hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
nothing better than getting respawned outside the ring in three strikes. apparently it occurs after you use valkryie's ultimate

good going, Respawn!

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
damn I have been playing ranked all night for the ring closures with Valk and just popped into 3 strikes. Way easierā€¦

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Got a nice 6 kill win with Valk in Three Strikes. For whatever reason I'm seeing more variety in the team compositions this time.

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
Woah, Three Strikes was wildly buggy for me last night. Had to move over to ranked. Hope they can get some patches out quickly.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
Yeah Three Strikes seems really buggy at the moment. Last night when my group died we would get respawned directly on the ground outside of the zone. Not much fun in that.

At least we had a game where we got 10 kills each.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
It's also buggy on Olympus. Spawned in the ring in round 3 and died almost instantly.

Still absolutely love it though.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Cross input matchmaking feels horrendous at times. PC players with fucking insane movement and aiming. Feel like a tank in comparison.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
one thing that#s been annoying since 3-strikes has been back, is that i can't get a good game of tdm or control going. Always roaming 3-stacks against full solo q teams. Boring either end

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I play Maggie to counter all the controller legends in Three Strikes. And it works.

I got a triple kill with her drill after a team with a rampart boxed themselves into a corner of a room and I drilled through the back wall. lol

Jul 27, 2021
United Kingdom
It's a shame Respawn treat Three Strikes as a drug to get people hooked back on Apex. They only add it near the end of the Season to catapult a huge chunk of players into the new Season.

It's a shame they haven't made it permanent. Really sucks because after it's over the game is going to feel really really stale

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I can't understand why people imagine it would stay. It's so poorly designed in terms of balance. Three strikes is fine as a temp mode where stats aren't tracked but it would wear thin really quickly if it was in permanently.

I like the idea of reducing the punishment for dying and encouraging more fights but I think the whole revive system is awful. It's too abusable and just encourages people to hold hands with the cringiest team comps in the game.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly I can't understand why people imagine it would stay. It's so poorly designed in terms of balance. Three strikes is fine as a temp mode where stats aren't tracked but it would wear thin really quickly if it was in permanently.

I like the idea of reducing the punishment for dying and encouraging more fights but I think the whole revive system is awful. It's too abusable and just encourages people to hold hands with the cringiest team comps in the game.

Well for one, it's fun. And that is probably 90% of the reason we want it to stay.

It's essentially Mayhem from Destiny's PVP. Or Heavies from Halo 3. Totally over the top and non-stop action. Those modes had zero balance too.

Edit: They could try to make the revives a little longer and it'd still be fun while not promoting every team to run Lifeline or Mirage, etcā€¦.But I wouldn't put the revive time where it is in the base game. The reason why the revives are so fast to begin with is to offset the teams that can respawn right into a fight over and over and just wipe everyone because you have 3 shots at respawning - this would make fights feel like crap.

Last edited:

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017

Completely agree.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Still rather play three-strikes with it's balance issues over ranked, with it's own balance issues, such as allowing 3-stacks to play in the same lobbies as solo q players. That doesn't matter in 3S as you're only really playing for the fun of it.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
The game needs a permanent LTM playlist - I've been saying this for awhile. And in that playlist they should put Three Srikes and Straight Shot and when they get another LTM that's worth anything, throw it in there too. The base BR game and ranked are the same exact experience minus the ranked rules and matchmaking. It needs some alternative takes on the BR (not just TDM or Control, etc) and honestly, there's just no reason why they shouldn't do it.

In my experience, everyone I know only plays ranked. Pubs is there for almost no reason now. It's ranked or nothing. So these LTM's are literally the only other way to enjoy the BR in a new way.

Jul 27, 2021
United Kingdom

Fun crazy high octane fights. The downtime is reduced by like 90% and you can have games wherever you're fighting for like 19 minutes straight.

It's also great because it allows you to just have fun, not care about dying and keep on trucking.

It needs work because if it was permanent then it'll very quickly end up being a gamemode with like 5 Legends played. However they can possibly implement the extra lives in regular BR? Maybe just one extra life and change res times to 3.5 seconds instead of 5/6 whatever it is now?

