MortosDer

Oct 27, 2017
Welp. Managed to beat the second map on 60% score factor. From here on out, if I want to get the last map, no more easy mode.
Snipers+Thanatos+Executors seem really strong.
I know Titans are supposed to be great. But Thanatos is cheaper and coupled with snipers clearing the map like it's nothing is just too good of a pair.
On the final waves you can use Snipers+Executors to focus on big zombies and just let thanatos deal with the rest

Technosteve

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I heard it was a turtling RTS and instantly wishlisted it

I don't know why I laughed so much at this comment, you are one of those bastards in Starcraft that would say 60 min no rush before the game.

Played bit before I left the house for the holidays, this game gives me deep deep Caesar II vibes, the combination of mobile armies on the field and population management itches all the nostalgia buttons in my heart.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up a few hours ago and have been trying to figure the game out since lol. The game is in Early Access, but its pretty complete from what I can tell aside from having some pretty important features. They really need a campaign mode or atleast a tutorial. Obviously the Survival Mode is the meat of the game, but I think it could really use some sort of system to teach new players what the game is all about and how to play before jsut throwing you into the Survival mode.

Do we know what is coming before the Early Access is over? Really hope they are still adding actual missions or something aside from just new maps. Game is a ton of fun, but it just feels like its missing something still.

Edit: OK just read their dev blog, and it looks like their is a Campaign coming! Was kinda bummed until I saw this. So glad because this game is awesome and just needs more to do.

Technosteve

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would suggest you watch a let's play on youtube and vinny's quicklook for your tutorial. The game mechanics are really obtuse until you understand how each resource interconnects.

I think one improvement is the zombies should ratchet up in between the giant horde attacks. Would give alot more spice to the game.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
What do you basically need to survive the wave at 70 days (100% score factor)?

3-4 executors and 3 layers of stone wall? Do you need soldiers?
I just can't find the best strategy yet... haha

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
What do you basically need to survive the wave at 70 days (100% score factor)?

3-4 executors and 3 layers of stone wall? Do you need soldiers?
I just can't find the best strategy yet... haha

I don't even own the game, but from what I've seen on streams is that snipers are OP.

Neptonic

Oct 25, 2017
Tucson, AZ
I don't know why I laughed so much at this comment, you are one of those bastards in Starcraft that would say 60 min no rush before the game.

Played bit before I left the house for the holidays, this game gives me deep deep Caesar II vibes, the combination of mobile armies on the field and population management itches all the nostalgia buttons in my heart.

A fellow Turtler?! HIGH FIVE!

I wishlisted it for the same reason LOL

DEFENSE STRUCTURES ARE MY LIFE

It was the only way I could beat my dad at Starcraft when I was a kid

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
I rarely make exceptions EA/KS games, but I did not regret this game. The premise instantly caught my attention because it reminded me of the original Stronghold game which focused on turtling with some economy. My current best attempt for the longest wave count is probably headed in failure though. I've only got a few Titans plus a good amount of Snipers.

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it actually possible to beat the game? If even one or two zombies get in my base its a wrap, and yeah I mean they do feel like billions for sure. I get to a certain point and they just completely storm at me

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
DEFENSE STRUCTURES ARE MY LIFE

It was the only way I could beat my dad at Starcraft when I was a kid

Me and a friend of mine would play Supreme Commander against each other and spend hours building the most ridiculous defenses possible, literally impenetrable!... and they would all go up in flames because the first salvo in our little war always involved nukes LOL

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Although some's justifiably calling it turtling RTS, I advise that clearing out the map as much as possible with your forces is very strong strategy. Most probably figured it out (or will soon after few deaths), but the last wave calls all of remaining zombies on the map as well, so killing them in advance significantly reduces the danger and is almost necessecity for surviving at the end.

MortosDer

Oct 27, 2017
Although some's justifiably calling it turtling RTS, I advise that clearing out the map as much as possible with your forces is very strong strategy. Most probably figured it out (or will soon after few deaths), but the last wave calls all of remaining zombies on the map as well, so killing them in advance significantly reduces the danger and is almost necessecity for surviving at the end.

Plus, you kinda need to expand very aggresively in order to get the necessary resources to hold the last waves. Clearing the map helps a ton with this.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
Great game so far, and despite not liking RTS games, this has a bit of tower defense that I really like.

