• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
What reason did this game get delayed for, again? You'd expect a live service game would at least frontload some stuff planned for the "service" part of the game, and if it's looking this anemic, this thing is triple dead.
Didn't they delay the game a whole year so they would have lots of content ready for post launch support? How is their first season so barebones?
No, they delayed it to rip out the gear score system and add polish. This content release was probably always the plan.

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
That motion comic looks atrocious. Given the effort in the main game curscenes I'm guessing the budget for dlc was drastically slashed.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way they actually planned this season to be so anemic before the game flopped. No way they really thought this would hold players interest.

And why the heck they made you have to grind shitty missions to get to play as Joker? I played one of them and only gained 1 level of the 35 levels you have to do to unlock him. Ain't no way. Im not ever booting this back up I don't even care about playing as Deathstroke anymore.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
They obviously knew what to expect once the game is out and readjusted accordingly when they started working on the live content.
But you don't start working on the live-service content only after your 1.0 launch. Or if you do, you have just... fundamentally failed the assignment.
Like I play Star Rail for example which is currently in its first anniversary update, which is the second part of a big new 2.x storyline in a big new world and during their last dev stream they said they were already working on this half a year before 1.0 even released!
Maybe I'm just spoiled by Hoyoverse games, but my understanding of making a successful live-service is that you absolutely have to already massively invest in a content-pipeline before your 1.0 is out. If you wait until after release, to gauge the success and how much you are willing to invest into it going forward, you have already failed because you cannot increase teamsize and content output fast enough in case your game is successful
You can still scale up further based on success, but this will only be felt by players in ~year 2 and after, your year 1 plan still needs to be good enough regardless.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
There is new 'story' to introduce Joker to the team.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CoBxYKYQ_60&t=3h27m38s

Starts at the 3 hour 27 minute 38 second mark, if the link doesn't work.

The thing I still find most baffling about this game is the UI design. Not sure what they were smoking when designing that.

Iu3cEsI.png

hMb4vzu.png

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
But you don't start working on the live-service content only after your 1.0 launch. Or if you do, you have just... fundamentally failed the assignment.
Like I play Star Rail for example which is currently in its first anniversary update, which is the second part of a big new 2.x storyline in a big new world and during their last dev stream they said they were already working on this half a year before 1.0 even released!
Maybe I'm just spoiled by Hoyoverse games, but my understanding of making a successful live-service is that you absolutely have to already massively invest in a content-pipeline before your 1.0 is out. If you wait until after release, to gauge the success and how much you are willing to invest into it going forward, you have already failed because you cannot increase teamsize and content output fast enough in case your game is successful
You can still scale up further based on success, but this will only be felt by players in ~year 2 and after, your year 1 plan still needs to be good enough regardless.

It honestly feels like Warner Bros expects live services to be easy money, as if it isn't an oversaturated cutthroat environment where every single new GAAS game has to ruthlessly establish itself against already established titles that are all competing of limited audience time and money. And even if Suicide Squad did everything right and was higher quality with quicker content drops than the competition, the success is still up to luck and whims of the trends audience is into this year (or just this month).

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm so confused by this.

I thought the entire point of the DLC was to add additional story to the game. And this has zero new story missions?

Xuxa Fan

Apr 30, 2023
It honestly feels like Warner Bros expects live services to be easy money, as if it isn't an oversaturated cutthroat environment where every single new GAAS game has to ruthlessly establish itself against already established titles that are all competing of limited audience time and money. And even if Suicide Squad did everything right and was higher quality with quicker content drops than the competition, the success is still up to luck and whims of the trends audience is into this year (or just this month).

So there's no remote chance of Rocksteady ever being able to rival Insomniac's handling of Marvel? I feel DC has all the advantages going for it to be as competitive as Marvel, whether it be films, cartoons, and games. Hard to grasp how Rocksteady abandoned the successful single player formula of Arkham trilogy and went with a multiplayer looter shooter.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
So there's no remote chance of Rocksteady ever being able to rival Insomniac's handling of Marvel? I feel DC has all the advantages going for it to be as competitive as Marvel, whether it be films, cartoons, and games. Hard to grasp how Rocksteady abandoned the successful single player formula of Arkham trilogy and went with a multiplayer looter shooter.
Well Gunn's dumbass plan here on out is to make movie tie in games for DC. So good luck with that. I wonder how long Zaslav will tolerate these loses. Rocksteady being significantly downscaled would be a such a terrible but natural outcome...

Feb 16, 2022
Well Gunn's dumbass plan here on out is to make movie tie in games for DC. So good luck with that. I wonder how long Zaslav will tolerate these loses. Rocksteady being significantly downscaled would be a such a terrible but natural outcome...
Gunn has repeatedly said any DCU-related games will not prevent non-DCU games from being developed. The problem here is who's pitching and greenlighting games. WB's game side has suffered for years, suddenly blaming Gunn for their problems is nonsensical.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Gunn has repeatedly said any DCU-related games will not prevent non-DCU games from being developed. The problem here is who's pitching and greenlighting games. WB's game side has suffered for years, suddenly blaming Gunn for their problems is nonsensical.
His mandate is still nonsensical and dumb and going to get studios closed.