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Fun crazy high octane fights. The downtime is reduced by like 90% and you can have games wherever you're fighting for like 19 minutes straight.

It's also great because it allows you to just have fun, not care about dying and keep on trucking.

It needs work because if it was permanent then it'll very quickly end up being a gamemode with like 5 Legends played. However they can possibly implement the extra lives in regular BR? Maybe just one extra life and change res times to 3.5 seconds instead of 5/6 whatever it is now?

Exactly. And if people don't like it - just don't play it! No harm no foul.

I'm seeing more like a mix of 10 legends ā€” and I've been playing for hours every day since it came back.

It's mostly:

Lifeline, Octane, Mirage, Newcastle, Maggie, Caustic, Rampart, Horizon, Wraith, Pathfinder in my games. Someone does usually pick Lifeline, but that's fine ā€” Lifeline is Apex's version of Mercy from Overwatch, who was like the highest pick rate of any hero in that one.

Even if the mode did widdle down the legend pool so people only picked the same 5 legends, maybe that's not even a bad thing at this point. The game is almost overkill with legends and abilities - a lot of which are redundant. So you get the 5 "core" legends - whatever that might be that evolves over time into a Three Strikes "meta".

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Three strikes would be tolerable without lifeline or Newcastle being available. Both of those just make the mode annoying as hell. I initially had fun with it but now doing the cups mode that's all you see. I just went back to ranked.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Just as a high level sentiment to the folks that responded to me, to clarify I'm not opposed to Respawn including a mode that encourages more action, or shifts the regular gameplay away ranked a little bit. I just think that, as it is right now, three strikes is really poorly implemented. The whole instant revive and HP is just silly.

It's not just the character classes it's also the weapons and the design of the game that it messes up. Nothing but a close range fight matters, and yes obviously Lifeline, Mirage and such are overpowered but that's just one of the issues with the mode. They need to figure a lot of things out before they consider anything like this entering as a permanant mode.

There are a load of modes in the game, with even less downtime than three strikes, though. I just had two back to back 4k+ games in control. You can't get quite as high damage in control but you get a much higher rate of engagment than even in three strikes.

And half of the knocks you get in three strikes don't even feel like proper fights. Sure you end up with 4000-10000 damage at the end of a game, but half of that is against someone that's been knocked revived over and over again. I don't think that's very interesting. You get a lot more proper action in the mixtape playlist.

I think the problems with three strikes are the res time and the fact that you can't thirst a knock. It's very abusable. I think maybe they could make it so that you can only thirst by using an exection? I think that would be very fair. Executions carry a huge risk and basically aren't used in regular play as a result.

It would make more sense if your team just had a cumulative or seperate life pool, rather than the current three strike system. Because if you are unrecoverable and out of the game, you can't revive until your other team mates die, which means your other team mates can get to end circle without you, and then die. That really doesn't work out very well because it creates scenarios where the best option is for your surviving team members to kill themselves, rather than to play it out. Otherwise they can hit the revive cutoff and be stuck alone.

I jusk think they need to experiment with it a bit more, rather than even considering putting this in as a permanant mode.

The game needs a permanent LTM playlist - I've been saying this for awhile. And in that playlist they should put Three Srikes and Straight Shot and when they get another LTM that's worth anything, throw it in there too. The base BR game and ranked are the same exact experience minus the ranked rules and matchmaking. It needs some alternative takes on the BR (not just TDM or Control, etc) and honestly, there's just no reason why they shouldn't do it.

In my experience, everyone I know only plays ranked. Pubs is there for almost no reason now. It's ranked or nothing. So these LTM's are literally the only other way to enjoy the BR in a new way.

I don't think the data they have supports that. When you look at the ranked playerbase it's really small. EA say they have 18 million monthly players, but if you look at the ranked engagement it's only 3 million, and 25% of those don't move out of rookie 4 (so probably just a game or two).

