Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, matter of opinion obvs, but while I very much want an oled for the colors of my comics, I don't get the desire for 13''.
I mean I never lamented the size of comics on my 2017 10.5'' and 13'' seems really bulky for a device I have in hands a good quarter of the day.

it definitely can be, but I had a 13" ipad when they first released them and it was pretty glorious for full pages. I can only imagine what it would look like on the oled. But back then the downside was definitely the weight/bulk, so the thinness and weight reduction sounds pretty awesome now.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
Excited to get mine tomorrow! I'm ready to get it in my hands and see how thin it truly feels. The reviews all say how insane it feels in your hands, being so thin.

Sep 14, 2019
There's no way it will work. The difference in the thicknesses is not trivial.
iPhonedo tested it, I'm afraid it's a no go both ways

youtu.be

13" iPad Pro M4 - Unboxing and Tests

M4 iPad Pro is here and in this video I unbox the brand new 13" iPad Pro, compare it to 12.9" iPad Pro, run some tests and comparisons. I also talked about m...

3:09 here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khxd74sVwtQ

Ah man… I really wanted this new keyboard 😭

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So I know they cut down on the specs for the smaller storage options but I'll be good with a 13" 512GB, right? I'm aiming for that with the Pencil Pro and the Magic Keyboard and that's obviously already pretty damn expensive so I don't really want to spend even more for the 1TB if I can help it.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I know they cut down on the specs for the smaller storage options but I'll be good with a 13" 512GB, right? I'm aiming for that with the Pencil Pro and the Magic Keyboard and that's obviously already pretty damn expensive so I don't really want to spend even more for the 1TB if I can help it.

Will you be good this year? 100% yes to a comical degree, the difference might be objectively impossible to feel unless your workflow involves on-location film production levels of sophistication where you're tracking 3-4 different video feeds at once and you need to go back and forth between Final Cut and other similar apps.

Will you be good in 3+ years when iPadOS may or may not get more advanced? Yeah, it's still a fucking iPad, you'll still almost certainly be fine. There might be some cache switching between apps or whatever but it'll be fast.

Will you be good if the Wizard of Oz grants Apple enough courage to allow macOS to run on iPad? Okay then you might feel the RAM difference if you're running a couple or more professional applications at once, but this is the copium timeline. If this is what you hope for, then bring a handkerchief to WWDC to be ready for almost assured disappointment, but at least you'll be able to tell yourself that your RAM is fine.

I'm getting the 512GB too and I'm not even sweating it even a little bit. Worst case scenario for me is that I live in a magic timeline where macOS gets release on iPad, I'm running real for-grownups Photoshop, and I'm switching between a bunch of apps and I feel the cache load sometimes.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
I randomly went shopping for an iPad upgrade, I'm a musician and my 9th Gen iPad has been incredible for sheet music. My eyesight isn't getting better and I want to go bigger, the last few times I checked the 12" Pros were well out of my price range. I was beyond pleased to see a Big-ass 13" Air is releasing this week! I'm fully onboard and plan to trade in my 9th gen in a few days.

I have some questions:

I'm thinking 256gb will be enough? what are the most common uses for higher storage on and iPad? 80% of my use will be loading .pdfs into ForScore, I'll use it for FTL and Stardew Valley, I'd like to stream my steam deck to it and I'll probably upgrade to a pro pencil for doodling in procreate. If there are compelling reasons for higher storage I'm not thinking of I'd love to hear them.

I have an aging PC that I use for very basic image and video editing (small projects like posters and cutting together clips, other than that it's a Youtube/Restera Machine. I do all my gaming on steam deck. I'd like to make the Ipad my resetera/youtube machine instead but I don't think I can move away from my two-monitor setup after so many years. But I also think between the Deck and maybe if I got a magic keybaord I could make it work for me?

Also what about a case? It's likely to get knocked around so I'll want to put something heavier on it and definitely a screen protector

edit: I'm currently using 32gb on my 9th gen so I think that answers the storage question

Last edited:

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
Speaking of Wizard of Oz type shit, what are the odds that at WWDC or something similar Apple would (assuming it was even in the cards) announce something like a dual boot option? I just want hopium.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Well, before I trade in my 12.9 inch 4th gen pro, will marvel unlimited still display full pages on the 11 inch? Or will I have to move around?