He's not the only culprit but adding even more cooks, who have zero idea about gaming, to this kitchen will surely go over great. I am not sure why past stupid decisions should shield his dumb decisions from criticism.

Xuxa Fan

Apr 30, 2023

That is a stupid roadmap, that being having the games tied in with the games. It reminds me of Activision tethering their Transformers games to the Michael Bay films. I liked 'War' and 'Fall of Cybertron' and I feel a part of its broad appeal among players was that it was independent from the films. The Activision TF games that followed sucked when the company mandated these tie-ins.

Feb 16, 2022
His mandate is still nonsensical and dumb and going to get studios closed.

He's not the only culprit but adding even more cooks, who have zero idea about gaming, to this kitchen will surely go over great. I am not sure why past stupid decisions should shield his dumb decisions from criticism.
What "mandate"? Where's this "mandate"?

Unless somehow you've found out all the games that have been greenlit and are in development, I don't know why you could be so sure of what's going on based on Gunn's comments.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I remember a trailer from some months ago that showed cutscenes with the Joker as part of the first season. So those were ditched or do those come at a later date, like in a mid season update?

Edit:
Looks like those are in the game actually:

www.youtube.com

Suicide Squad Kill The Justice League Joker All Cutscenes Full Movie

Suicide Squad Kill The Justice League Joker DLCNew Clips 2024!Subscribe To Gameclips To Catch Up All The Best Clips.Gameclips always brings you the best full...

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022
I am just going by what he has declared in public. If he walks it back and this stupid shit is not put into practice then great. But clearly him and WB management don't deserve any benefit of doubt.
Okay, so no mandate. Just pure assumptions on your part. Saying "we want video games that would exist within the DCU" by no means imply that there's a mandate that any DC game developed from here on out will just be movie tie-in games.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Okay, so no mandate. Just pure assumptions on your part. Saying "we want video games that would exist within the DCU" by no means imply that there's a mandate that any DC game developed from here on out will just be movie tie-in games.
They release one freaking game every half a decade. What the hell else does it actually mean? Even a cursory thought beyond blindly buying into PR would tell you this. They are not going to be blunt about it in public, lol.

If you just want to be a fanboy and blind to the obvious then sure, go ahead. This option should not even exist in the first place.

Feb 16, 2022
Dude they release one game every half a decade. What the hell else does it actually mean? But even a cursory thought beyond blindly buying into PR would tell you this.

If you just want to be a fanboy and blind to the obvious then sure, go ahead.
Let's just ignore the numerous development troubles we've seen reported from WB's game studios in the past 10 years, then. Surely those wouldn't explain the number of games they've managed to release in that time frame, huh?

You're the one blindly buying into the "we'll make movie tie-in games" PR, which wasn't even what was said. We have no idea what games they're even developing right now.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Let's just ignore the numerous development troubles we've seen reported from WB's game studios in the past 10 years, then. Surely those wouldn't explain the number of games they've managed to release in that time frame, huh?

You're the one blindly buying into the "we'll make movie tie-in games" PR, which wasn't even what was said. We have no idea what games they're even developing right now.
Got it. I am going by what is currently available public information, you're going by your hopes and dreams. So after Gunn's dumbass decisions manifest we can revisit this. Nothing else to say for now.

Feb 16, 2022
Got it. I am going by what is currently available public information, you're going by your hopes and dreams. So after Gunn's dumbass decisions manifest we can revisit this. Nothing else to say for now.
So which is it? First you tried saying that going by what is the currently available public information is "blindly buying into PR", now you're saying me putting more thoughts beyond the available information is "going by my hopes and dreams"? lol that's very convenient.

Here's the situation. We know WB has been mishandling their entire gaming arm for around a decade at this point. We know even the dev studios have been struggling to develop projects that they feel confident with. Now they have new owners, and one person has finally been appointed to steer the wider franchise for the first time in a while. So he said, "hey, maybe we'll have games set up in the movie's universe". He also said "but those won't be the only games we'd be making". Maybe his plans will work out, maybe it won't. But the pressure's even more on them now, leadership has shifted, and logically the way things have worked in the past 10 years would be reexamined and potentially change. But we literally have seen and heard nothing yet. See, this is what "putting some thought beyond blindly believing PR" would mean.

Also weird to preemptively call Gunn's decisions "dumbass decisions" when the first project for the wider franchise he's working on has barely started filming. But I know some fanboys have had it out for Gunn since he "changed teams", so I'm not surprised anymore by the blatant vitriol he's been getting in the past year for every little thing he says or does.

DesVoeux

Dec 16, 2023
People need to stop comparing this game to Avengers, because that game had a wealth of content in comparison. (Also, it was comparatively a hit.)

