More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Game's on Early Access, with a randomized survival mode currently and its campaign mode coming next year. It's quite polished and solid already, and it's one of the few games I've played that makes zombies truly feel like a threat to fear rather than fodder (others being Death Road to Canada, Project Zomboid, and State of Decay). In this game, if just one zombie breaks through your defenses, all might be lost.

I don't typically like base building in RTSs, but it's really satisfying here, even in these early stages. Needing to balance defenses, resources, military while preparing for the inevitable crush of undead is quite satisfying

http://store.steampowered.com/app/644930/They_Are_Billions/
http://www.numantiangames.com/theyarebillions/

They Are Billions is a strategy game in a distant future about building and managing human colonies after a zombie apocalypse destroyed almost all of human kind. Now there are only a few thousand humans left alive that must struggle to survive under the threat of the infection. Billions of infected roam around the world in massive swarms seeking the last living human colonies.

ss_6585e02470091ca84b8dcd3a3079976ad197fbcc.600x338.jpg

ss_b389baab5bedc42d0a4dcbfa13738914a5f12183.600x338.jpg

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I'm really not a fan of how the game looks, but the immense hordes of units on screen impressed me since i saw the first trailer.
Haven't bought it yet but it's high on my wishlist

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Does look really fun. I'm not big on early access but it's something i'll definitely look out for and wishlist on steam.
Thanks for the heads up.

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its been on my wishlist since Quill did his video series on it. Not one for darker art styles but this one is one I'll be keeping an eye on through development.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Made a post talking about it in another thread myself. It's been sitting in my wishlist for the past few days, but haven't pulled the trigger due to backlog. I have been watching a lot of streamers play it and it looks like a fairly solid game already with a lot of promise. The music is real nice too, the song that plays when a horde is approaching really creeps me out for some reason. Brutally hard game too. Watched someone who decided to redo their outside defenses, and like two zombies snuck in and that's all it took for a few hours of progress to get wiped.

wihio

Oct 28, 2017
I have played for 4 or 5 hours now and I am definitely enjoying it. I feel like it offers a pretty good balance between RTS and basebuilding with a sprinkling of TD thrown in. It can be brutally hard-- just wait til some zombies get in your base, it is over quick! Currently it is a survival sandbox, but I have read that they plan on adding a campaign that stretches 40+ hrs. I was able to fully upgrade everything after maybe 2 hours of gameplay (on 55% difficulty), which is decent for Easy Mode. I would really like to see an even deeper upgrade tree, maybe flesh out the units a bit more (they can become battle veterans after some success), but even without these additions there is quite a lot of game here already.

Oh yeah, its real time with pause which is quite nice when you are working on the finer details of your base and don't want to worry about the zombies. I can't wait to see what comes next!

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe when it's further along. The asking price is way too much right now.

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I picked it up. It's very good but it's also quite hard which I like and rare to get in RTS which actually challenges you properly.

It's quite scarce on content though.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not feeling the art, but the gameplay looks pretty good. I'm definitely going to keep my eye on it until it's out of EA.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I can give this my recommendation as well. One of those better games that does internal beta period first to ensure it's well-founded before starting EA.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I can give this my recommendation as well. One of those better games that does internal beta period first to ensure it's well-founded before starting EA.
More games should do this. You only get one shot at a first impression, having Early Access on your Steam page won't bring back the people who bounce off your game if the first release is bad.

Seldon

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought this yesterday. I really like it so far. It is one of those games you can lose hours to.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Most addictive RTS/strategy game I have played for years. This is drugs. I can't stop playing.

70 hours into the first level, and still not beating it yet, but I get slightly better and better every attempt.

Don't sleep on this hidden gem. It is absolutely AMAZING.

Seldon

Oct 27, 2017
Don't be intimidated by the "RTS" moniker if you are on the fence. This is no starcraft with micro. This is more of a fortification building game with random maps and choke points.

MortosDer

Oct 27, 2017
Got it a few days ago and I've played 10+ hours already. It will punish you. You might think your defenses are strog and then a random zombie comes from where you weren't looking and infects a couple of buildings... bam! you lost.
Totally recommended

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just FYI if you guys are interested there is currently a 10% off on Steam winter sale.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Was just scrolling through Steam and saw this on the top sellers list. Had it on my wishlist from before, but I didn't know it was doing that well :)

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing it. Very fun , I've. When improving with each attempt as it's very challenging.

