated mess whenever there's more than a couple characters on screen.

Last edited:

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
The game is cute and I'm enjoying the pun-heavy humor but I don't feel like they nailed the controls here. The roll and some of the hit detection feels a bit off compared to other souls-esque games I've played. The block also seems useless so far, but I've only played an hour or two.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Handheld Switch is so rough. Literally getting headaches from framerate.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Digging it so far, though I think the game is missing some more ambient music to really nail the vibe. I like the music when it does play but the soundscape just feels a bit empty when it goes quiet for me.

The game is cute and I'm enjoying the pun-heavy humor but I don't feel like they nailed the controls here. The roll and some of the hit detection feels a bit off compared to other souls-esque games I've played. The block also seems useless so far, but I've only played an hour or two.

Block is extremely powerful.

I felt this way at first but minor spoilers you unlock a skill tree that really opens up the combat and defensive opportunities and it starts picking up real quick.

I'd encourage you to mainline the main story a bit before exploring.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no
It's doing the Skyward Sword thing of reminding you what items are after loading a save (well more likely closing the game but still) actually seems to be after selling all stocks of an item

Also let's face it guys, combat sucks

Last edited:

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
Combat is fine, enemy placements/density + small areas, that sucks.

Also, I would've thought you get new weapons quickly, probably not before the city?

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Combat is fine, enemy placements/density + small areas, that sucks.

Also, I would've thought you get new weapons quickly, probably not before the city?
And the floaty (for lack of a better word) camera
And the overall movement
And enemies going to places you can't reach (btw unlock the Spear asap)
And shitty hitboxes
And the overreliance on poison when you get too close to a boss
Still liking it, but there's a lot of stuff to adjust

Like I said earlier, it feels like a N64 game with the good and the bad that entails. Also probably their first 3D game

And I don't think you get new weapons at all, since the upgrade shop in the city directly mention your weapon. You probably just upgrade its stats and that's it, since the shells can kinda be considered weapons you'd find in another game

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
And I don't think you get new weapons at all, since the upgrade shop in the city directly mention your weapon. You probably just upgrade its stats and that's it, since the shells can kinda be considered weapons you'd find in another game
That's a HUGE bummer. The best part of these games are the different builds, and here you are stuck with your fork for the whole game? :(

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
That's a HUGE bummer. The best part of these games are the different builds, and here you are stuck with your fork for the whole game? :(
That was my first reaction too, but it's kinda fair with the focus on the shells, no?
That and the Adaptations (don't know how many of those there are) and Stowaways (and the skill tree) also fill the role of builds imo

OP
OP
doops.

doops.

Jun 3, 2020

From the Access-Ability review:

In Another Crab's Treasure, players only have one option of melee weapon, a small two pronged fork. While you can upgrade that fork's stats, and gain new abilities to augment your melee moveset, at its core your melee weapon can be used for a regular attack, or a held heavy attack. You can't change this primary weapon directly, but you can augment your moveset via temporary secondary attacks, and temporary modifiers to your melee toolset.
The offensive use of shells however doesn't end there, with shells also able to be attached to the end of your fork as an optional upgrade, turning your basic melee weapon in essence from a sword into a warhammer. While this doesn't retain the magical secondary attack ability of the shell, it does change the damage output and swing timing of your melee attacks somewhat.

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
That was my first reaction too, but it's kinda fair with the focus on the shells, no?
That and the Adaptations (don't know how many of those there are) and Stowaways (and the skill tree) also fill the role of builds imo
Not sure they do for me, to be honest. Weapons are the main way to deal damage after all, so that you never significantly change the look and moveset is a huge turnoff for me. Especially because shells break and you can't really always choose which one to use.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017

Second quote is more an optional attack that is fun to use, though.
Lots of useful things to unlock in the skill tree that would probably have been baseline elsewhere, but perosnally I'm ok with it since I like finding crystals and mini bosses.
Some really walk the line between optional and mandatory lmao

Not sure they do for me, to be honest. Weapons are the main way to deal damage after all, so that you never significantly change the look and moveset is a huge turnoff for me. Especially because shells break and you can't really always choose which one to use.
It's the BoTW breakable weapons all over again !
That said upgrading Res will make them break less often and in the city you can buys shells and insure some shells (edit : to respawn with an insured shell ) but I understand the feeling

Last edited:

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Okay, getting to Magistra (sp?) and I think I'll just get this on Steam. It's too rough on switch and just had a softlock where I ended up inside the boss and couldn't even pause to die instantly so had to close the app entirely LOL

OP
OP
doops.

