Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the dumb comments the CEO has said, some lackluster PC ports and making a Valkyrie game that's still fun but doesn't play at all like the old Valkyrie games... Why is there so much irrational hate for Square Enix?

I hope Forspoken is at least decent, I really liked the combat in the demo.
console wars

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Can we not conflate concern over reviewer's lack of access and the issues surrounding that with chud narratives, they aren't connected at all.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
I hope it's decent. This makes me side eye the game, yes, but not as much as the absurd system requirements.

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
Outside of the dumb comments the CEO has said, some lackluster PC ports and making a Valkyrie game that's still fun but doesn't play at all like the old Valkyrie games... Why is there so much irrational hate for Square Enix?

Here's another one for you: SE commit to invest more on NFT in 2023.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Reviewers will have to just buy a copy if they want to review it. Anyway, this is such a nothingburger issue, I'm sure there are tons of reviewers that don't receive review codes for various games from various companies and we don't hear about it. The only reason this is such a "big" deal is because so many people want this game to fail because a woman "talks too much".

Nobody wants this game to fail. What are you on about?

Dust

C H A O S
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So there won't be any site outlet reviews? Only streamers got codes?

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida

Inconsistent pricing models, multiple moneyhats, NFTs. I like square (I've probably bought like 80% of all their releases the past few years), but there's loads of reasons to at least side eye them. Mediocre pc ports and inconsistencies on which ones are good, let alone great, are good reasons to be cautious of them in that space too.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Reviewers will have to just buy a copy if they want to review it. Anyway, this is such a nothingburger issue, I'm sure there are tons of reviewers that don't receive review codes for various games from various companies and we don't hear about it. The only reason this is such a "big" deal is because so many people want this game to fail because a woman "talks too much".

What absolute nonsense is this? This is a big deal because the more major outlets who review the game before release, the more informed the end consumer is. It's a pretty major deal if outlets who always get review codes suddenly don't.

And we have consumers defending the publisher basically soft-censoring pre-release feedback on their games.

People also complain when games have release-day review embargoes. It's disingenuous to pretend people are only speaking up because they want this game to fail.

Funkelpop

Sep 2, 2022
Question: Has there ever been a game where the reviews came out only a day or so before release and it ended up being an amazing or a good game?

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey let's give em a break, maybe there's a code shortage, you can't just like... make a code.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Question: Has there ever been a game where the reviews came out only a day or so before release and it ended up being an amazing or a good game?

Yes, many. Review embargo day before release is typically standard and not exactly atypical. It's not usually reflective of quality of the product. Review embargo many many days in advance of release usually indicated confidence in the product though. The more sus thing here is seemingly no PC codes, and far more limited reviewers, though Square has done this before with games even like KH3.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What absolute nonsense is this? This is a big deal because the more major outlets who review the game before release, the more informed the end consumer is. It's a pretty major deal if outlets who always get review codes suddenly don't.

And we have consumers defending the publisher basically soft-censoring pre-release feedback on their games.

People also complain when games have release-day review embargoes. It's disingenuous to pretend people are only speaking up because they want this game to fail.
It's not. There are alot of people shitting on the game at every moment and they want the game to fail and using this as justification of anything negative.

There's nothing wrong with waiting for reviews and should square give copies out earlier. sure that would be great but it doesn't seem like they are so people should just wait and see.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
It's not. There are alot of people shitting on the game at every moment and they want the game to fail and using this as justification of anything negative.

There's nothing wrong with waiting for reviews and should square give copies out earlier. sure that would be great but it doesn't seem like they are so people should just wait and see.

Some people wanting the game to fail does not mean it's not bad that Square is intentionally excluding certain major review sites before release. Conflating everyone who criticises this move with chuds is some BS.

Criticising this kind of thing is not new, nor is it limited to Forspoken either.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it is some misunderstanding between key distribution and reviewers. I wouldn't conclude yet that the game tries to conceal reviews or something. Always remember gamer rule number one: never preorder and wait for reviews. If it takes a little longer, well so be it.

ozumas

Born to be Wise and Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 15, 2020
What I don't understand is... if you have delivered a demo prior to released date, have let people try the game why suddenly be affraid of reviews?

People that are skeptical about the game and have played the demo aren't going to ignore this, and people that will buy the game no matter what reviews won't matter for them. Even so, you have to be pretty confident the ones you gave reviews code will actually do a decent reviews about your game.,

I recall something related happened when CP2077 launched, and yea many reviewers gave the game 9-10 but there people hadn't played the game a bit, now you have a demo available (at least for PS5), what is the point?

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
This PC port is about to be a disaster? Well, I bought it - I guess we'll be playing it at the same time as reviewers. Feels like the reception is going to be middling at best, but I am excited!

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
This is just one single game. Luminous Productions doesn't seem like they have that many employees compared to other AAA studios. Even if it fails, they'll just close that studio and life will go on for them.

