• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Marketing firm has addresses from random companies.

So why did send it to all of us? I get you can't send stuff like this to kids if you even have their address, but it feels like most of the people who got the postcards don't play fortnite
Someone pointed out that anybody who might've bought something from iam8bit probably got added to the list along with anyone who is in the fortnite.

Never played Fortnite and I'm pretty positive I don't have an Epic Account. Not sure why I would've gotten one of these then.
Ever bought anything from iam8bit?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
can i get a refund on this free postcard i got i don't like fortnite.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Does Epic really need to go to all these lengths in order to get people to play one of the most popular games out there? If they stopped all advertising of Fortnite, it would still do just fine.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Does Epic really need to go to all these lengths in order to get people to play one of the most popular games out there? If they stopped all advertising of Fortnite, it would still do just fine.

I think the big thing here, is that it's NOT even a new game or anything. It's just "hey we're adding aliens to Fortnite", essentially. That's like, the equivalent of... lemme take a similar analogy... doing a similar ARG that's animal themed (rather than this being space themed), and then finding out "hey we're adding dogs to CoD Warzone!" I get that Fortnite has done it before, but to go the lengths to send it out to soooo many people and then even make posters in cities, like, it's just saying "we're adding (new stuff) in our (already existing) game!"

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
it really isn't. ARGs are all about obscene attention to detail. You could still be right but they're different enough to be coincidental.

With everything else, nitpicking one speculated symbol out of the rest seems unnecessary.

Ooohhh juicy new video! Nice.

Oh nvm that's from SypherPK.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
This is a lot of work unless they're starting another chapter. The game is getting stale quickly: I uninstalled for the first time since starting 3 years ago. I know I'm not the only one. Hell my kid used to be obsessed but now the word "FortNite" makes him physically revolted.

It's still a huge game bu it needs a refresher.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
We did it!

czqtkpeo5j171.png

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this iam8bit connection just means that... they sold on their customer mailing list and it got incorporated into a big list of "addresses of people interested in video games" 😬

I know a lot of charities pass donor information around, so wouldn't totally surprise me.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this iam8bit connection just means that... they sold on their customer mailing list and it got incorporated into a big list of "addresses of people interested in video games" 😬

I know a lot of charities pass donor information around, so wouldn't totally surprise me.

Customer data gets sold and passed around soooooo much, so yeah this is the most likely scenario.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

They have no idea how funny it is my wife got them (and my kids and I didn't get them).

Talk about a waste of money 🤣

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
As this is looking more and more Fortnite related, my interest in this whole ARG dropped to below zero. Was a hell of a ride while it lasted though, even when it was Coldplay related.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Because they're fucking stupid, that's why. Who doesn't know what Coca Cola is? There are people who aren't even born yet that will absolutely know of Coca Cola without a single advertisement hitting them.

If anything, I'd say food and drink adverts are the MOST successful. "Hey that sounds cool and refreshing right now, I should go pick up a Coke!"

Gaz

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I enjoyed reading this thread. Too bad its shitty Fortnite related. Boooooooooooo.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I got the card as well.

I threw it away because...it had no sender, no other text to say what it was talking about....

Edit: Houston, TX here

Also - never played Fortnite in my life so I'm not sure what list I am on.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Never played Fortnite; don't have an EGS account either.

If this really is Fortnite related i'll be disappointed

niaobx

Aug 3, 2020
People acting like they are above marketing influence might be even worse than this thing being related to Fortnite

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
Now I'm kinda disappointed. I was hoping with the pandemic not being as bad as it was that we'd get something great this time.

Huskman

Jan 21, 2019
So is it really just fortnite?
As somebody who doesn't play fortnite and doesn't have an epic game store account, what the fuck.

This_Dude

Nov 23, 2020
Am I the only person on Era that is actually excited about aliens invading Fortnite? Got this postcard the other day and immediately wondered if it was Fortnite related.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I got one of these, too, about a week ago. Threw it out as I don't have the time or interest for getting into an ARG. I also have never played fortnite, so it all seems irrelevant to me.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
I received one in French today. Reads: ILS ARRIVENT. I'm not French, I live in the Netherlands.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I like how there were eight pages in a single day, but the moment people started realizing it was Fortnite related it dropped down to two pages in a week. 😂

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I like how there were eight pages in a single day, but the moment people started realizing it was Fortnite related it dropped down to two pages in a week. 😂

"But but the marketing brought awareness to a wider group of people that don't play Fortnite!" (Yet, was quickly forgotten...) I just saw my card sitting on the mail pile this morning and was like "oh yeah, that thing". Already out of mind, but was fun on here while it lasted.

Last edited:

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I have nothing against Fortnite, but there is an air of mystery that seems necessary to maintain interest in an ARG that is completely lost when this type of uber-popular non-narrative driven game is the focus. There is no story to delve into, and you become acutely aware that you're simply the target of a cynical marketing ploy.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know how to search within threads but was TheYetee already mentioned? Because I just got one of these cards and I am 100% sure they got my address from TheYetee. Why?

Because they addressed it to my co-worker who lives in a whole different country, but they sent it to my address. It so happens that I have a Yetee Stickermoon subscription for that co-worker, under her name, but sent to my address because she is in the middle of moving.

Not really amused they sold my data.

Also I have never even booted up Fortnite.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Don't know how to search within threads but was TheYetee already mentioned? Because I just got one of these cards and I am 100% sure they got my address from TheYetee. Why?

Because they addressed it to my co-worker who lives in a whole different country, but they sent it to my address. It so happens that I keep a Yetee Stickermoon subscription for that coworker.

Pretty disgusting.

Also I have never even booted up Fortnite.
Do you understand what happens when you check the box that states you do not wish your details to be passed on to third parties/for marketing purposes?

In this scenario you describe above, Epic got what they thought is your friends address, likely based from the website you mentioned as their marketing department has probably been contacted by whoever runs that site to inform them that the demographics that make up the site are probably 18-24 year olds with disposable income interested in games/"geek" culture (ie. the perfect Fortnite playing audience)

You did not factor into the decision or the targeting. Epic doesn't care if you have never played Fortnite, they are targeting your friend.

I'm struggling to see what is "disgusting" about a fairly basic marketing campaign.