Just anecdotally, right now in my friends list, there are 14 people online and 2 of them are playing ranked. The thing about ranked is that people have this thought process around it where they don't want to play alone, and it's not the case that most people have a full squad to play with. Even though I do play ranked I don't play it alone, so I end up mostly playing other modes, and it's the same with my friends, none of us want to solo queue. It's also worth highlighting that none are playing third strikes and the queue times for third strikes are dreadful.

Last edited:

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Just as a high level sentiment to the folks that responded to me, to clarify I'm not opposed to Respawn including a mode that encourages more action, or shifts the regular gameplay away ranked a little bit. I just think that, as it is right now, three strikes is really poorly implemented. The whole instant revive and HP is just silly.

It's not just the character classes it's also the weapons and the design of the game that it messes up. Nothing but a close range fight matters, and yes obviously Lifeline, Mirage and such are overpowered but that's just one of the issues with the mode. They need to figure a lot of things out before they consider anything like this entering as a permanant mode.

There are a load of modes in the game, with even less downtime than three strikes, though. I just had two back to back 4k+ games in control. You can't get quite as high damage in control but you get a much higher rate of engagment than even in three strikes.

And half of the knocks you get in three strikes don't even feel like proper fights. Sure you end up with 4000-10000 damage at the end of a game, but half of that is against someone that's been knocked revived over and over again. I don't think that's very interesting. You get a lot more proper action in the mixtape playlist.

I think the problems with three strikes are the res time and the fact that you can't thirst a knock. It's very abusable. I think maybe they could make it so that you can only thirst by using an exection? I think that would be very fair. Executions carry a huge risk and basically aren't used in regular play as a result.

It would make more sense if your team just had a cumulative or seperate life pool, rather than the current three strike system. Because if you are unrecoverable and out of the game, you can't revive until your other team mates die, which means your other team mates can get to end circle without you, and then die. That really doesn't work out very well because it creates scenarios where the best option is for your surviving team members to kill themselves, rather than to play it out. Otherwise they can hit the revive cutoff and be stuck alone.

I jusk think they need to experiment with it a bit more, rather than even considering putting this in as a permanant mode.

I don't think the data they have supports that. When you look at the ranked playerbase it's really small. EA say they have 18 million monthly players, but if you look at the ranked engagement it's only 3 million, and 25% of those don't move out of rookie 4 (so probably just a game or two).

Just anecdotally, right now in my friends list, there are 14 people online and 2 of them are playing ranked. The thing about ranked is that people have this thought process around it where they don't want to play alone, and it's not the case that most people have a full squad to play with. Even though I do play ranked I don't play it alone, so I end up mostly playing other modes, and it's the same with my friends, none of us want to solo queue. It's also worth highlighting that none are playing third strikes and the queue times for third strikes are dreadful.

The mode that they've experimented with that is a faster action BR that you're describing is Straight Shot, which I also loved.

Edit: Three Strikes is essentially Respawn's answer to COD's Resurgence mode - although I think Three Strikes is way more fun because of the stupid TTK in COD.

On your very last point though ā€” Three Strikes queue times for me in NYC is instant. Every single time. So I don't know if that's a UK thing or not but the minute I ready up, the game gets me into a lobby.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The mode that they've experimented with that is a faster action BR that you're describing is Straight Shot, which I also loved.

Edit: Three Strikes is essentially Respawn's answer to COD's Resurgence mode - although I think Three Strikes is way more fun because of the stupid TTK in COD.

On your very last point though ā€” Three Strikes queue times for me in NYC is instant. Every single time. So I don't know if that's a UK thing or not but the minute I ready up, the game gets me into a lobby.

In the UK at least the queue times are actually insane much of the time, often 2-4 minute wait.

Are you playing alone? I think they factor teamplay in so it might be because they're trying to find a team of three. I've only played it with friends but our queue time is longer than ranked play.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
In the UK at least the queue times are actually insane much of the time, often 2-4 minute wait.

Are you playing alone? I think they factor teamplay in so it might be because they're trying to find a team of three. I've only played it with friends but our queue time is longer than ranked play.

