• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Was it really as split as the posts here imply?

Genuinely asking as a non-American, but it just baffles me if so!

I despise our Tory government, but on the vaccine front all of our politicians have been broadly in line and encouraging take up (a few outliers aside)

Even those politicians who have been skeptics of restrictions have seen vaccines as a good reason to reopen things.
The split among politicians isn't that stark, but basically all the ones who are openly skeptical about the covid vaccines are on one side.

For example, Ivey is different from Florida's governor DeSantis in that she's not actively contributing to the politicization of vaccination and attacking Dr. Fauci, but she is still contributing to the problem in that she's basically doing the bare minimum of telling people that the vaccines are safe and effective, and then saying "I've done all I could" while actively rejecting programs and ideas that could help increase the vaccination rate and lower the infection rate.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly going to hurt them at the polls too (even aside from the morbid consequence of their voters being dead and thus literally unable to show up). I wouldn't be surprised if the public starts linking "unvaccinated" with "Republican."
The fucking irony of these racist shitheels pushing the "China Virus" only for it to become the "Republican Virus"

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Serious question: what exactly prompted all these Republican leaders to turn around like this? Republicans never do the right thing unless it profits them directly. Seeing all these turnarounds in rapid succession is just confusing. I can't believe a bunch of Republican politicians all suddenly and in unison grew a conscience in one week.
they've got data and polling evidence to point them towards being afraid at the coming elections. cant get your hopes up that shit wont turn in their favor, but they've obviously seen something that leads them to believe they're fuckin toast. Again, not to get anyones hopes up, but thats a gut reading. They know something and they're spooked.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Kay Ivey is a generally detestable person, but her response to Coronavirus has been far less egregious than most republican governors. It has actually shocked me.

Source: lives in Alabama. Sidenote: someone please save me from this place.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Was it Alabama or Mississippi that had the nation's toughest vaccine laws when it came to school participation? I know it was one of those two back in the day and it surprised me.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
When you've spent over a year downplaying the severity of Covid, finding reasons to not issue mask mandates, and complaining about vaccines not being safe, don't be surprised when your voter base still won't listen when you suddenly go back on all of that.

I guarantee this governor is still going to send young kids back to school without masks as well.

She actually hasn't done any of this.

But yes, she is sending kids back unmasked and killed the extra federal unemployment as soon as she could, which is bullshit.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Just for reference.

ZltWnm.png
Where is this image sourced from? I don't know what's the most accurate sources, I just use the Google dashboard, but for Oklahoma it shows our numbers far lower than even this, at 46.6% and 39.7% respectively.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Asa Hutchinson has been pushing vaccines since the beginning of the year in Arkansas but it hasn't made a difference. Distrust of authority and institutions is too ingrained in people. It's a cultural problem that conservative politicians have no desire to address.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Wait, you have to pay for the shots in America ?
Technically no, but some people have gotten illegally charged anyway and you can get charged for testing and other types of stuff. The Department of Health and Human Services sent out a letter last month telling providers to cut that shit out.

www.nytimes.com

Government Warns Doctors and Insurers: Don’t Bill for Covid Vaccines (Published 2021)

Such billing has been rare, but public concern about it may be contributing to hesitancy about getting the shot.
www.nytimes.com

Share Your Medical Bills for Coronavirus (Published 2020)

As we explore how the pandemic is changing U.S. health care, you can help by showing what you’re being charged for testing and treatment.
Americans have been battling surprise coronavirus bills for nearly as long as they've been fighting the disease itself.

I know this because I'm a reporter who has been collecting patients' bills for coronavirus testing and treatment since last August. So far, over 600 readers have participated. Their bills have revealed high charges and illegal fees, as well as patients who face substantial medical debt for coronavirus treatment.

Still, the rules are not foolproof, and some patients have faced illegal charges. In April, the Health and Human Services office of the inspector general published a letter saying it was "aware of complaints by patients about charges by providers when getting their Covid-19 vaccines."
A few patients have submitted bills showing surprise charges to a Times project collecting patient bills for testing, treatment and vaccination. The fees range from $20 to $850. If you received a bill for your coronavirus vaccine, you can submit it here.

Patients who receive bills for coronavirus vaccines can challenge the charge. Those with health insurance can reach out to their plan to ask why they received a bill when two federal laws — the Families First Coronavirus Response Act and the CARES Act — outlaw it.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Imagine if in the next election, a republican candidate loses by the same amount of people that have died in their state from Covid. They would take those stats and say 'We would have won the election if those people didn't die. It's their fault!!!"

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
My response to black folks (justifiable) skepticism concerning the vaccine is covid is already killing us disproportionately. If they were trying to kill us off, they'd just let covid do what it's already doing.

It's still a completely nonsensical stance to take on this.

I'm glad that I got one of my co workers to take it by taking it myself to show it wasn't going to kill you. I've heard from people about that micro chip bs and kind of walk away because that's some conspiracy theory BS that I just don't have the energy or tools to convince a random stranger otherwise. It almost feels like every third person that I have this discussion with doesn't want the shot, experimentation on us being the most cited reason.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You just need to incentivizing smart, if red states started requiring anyone 18+ to provide proof of vaccination to enter sporting arenas, restaurants, etc a lot of people would sign up for a vaccine tomorrow. Perhaps a 4th stimulus check worth like 2,000 for every vaccinated person from the federal government regardless of income. It's sad it would have to come to things like that, but it would absolutely get a large number of dumb fence sitters to take the plunge.

People in the US won't see that as incentive, they'll just get outraged.

The holdouts are mainly just idiots at this point.

If you started paying people say $100 to get vaccinated though you might get some more takers.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
Wait, you have to pay for the shots in America ?
You don't but I'm betting for a lot of low-information folks, especially those who don't have healthcare or a regular doctor, theyll be far less likely to speak with someone with real knowledge and who can vouch for the vaccines, so they'll just assume the background white noise of "are vaccines safe? Who knows!" - a sentiment that we know better because we have internet and regular doctors

(Also remember there's a lot of anti-black racism in the medical field)

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Kids under 12 are not keeping us from good vaccination rates. There are kids under 12 in every fucking state.

Yeah, that argument is really bad, and I think less of that person (in the article, not the posters) for making it.

Newsflash, kids under 12 also exist in Massachusetts. The nearly 40% gap in vaccination rates between MA and AL are not coming from kids.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad that I got one of my co workers to take it by taking it myself to show it wasn't going to kill you. I've heard from people about that micro chip bs and kind of walk away because that's some conspiracy theory BS that I just don't have the energy or tools to convince a random stranger otherwise. It almost feels like every third person that I have this discussion with doesn't want the shot, experimentation on us being the most cited reason.
That microchip shit is so fucking stupid, you can watch them fill the needle from the vial, they think some pharmacist at CVS has such amazing eyesight and motor skills to make sure she sucks up an invisible microchip with a tiny syringe needle everytime she jabs someone?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
That microchip shit is so fucking stupid, you can watch them fill the needle from the vial, they think some pharmacist at CVS has such amazing eyesight and motor skills to make sure she sucks up an invisible microchip with a tiny syringe needle everytime she jabs someone?
the solution itself is 40% microchip so its a good chance you will get chipped.