• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
ResetEra has a disproportionate amount of people from the future.

That is a nice way to spin it, well done :)

I agree that there is a bit of a negative attitude towards Anthem but EA set themselves up here, they have consistently tried one scummy practice after another, and the issue of monetization became a big one after Battlefront 2.

So you can't blame people for believing that Anthem which is described by EA as an live service game, that will have a ten year plan (destiny devs said the same thing) for thinking this game will be heavily monetized.

I will remain skeptical especially after what just happened with Battlefront 2 which seems to have been abandoned completely since most of the devs have been moved to other projects.

Of course it will be monetized, but we have no idea how they will do it yet. There are ways that are fine (cosmetics and convenience only) and others that can ruin a game (the originally proposed BF2 plan). I know they are not terribly popular here on ERA, but EA are not dumb, and they know that after BF2 (which is completely changed and fine now with the monetization) and NfS Payback, they have to change things.

It's releasing on pc using Frostbite engine. *I expect* It will look just like the reveal, this isn't Ubisoft.

This hurts.

chasingclouds

Jan 5, 2018
England, U.K.
I wish I shared your enthusiasm.

I don't believe for a second that any MP focused game will be able hold the same deep, compelling narrative as their past SP titles. Bioware are a SP studio known for their story, not their combat (much as ME3 & Andromeda's was improved). To base their game solely around the combat is imo misguided, as to be frank - fans don't play Bioware games for the combat! I think the theme looks quite generic and the entire thing seems to be designed to chase the success of Destiny, instead of concentrating on what Bioware themselves excel at.

I also worry that the best I could hope for is to enjoy the game, then be disappointed when EA close the servers and they stop supporting it months after launch if it does badly. As per their usual M.O. Again, not something that makes me want to dive in.

OP
OP
LossAversion

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Bad example Titanfall 2 was a good game that they completely bungled the release for since it was released right between DICE's Battlefield game and Treyarch's Call of Duty release.

Mirrors Edge 2 Catalyst also went under the radar for the same reasons although that game was not anywhere near as good as Titanfall 2.
I was providing examples of games published by EA without a terrible monetization model, not games that sold well or that were published in an appropriate release window.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I wish I shared your enthusiasm.

I don't believe for a second that any MP focused game will be able hold the same deep, compelling narrative as their past SP titles.

Have you ever played SWTOR? Some of those stories, especially the Imperial Agent, are right up there with the best BioWare stories, despite the game ostensibly being MP-focused. I would expect them to take some lessons from that game for Anthem.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
They need to make the story and characters memorable, a decent legnth, and something you remember and want to revisit. Destiny worked in terms of gameplay but was kind of forgettable in retrospect. I actually think borderlands did a better job in creating something distinctive in its world/characters.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
I think Anthem looks pretty dull but I'm hoping to be surprised. If nothing else this feels like a make-or-break project for Bioware - where do they go if Anthem doesn't hit?

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer was unexpectedly good but worked almost entirely off two things that enhanced what was really a fairly standard horde mode: Customizable and unlockable Mass Effect classes/species, and ability combos to liven up the gunplay. Given that they somehow managed to make it worse in Andromeda, I'm not convinced they ever understood what made it fun.

Have you ever played SWTOR? Some of those stories, especially the Imperial Agent, are right up there with the best BioWare stories, despite the game ostensibly being MP-focused. I would expect them to take some lessons from that game for Anthem.

Yet the overarching gameplay of SWTOR remains the most turgid kind of WoW/LoTRO clone I can ever recall playing, and all of those stories would be better served in a game that was actually fun.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Yet the overarching gameplay of SWTOR remains the most turgid kind of WoW/LoTRO clone I can ever recall playing, and all of those stories would be better served in a game that was actually fun.

We may not know much about the game yet, but it is probably fair to say that Anthem's gameplay won't be anything like SWTOR's, so we should not worry about that too much. A more fluid Mass Effect game- and gunplay would be perfectly fine for me.

Totally agree with this!