Biggest gripe beyond the current glitch that prevents you from zooming in and out while moving your mouse is that most of my losses have been because the game didn't alert me that something was being attacked. Last game the announcer was like "your settlement is being attacked", and immediately there were like 20 zombies on top of a building, infected it, and then it all spiraled out of control from there. The alerts seem to be incredibly inconsistent, and I think it might just have to do with whether or not something's within view of the camera. I would like to still be alerted if something's happening on screen. I can't possibly know what's happening at every location in my settlement, especially with how much micromanagement this game requires.

I'm 12 hours in after playing for just 2 days and I've mastered early and midgame, and yes, this sucks. That notification though, is probably too late anyway.

But a single zombie getting in and curb--stomping you ensures that you never get cocky even if you do set patrols on your flanks.

I am very excited about this game. I love to turtle in RTS games, and this game seems like it is entirely based around that style. Also excited to see that the game is fairly polished despite being in Early Access.

Don't get it twisted! You base build like a mofo, yes, but if you ever find yourself sitting and waiting, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!

Picked this up a few hours ago and have been trying to figure the game out since lol. The game is in Early Access, but its pretty complete from what I can tell aside from having some pretty important features. They really need a campaign mode or atleast a tutorial. Obviously the Survival Mode is the meat of the game, but I think it could really use some sort of system to teach new players what the game is all about and how to play before jsut throwing you into the Survival mode.

Do we know what is coming before the Early Access is over? Really hope they are still adding actual missions or something aside from just new maps. Game is a ton of fun, but it just feels like its missing something still.

Edit: OK just read their dev blog, and it looks like their is a Campaign coming! Was kinda bummed until I saw this. So glad because this game is awesome and just needs more to do.

Have you unlocked all three maps already? Unpossible!

Shhhhhh!!!! Let the ones who have not made it that far expose themselves, lol!

MortosDer

Oct 27, 2017
Third map on 100% is tough. Managed to get to the final wave on my first run but couldn't hold. On my second run I got to Day 80 and lost because I was starved for stone and had to take risky expansions. Of course they came from where I had bearly any defenses.
I should've known by day 60 that I was going to lose. Too far behind on tech and not a single late game unit to be seen.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
So I found a mechanic that has contributed to a lot of losses.

Sometime after the first rush that the game alerts you to with music and fanfare, from the fringes of the map, a non-alert style rush spawns from all four quadrants. So having one ranger on patrol to protect your flanks like in earlygame will no longer work, because these are the infected that can run, and they will penetrate base defenses that are not protected by at least wood walls.

I'm well above my 10th try, and I have lowered the difficulty to 30%. It's super easy for the first 30 minutes in realtime, and then suddenly, I'm finding a random zombie penetrating my base anyway. Ultra frustrating.

But I persist.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Man this game is awesome! I still haven't "beat" the first map, but I've been having so much fun learning and trying new things. Cannot wait for new modes. Any good guides I should check out?

How do you unlock the other maps? How do you upgrade buildings and make the mechs and Snipers?

Are there any other games like this? Saw someone above mention Stronghold. Gunna check that out, which is the best one btw? Any other games similar to this?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
Man this game is awesome! I still haven't "beat" the first map, but I've been having so much fun learning and trying new things. Cannot wait for new modes. Any good guides I should check out?

How do you unlock the other maps? How do you upgrade buildings and make the mechs and Snipers?

Are there any other games like this? Saw someone above mention Stronghold. Gunna check that out, which is the best one btw? Any other games similar to this?

Upgrade tiers consist of wood, stone, and iron.

Snipers are researched in the wood workshop.

Mechs are ultra-high tier. I have put 15 hours into this game and never managed to live long enough to get them. I did however, raise my population and recruited a mayor to get one for free (random). It's as awesome as it sounds!!!

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017

The very first one is closest to this one. It has a campaign where most of the missions focus on building a settlement then surviving waves of enemies with no AI castle. I like it best because the campaign is mostly about turtling, and it has a proper story.

Some people prefer Stronghold Crusader, but its campaign is more of a set of skirmishes with flavor text. The missions there are also more on typical RTS flavor because your objective is mostly to beat the AI's castle.

