Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Thinking about taking up the advice offered earlier and spending an hour or so just dropping somewhere busy to get myself used to engagements. Just with there was some other way to do it without screwing over the group.

If you're jumpmaster, I would just go somewhere busy. Going into a high density area to try to win a fight and get an early loot edge is a fine strategy, I don't get the mentality that anything other than a 20 minute walk and camp strategy to start off the game is trolling somehow.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if she always did this or it came with the patch, but Bangalore now talks about each weapon, ammo and accessory type you ping and the benefits of them. I have never heard any of the lines before and she was doing it consistently last match.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you're jumpmaster, I would just go somewhere busy. Going into a high density area to try to win a fight and get an early loot edge is a fine strategy, I don't get the mentality that anything other than a 20 minute walk and camp strategy to start off the game is trolling somehow.
This is probably the second funniest thing i keep seeing posted in this thread. If you think landing in a hot spot is insta death you're either not confident in your jumping abilities or your shooting abilities, likely both. That's on you not the strategy. Jumping hot is one of the best ways to get geared up and start the game off with a good amount of kills.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Met up with arguably the best random I've encountered in any online game last night. He was in a party with his buddy but he was always communicating via mic, saying where to move and when, etc. Never critical, always helpful. We made it to the final 3 squads and his friend's game crashed. I took out a Wraith that jumped up in front of our hiding spot and then there was just a lone Caustic to kill. He got knocked down by the Caustic and he was telling me things like "don't get nervous" and "reload". I managed to revive him and heal him and he took out the Caustic from behind while I engaged from the front. That was my 5th win, 4 have been with 2 strangers.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Met up with arguably the best random I've encountered in any online game last night. He was in a party with his buddy but he was always communicating via mic, saying where to move and when, etc. Never critical, always helpful. We made it to the final 3 squads and his friend's game crashed. I took out a Wraith that jumped up in front of our hiding spot and then there was just a lone Caustic to kill. He got knocked down by the Caustic and he was telling me things like "don't get nervous" and "reload". I managed to revive him and heal him and he took out the Caustic from behind while I engaged from the front. That was my 5th win, 4 have been with 2 strangers.

And after you won the game you realized ... George Clooney had been dead the whole time and the strength to win was in you all along.

No, seriously, I love it when a random teammate turns out to be such a great asset.

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
The one thing I've enjoyed about playing with randoms is hearing two of them on mic arguing with each other over whether my username should be pronounced with a hard or soft O (I stayed out of it).

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Installed

Played one match

No idea what I was doing

Didn't realise it was squad based

Got killed and revived a lot

Felt like I had already missed the boat on this game despite it being out for less than two weeks

Uninstalled

It just might not be for you, but that is a typical experience for these types of games. Even experienced players can get killed pretty quick depending on where they land and if others grab weapons first. With over 25 million players, there is always going to be a lot of new people learning the game. I think you could try reinstalling it and trying all the characters. If you're worried about toxicity, you can also make it so you don't hear voice chat. It'll take a lot of games to figure everything out and your favorite way to play, and it doesn't take long to queue up another match after getting eliminated. My usual recommendation for these types of games is to get involved in combat scenarios as quickly as possible since anyone can loot, but it doesn't matter if you don't know how to use it effectively. This means dying a lot as you learn, which may seem discouraging, but it's just how these games work. Or, you can try and land in areas no one else is going to and loot for a while and practice movement and such.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Installed it a few days ago and only just played my first game, was doing well, killed two or three people, was running to one of my team makes when my CPU spiked to 100%, unmoving from it as game locked up, I alt tabbed in and out and it was fine for about a couples and my character was stuck until the lost connection message popped up. Neat.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
This is probably the second funniest thing i keep seeing posted in this thread. If you think landing in a hot spot is insta death you're either not confident in your jumping abilities or your shooting abilities, likely both. That's on you not the strategy. Jumping hot is one of the best ways to get geared up and start the game off with a good amount of kills.

Neither of those is true. Jumping ability (which isn't a thing since hot dropping is just picking the first big spot you and everyone else can jump to) and shooting ability aren't a factor when you're fighting 3+ teams in one location. Cross fire, pinches, and straight up bad luck play more of a factor in who wins those fights then anything else.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I tried the Prowler with the Selectfire Receiver and yeah it's pretty good.

