• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really, though? Detroit, Heavy Rain, Journey, PlanetSide 2 and Beyond: Two Souls are all Sony IPs but are on PC

Death Stranding coming to PC through EGS is just another branch on the pile tbh

Actually Heavy Rain isn't a Sony owned IP.

Planetside 2 was a SOE owned IP who then became Daybreak games.

Them also owning an IP doesn't restrict them on PC, but it's less likely to do so.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Known from before the game's original announcement, but largely forgotten?

Kojima's PS4 Console Exclusive Will Come to PC
By Tamoor Hussain | December 16, 2015

Kojima added: "I will be taking on a new challenge by establishing my own independent studio, and I am thrilled to be able to embark on this journey with PlayStation, who I have continued to work with all these past years...I cannot wait to deliver, with PlayStation, a game that will become a compelling franchise."

In a Q&A also issued by the company, as published by Medium, it was revealed that Sony is not investing in Kojima Productions, and the unnamed game in question "is planned to become available on PC" after its PS4 release.

Last edited:

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Not surprising if true, considering there were already things pointing at this back at the reveal.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
I can't find the statement anymore, but i am sure Kojima said something to the effect of "platform exclusivs suck and he doesn't want his games to be exclusivs again" after the MGS5 launch.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
The game page does have that ''Only on PlayStation'' tag

D70JurXWkAAuGzs.jpg

But these tags are more confusing than enlightening a lot of times, there's plenty of examples of not being accurate for both sides

Oct 27, 2017
so, will this be published by sony on PC? because sony owns the IP.

The game would simply be published by Kojima Productions, probably.

The Quantic Dream trio, Flower or Journey remains SIE IP (as stated in the copyrights) but SIE most likely does not want to send a strange message by publishing the games themselves for PC. So they let other publishers/studios handle it (Annapurna Interactive for Flower or Journey).

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Going the Rockstar path.

1)Original release
2)PC release with added graphical features
3)Next Gen updated version with PC additions.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

D70JurXWkAAuGzs.jpg

But these tags are more confusing than enlightening a lot of times, there's plenty of examples of not being accurate for both sides
Remember that Nioh had this on it's game page too prior to being announced for PC. And we know it's not Only on Playstation. Personally wouldn't put much stock in it imo.

niohw8s7q.png

Looking at the current website, it's not there anymore lol.

NO1Isw5.png

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I guess Kojima is the master of negotiation if he got a game fully owned, funded and marketed by Sony on PC, we'll see, either way more sales for the game which isn't a bad thing.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
In fairness, PS4 is already at a place model ripping and data mining is already available and done. It's not as easy as PC, but it is far from impossible. If there's a year wait in-between, I actually expect the game will be datamined and the models ripped before it hits PC if that's a point of concern.

Oh shit, well it would be wise of Kojima Productions to enlist the legal power of Sony to protect these actor / model / director's likenesses.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

D70JurXWkAAuGzs.jpg

The tags can be misleading indeed. What cant be misleading is PR for investors:

Sony Interactive Entertainment Unveils Hideo Kojima’s PS4 Console Exclusive Title Death Stranding

SAN MATEO, CA, June 13, 2016 – Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today unveiled Hideo Kojima’s first Kojima Productions title DEATH STRANDING for PlayStation®4 (PS4™) and its first teaser trailer at the E3 2016 PlayStation Press Conference. As with all of his past masterpieces, the latest...

Console Exclusive was ALWAYS the wording.
And the deleted Medium QA always said it was coming.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decima Engine on 4k with all the fucking bells and whistles and 120fps capable? Imagine that guys.

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
IF it's coming to PC, I fully expect EGS exclusivity.

Maybe EPIC will have it's client not be a trash fire by the time it does come to PC, but I'm not holding my breath.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It was explicitly announced for PC too. This colllective amnesia is bonkers lol.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
wish that when Kojima was specifically asked about this in April he would have said yes or no. maybe he can't because of contracts but that's shitty thing to do. give people information to make an informed purchase. don't trick people.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
They aren't forgetting, they're in denial.
I've been expecting a year of exclusivity since that was announced. Like NieR:Automata, only worse. People said the PC version of that was cancelled too.
If it doesn't come to PC eventually? It's their loss. I'm not buying a PlayStation.

LOL, k. I'm sure Sony cares if YOU buy the game or not.
How you can compare NieR ( A Square Enix IP ) to this and also call it "only worse", is beyond me.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Remember that Nioh had this on it's game page too. And we know it's not Only on Playstation.

niohw8s7q.png

Exactly, its why I said these tags are not a good way to measure anything. There are games that dont feature the tag that are only on PS too. Its kind of a mess on Sony's side really.

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima is good for adding extra graphic features for PC version as we know from MGSV so it will be even more amazing on PC, plus high fps, res... Damn!!!

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not surprised at all to be honest. I have a feeling more from Sony will come to PC via licensing deals egardless if Sony owns the IP or not.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Exactly, its why I said these tags are not a good way to measure anything. There are games that dont feature the tag that are only on PS too. Its kind of a mess on Sony's side really.
Facts.

Honestly I'm really tired of the secrecy surrounding platform exclusivity deals. This is the kind of thing that should be made clear to everyone. Third-party exclusives in general are just bleh.

Status
Not open for further replies.