It is sad how many people completely overlooked or dismissed SWTOR as a story-driven game because of its genre. Some really fun stuff in there. And, as is often the case with Star Wars imho, the non-Jedi stuff was the best^^

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am prepared for failure, especially due to past games but I hope it is a massive success just so many EA and Bioware haters eat some healthy crow.

The mobility looks fun, I like the setting (not as generic as Destiny was/is) plus those mech suits look cool to play around with. They just need to nail the loot loop, progression and endgame and it will already be better than Destiny.

Hopefully E3 has way more info.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Idk what I'm feeling. I really really want it to be good but I'm not sure if will. I know it the same team but Mass effect Andromeda really hurt my trust in Bioware.

I'm not worried about loot boxes or anything after the backlash to battlefront.
They'll be in but there's no way they'll be pay to win trash like that.

chasingclouds

Jan 5, 2018
England, U.K.

You know I just really didn't like SWTOR at all, I was one of those devastated that it was an MMO. Same situation with The Elder Scrolls Online, which I actually bought with Morrowind because I was determined to like it, but I didn't enjoy it at all. And I tried so hard to, because it looks beautiful and I really wanted to get into it! But neither game ever felt close to how SP feels to me.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll wait for a beta to pass judgment.

There's a reason no one has been able to replicate the success of Destiny, this looter shooter thing ain't easy.

I am hopeful though. The space could do with some competition.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'll wait for a beta to pass judgment.

There's a reason no one has been able to replicate the success of Destiny, this loiter shooter thing ain't easy.

I am hopeful though. The space could do with some competition.

Well, Destiny had a big name behind it, with grandiose hype and marketing, so no wonder it did well, despite dicking over the fan base at every turn.

Hopefully with Me behind them, maybe Bioware can start fresh and be more inventive. As long as it has a good amount of content, a meaningful endgame and a focus for the future, it should do fine. Much of that is up in the air until they announce it though haha.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feels hard to be optimistic about a game that has so much negative rumblings going on honestly. Rumors of complete design reworks after the battlefront debacle due to do excessive monetization schemes, and tons of devs having left the studio, including some senior ones.

It's also a game that's targeting a genre that, as far as I'm concerned, have been nothing but disappointingly bad games. Games with an emphasis on good production values, but are content light, and have very simple mechanics and game systems. Given that this is pretty much also the way that Bioware were moving before Anthem, I somehow don't see Anthem being the game deviate from those aspects.

I want to like Anthem (that always seems to be what it comes down to with these types of games though), I think what they showed looked gorgeous visually, and there were absolutely things I liked. But that was clearly a highly scripted vertical slice and very little to go by. So until I see gameplay that is less scripted and way more comprehensive, I am going to continue want the game to be good, but expect it to be another Destiny or Division.

arcticice

Oct 31, 2017
I am cautiously optimistic too. It can turn out to be an amazing game. However, i'll reserve my judgement until i try the game out for myself

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game has a huge uphill battle to relay the masses onto its side

One thing I really hope is Bioware taking notes from others devs and their headaches
If it follows them to a tee, then they've got huge problems on their hands

Like what The Division, Destiny, hell even Fortnite had to do and still are trying to keep things going

Like you can't rest on your laurels, you have to show your hungry
EA and Bioware have to be very fucking open
Its not just making the goddamn game, you need your PR and your "street team" of people to absorb players problems and relay back answers
GaaS isn't just a revenue stream of monetary goodness that just needs content thrown at it. Sometimes communication goes a long fucking way.