Luminous is indeed pretty small compared to other studios. I was genuinely taken aback by how short the development staff credits were for XV. At something like 150 employees they're like 1/2 to 1/3 the size of many other AAA studios, and like 2-3% of Square Enix's total workforce.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
With FFXIV, nope. They can keep releasing bomb after bomb (dunno why), FFXIV will keep them afloat
Because they are not releasing bombs after bombs. They are releasing a lot of games of varying budgets and some of them are bombs. I doubt Balan Wonderworld and Baylon's fall or Chocobo GP had budgets even close to big enough to sink SE. Even Forspoken probably has a lot of its risk mitigated by being in a PS exclusive deal.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What did he say?

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I want this game to be good but this is making me glad my parents are coming in the day after it comes out so I'm going to try to withhold buying it until they are gone (they already threatened to take away all my devices while they are here... course I for my part want to child lock Fox News from them). So I doubt they would be happy if I gamed at all while they are awake so it would just torture me anyways. So maybe by a week I'll cool down or I'll get definitive impressions that will get me to cool off the game (Even the demo's combat annoying me hasn't made me not want the game... I just keep wanting it to be somehow I'm just not getting the hang of it).

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty much every game Nintendo published over the last few years had embargo dates set at best 2-3 days before launch. Also as otheers mentioned Rockstar usually has very late embargo dates and that even included GTA V on PS4 / Xbox One back then despite everyone knowing the quaility of the game before thanks to the PS3 / 360 versions.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
The confirmation bias is strong in this thread.

That said I feel for the devs. The PR and marketing for the game has not been great with many unforced errors on their end. Like as if those teams are purposefully trying to tank the game. I know I would not be thrilled with the marketing and PR if I was working on the dev team.

Which is a shame because everyone who has gotten their hands on the game are kinda singing the games praises and having a good time with the game. Hell, many of the impressions from people who got it early say they are enjoying even the story a ton and intrigued with the world and lore.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This will be the game that puts sqaure up for sale
From what I remember, Luminous Productions was established independently from the company so all they would do is reshuffle the studio back under them properly and probably make it a write off or something.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yeah reading between the lines, you may want to hold off purchasing the PC version. It's always better to wait for reviews anyway…

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Doom 2016 had an embargo until the day of release and people were convinced it was gonna be dog doodoo. Then it came out and everyone was like "holy shit this slaps"

Although I guess that's maybe a weird one to count here since Bethesda had that whole thing where they intentionally refused to give reviewers pre release copies of any of their games for a while until enough people yelled about it

JhOnNY_HD

Dec 13, 2020
The embargo date doesn't matter at all.

Sending late the game is the problem.

The last fire emblem was send to review almost a month before

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The confirmation bias is strong in this thread.

That said I feel for the devs. The PR and marketing for the game has not been great with many unforced errors on their end. Like as if those teams are purposefully trying to tank the game. I know I would not be thrilled with the marketing and PR if I was working on the dev team.

Which is a shame because everyone who has gotten their hands on the game are kinda singing the games praises and having a good time with the game. Hell, many of the impressions from people who got it early say they are enjoying even the story a ton and intrigued with the world and lore.
Confirmation bias vs personal bias. Feels like both are butting heads here.

I know you feel a lot of loyalty to this studio because you worked on FFXV but I really don't think the marketing team is sabotaging anything. It's fairly standard marketing for a larger title by SE's standards. Overall SE needs a marketing overhaul because they don't know how to market games, period, but larger titles like this have been given the best they could.

And many of those "tons" is a handful of people from my observations. I'm sure there are plenty of people excited for this game but writing off criticisms and standing on the opposite end of the spectrum of absolute praise isn't really fair for this game that has gotten a mixed bag of reception by people who have played the demo. Allow people their opinions, bad or good or wherever they fall.

The fact of the matter is that SE has limited reviews for this game. Why they have? Who knows. It could be to control the narrative when the game releases, to get ahead of potential bad reviews, or because they genuinely just lagged on getting copies to people. It's worrying, though, so people will extrapolate based on past experiences and history. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that when it's a practice typically associated with a company's lack of trust in a game's performance.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I feel like this may just be some weird situation at Square, since it's not uncommon for them. The demo was definitely in rough shape and still kind of a weird way to represent the game after the patch, but I doubt the delay in sites getting keys is strictly them not having faith in the product. There is enough marketing and support for the game for them to at least get review copies out for an embargo that is already basically launch-aligned.

Nobody wants this game to fail. What are you on about?
You can't be serious with this reply. Go look at threads on almost any forum, reddit, twitter, even comments on instagram / youtube for this game.

Really fucking annoying that some people act like racism and sexism suddenly just don't exist.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
How did they expect this to be a new pillar of the company while treating it like this? I hope the game turns out alright, but this does not spur confidence.
Same way Atlus expected Soul Hackers 2 to become a new pillar for them. Great minds think alike.
giphy.gif