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
Me, reading that ATC is on the easier side of Soulslikes, as Pagurus kicks my ass 20 times in a row...

nervous-laugh-sora.gif

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I love that the game doesn't pile everything on you at once. You slowly learn more and more as you play. The combat feels great to me. Kril is actually one of the faster attackers in this game. It feels so good to smack things with your fork.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
The thing I'm really missing in this game is a parry/counter attack... Maybe I just haven't learned it yet.. Not really a fan of just rolling to avoid all the attacks.

Metro Cow

Nov 28, 2020
Is it me or is anyone else getting thrown by the controller vibration in fights (I'm playing on Xbox)?

For me force feedback is a really useful tool in Souls games to let you know if you've been hit, but sometimes it will vibrate even harder when the enemy misses you and hits the ground. I then think I've been hit so I react differently. It's really throwing me off. Maybe I'll have to turn it off.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no
It's doing the Skyward Sword thing of reminding you what items are after loading a save (well more likely closing the game but still) actually seems to be after selling all stocks of an item

Also let's face it guys, combat sucks

Ehh, I wouldn't say that. At least, I'm enjoying it well enough even if it isn't perfect.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
You guys using any assists or nah? I'm tempted just to put on the no lose souls on death one.

Also I find it funny that the crab game has sprint on B, forcing me to use the "claw" grip..you know..like a crab

ced

Oct 27, 2017
You guys using any assists or nah? I'm tempted just to put on the no lose souls on death one.

Also I find it funny that the crab game has sprint on B, forcing me to use the "claw" grip..you know..like a crab
I turned that one on, to me it's never offered anything positive in any game it's featured in besides my first play through of Demon's Souls.

There's an option to sprint with LS.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, whoops. Guess I sequence broke a little.

Decided to take down Pagurus after getting the first map piece, just to learn they had the third piece.

dav

Oct 27, 2017
Should I get this on PS5 or Switch? I'd prefer to play portable but it sounds like the Switch version has some performance issues

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know what *The Cubes* do or how to unlock them? Or the...electric sign...things?
Me, reading that ATC is on the easier side of Soulslikes, as Pagurus kicks my ass 20 times in a row...

Hahahhaha that guy was such a fucker, refused to leave the area until I beat him.

Happy for the studio Going Under was great but Another Crabs Treasure is 100% made for me, excited to see what the studio makes in the future with the game supposedly doing well for them.

Last edited:

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
I'm really trying to like this game but.

I beat that first annoyingly tough boss and now I'm directed to go west. There's nothing to the west. And the map doesn't help.

The game is oddly quiet. And it randomly repeats the same song. I don't know. Games are gamepass are too easy to give up on. If I'd paid for this I'd keep going but as it is, not sure.

Also, what is the yellow bar under the enemy's health bar that slowly fills up as you do damage? Not explained. Maybe that first boss would have been easier if it explained what that yellow bar means.

Mar 19, 2021

I beat that first annoyingly tough boss and now I'm directed to go west. There's nothing to the west. And the map doesn't help.

The game is oddly quiet. And it randomly repeats the same song. I don't know. Games are gamepass are too easy to give up on. If I'd paid for this I'd keep going but as it is, not sure.

Also, what is the yellow bar under the enemy's health bar that slowly fills up as you do damage? Not explained. Maybe that first boss would have been easier if it explained what that yellow bar means.

It showed you where to go while she was speaking to you, it's the room with the purple urchins in the castle. You'll need a powerup that you can get nearby in the castle to get through that room

Yellow bar I'm guessing is the stagger meter, similar to Sekiro.

