Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Huh. Hopefully someone just randomly tries the new Pro on the old keyboard.
I know the old keyboard has worked on every model since 2018, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if they ever so slightly repositioned the magnet arrangement just so it won't stick on the old keyboard.

If they really want to be annoying they changed the position of the connectors so the Logitech Combo Touch also won't work. (and I just found a special M4 version of that on the Apple website)

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rare Apple website error spotted

www.apple.com

Select iPad Keyboards

Shop Keyboards for iPad. Enjoy a great typing experience on a full-size physical keyboard—with a durable cover. Buy now and get fast, free shipping.

Says "From $349" for the Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro, when it should say "From $299" to account for the 11-inch version being $299.

3qXMgIt.png

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know the old keyboard has worked on every model since 2018, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if they ever so slightly repositioned the magnet arrangement just so it won't stick on the old keyboard.

If they really want to be annoying they changed the position of the connectors so the Logitech Combo Touch also won't work.

That's the thing, the new Logitech is backwards compatible to the M1 and M2 Pros as well, so they must be at least a similar position. So hoping so!

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
That's the thing, the new Logitech is backwards compatible to the M1 and M2 Pros as well, so they must be at least a similar position. So hoping so!
Nice. So assuming then that the old one is forwards compatible, as well?

But again, that one doesn't work with magnets, so, could still be the magnets even if connector is in the right place.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I'll be able to report compatibility each way on Wednesday, not selling my 2018 iPad Pro or its keyboard. I expect the camera hole to be the incompatible part if the Logitech can be backward compatible. Though I'm sure at least one review will mention it later today.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Got an 11" Pro, but now I'm wondering if I should've gotten the 13" instead. Picking it up from the Apple Store on Wednesday.

It was surprisingly hard to decide between the sizes.

ArtTeitlebaum

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
My 2017 Pro is on its last legs. Dying to know what I buy Wed.

Air seems more than enough for my needs(YouTube, Era, comics, books), but giving up better screen and refresh rate…I'm torn.
I'm in the same situation. 2017 Pro that is a wreck and I'm also undecided if it is the new 13 Air or a nice discounted M2 Pro. Decisions, decisions...

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got an 11" Pro, but now I'm wondering if I should've gotten the 13" instead. Picking it up from the Apple Store on Wednesday.

Honestly, a whole ass $300 difference is pretty big if you're undecided based on size alone. $300 is practically an entire other new base iPad.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
some people already got smart folio cases for the new pros and they don't stick to old pros. So magnets have been shuffled. Not sure how logitech got around that - maybe more magnets.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017

This is where I'm at too. I thought I wanted the 13" but I've been using my wife's 12.9 to get used to the size and I just keep thinking "this thing is ridiculous". The difference in using it in both hands between 11" and 12.9" is noticeable, and significantly better with the smaller iPad imo. Even using the tablet in bed for browsing, watching video, reading, anything, the larger one is big enough that I feel the need to prop it up with my legs or a pillow, while the smaller one I can easily hold for far longer without fatigue. The appeal of the larger one, to me, was as a do-everything device acting as a laptop replacement, as well as my multimedia machine. I want that screen but don't want the rest of the consequences that come along with it lol. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but I've only ever had the "standard" size iPad for significant amounts of time. I had a mini 6, and if the 7 is better than that I could damn near buy an 11" pro and a mini 7 for the same damn price as a 13" Pro. Plus, the 4:3 aspect ratio means that the difference between the two sizes when watching movies or TV isn't particularly striking.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, still undecided between Air 11'' and Pro 11''. Coming from my dying 2017 Pro.
Sure I'm only reading, browsing and occasionally playing on it, but given how often I use my ipad in a day…

That being said, while I waited to make my choice the delivery for the Pro slipped by 15 days. I'm overjoyed.
I guess I can still buy mine on amazon, but as a matter of principle and practicality, I would have preferred to make one big order to apple.

Oct 29, 2017
Please tell me you guys aren't talking about the USB C port on the left side of the hinge 😄 That was heavily advertised in the promo images and as a feature in marketing.
…I… am…
To be fair, I missed the promo image and marketing. I even got a lil USB-C splitter to have a device connected while I charge because I thought there was only one port…

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
If my work moved to a cloud based document system, I'd get one in a heart beat. I can even look past the lack of multitasking, but because our move to Office 365 is slow at best, I'd rather wait to see if there's ipadOS improvements.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to Wednesday!
arstechnica.com

M4 iPad Pro review: Well, now you’re just showing off

This tablet offers much more than you’ll actually need.
Unfortunately, the smaller iPad Pro still had an older-style LCD display. As balanced as it was, it couldn't hold a candle to the quality of the OLED screens found in iPhones and high-end TVs.
nah it don't
try again ars

actually this is my bad, but it's written really strangely. neither of last gen's pros had oleds

Oct 27, 2017
My 2017 Pro is on its last legs. Dying to know what I buy Wed.