The market for Gass are starting to saturate, now people will fill 1-3 titles as mains rather than jump from title to title

Anthem succeeds if it learns from others and stays on the ball
If it goes EA dev route of release, buy our loot boxes and cosmetics and wait for DLC with no communication or fast changes, EA will feel the pain

Customers have caught on, they're more knowledgeable at what a GaaS should be and offer

I wish them the best, I haven't played an EA title I think for a long ass fucking time
I don't even remember a EA logo splash screen on my PS4
Like I've tried demos or betas, but I think only game I have that is purchased on my PS4 that's EA is Titan fall 2, got it super cheap like $12 during flash sake, still in my download list to play

I used to play EA games on the regular

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I liked what I saw from the gameplay demo but that sort of slice tells us very little about games in this genre. there's loot, there's skills. how those systems work and what content will be available.
Eventually both Destiny 1 and The Division managed to find themselves and adapt, I really hope we can see a game in this genre provide a little more depth to its systems and hit the ground running.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am cautiously optimistic too. It can turn out to be an amazing game. However, i'll reserve my judgement until i try the game out for myself

Yeah, this seems like the best course of action. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised but you never know, I am trying to to invest too much into a game that could go either way.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
I think we all want to like this game but maybe this forum is to pragmatic with 'launch trailers'. I.e of course it looked freaking awesome but what's it like to play. In my mind the 800 pound gorilla in the room is how will Bioware add the (once legendary) narrative to the game.

We should also keep in mind that these sorts of games can not even be assessed properly with beta's. GAAS only really come into there own after the game's community has been built after a few months of play.

I wish them luck and want them to succeed.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, Destiny had a big name behind it, with grandiose hype and marketing, so no wonder it did well, despite dicking over the fan base at every turn.

Hopefully with Me behind them, maybe Bioware can start fresh and be more inventive. As long as it has a good amount of content, a meaningful endgame and a focus for the future, it should do fine. Much of that is up in the air until they announce it though haha.
Destiny was a flawed but good game.

It remains very popular despite the raging hate-boner some seem to have for it. There is a reason for this popularity.

And that's the fact that despite having released some 4 years ago, no other FPS is doing what it does.

It's a coop shooter like no other, raiding strikes, nightfalls, and competitive multilayer, add to that a lore rich world to explore, it as a concept remains highly ambitious despite Bungle's mismanagement.

Like I said, there is a reason no one has come close, pedigree, big name or not.

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also no one talks like that in the Anthem trailer, stop selling us games on this is how you talk and play

Ain't no one buying that shit

Just shows us game play, tell us what to expect, and just start drumming up hype
Do smart campaigns through the internet to keep minds knowing of your title

Worse is to show and recluse back into your hole, have to be ahead of it

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
after bioware's last few games and what seems to be a destiny-like GaaS type experience, i can't say i feel the same.

i'm hoping it's a high quality 40 hours story traditional bioware RPG with lots of NPC's and dialogue, and branching narratives and party members to recruit etc etc something along the lines of mass effect 1, kotor or dragon age origins. if that's what its single player component is, then i'm in. if it's just destiny or the division with mech's...i'm out.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Regardless of how a trailer makes a game look, it's extremely hard for me to be optimistic about an EA game.

Yeah I agree. While I like the look and feel of the game and I hope it will be better than Destiny 2, the EA label is making it very unlikely for me to buy this. I dropped EA years ago and have not looked back.

A lot will depend on the reviews, normally this is my kind of game.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
game is still a question mark for me. could go one way or another, taking last year's showing with a grain of salt. really doubt the final game will be anything like that but who knows.

on the positive side i do think EA was legit spooked by the Battlefront backlash and i think this is where Bioware's talent, resources and creativity truly have been going into the past decade or so... so i'm not particularly pessimistic either

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
You know I just really didn't like SWTOR at all, I was one of those devastated that it was an MMO. Same situation with The Elder Scrolls Online, which I actually bought with Morrowind because I was determined to like it, but I didn't enjoy it at all. And I tried so hard to, because it looks beautiful and I really wanted to get into it! But neither game ever felt close to how SP feels to me.

That's a shame to hear, but since I have heard a lot of similar comments from people who never played SWTOR, I wanted to ask :) If you ignore other players running around and don't do Flashpoints, you can pretty much play the game like a SP game for the most part.

I know you had nothing to do with it....but Watchdogs and The Division dem graphics/experience did not cometh.

