• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
The library probably isn't there yet, and the third party support may never be; but we've seen a few games like FIFA and DOOM, as well as Rocket League and the upcoming Wolfenstein which at least mean some gamers have to make a choice on which platform to buy them (portability over performance, perhaps).

And also, consider this, simply playing through Zelda and Mario this year alone could take up the vast majority of some gamers' available play time.

So, does anyone consider their Switch to be their "main" console yet? Do you think you could ever pack up your PlayStation or Xbox, or at least resign it to the shelf?

I assume we're talking about the console you purchase the most software for and spend the most time on.

Exactly.

Last edited:

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By now yes. It has reinvigorated my interest in gaming.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It kind of is right now. As long as I take PC out of the equation.

Xbox 1 just hasn't had much to play in terms of exclusives this year. Next year doesn't look much better. GF has my PS4. I miss it a little, but I played the PS4 exclusives that I wanted. So the Switch becomes my default console. PC as my default platform though.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It'll be my main console for Indies like Stardew and Gungeon. But for something multiplat like Doom I'll get it on PS4
until I can be bothered to build a pc
Dragon Quest XI is iffy, because portability helps RPGs.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dual wield both Switch and PS4 OP. If 1 console is 100 points of fun, then 2 consoles must be 200 points of fun right?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I do think I should consider the Switch my main console, as I've played most of my games this year on the system. I wouldn't want to retire my PS4, though, even if the eventuality that Switch would get all third party games: Playstation exclusive are of high quality and the PS4 is more than worth keeping around for the slate of exclusives coming up.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
There was so much for me to play on PS4 this year and I already had BOTW on Wii U, but I think next year I'm planning to go all-in on it. ESPECIALLY if Animal Crossing and Smash Bros. come out.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This year it certainly has been. Ps4 had a great first half but trailed off after that. Haven't turned my Xbox one on since Halo 5.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Me. My PS4 is my Netflix since the switch came out even though I have so many games to finish still. Maybe when there's some drought I will pick them up again.

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not. It's a nice accompaniment but I do my primary gaming on PC and PS4 these days.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
It was for a bit, but not right now after this black friday. I mostly beat Mario and Zelda and now Im playing smaller stuff on quick bursts only (Sonic Mania, Battle Chef Brigade)

I just got FIFA 18, Wolfenstein II, LiS Before The Storm, Dishonored Death of Outsider and still going through Frozen Wilds on PS4, so thats main console again

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
atm yes but I also play PC nearly as much

I might end up with a PS4 or XB1 this christmas, idk if they'll ever end up my primary console though

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Regular consoles don't fit my life anymore. PS4 has been collecting dust since launch.

Not that it isn't a great console, but the hybrid nature of Switch plus it's instant save and resume just makes it a perfect fit for my lifestyle.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely. At least this year, it's been pretty stellar.
Always nice to have more than one console so the PS4 is a nice secondary console for some Japanese exclusives like Nier and Persona

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
PC is the only thing i can see as my main console since it has so many options but the switch is the only console that i see personally as a secondary console for me. Those two are the only thing i need.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats the point of considering something to be your main console?

I assume we're talking about the console you purchase the most software for and spend the most time on.

Speaking personally, I have little interest in most third party AAA anymore and I love indies. Because of that, I spend most money and time on Switch. I appreciate the hybrid nature as well, otherwise I could just buy these indies on another system. And then there's Nintendo first party which I've always loved.

If I were a big fan of third party multiplats, Switch wouldn't see nearly as much playtime. This will vary from person to person. I would assume most people purchase and enjoy big AAA releases from third parties, so Switch won't be their "main" system.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Def. will end up the system i spend the most time on. This year already was crazy with mostly first party and indie games, def. more than anticipated. If we start get more JRPGs next year in addition to even more indie title i dont see it changing. Add in Smash Bros. Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem first party wise and i doubt ill need more than PC/Switch again. Dont have enough time to play all those games anyway.

Still need to pick up Splatoon 2.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No but it's a good complementary console when I'm gaming on PC/PS4 and want portable gaming on the side.

OP
OP
Spades

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
Whats the point of considering something to be your main console?

If you want to be pedantic, I would buy third party games on Xbox, for example, because I prefer the controller, it's where my friends play and it now has the definitive versions of these games. So that's why Xbox is what I consider my "main" console - as I do 75+% of my gaming on it.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great system, and the convenience had me considering it as my main console with most of my time put into it for a few weeks. Ultimately I realized I still value the traditional console experience a lot, especially big budget cinematic games that first and third parties provide on PS4. Old, questionably performing ports of Doom aren't quite enough for me, especially with no promise of future support guaranteed.

I know not everyone will feel this way, but I realized I prefer having a better looking and performing console couch experience, than a compromised one on the go. Switch is great for airplane trips, travel, and things like that when there are no other options and I really need to play something.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
It's mine, but I don't have a PS4 or Xbox One. I upgraded my computer the summer of 2016, so I can play many current gen games but I've still played my Switch far more than PC since March.

ghostship

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is, and I expect it to remain so. The lesson I took from the last couple of generations is that while man cannot live on Nintendo 1st party alone (this man, at least), he can do perfectly well with Nintendo 1st party plus particular 3rd party output found on Nintendo handhelds.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Nintendo stuff is always my main console but I often have an alt console along with my PC. Depending how little Nintendo offers or how much my PC or second console offer I'll play accordingly.

I loved the 360 just as much as my Wii that generation, but this generation I'm not as into games on the PS4. I feel there's more than enough for me to play on Nintendo at all. Too much in fact.

I don't have quite as much spare time as I used to the older I get so in general I play games less. There's a bunch of games I'd love to play on PS4 and XB1 but I simply don't have the time or money to play all that.

It's a shame really. I love games dearly but simply have enough trouble prioritizing what I do buy.

Like, it took me 320ish hours over a period of half a year to beat BOTW. I play games slow and take my time with them. I can't/don't want to rush through ANY games. I'd rather just not play a game then not enjoy it the way I want to these days.

Again, I had way more time to play games during the 360/Wii gen.

I could prob name the PS4 games I've played this gen on 1 hand, and it has nothing to do with lack of interest in the system or it's games.

But Nintendo is my favorite so I will probably always prioritize their games and systems.

Please hold "teh fanboy" rhetoric.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Yeah it is.

Sure I don't own a PS4 or Xbox, but honestly, I don't miss 'em. I'll eventually get a PS4 on the cheap when The Last of Us and Spider-Man are out, but honestly, the Switch really is enough for me at the moment.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Never will either. Works best as a secondary console in my opinion

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I own a Switch, PS4 and I just recently bought an Xbox One. I've bought 13 games for Switch since release and Ive own 9 games on PS4 since 2015. So I guess that means Switch has pushed in front.