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Wizard of Oz type shit, what are the odds that at WWDC or something similar Apple would (assuming it was even in the cards) announce something like a dual boot option? I just want hopium.

something negative number , why would they put a MacOS on an M4 Ipad? no one would buy the Macbook lol

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, reviews basically confirm an upgrade from a 2018 is basically pointless unless you're struggling with something. Even then, I'd still have impulse bought one if it wasn't for the absurd keyboard price.

Sucks they moved the magnets for whatever reason. Obviously wasn't to accommodate the camera change since it's there for the Air. But if they hadn't have done that, then they'd have gotten a purchase from me most likely. And there's even stock left at my local Apple Store.

Really hope the rumoured big changes at WWDC happen.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just realised the 13" air + keyboard is basically the same price as the M3 MBA; and the 13" pro + keyboard is the same price as the 14" MBP M3. All very similar performance, 8GB ram, 256GB storage - you're just choosing based on use case effectively.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have ordered both an ipad pro 13 for myself, and an ipad 10 for my wife. Both trading in previous devices. Today one trade in pack arrived but it just has an address label on and I can't tell easily which one its for - can't see an order number matching my order. Is there a way to tell which is which?

I'd guess this one is for the ipad 8 becuase that was due to be delivered today (I bumped to tomorrow as I wasn't going to be at home), but I don't want to mix them up.

Also I have the original box for the ipad pro (and the shipping box it came in) can I just put the sticky label on that for extra protection or do I have to use their less secure cardboard sleeve?

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, I don't even understand what power adapter to buy for a Pro 11"

I was going to buy that 30W one, as it seemed it would charge faster, but I'm not even sure it's compatible and if I should buy a special USB cable.
www.apple.com

Adaptateur secteur USB-C 30 W

Avec l’adaptateur secteur USB-C 30 W Apple, rechargez votre MacBook partout. Commandez en ligne et profitez de la livraison rapide et gratuite.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018

I was going to buy that 30W one, as it seemed it would charge faster, but I'm not even sure it's compatible and if I should buy a special USB cable.
www.apple.com

Avec l’adaptateur secteur USB-C 30 W Apple, rechargez votre MacBook partout. Commandez en ligne et profitez de la livraison rapide et gratuite.
Doesn't it use the same thing as every other apple and android product?

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

www.apple.com

In the US the 20W charger comes in the box, but it can support faster charging than that. I saw in one of the reviews it goes up past 30. 37 I think? I would get the 30W personally.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

www.apple.com

USB-C cable and at least a 20W charger. You can restrict the "charging essentials" category by device to make it easier…

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Then why is there and USB-C cable 60W and a 240W one.
What is the one in the box ? 60W I suppose. What's the point of the 240W one ?

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017

www.apple.com

Do yourself a financial favor and buy a ugreen charger on Amazon:

Previous iPad Pro's charged between 30 to 35W max, so any charger over that is useless to you. Anything under that will charge slower. None higher or lower will break your iPad, it will charge with whatever the maximum it can do and the adapter can provide.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Hm, still looking for the perfect case for my new iPad Pro 11".
Need a case that not only covers the corners.

I was considering getting ESR's Rebound Magnetic case, which looks similar and is a fraction of the price. There's also a flap to cleanly secure a pencil which seems reassuring to have, but I don't know how strong the magnets for the pencil are when attached. Maybe it's a non-issue. Just wondering, am I missing something about Apple's folio case with regards to price? Or is it just the first party aspect?

That looks cool thanks for the tip. There is a first party aspect, but the added viewing angles with magnetic stops sounds amazing both functionality wise but also for just playing around snapping it in different positions 😂
Being able to move around the iPad in the case sounds interesting, but why would I do that if I can just move the whole iPad/case? Speaking as someone who does that when reading manga and whenever there's a two page spread I switch the iPad from portrait to landscape mode.

Last edited:

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My insanity kit arrives tomorrow: 13" 1TB + Pencil Pro + Magic Keyboard.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
iPhonedo tested it, I'm afraid it's a no go both ways

youtu.be

13" iPad Pro M4 - Unboxing and Tests

M4 iPad Pro is here and in this video I unbox the brand new 13" iPad Pro, compare it to 12.9" iPad Pro, run some tests and comparisons. I also talked about m...