Air seems more than enough for my needs(YouTube, Era, comics, books), but giving up better screen and refresh rate…I'm torn.

Yeah, still undecided between Air 11'' and Pro 11''. Coming from my dying 2017 Pro.
Sure I'm only reading, browsing and occasionally playing on it, but given how often I use my ipad in a day…
I'm in the same boat — my 2017 pro is on its last legs (battery is abysmal and I turned off promotion months ago to compensate).

I have decided I'm going to wait and see what Apple are planning on adding for iPadOS at WWDC but I'm likely going to go for the 11" Air.

My main things were M2, the new pencil and still having fast wired connectivity so as awesome as the new Pros are I can't justify committing the 300-400 extra

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017

I've had pretty much every iPad since the gen 2, and only upgraded (begrudgingly) to the 13" a few years back when the miniLED tech was exclusive to the larger size.

As someone who is rather large, works out, and doesn't mind heavy things (things like people complaining about the Steam Deck weight will always be odd to me), I could never quite vibe with the larger iPad Pro.

It's just a bit... unweildy. Even with big hands, sitting on the sofa or propping it up in bed always felt like a compromise in my comfort.

Ultimately, if you're debating, I think I can make the decision pretty easy:

If your iPad will become a primary computing machine and you intend to replace your larger laptop most of the time - leveraging things like the Magic Keyboard regularly - then the 13" is worth the splurge as the extra screen real estate and larger keys make general use much more "computer like."

If your iPad is a complement to your laptop or primary computing device and will be used as an extra device for laying in bed, taking on the plane, bringing to an airport, or reading in a comfy chair or on your sofa, then the 11", IMO, makes more sense.

Bonus option: you're made of money and rock a 13" and a Mini.

FWIW: I'll be "downgrading" from two generations of the 13" to the 11" now that the screen tech is at parity.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I've had pretty much every iPad since the gen 2, and only upgraded (begrudgingly) to the 13" a few years back when the miniLED tech was exclusive to the larger size.

As someone who is rather large, works out, and doesn't mind heavy things (things like people complaining about the Steam Deck weight will always be odd to me), I could never quite vibe with the larger iPad Pro.

It's just a bit... unweildy. Even with big hands, sitting on the sofa or propping it up in bed always felt like a compromise in my comfort.

Ultimately, if you're debating, I think I can make the decision pretty easy:

If your iPad will become a primary computing machine and you intend to replace your larger laptop most of the time - leveraging things like the Magic Keyboard regularly - then the 13" is worth the splurge as the extra screen real estate and larger keys make general use much more "computer like."

If your iPad is a complement to your laptop or primary computing device and will be used as an extra device for laying in bed, taking on the plane, bringing to an airport, or reading in a comfy chair or on your sofa, then the 11", IMO, makes more sense.

Bonus option: you're made of money and rock a 13" and a Mini.

FWIW: I'll be "downgrading" from two generations of the 13" to the 11" now that the screen tech is at parity.

Thanks for this. Been a 10.5" user for years and debating a 13" jump this round, but will consider the 11" instead and try in store first.

My iPad lives on my nightstand and rarely leaves the bedroom outside of rare carry-on bags for travel use on trips. Think 13" may be a bit large for my needs afterall too.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
I would want a 13" primarily for glorious comics, if I'm being honest
I don't know, matter of opinion obvs, but while I very much want an oled for the colors of my comics, I don't get the desire for 13''.
I mean I never lamented the size of comics on my 2017 10.5'' and 13'' seems really bulky for a device I have in hands a good quarter of the day.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the DP but do Ipads come with a power adapter in EU ?
On Apple.com they list only the Ipad and USB.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Interesting -- they weighed the 13" Pro with the Magic Keyboard and it weighs 2.6lbs/~1180g. My 2018 11" Pro with Magic Keyboard weights around 2.3-2.4lbs/1075g. An extra 100g of weight really doesn't seem like much. That also means the new 13" Magic Keyboard weighs as much as the 2020 11" Magic Keyboard.

It sounds like the reduced weight of the iPad itself allowed them to drop the weight of the Magic Keyboard, even with the aluminum face.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I think I can get another year at least out of my 13" 2018 Pro. Still feels like a brand new machine. OLED would be real nice though. I will proabably get 11" next time though since using the 13" feels a little crazy in bed...I usually keep my apps in smaller windows anyway since i have to balance it on my chest and it cuts off the bottom of the screen.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Adobe please give me full chad Photoshop instead of insisting upon the iPad only having baby Photoshop

macOS is just a copium dream but full Photoshop shouldn't have to be