Though I like to think that things have gotten much better since.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
What this game needs for me to care:

1.) A story that's longer than Destiny's campaign. 20+ hours would be good.
2.) Actual SIDE MISSIONS, with characters and what not to interact with.
3.) More than 3 suits, all customizable/upgradable
4.) For the combat to operate like it does in the trailer.
5.) A proper map, not just the illusion of one like Destiny.

If it clears that, all the MP stuff is just white noise to me.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
My expectations are quite very low. For one Bioware seems to have gone down the tube lately, their output this gen has been poor imo, I know others disagree.
Secondly, it is hard to make a RPG with heavy story and emotive cutscenes when its in a co-op format. I can't see 'em threading that needle.
Thirdly getting this shooter/looter hybrid type game right the first time is incredibly difficult (case in point Bungie), so I expect Bioware to bungle themselves out the gate with regards to loot drops, player levelling, weapon balance, amount of content at launch etc
Lastly, EA has shown no real grasp of how to manage a "Live service" game not named Battlefield.

Look at how Star Wars BF II has been left to bleed out only 7 months after launch, all because the game did not perform well enough in the eyes of EA suits combined with the toxicity surrounding the brand from the lootbox fiasco.

I hope to be proven wrong at E3 all that being said.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
We know so little about the game i don't know what to think - it wories me that the last few bioware games have been sub par but until we see Anthem properly i don't really have an opinion.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Soft/hard caps on everything, no random rolls, and content that wasn't interesting enough to replay simply for the sake of enjoying another run through. You can't be both meh and have no reason to lategame grind and expect to please most people in a game of that nature.

tldr; Destiny 2 did not/does not? give Destiny fans what they want.

I was hoping for a more detailed response because some of the things you stated above such as random rolls are a subjective preference, while I love them, thousands of people hated them in D1, see D1 Reddit threads. Also, how do you design challenging late game content without a hard cap? Furthermore, the soft cap is needed to slow down progression so you don't have people sitting there without a carrot to chase after the first week or two of release. I wholeheartedly agree on the quality of the content/story missions but again that is not something that is incredibly hard to design around. Looking at Destiny and The Division neither does a great job with it.

Personally, I am hoping that Bioware leverages some of the RPG elements more and allows for greater build variety. I don't think they can compete with Destiny in terms of gameplay/gunplay but they can do the story, RPG elements and quest design much better.

TheDave545

Nov 4, 2017
This is another one of those games where Era members live in their own little world and think it won't do well, nobody cares about it, nobody us optimistic and because it's EA it's going to suck, whereas after working the past 12 years in 2 separate gaming retail companies it couldn't be any further from the truth.

Just like Days Gone, this was (I no longer work gaming retail) one of the most anticipated games coming out with a lot of people on a weekly basis asking about it, any info they could get their hands on, especially the release date, the only place I ever see negativity for this game is on here and reddit, everywhere else especially the public, it's a game a lot of people can't wait to play, that includes me.

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
That Anthem gameplay gave me The Division reveal gameplay vibes.

I was crazy hyped for The Division, because I assumed it was a narrative driven single player experience that your friends could also join for Co-Op fun. I didn't know what it actually was going to turn out to be and I feel Anthem is in the same boat. Also, the graphics will not look like what was shown... I highly highly HIGHLY doubt it. But time will tell. #TheDivisionVibes

Wizzly

Jan 10, 2018
The graphics look great, the gameplay is cool with the ability to fly.
I hope the game won't be downgraded and it will not be a too repetitive open world with too much Fedex quests.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Though I like to think that things have gotten much better since.

After Watchdogs 2, AC Orgin, Wildlands proformed well and the stabilization of Rainbow Six: Seige (even though it's not the tactical game, i thought it would be). Its been looking up for you guys, plus you guys got Beyond Good and Evil 2 cooking.

Still even with the improvements to The Division, it still isn't the experience. That i was expecting overall, when it released. Even with its -in my opinion - soild narrative and gameplay foundation. It still shocks me after i watched the older videos. I mean looking back recently, some key things changed from the early reveals with all those bells and whistles on display. Now of course, i'm hoping that part 2 of the IP will be expanded/improved upon.