Also, I see we got our first patch.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It just might not be for you, but that is a typical experience for these types of games. Even experienced players can get killed pretty quick depending on where they land and if others grab weapons first. With over 25 million players, there is always going to be a lot of new people learning the game. I think you could try reinstalling it and trying all the characters. If you're worried about toxicity, you can also make it so you don't hear voice chat. It'll take a lot of games to figure everything out and your favorite way to play, and it doesn't take long to queue up another match after getting eliminated. My usual recommendation for these types of games is to get involved in combat scenarios as quickly as possible since anyone can loot, but it doesn't matter if you don't know how to use it effectively. This means dying a lot as you learn, which may seem discouraging, but it's just how these games work. Or, you can try and land in areas no one else is going to and loot for a while and practice movement and such.
It's true. I've watched Ninja and his whole team get wiped inside of 2 minutes countless times. It's part of the genre. You get used to it.

I tried the Prowler with the Selectfire Receiver and yeah it's pretty good.

Also, I see we got our first patch.
"pretty good" is quite the understatement. it becomes arguably the best automatic weapon at mid and close range in the entire game. It's just unfortunate that you have to hope to run across the select fire mod because it's not really worth holding without it.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Installed

Played one match

No idea what I was doing

Didn't realise it was squad based

Got killed and revived a lot

Felt like I had already missed the boat on this game despite it being out for less than two weeks

Uninstalled
I got killed within the first 5 seconds of my first match. And I wasn't revived, nor respawned. It was the absolute worst possible first impression, especially since I've never been a fan of Battle Royale.

Yet according to Origin, I've now played 56 hours.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I've enjoyed about playing with randoms is hearing two of them on mic arguing with each other over whether my username should be pronounced with a hard or soft O (I stayed out of it).
lmao, same, I've heard several arguments over the pronunciation of my name. There is no correct pronunciation, because it's a name I made up by rolling my hands over the keyboard when I was registering for a forum 15 years ago.

Oct 25, 2017
It seems there were some performance improvements with the update. I was able to play at 1440p with no drops below 60 while watching a stream on my second window. What's more, we won!

(please excuse audio from the Giant Bomb stream I was watching)

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or does this game have one of the most obnoxious/douchiest cast in a game? Like other than Lifeline it seems they tried to make the characters unlikable as possible. Oddly enough it doesn't even bother me like it normally would, maybe cause it's pretty much the whole cast and it's so blatant for each character.

"Magazines are what patients read in a waiting room, this is a clip"

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Is it just me or does this game have one of the most obnoxious/douchiest cast in a game? Like other than Lifeline it seems they tried to make the characters unlikable as possible. Oddly enough it doesn't even bother me like it normally would, maybe cause it's pretty much the whole cast and it's so blatant for each character.

Did you horribly misquote that on purpose?

Oct 26, 2017
One of my friend's friends was getting pissed that we kept landing where others were landing. We weren't trying to land in hot areas, but the map isn't exactly massive. We aren't that good, so our logic was that we'd rather get in a fight early, practice, and die then spend 15 minutes bored and running around with no action just to do in our first encounter then restart.

You are ridonkulous. Bloodhound and Gibraltar are awesome. And Wraith. Bangalore too. Pathfinder is good. Lifeline as well.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Just noticed that it now mentions on Origin " player is playing Squads on King's Canyon". There wasn't any mention of Squads before right, feels like something new.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

they're kinda edgy but they're fine IMO.

I love this misquote.
+1

Bangalore's pedantry for the difference between "clip" and "magazine" is perfectly in-character for someone in a military unit.
tbqh, anyone who owns firearms gets super tilted whenever people refer to magazines as "clips" including me. lol

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Bangalore's pedantry for the difference between "clip" and "magazine" is perfectly in-character for someone in a military unit.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got killed within the first 5 seconds of my first match. And I wasn't revived, nor respawned. It was the absolute worst possible first impression, especially since I've never been a fan of Battle Royale.

Yet according to Origin, I've now played 56 hours.
I was randomly matched for my first game ever and we won. I haven't turned the game on since.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

I mean, if its kills then

It's risk vs reward. If you want to pad kills? Absolutely its the best strategy.

If you solely want to make it to the endgame at least with the current map there's plenty of other high tier loot places you can come off from loot and work your way into the next round unbothered pretty stacked up to make sure you're at least top 3 (skills, strategy, team mate depending).

Exception would be the Supply ship since its the best loot spot; if your talents are pure arcade shooter than yeah...its so early in the game there's no hiding to heal & regroup/ultimates to deal with/arguably even teamwork...its pure Quake III. You win and you've got an instant leg up. But at the same time a three man team with similar skills can just work their way down the map murking people along the way. I get the frustration in the former, it seems that in public games people wanna go for the supply ship just for the rush and aren't built to handle that kind of adrenaline fighting; and now you're basically solo.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Neither of those is true. Jumping ability (which isn't a thing since hot dropping is just picking the first big spot you and everyone else can jump to) and shooting ability aren't a factor when you're fighting 3+ teams in one location. Cross fire, pinches, and straight up bad luck play more of a factor in who wins those fights then anything else.
Actually both are true. Hot dropping is dropping into high tier loot areas that you know everyone will go to every game, titles towers in fortnite, school in pubg, and here its the blue spot or the ship. If you know how to jump properly you will land before everyone else which means you're geared before everyone else (especially on the ship). That means free kills unless your gunplay is poor and in which case jumping better than other teams doesnt matter. It doesnt matter how many teams there are, especially on ship, if you land first and have solid aim. Everyone who lands ship second should be dead or forced to jump unless the team that go there first is just bad.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta

I like Lifeline, Bangalore, and Pathfinder, but I do think they could use a little more charm in the writing/design. Overwatch sets a high bar.