Agreed on sound, that's a major letdown

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
It showed you where to go while she was speaking to you, it's the room with the purple urchins in the castle. You'll need a powerup that you can get nearby in the castle to get through that room

Yellow bar I'm guessing is the stagger meter, similar to Sekiro.

Agreed on sound, that's a major letdown
Thanks, I'll go back to the castle and check that out. Guess I totally missed it.

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023

When you're fighting the first boss it stops you as you max out the bar to explain what it does lol

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
When your level 35 and haven't left the Sands Between yet.

images

Bobbit farming spot is too OP, can get thousands of Micro plastic per run.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
I was so amped for this game and there's a lot to love, but there is some core shit that is fundamentally bordering on "B-A-D".

To the point I may shelve it and cross fingers for some improvements.

(Off the top of my head )

1) the camera is bad.
2) the camera is bad so lock on and platforming is awful. Prepare to fall off everything.
3) some of the level design doesn't support the controls. More falling. (Coral branches.)
4) the game needs input buffering. Enjoy pressing heal like 5 times before it works when you're in a tough spot.
5) fighting 2 crabs you have to jump onto a tiny ledge to fight. (Or 3!) the game doesn't control well enough to support this.
6) roll/evasion seems downright useless. Half the time I try to roll to the side but am hitbox-blocked by the enemy (their claws, maybe?) so I just roll in place and take a face full of punch.

It almost makes me angry how snarky some of the loading tips come off given the nature of the game.

"Feeling disoriented? Use the compass" (aka our map sucks. You'll feel lost)

"Losing a lot? Maybe you're not good yet."
(Buddy, I've played every Souls game ever made. There's a difference between "git gud" and "our mechanics fail you a lot.")

Again. A lot to love. But man is a lot not great here. :(

[edit] oh oh…
7) I've gotten stuck and had to kill myself in like 12 different normal-ass places in like 3 hours of play. Just wedged between stuff with no escape.

Last edited:

arvan59

Aug 2, 2021
I was pretty down on the combat at first, but it really started to click after Expired Grove. A combo of hammer + royal wave basically decimated the last 4 bosses. They were neat, but surprisingly easy given how brutal the game can be early on.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I was so amped for this game and there's a lot to love, but there is some core shit that is fundamentally bordering on "B-A-D".

To the point I may shelve it and cross fingers for some improvements.

(Off the top of my head )

1) the camera is bad.
2) the camera is bad so lock on and platforming is awful. Prepare to fall off everything.
3) some of the level design doesn't support the controls. More falling. (Coral branches.)
4) the game needs input buffering. Enjoy pressing heal like 5 times before it works when you're in a tough spot.
5) fighting 2 crabs you have to jump onto a tiny ledge to fight. (Or 3!) the game doesn't control well enough to support this.
6) roll/evasion seems downright useless. Half the time I try to roll to the side but am hitbox-blocked by the enemy (their claws, maybe?) so I just roll in place and take a face full of punch.

It almost makes me angry how snarky some of the loading tips come off given the nature of the game.

"Feeling disoriented? Use the compass" (aka our map sucks. You'll feel lost)

"Losing a lot? Maybe you're not good yet."
(Buddy, I've played every Souls game ever made. There's a difference between "git gud" and "our mechanics fail you a lot.")

Again. A lot to love. But man is a lot not great here. :(

[edit] oh oh…
7) I've gotten stuck and had to kill myself in like 12 different normal-ass places in like 3 hours of play. Just wedged between stuff with no escape.
I'm definitely feeling a few of these. The camera works fine in large open areas, but the moment you've got some walls around you it's a bit of a dice-roll what it'll do. Add to that the fact that you're routinely put on very small platforms with very aggressive enemies who attack faster, hit harder and resist damage better than you can, and it's not a great recipe.

I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by the input buffering thing too. I found myself frantically mashing the heal button during boss fights more than a few times.

Other issues I'd raise include enemies frequently being able to hit you through solid geometry and enemy attacks being able to snap to you in implausible ways.

All of that being said, I am still enjoying the game. Hope a few of these issues get addressed in patches.

This got me too. They said something to the effect of "a tower to the West", which to me implied a tower outside, off in the distance. Didn't occur to me that the game meant a tower that was part of the castle I was already inside.