• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
These kind of threads only get funnier to me when I remember that a lot of y'all will be the same ones talking about their huge backlogs lol

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ehhhhh. The next time I want to see Nintendo is when they announced a new system, my switch can rest now

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
At this point, I feel like Nintendo's insistence on announcing not too long before launch is actually hurting the Switch's last year. Just make a goddamn direct in the beginning of the year announcing everything left for the system, everybody knows next year is the year of Switch 2.

Anyway, I cannot complain that much. Last year was a total outlier for me. I usually don't buy many games every year (hard to have stuff aligned to my tastes), but last year I bought FIVE Nintendo games. This is so rare for me, I think the last time I played more than four Nintendo games the same year was back in the DS days.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I'm half like this but also half in ignore mode until they show the new system.

CaveGhostPurp

Jan 12, 2022
Endless Ocean coming back is a huge deal to me, if we're strictly talking Nintendo's output.

Other than that there just haven't been a lot of indies coming to console lately that I'm interested in playing. Kinda in slump. At least a new TMNT and Pac Man game are coming out soon too.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
No. It's fine. There's plenty to play and so much more to do then worry about when Nintendo is going to do anything.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
My point was, we *are* getting Nintendo games. We just got Mario vs. Donkey Kong and Princess Peach: Showtime. They've got other stuff in the pipe for this year. This is not like the Wii U days.

If you want *specific* games that only come once per generation, that's a whole other discussion. Not to mention the fact that the current games in those series are SO packed with features and content that it'll be really difficult to start all over.
We were also getting Nintendo games the last year of Wii U. We were getting games like Pokken Tournament, Star Fox, Zelda Twilight Princess HD, Tokyo Mirage #FE, Mario & Sonic, and Paper Mario.

I'm not sure how this is much different. I think it's pretty clear why people want the next console. People want the top tier Nintendo stuff.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
Peach Showtime just came out and is one of the best kids games in years and Paper Mario and Loogi Maloogi 2 is out next month and the one after. Add in a probably direct in early June for the game reveal season and we're doing pretty good. Yes I would love another game as good and meaty as Pikmin 4 but not every year can be a pikmin year, and we just beat Mario Wonder and Hazel is going through ToTK right now. Things are good!!!!!!!!

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
the longer they delay the switch 2 the better the launch lineup will be, so I'm ok with it.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Nintendo is about to drop GOTY 2024 soon so I am just vibing. Every year they can't be firing on all cylinders. This happens to be the only year where they are just cooking and waiting. Considering what the EOL for Wii and Wii U were like…Switch had a good life

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
at the end of the tunnel Metroid Prime 4 is waiting and maybe even Metroid 6…

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
A meaningful shake-up to the Smash formula, an actually new Mario Kart, a new 3D Mario, for Metroid Prime 4 to actually fucking release... There's a lot of leeway there without even getting into the weeds about F-Zero and Starfox!
The Evergreen titles are only going to get 1 release per system though... so, there's nothing that can be done except wait for Switch's successor.

Metroid Prime 4 or a Pokemon spinoff, I suppose I could see those being releasable titles, but any top 10-15 evergreen is always going to be a waiting process at this stage of the console cycle.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Yes I do feel that way, but it's pretty easy to forgive. I feel like Nintendo have been the only ones that have actually done anything interesting the last four years since the latest Gen came out. We're still waiting for the PS5/Series consoles to actually start releasing more than one decent game per year and make use of their power, meanwhile Nintendo's been releasing bangers every 2-3 months this whole time. Not to mention Paper Mario is a huge deal.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
It's easy to say "everything's fine" with Nintendo because if you're level headed you could say that about the entire industry. We all know it. There's already TOO MUCH TO PLAY.

However, the Nintendo flavor is special in its own right. People have been accepting of decade-old hardware for years because Nintendo has generally delivered. There's plenty left in the chamber to inspire the gaming populace in a time when games are abundant yet there's still an air of stagnation at the upper end. Why?

Personally, I think every part of the entertainment industry could stop production for five years and I'd still be all set. Games, movies, shows, books, whatever. That's ME, not the industry at large. That's not the consumer base. That's not how any of this works.

Nintendo always sets themselves apart and in a time of stagnation, cynicism, layoffs, and hardware that's never powerful enough, the company is in a ripe position to capture people's imaginations again. They're currently in a comfort zone, which is great for passive gamers that are always catching up, but disappointing for those who're enthralled by the potential of the future.

I guess that I'm saying is that Nintendo is operating smoothly right now and they're performing above expectations despite remaining in the safe zone. That doesn't stop them from being the spice that the industry desperately needs.

Last edited:

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
No. I'm still slowly burning through TOTK. This game is massive, insomuch as intimidating. There's no end in sight for things to do and see. Hours fly by when you're in this game, it's almost like a pocket time machine.

And I still haven't played Mario Wonder, the new Peach game, or the dozens of things in my backlog.

Or gone back to the games I never finished (Bayo 3, SMTV, Metroid Prime Remastered…).

…Yeah, I'm good for three years at least, lmao.

So, OP, what I'm trying to say is…:

63cb8e2f7d5c4.jpg

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes

but only regarding Donkey Kong, for the last ten fucking years. No new games. No merch outside of the same Sanei DK and Diddy Plush, Jakks figures, and Legos.