Nov 15, 2017

DWL..the perfect misquote.
Apex Legends |OT2| Magazines are what patients read in a waiting room, this is a clip

astro

Oct 25, 2017
UQhyE0K.jpg

Mastiff is a beast in the final circles. Didn't meet enough squads to make the most of it, but still fun as hell.

Wraith is so much fun.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Actually both are true. Hot dropping is dropping into high tier loot areas that you know everyone will go to every game, titles towers in fortnite, school in pubg, and here its the blue spot or the ship. If you know how to jump properly you will land before everyone else which means you're geared before everyone else (especially on the ship). That means free kills unless your gunplay is poor and in which case jumping better than other teams doesnt matter. It doesnt matter how many teams there are, especially on ship, if you land first and have solid aim. Everyone who lands ship second should be dead or forced to jump unless the team that go there first is just bad.

There are High Tier loot spots all over the map. Hot dropping has nothing to do with that. It has to do with specifically picking areas where you know more people will drop. School in PUBG is a great example because they changed the loot rate at School a LONG time ago and people *still* drop there en masse because they don't care about the loot, they care about getting into a fight immediately.

Dropping to ship and dropping to Blue Circle really doesn't take any kind of special jumping skill. If it's long you drop in a sine wave. If not, you drop straight to it. There's nothing special enough about it to suggest that someone who doesn't want to drop those spots lacks confidence in jumping. Your supposition about shooting skills is also off because there are enough loot spots on the ship or in any area on land that even if one team lands first they won't necessarily get the jump on a second and third team and they definitely aren't guaranteed to get the best CQC guns. Skill doesn't determine the winners in those fights nearly as much as you want to believe.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
My gf is having a lot of trouble with this game on her laptop. Here are the specs:
i7 7700HQ (stays at around 3 GHz under load IIRC)
GTX 1070 (8 GB dedicated VRAM)
16 GB RAM DDR4
Windows 10 Pro
500 GB M.2 NVMe SSD (game is installed here) + 1 TB HDD
120 Hz 1080p screen (no Gsync)

The game runs great FPS wise, never goes below 60, but every once in a while the game will completely lock up for a good 10 seconds or so. Like it will TOTALLY freeze and we even stop being able to hear her via Discord, the whole system becomes completely unresponsive, until it recovers and everything is fine again. She updated the Nvidia drivers today, but it's still the same. This is the only game that causes this, we can play PUBG and many other games fine.

Any ideas?

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
The game runs great FPS wise, never goes below 60, but every once in a while the game will completely lock up for a good 10 seconds or so. Like it will TOTALLY freeze and we even stop being able to hear her via Discord, the whole system becomes completely unresponsive, until it recovers and everything is fine again. She updated the Nvidia drivers today, but it's still the same.

Any ideas?

Lower the texture streaming, seen quite a few people have this exact problem (including me) on an Nvidia card. Mine fixed once I set it to "High" on my 1070, maybe set it even lower if that doesn't work for you.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ap...ll-you-im-better.97749/page-194#post-17852903

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
My gf is having a lot of trouble with this game on her laptop. Here are the specs:
i7 7700HQ (stays at around 3 GHz under load IIRC)
GTX 1070 (8 GB dedicated VRAM)
16 GB RAM DDR4
Windows 10 Pro
500 GB M.2 NVMe SSD (game is installed here) + 1 TB HDD
120 Hz 1080p screen (no Gsync)

The game runs great FPS wise, never goes below 60, but every once in a while the game will completely lock up for a good 10 seconds or so. Like it will TOTALLY freeze and we even stop being able to hear her via Discord, the whole system becomes completely unresponsive, until it recovers and everything is fine again. She updated the Nvidia drivers today, but it's still the same. This is the only game that causes this, we can play PUBG and many other games fine.

Any ideas?

First thing I'd try to do is lower the settings that are CPU intensive. I can't recall which ones specifically but the settings descriptions will list it.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Won't my 3rd game on PC after not playing with M/KB since Destiny 2 launch.

It really is easier. The 100+ fps doesn't hurt either.

Status
Not open for further replies.