The 3D ones aren't very good, and neither are the ones labeled "Extreme". Stronghold Kingdoms is an online game (also available on iOS) that initially looks P2W but ends up being very heavy on diplomacy/politics like EVE. You kinda have to nolife the game because the endgame requires serious dedication among your group.

MortosDer

Oct 27, 2017
3rd try on the thrid map. Got to final day, got penetrated from basically everywhere. I keep spreading thin to get resoures, but I fail to see the best spots to hold the base. I thought I had some good chokepoints this time around but I just got overwhelmed. I'm not being efficient with my resources and it shows, Ballistas and executors in places they don't see any action... Terrible simcity, I never get max returns from bank or market bcause I just build stuff without proper planning... Oh well, just to name a few things to improve.
I can get to the final wave without hassle. Need to work on my final stand

isual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
would nice if there is a demo.

main concern is that its more of a one shot playthrough, and you're pretty much playing this for the challenge initially.

also, its probably the indie game of the quarter too - similar to when 'darkest dungeon' first came out.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
Still going strong day 50 of map 1. More than a few times, periodic spawns of zombies that come from all four quadrants at the same time show me my weak spots, and I immediately forget to shore them up as I am teching away to tier 3, making way for titans.

Advanced mills > power plants, especially because this map has so little stone.

Jiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
The people who made this must be wizards, how can it be so good? True geniuses.

The final wave at 100% is sick.

Im obessed with this game.

MortosDer

Oct 27, 2017
4th try on thrid map at 100%. I was really close this time.

One thing I learned... Pay attention to where the hordes go before the final wave. If they keep coming to the same spots even when you expect them to be going somewhere else, you can bet that's where they'll hit the hardest at the end. I knew this, thought I had the spots well defended. I got North right but I underestimated South.

By the time I got there with my army, the horde had already breached. I scrambled to wall up whatever I could while my thanatos did work and for a moment there, it seemed to be working. I didn't realize some Harpies managed to get in and killed my command center without me noticing. I saw this Huge Skull over my CC, but I was too busy looking at the main horde.

I love the rush that comes with knowing you are hours away from the end. And when you hear "Oh my god! They are billions". Man, I get fired up. "Will I hold this time?" Hands almost shaking lol.

Can't recommend this enough.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Just heard about this game yesterday, sounds wonderful. Love base-building in RTS and this sounds right up my alley. I do think I'll wait till they have something of a campaign and tutorial, I haven't played RTS/strategy in ages and if this is as hard as it seems it is, I could use some guidance :).

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Just heard about this game yesterday, sounds wonderful. Love base-building in RTS and this sounds right up my alley. I do think I'll wait till they have something of a campaign and tutorial, I haven't played RTS/strategy in ages and if this is as hard as it seems it is, I could use some guidance :).

I picked this up on a whim and I have been addicted since lol. I play atleast 3 hours a day before work and I still want to play more lol. I felt the same way when I first started playing tbh. I highly recommend getting it even at its current state. It might not seem like it, but the Survival mode alone was worth the price!

Are there really no other games that have a similar style aside from stronghold? I've been searching everywhere and can't seem to find anything like this. I picked up Dawn of War 3 and might pick up the last Starcraft 2 expansion lol. This game has completely rejuvenated my love for RTS games. Got a Switch for Christmas, but can't stop playing this!

Last edited:

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thought I'd share my story! This is my current town:
LClxLJZ.png

This game is fun. I managed to get a Thanatos from one of the mayors, so I've been using him and some rangers as a back up unit to clear up north(I've expanded alot more than this picture shows). You definitely DON'T wanna turtle in this game, you want to slowly keep pushing and expanding to more areas because food and building area starts becoming scarce-Having area to build is a huge resource as well. So far I've been doing good, I've gotten the stone shop up and running, starting to upgrade walls to stone ones, I think I'm 40ish days in.

Jiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Thought I'd share my story! This is my current town:

This game is fun. I managed to get a Thanatos from one of the mayors, so I've been using him and some rangers as a back up unit to clear up north(I've expanded alot more than this picture shows). You definitely DON'T wanna turtle in this game, you want to slowly keep pushing and expanding to more areas because food and building area starts becoming scarce-Having area to build is a huge resource as well. So far I've been doing good, I've gotten the stone shop up and running, starting to upgrade walls to stone ones, I think I'm 40ish days in.

Im still not sure if its worth going for thanatos, or just loads of shock towers and executors.

This game is deep man.. I come up with new ideas and strategies all the time. Best game of the year.

JackSlate

Oct 30, 2017
Never heard of this, but watched a couple twitch streams of it and I'm sold. Looks like a fun RTS base building game.

Sign

Oct 31, 2017
Something to watch for that I haven't seen anyone else mention is that the game won't alert you to your walls being attacked unless someone/something has sight on the zombies. If you have an undefended section of wall that is being attacked, they will quietly break through the walls and fuck your shit up before you realise it is happening.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
This game is wonderful, it scratches an itch I've had since age of empires 2. Still on the first map but really appreciating the well-paced challenge, art and design.

I'm really excited for their vision of the campaign.

I do enjoy this game greatly.

It is about the journey and learning, not the destination and survival.

I haven't won one game, my colony always lays into dust since there is one zombie that snucks into my city or I am simply not prepared.

Love it and can't wait to get better.
Recommended.

Jiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I thought I had the best base with 4 zap towers and 4 executors at every side behind layers of stone walls, but still got slaughtered at the end. Do you really need the Titans and Thanatos?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I have a few questions:

What settings are considered the Easy mode? I heard that the number of infected isn't easiest at the lowest population...

When do I start upgrading/researching?

I'm having a hard time figuring out when to start the mid game lol. I keep expanding and putting off upgrading my buildings. Hell I didn't even know how till the other day and I'm still not sure I'm doing it right.

Any videos you guys recommend checking out?

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
I have a few questions:

What settings are considered the Easy mode? I heard that the number of infected isn't easiest at the lowest population...

When do I start upgrading/researching?

I'm having a hard time figuring out when to start the mid game lol. I keep expanding and putting off upgrading my buildings. Hell I didn't even know how till the other day and I'm still not sure I'm doing it right.

Any videos you guys recommend checking out?

Any setting that puts your % below what the next map requires to unlock is considered easy. When I beat the first map, 30% score is what was necessary, so easy would be like 20%.

"Midgame" is basically when you begin mining iron to start pumping out soldiers. By then you should have a wood workshop, which is basically your advancement to tier 2. Then the stone workshop. Then the forge, which is the final tier.

Here's a rundown of what I do:

1. Immediately slap down hunting lodges (near trees), fishing, and a sawmill, in the immediate vicinity of my base.

2. Scout to see where I can build an "L" shape row of houses that looks like this:

.. : : : :

Because as I tech up, it will look like this:

.. : : : : ..
.. B M ..
.. ..
.. : : : : ..

That's the bank and market in the middle. From there, I stick houses wherever I can to capitalize on the market and bank effect of reducing food and increasing gold income.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....951/2804470521A393055674899604EFC534689DA7EE/

To start, I just build four houses. These will be needed to staff the sawmill and your first quarry. You will also need a mill soon.

4. Build a quarry, and find the first choke point that is within reason to expand toward, and find where the zombie lines begin at all other vectors. Construct small walls + tower at my flanks to nail any wanders, and focus on expanding into that chokepoint.

5. Keep building houses in patters that a well-placed market/bank combo will touch. As you are waiting to accumulate 20 stone to build your first barracks. And train at 5-6 Rangers in addition to the ones you start with to clear risky sections near your base.

6. Erect your first warehouse in a location that would be unfavorable to build a farm (so on sand/cracked earth...DO NOT WASTE GOOD GRASS ON ANYTHING BUT FARMS). Warehouses are important because in this game, maximum efficiency is a waste, and a warehouse expands how many resources you can store. Ideally, you never "max out" on resources, but before the game is over, you'll need at least two warehouses because that raises your gold cap to 6000, which is needed to research Titans. You don't need to build titans, but that's a good rule-of-thumb.

6. Wood workshop is your first tech building. I can't be destroyed once built or you lose all of your tech, so place it, like a warehouse, somewhere that is not ideal for other buildings. I tend to take upgrading houses first so I have more workers for more troops, then the market, then farms (Because good grass is hard to come by).

And that ends earlygame. By then, you should have vanquished a rush or two.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I caught a few streams of the game this morning, watched it till about noon... Bought it myself... and now its 3AM. Only got to day 54isn after multiple tries and restarts. Damn it's real good.