There's the theme park expansion at Universal, but even that feels saddled to Mario. The fact they cut Ellie out when she was in the concepts frustrates me.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not pressed. I'm still playing Fire Emblem Engage and have a long backlog of cool RPGs to play. My currently library will fill my gaming needs for at least several months if not a whole year.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
Patience is key.

Either way nobody else is doing anything right now.

This is peak filler year.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This is mostly a filler year for Nintendo in light of the Switch 2's internal delay, so I try not to think about it too much. If we get something cool from Nintendo in 2024, it'll be more of a pleasant surprise to me.

Ry.

AVALANCHE
Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
If Switch 2 can launch with a bunch of bangers and a modernized OS, I'm fine with them going into stasis until 2026 even.

I already lost my release date bet as denoted by my lovely new user profile pic, so fuck it lol.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder if we'll get any news for what's in q3 and q4 this year before the announcement of Switch 2. Given that the rumors seem to suggest it got delayed to early next year and that the announcement was similarly pushed back from March to June, I'm wondering if NIntendo will do a direct earlier than usual to get the end of year stuff for Switch announced early so it doesn't have to share space with the switch 2 stuff, given Nintendo's next direct would normally be in June

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I do wonder if we'll get any news for what's in q3 and q4 this year before the announcement of Switch 2. Given that the rumors seem to suggest it got delayed to early next year and that the announcement was similarly pushed back from March to June, I'm wondering if NIntendo will do a direct earlier than usual to get the end of year stuff for Switch announced early so it doesn't have to share space with the switch 2 stuff, given Nintendo's next direct would normally be in June
Brazil mentioned that we would get a general Direct this month followed by the Switch 2's reveal in June, & he was the one who initially broke the news of the internal delay.

Gambit61

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind, the lack of releases is helping my wallet and backlog so much. After Paper Mario i'll just be waiting for the Switch 2 announcement.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I've been anticipating a big blow out of game announcements from Nintendo with the Switch 2 reveal but I've also been thinking the same thing with Sony since the PS5 and that's not going so well. I want to be hopeful but I think we should be expecting fewer and fewer AAA games coming out in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch 2 has a disappointing launch lineup.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not exactly starving to play games; my time playing games on consoles has decreased dramatically over the years. I'm okay with just playing Thousand-Year Door on my Switch this year honestly. However, the idea of new hardware is still exciting. I want to know what it looks like, what improvements over the original it has, etc. I feel particularly impatient in this regard because I feel like people have been saying "this year" or "next year" for literally 3 years now haha so I'm kinda tired of waiting.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Nah. The Switch 1st party library is so good, Nintendo never have to do anything ever again.

Can't ask for more after Dread, Bayo 3, XBC3, Wonder, TotK, etc.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I am trying hard to get through the rest of my Switch backlog. It's all first party, but there's quite a bit still to go.

I just finished Metroid Prime Remastered (still my favorite of the classical Zelda games)

I'm on day 16 in Pikmin 4

I haven't touched Luigi's Mansion 3, and I also never played 2

I'm halfway through TotK

Only in the second area in Splatoon 3 SP

Gonna start Astral Chain over from the beginning

Jan 15, 2019
Well, we're likely about 8 weeks away from the Switch 2 reveal which will probably be accompanied by some of the games for its launch lineup, so I'm not that bothered by the fact that we only have a couple 1st party games on the horizon at the moment.

Theory

Oct 27, 2017
I am trying hard to get through the rest of my Switch backlog. It's all first party, but there's quite a bit still to go.

I just finished Metroid Prime Remastered (still my favorite of the classical Zelda games)

I'm on day 16 in Pikmin 4

I haven't touched Luigi's Mansion 3, and I also never played 2

I'm halfway through TotK

Only in the second area in Splatoon 3 SP

Gonna start Astral Chain over from the beginning

Holy cow where do you find the time… lol

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Nintendo likes to average 1 first party title per month, and by the end of June, they'll have released 6 first party in 2024 which indicates they are on track. Around this time last year, Nintendo had nothing announced past Pikmin 4. We don't know what the 2nd half of 2024 has in store, but I would expect another 6 or so first party titles to close out the back half of calendar 2024. A Direct between now and June is almost guaranteed, and we'll see what the 2nd half of this year looks like then.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I just can't believe they have managed to stretch the life of the Switch to 8 years, doubt many could imagine it when it released hah..

But yeah in terms of games I'm excited for this year feel pretty dud compared to last year

Apr 20, 2022
that's how I felt when I owned 2 switches and sold them both. I'm ready to see what the switch 2 hardware is like and hopefully I'm impressed for once.
Why are you even looking forward to switch 2 when you didn't like switch? You realise it's not going to be powerhouse, it's going to still be behind PS5XSX and likely close/behind handhelds like ASUS Ally or Steam Deck?

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'm still catching up on Switch games. If I ever run out there, I still have my MASSIVE Steam backlog. I'm good.

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know you're impatient about Switch successor, but they're releasing games every month so not really.
This. Endless ocean is day one for me.

And when you compare Nintendo's output to Microsoft and Sony Nintendo has way more releases than they do every year. Doesn't make sense.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I can't imagine ever running out of games to play on Switch. To feel like there's not enough is absolutely wild.

SnakeEater

Oct 31, 2017
Playing Peach game rn and it's pretty boring overall, too many dialogue (unskippable), stages don't feel fully fleshed out and mechanics are too simple with no room to learn or improve. Waiting for TTYD but remembered again that it's 30 fps despite original release running at 60. Yeah, not the best Nintendo period for me.

Last edited: