Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
CleanPastGuineapig-small.gif

Gdi bioware

This game is such a mess

That has got to be the perfect gif for this game. God damn. I'm more disappointed I think than anything else and I only rented the game. Would probably be rightfully pissed if I bought this fucking abortion

crimsonred

Oct 27, 2017
People are acting like this is strange. No one ever play a game with scaling before? Its really bad in the most recent WoW expac where you literally get weaker every level from 110 to 119 without gaining any no skills, talent, or abilities. Even as your stats get better with gear you get hit harder and do less damage by percentage.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Does this happen with all level 1 weapons or only this one?
Reddit thread is full of people confirming it for a variety of lvl 1 weapons, there's, like, one report to the contrary and it could be caused by something else. On the other hand people who tried lvl 18 weapons (or close number) say these are weaker as expected.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Anthem, Destiny, and these other loot centric games masquerade as RPGs where weapons and gear matter, but if you really dig into the numbers, they become incredibly shallow. I got back into Destiny 2 recently and despite hitting level 50, and surpassing 580 light, I find that I'm doing the same amount of damage and taking the same amount of hits during things like public events as lower leveled players. Because it's all scaled, rendering the gear largely pointless.

I would be far more interested in these types of games if gear mattered so much more...like it does in an actual RPG.

The findings in the OP don't surprise me at all.

Go into a blind well tier 3 with a level 400-500 weapon and see how that works out for you.

You won't be able to even scratch the common red enemies.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Seems to be an issue based around balancing varying levels of Pilots and GS. They should have just level locked it and have done with it. What others games have done this correctly?

Destiny does this correctly. Once you are over leveled for certain enemies you cease to get stronger against them. So you cant go back to old content and ROFL stomp it. But newbies dont get a damage bonus. Insance

FrozenPizza

Jul 1, 2018
Sounds a lot like the major problems WoW had when BFA launched where the scaling was completely out of whack, and level 110 characters were more powerful than level 120 characters in anything that was scaled. The high end gear and legendaries on a level 110 were giving you so much more bonus stat % over your baseline for the level compared to the level 120 character. It's also probably that they want to overpower the level 1 basekit in Anthem to ease new players into the game. You have an over-budgeted initial item to make newbs feel good when they start playing the game, and their scaling system didn't account for the massively over-budgeted item. I bet the level 1 rifle is the most over-budgeted item in the game by a large margin.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are acting like this is strange. No one ever play a game with scaling before? Its really bad in the most recent WoW expac where you literally get weaker every level from 110 to 119 without gaining any no skills, talent, or abilities. Even as your stats get better with gear you get hit harder and do less damage by percentage.
in how many games are you strongest at level 1?

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
How could it when nobody played it.

The bug is in the balancing. Some variable in the middle of the equation is wrong.

If you're trying to say The Division didn't have any bugs, I have to assume you didn't play The Division or read threads about it. Tons of dungeon exploits, and the Dark Zone fuckery was straight up ridiculous.

Not at all. The Division was a hot mess. The issue is they had great examples in D3, Destiny, The Division all loot games all with issues at launch either bugs, lack of content, or design decisions that lead to issues. Anthem had a map already of what to avoid and it looks like they did not pay attention to the issues at launch for the mentioned titles.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
GaaS = we can dish out buggy as fk incomplete games and call it a day ,because we are a service and will improve a year from release

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
This game just keeps getting better.

Atleast the Path of Exile expansion comes out soon so i can distract myself from the fact that i paid 60$ for this pos.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
This is completely incorrect about destiny btw lol the damage curves along a delta compared the enemy's level. Below a certain level you will do no damage, over a certain level you will have your damage capped. This changes depending on the activity.

How is that different from what I said? Your damage is relative to the enemy with some give depending on your level vs the reccomended level.

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus christ, the devs already stated it's an unintended side-effect of the scaling system and they're investigating it and will fix it asap, the dogpiling to this degree is asinine at this point.

I think the unintended part is have made visible all the hacks and tricks & mirror they do with the player level, damage and enemy scaling. They will readjust the formula so is less overt... but internally, I'm sure they will still have weapons doing % of total HP to the enemies, it's just that it will be better disguised. If the fake it right, people really won't be able to notice it.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is so fucked.

Stop putting scaling in these games. Anthem isn't even shared world in most cases. There's no point in this shit.

Yeah, this is becoming a real problem in games like this. Devs seem to be prioritizing the idea of being capable of doing all content regardless of gear and level, but all that does is cause those things to be meaningless, making the climb meaningless.