3:09 here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khxd74sVwtQ

Ah too bad. I actually hoped that I could still use my old Magic Keyboard with the new iPad Pro. :/

Yeah, reviews basically confirm an upgrade from a 2018 is basically pointless unless you're struggling with something. Even then, I'd still have impulse bought one if it wasn't for the absurd keyboard price.

Sucks they moved the magnets for whatever reason. Obviously wasn't to accommodate the camera change since it's there for the Air. But if they hadn't have done that, then they'd have gotten a purchase from me most likely. And there's even stock left at my local Apple Store.

Really hope the rumoured big changes at WWDC happen.

Yeah, I was also convinced that I would finally upgrade from my 2018 iPad Pro to this new one, but now I'm not so sure anymore. The increased prices and the need to rebuy all your accessories make it a pretty steep upgrade price overall while the benefits mostly seem to amount to a "well it's still an iPad and does the same things" basically.

If I could reuse my old Pencil and Magic Keyboard I would have impulse upgraded, but spending an additional 550€ just to get the same accessories I have now and throwing out my perfectly fine old accessories seems excessive.

They really need to show something convincing at WWDC for me to upgrade.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah too bad. I actually hoped that I could still use my old Magic Keyboard with the new iPad Pro. :/

Yeah, I was also convinced that I would finally upgrade from my 2018 iPad Pro to this new one, but now I'm not so sure anymore. The increased prices and the need to rebuy all your accessories make it a pretty steep upgrade price overall while the benefits mostly seem to amount to a "well it's still an iPad and does the same things" basically.

If I could reuse my old Pencil and Magic Keyboard I would have impulse upgraded, but spending an additional 550€ just to get the same accessories I have now and throwing out my perfectly fine old accessories seems excessive.

They really need to show something convincing at WWDC for me to upgrade.

Yeah, if I could use my old magic keyboard, that was going to be my justification to YOLO it. I mean, technically the old one might still work with a little bit of masking tape…. 😂

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, still looking for the perfect case for my new iPad Pro 11".
Need a case that not only covers the edges.

Being able to move around the iPad in the case sounds interesting, but why would I do that if I can just move the whole iPad/case? Speaking as someone who does that when reading manga and whenever there's a two page spread I switch the iPad from portrait to landscape mode.

https://www.esrgear.com/products/ipad-air-5-4-and-pro-11-rebound-magnetic-keyboard-case-360-esr/

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Trying to compare prices… so the 6th gen 12.9" started at $1099 and now 7th gen starts at $1299?

but you get double the storage now in the base model?

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, if I could use my old magic keyboard, that was going to be my justification to YOLO it. I mean, technically the old one might still work with a little bit of masking tape…. 😂
Those are some pretty damn strong magnets, you'll be needing a lot of duct tape to get that to stick.

I remember because I once tried to do this with an iPad 11-inch on a 12.9-inch Magic Keyboard for shits and giggles, just to see if it would work.

For the record, it did work for the few seconds I got the connector to line up properly.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
if the trackpad is the same as the macbooks, that should mean its a lot quieter right? thats perhaps the most annoying thing about the current magic keyboard - CLACK CLACK CLACK every time you select something.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Even if the magnets weren't an issue, it won't close properly and I would be worried about damaging the thinner iPad.

if the trackpad is the same as the macbooks, that should mean its a lot quieter right? thats perhaps the most annoying thing about the current magic keyboard - CLACK CLACK CLACK every time you select something.

Yep. All the reviews state the loud click is gone.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The verge needs to get that video review out!

Yep! I missed their video review of it this year. I watched Dave2D's review and I'm very surprised he got the cable thing wrong (13" only has the black USB-C cable when the 11" gets it as well - Apple just provided him an 11" iPad Pro in silver so it came with the standard white cable).

Can't wait to pick mine up tomorrow from the store!

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Yep! I missed their video review of it this year. I watched Dave2D's review and I'm very surprised he got the cable thing wrong (13" only has the black USB-C cable when the 11" gets it as well - Apple just provided him an 11" iPad Pro in silver so it came with the standard white cable).

Can't wait to pick mine up tomorrow from the store!

That video was not great. I mean, was it even a review? It was mostly just him discussing his own needs. Pretty useless.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That video was not great. I mean, was it even a review? It was mostly just him discussing his own needs. Pretty useless.
Could be worse. I saw some of iJustine's review marketing points regurgitated.

I did see her at the most critical of Apple she's ever been. She rolled her eyes because there was no sticker in the box!!