I'll invite you to play a round with me next time I'm on and we can test it.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Really toxic teammates in 3 strikes tonight. Every couple weeks I take a break from instant muting people when the match starts, and it's always the same result. This is a fun silly mode and people still feel the need to tell their random teammates off.

I'm changing my settings so that no random teammates can send text or voice chat in-game from now on. I'm sick of pressing triangle at the start of a match and I don't want to be tempted to give random shitheads a chance.

LordFlash

Mar 24, 2023
Yep. Plat potato here and MM is instant regardless of solo q'ing or duo with a friend. Pretty balanced lobbies too. Cant complain.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I can't see the matchmaking experience surviving if they add solos and quads at the same time. The idea that they'd add both at the same time makes me think that it must be coming with some compromise.

What if, for instance quads actually replaces threes and you need to play ranked for threes? And solo replaces duos? Honestly half the reason duos is even played at all is by solo players who want a greater influence on the game than they have in threes (much easier to 1 vs 2 then 1 vs 3).

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So then it looks like the matchmaking is way longer for you guys since you're masters. I'm a plat scrub so it throws me in with the normcore lobbies.

Don't think it has anything to do with ranked though. I don't play ranked much anymore so I don't even get beyond plat/diamond.

Like right now I'm Plat 1 but I literally can't find another window to play before the split ends. Work, work conferences and social expectations with friends and family leave me without much time and in the time I do have I can't even guarantee I have anyone to play with.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Don't think it has anything to do with ranked though. I don't play ranked much anymore so I don't even get beyond plat/diamond.

Like right now I'm Plat 1 but I literally can't find another window to play before the split ends. Work, work conferences and social expectations with friends and family leave me without much time and in the time I do have I can't even guarantee I have anyone to play with.

Maybe it's the hidden skill level that is affecting the matchmaking then. Both you and Cocomelon are high skill players is what I'm saying - and they don't want you guys trouncing on lower level players in Three Strikes, which makes matchmaking take longer.

On another note, Fuse is absolutely OP in this mode. The knuckleclusters can finish off two fighting teams easily. And forget his ultimateā€¦.Hes basically a must play with Lifeline in this mode.

LordFlash

Mar 24, 2023
Wonder if they are holding off the big reveal for the LAN finals that is happening this weekend.

I know Rainbow Six used to do that a lot but I dont know if Respawn thinks of Apex as esports as Ubi did with Rainbow Six.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if they are holding off the big reveal for the LAN finals that is happening this weekend.

I know Rainbow Six used to do that a lot but I dont know if Respawn thinks of Apex as esports as Ubi did with Rainbow Six.
They've sometimes announced stuff or teased things during ALGS yeah. It's certainly possible.

We are getting the official release of the Stories from the Outland video tomorrow regardless though:

View: https://x.com/playapex/status/1785323501055783383?s=46

Last edited:

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
I know 3 strikes doesn't count towards your stats. But I really don't want to drop hot with four other squads. Especially if my teammates are wraith and pathfinder.

Jul 27, 2021
United Kingdom
Me and my mate was duo'ing 3 Strikes, he was Horizon and I was Lifeline and we were doing pretty damn good. But then there was situations where it would've been better if we had a Newcastle instead. So the next game he chose Newcastle and I chose Lifeline and we had a great Horizon on the team. We all proceeded to drop 5k and no idea how many kills. The Horizon was great because she kept sticking the rez over and over.

The key is this: As SOON as you're down, rez. Literally you've got 1 second to hit that rez button. Especially if you're rezzing a LL or NC. Because as SOON as they're up they're tapping the rez on your downed body. Ive had games where its our team LL, NC and other legend vs their LL, NC and other legend and we can spend a good minute or two just constantly rezzing and fighting within the smallest area of space. its so much fun and so stupid. I love it.

Also a rumour is that Duos is now going to disappear (for 6 weeks) and Solos will replace it (?!?!?!?!?)

No Quads next season :(

bry

Oct 27, 2017
the black and red flatline reactive color looks dope
i'm going to prolly be a part of the problem and cop it šŸ„²