Which should mean some of those earlier ideas; with ai, atmosphere, environment, interactions that seemed to evoke a real sense of life in such a broken.world. Well be realized in the sequel and Massive gets a chance to make the Division proper....a game that could be really amazing in a lot ways, outside of the grind and leveling in of itself.

So E3 should be fun

Now enough derailing/ranting from me.

Overall i'll be suprised if Anthem looks as good as the demo or plays that well by release, because who knows. What will have changed and given the examples of Destiny and Division. It seems that you either don't do enough and struggling to complete it in full, but still succeed. With the help of brand name/gameplay or try to do too much with a brand new engine/core team and seemingly lose focus, chasing the big dogs.

Doesn't seem like a lot of wiggle room here, unless they have a very clear vision and the publisher lets them handle it. Which EA is usually not know for and now Bioware has to live up to that 10 year plan (trap) along with everything else and deliver. I mean they reallly got a lot counting on this.

Yikes........

Last edited:

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I get the feeling they're chasing after a game people wanted 3 years ago.

The game I wanted 3 years ago in Destiny and the Division still hasn't been well realised. So long as it improves on its shared world/MMO-lite predecessors I'll be content - my bar is set at Destiny year 1 and Division at launch, so not particularly hard to exceed.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
I Have hopes because of Bioware (5 years ago the hopes would be massive) and concerns because of EA.

Comparing it to Destiny I would like that the loot would be more RPG oriented and not esthetics oriented. I want more liberty to make builds and not grind only because of fashion.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Walk me through your love for ME3's multiplayer. What makes it good compared to, say, Gears of War 3's Horde mode? The combat in ME3 was always so stiff, the AI wasn't super deep, the AI Variety wasn't that great either, nor was the level design. I realize that everything is more fun in co-op, even Colonial Marines, but like... what, to you, made Mass Effect 3's MP work? I played a few rounds with friends but went back to Gears 3 right after; it just felt so much deeper and more fluid.

the sheer amount of weapons, characters and powers that gave you a reason to try out an insane number of builds. That alone gave you a reason to keep playing for hundreds of hours if you wanted to. Most builds were a lot of fun. Also, power combos. Tech, biotic, and combat powers gave you so many different ways to take out enemies, it was tons of fun.

I'm hoping that Anthem has something similar. If they simplify it to three classes, each with two sub classes, like destiny, I will be very disappointed.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If it was single player rpg I would be hyped. Online is a bummer.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the demo they showed, but I've been around long enough to know that most of what they showed probably won't make it in the final product and within a few months we'll be watching comparison videos and watching critique about how much the game was downgraded from its initial unveil.

Outside of what they showed in the demo though they still need prove they are capable of making an engrossing world with good writing and lore in an MMO-esque type of setting and that's tough to pull off.

From a business perspective, EA wants a slice of that Destiny pie and they expect Anthem to beat it and become the new Destiny for years to come.

Bioware has a really heavy order to pull off. In my opinion this is precisely the type of very risky and dangerous investment that I feel publishers shouldn't, almost exclusively, invest in. I fear that if Bioware doesn't pull off all the stops and succeeds with Anthem, it might be the end of their studio or at least add a few nails to their coffin.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You and me both OP, according to one of Bioware's old devs the team had the concept of Anthem in mind ever since their KOTOR days so ME3's MP is probably a small portion of what Anthem is going to be like, even if it's riddled with microtransactions and lootboxes, this game has a huge potential of nailing this type of genre.

Which makes all the posts about Bioware/EA chasing Destiny's hype pretty weird. Lots of devs wanted to create that type of game but tech from previous generations held them back, including Santa Monica itself, Bungie simply beat them to the punch.

Mallaboo

Nov 2, 2017
My faith in EA is at an all time low after their recent shenanigans, so no i'm not feeling optimistic.