Getting tired of bringing up Path of Exile in threads for games of this type, but players should be capable of choosing the difficulty of the content they run, and having the loot scale with that difficulty, not the game dynamically scaling it.

The problem here is that Anthem lies to its players with difficulty levels. One would think those would actually have meaning to them, but they don't.

Genuinely quit WoW this xpac largely due to how scaling works.

Why would they ban me?
They''ll consider abusing this bug as an exploit now that it's well known. They have a bad history of banning players for doing stuff like this in Anthem.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
The damage numbers show that this was intentional and they just got caught.

If it wasn't intentional then damage numbers would be the same but they are not.

This wasn't a bug.

Dev Response

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Anthem, Destiny, and these other loot centric games masquerade as RPGs where weapons and gear matter, but if you really dig into the numbers, they become incredibly shallow. I got back into Destiny 2 recently and despite hitting level 50, and surpassing 580 light, I find that I'm doing the same amount of damage and taking the same amount of hits during things like public events as lower leveled players. Because it's all scaled, rendering the gear largely pointless.

I would be far more interested in these types of games if gear mattered so much more...like it does in an actual RPG.

The findings in the OP don't surprise me at all.

As others have mentioned, you have a serious misunderstanding how damage works in Destiny. If you are fighting a level 500 enemy and you are level 450 you will not damage that enemy. If you are level 480, you will do very little damage. If you are level 500 you will do the normal amount of damage. The level scaling comes in when you are vastly over-powered for the enemy you are fighting. So if you are 650 fighting a level 500 enemy you will do about the same amount as someone who was 550 because the game wont let you out level enemies by that much. So if you go back and run missions with your newbie friend, you will do more damage then him, but not 20x as much, but if your newbie friend comes to do missions at your level he wont even be able to damage the enemies. It scales the direction to make the game more fun, not to ruin the loot chase.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
EA can salvage the economy aspect of Anthem. Just monetize the entertainment of watching the travesty unfold. Season passes, exclusive early access to bug reports, multicam view of boardrooms with screaming suits.

Oct 26, 2017
okay but "not wanting anyone getting ahead of anyone else" is in opposition to this thing being a loot game, right?

if you're going to be able to keep up no matter what you equip, what is the point of the loot?

it doesn't make sense to me

Shh, you have discover the emperor is naked, but it's bad taste to point it out.

Loot and levels are put in games like this because it sell units. People love leveling up, people love finding stuff with color-coded rarity, people love raising a number that indicates his power or his light or whatever. In reality most of that shit doesn't matter because the game is designed as a coop action game, as you said.

But hey, give people a running wheel for mice and they will gladly jump in and starting running nowhere. It's the reason someone did a report of Anthem's loot after playing 100 times the Mines stronghold, just some days after release day.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
This shit's fucking wild.

So uhh...just saying...ya'll are welcome over in DestinyERA.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
if ti has to do specifically with the starter weapons.. has anyone tested it with a level *2* weapon?

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
It hasn't been my experinece at all. I figure if it was a problem it would be discussed by a ton of people and it would even be addressed by Bungie no?

Of course the perks make a difference that is entirely the point. Also weapon types and enemy weaknesses matter too and of course there are unique damage effects from exotic weapons. There are so many variables in weapon types and effectiveness I just don't see your point at all tbh. I mean if you are talking about if every weapon was stripped of all properties they would be the same then I guess you are right lol.

My mistake about how scaling works in destiny. Weapons have their own internal powerscaling that factors in when the difference between power of the weapon and the enemy is extreme. That is, a 10 power smg will largely do the same amount of damage as a 650 power smg *in areas of 10-20 power and the power scales different vs your aggregate (total) power. So that 10 power smg will be effective in higher power levels to an extent but will do *very* little damage once you hit very high power areas. So, yes, my mistake in thinking the powerscaling is identical relative to just the aggregate power. As a poster mentioned above, Destiny scales down to flatten dmg for "better" play but doesn't scale up.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
How is that different from what I said? Your damage is relative to the enemy with some give depending on your level vs the reccomended level.
Well you said damage is scaled to the health of the enemy when it is not. The Raid boss Argos has 13-14 million hp for instance. The damage you do to him is based on perks, gun stat, and level, not health.

Nephrahim

Jun 9, 2018
At least you got four of them. KOTOR got 2 and Jade Empire only got 1. :(
I know it won't be for everyone but If you enjoyed KOTOR I really do suggest trying ToR again. It's pretty good these days at pretending to be a single player game. It's still a bit more grindy then a real KOTOR obviously, but there's some decent story arcs in there.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
'What if a looter shooter but you actually start with the best loot and everything you find is a downgrade' sounds like some Peter Molyneux shit lmao