Feb 16, 2022
People need to stop comparing this game to Avengers, because that game had a wealth of content in comparison. (Also, it was comparatively a hit.)
On a gameplay level, I'd put this above Avengers still. Avengers had some pretty deep combat mechanics but awfully-designed encounters, on top of how sluggish the controls were. The maps were really flat and uninspiring, too, on top of being a chore to navigate if you're not Thor or Iron Man. I wish they had just made a single, sprawling NYC map like this game's Metropolis. I spent a crapton of hours in that game but looking back I couldn't say I was having any fun--I just wanted the cosmetics, and they were really stingy and greedy with it until they finally unlocked everything for free.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
On a gameplay level, I'd put this above Avengers still. Avengers had some pretty deep combat mechanics but awfully-designed encounters, on top of how sluggish the controls were. The maps were really flat and uninspiring, too, on top of being a chore to navigate if you're not Thor or Iron Man.

Exactly.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
They can't even get the 1 in game joker cutscene to work properly lol

I bought this on release and I actually enjoyed the campaign mostly solo, however as soon as I hit endgame I had no desire to repeat the content over and over so I pretty much dropped it to revisit when season 1 started.

To find out I have to grind again just to get joker killed any interest I had so I'll be trading it in as quick as I can .

mgfanjay

Apr 9, 2022
I got the deluxe thinking I would at least do some coverage out of it but...no it was just so boring

Harmen

Aug 30, 2023
I wonder if the lack of a success meant a skeleton crew continued to put in the Joker, but the actual planned content was not completely finished or something. For me it is hard to believe this was the original plan/roadmap.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this trend of putting a talented studio known for single-player games on a GaaS project they're woefully unprepared to support dies with this game. It happened to Crystal Dynamics + Eidos and now it's happening again.

I just don't believe a studio as small as Rocksteady can compete with the likes of Respawn, Bungie, Riot and Epic when it comes to pumping out seasonal content. Why even bother competing with juggernauts like that?

I'd assume because the publisher wants a GaaS, with all the money that that brings, without looking at the rest of the market and just how hard it is to make a successful one.

Seems like a parallel with Naughty Dog, no? Sony wanting a GaaS game, ND being one of their premier studios gets tasked on the game despite it being out of their wheelhouse. Things wind up not working out so well and they realize that the game will take more to support than they had bargained for. The difference is Sony opted to cancel the game instead of push it out vs WB pushing it out (with a big delay).

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
The ironic thing is that if WB/DC really wanted that badly an answer to Guardians of the Galaxy, Doom Patrol would have been a far better option than Suicide Squad.
I'm pretty sure the first Suicide Squad film being a massive success made Warner Bros gravely overvalue to value and pull of the IP back in 2016, since it has turned out that it indeed was just a fluke.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Seems like a parallel with Naughty Dog, no? Sony wanting a GaaS game, ND being one of their premier studios gets tasked on the game despite it being out of their wheelhouse. Things wind up not working out so well and they realize that the game will take more to support than they had bargained for. The difference is Sony opted to cancel the game instead of push it out vs WB pushing it out (with a big delay).
I am not sure the analogy with ND is perfect. By all accounts ND wanted to do standalone Factions themselves, and there was no directive. Unless there is some new reporting that I missed.

Even with Suicide Squad there was some reporting that Rocksteady wanted to make a MP game. It's entirely possible that the studios want to expand, they see the players (and money) gaas brings in. It's not always as straightforward as evil publishers.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Absolutely. I wanted to mention ND too but Sony cancelled the project and moved on. Something WB should've done to KtJL years ago.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020

They, the studio, wanted to do something different after a decade of Batman games. Per Schrier, they were making an MP shooter in their own new IP before Warner told them to make a Suicide Squad game.

I am not sure the analogy with ND is perfect. By all accounts ND wanted to do standalone Factions themselves, and there was no directive. Unless there is some new reporting that I missed.

Even with Suicide Squad there was some reporting that Rocksteady wanted to make a MP game. It's entirely possible that the studios want to expand, they see the players (and money) gaas brings in. It's not always as straightforward as evil publishers.

100 times this. Anthem, Redfall, Suicide Squad... yes the publisher wants money and might lean into GAAS, but by and large the idea to do a big MP thing came from within the studio itself (I recall Harvey Smith being mentioned a lot for Redfall).

coldzone24

Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Isn't this basically what happened with Anthem? Promises of a "constantly evolving story" then releasing a wet fart of nothing?

I feel like the experiment of trying to an evolving story, for free, with high quality content is just a dead end. It is simply asking too much of the devs and is a very risky business proposition. I'm not a fan of Destiny, but I think smaller, less story focused updates in-between larger, paid DLCs is the smartest way to do this kind of game.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Did Rocksteady say in an interview or something that this is the game they wanted to make? I don't see how it could be possible but I feel like I recall seeing that somewhere?

I doubt anyone at Rocksteady would say in an official interview prerelease that this isn't the game they wanted to make and they really wanted to make something else.