You start to get a feel for the rythym you need to properly build up and expand, and the random maps help keep things fresh and forces you to expand out in different ways .

My favourite moment was getting a lookout tower so I would see any big hordes coming only to realise after building a few more that I was literally surrounded by tens of thousands.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Got it a few days ago and I've played 10+ hours already. It will punish you. You might think your defenses are strog and then a random zombie comes from where you weren't looking and infects a couple of buildings... bam! you lost.
Totally recommended
It actually makes individual zombies feel like a threat, which is something games can rarely do. Even in RE, you can run away.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Like others said, on my wishlist since I watched the GiantBomb's quick look. The concept sounds awesome. Might buy it this sale, since I have yet to buy anything too expensive.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, it looks great. I really miss base-building RTS games.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Giant Bomb Quick Look got me interested for sure. Ended up watching a couple little YouTube Let's Play highlights afterwards too. Definitely picking it up once it's out of Early Access.

Doctor Shatner

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I said I'd play this for like 30 mins and ended up staying up all night (just to lose on easy :( ). Game is a ton of fun, and hard in a good way.

I'd call it the Dark Souls of RTS if no one has said so already, great early access game.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great game so far, and despite not liking RTS games, this has a bit of tower defense that I really like.

Biggest gripe beyond the current glitch that prevents you from zooming in and out while moving your mouse is that most of my losses have been because the game didn't alert me that something was being attacked. Last game the announcer was like "your settlement is being attacked", and immediately there were like 20 zombies on top of a building, infected it, and then it all spiraled out of control from there. The alerts seem to be incredibly inconsistent, and I think it might just have to do with whether or not something's within view of the camera. I would like to still be alerted if something's happening on screen. I can't possibly know what's happening at every location in my settlement, especially with how much micromanagement this game requires.

Versipellis

Oct 29, 2017
Despite not being a fan of zombies, I liked this game since the first time I saw the trailer.

I love the concept of hordes of enemies in games and this recreates it perfectly.
The funny thing is that I find that the game is currently better than the sum of its parts:
- starting a new game is slow and repetitive and if the random initial location is bad (wide unprotected areas) it's better to restart.
- visually it can be a bit confusing and not being able to rotate the view, not even by 90° (unless I just didn't find the option) makes it difficult to see stray zombies attacking the defenses. Tip: keep checking the "repair all" icon - it helps noticing when the walls are being attacked more than the buggy notifications
- the interface needs to be more streamlined: there's no point on keeping the City Hall specs in view all the time, especially when you need to know which resources are missing for the building you want to build.

But, even with those flaws, the game is pretty addicting and original, being one of the few RTS without an organized force as enemies (and without being a tower defence game).

And those who love RPGs should check Lords of Xulima out, from the same guys of They Are Billions (Numantian Games).

Drayco21

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Giant Bomb sold me, but I'm waiting for further updates or a good sale first- it looks neat.

ActusReusJB

Dec 23, 2017
I am very excited about this game. I love to turtle in RTS games, and this game seems like it is entirely based around that style. Also excited to see that the game is fairly polished despite being in Early Access.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I have to praise this again...

I haven't been this hooked to a game for years.

I am not even close to beat the first level, and there are more maps waiting for me after that? Awesome!

Don't wishlish this, buy it! Support these guys!

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Doctor Shatner

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got a friend to buy it and we stayed up all night playing (no multi, but starting at the same time leads to hilarious concurrent zombie rushes). Just a ton of fun, hopefully, it's successful enough they can eventually add some sort of full coop mode.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
okay, this game might be crack, 5 hours in and have yet to beat the first map

Enjoying the learning curve and with each playthrough I find myself tweaking a bit on how I play

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Giant bombs quick look made it quite interesting for me, gonna wait till a bit closer to 1.0 release though myself.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a policy of not buying into EA or Kickstarters.

So once it's out of Early Access, I'll see if it's still good and pick it up. It looks really novel and fun.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Picked this up and I have to say I haven't lost track of time like this in quite a while. Nearly missed christmas lunch with the family!

Feels like a dream game after playing Emerge: Cities of the Apocalypse earlier this year. Somewhat similar concept/idea just with a complete different level of execution.