• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
He obviously fucked up and you can't blame Apple for firing him. I'm sure he has learned his lesson and won't do it again. I just hope he gets a new job since this has gone public.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
He obviously fucked up and you can't blame Apple for firing him. I'm sure he has learned his lesson and won't do it again. I just hope he gets a new job since this has gone public.

If he was good enough to work for Apple he should have no problem finding another job. I hope, for his sake and his daughter's. I hate reading stories about people losing their job.

BarryAllen

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this isnt an issue to be discussed he signed the nda he broke it. there is no "social justice" needed. its the rules of the contract hes lucky he wasnt sued by apple

avaya

Oct 25, 2017
London
The kid seems blissfully unaware of the seriousness of her fuck up. She seemed more interested in how many views she could generate.

Feel sorry for the guy but as was stated before, they pay you for your silence.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope you all get to sign as many as you like in the future.
What's wrong with signing NDAs? In the game industry signing an NDA lets a company show a prospective employee what they are working on before hiring them, or allows visitors, journalists and outside contractors access. In this case the guy got to take the phone home with him, that wouldn't have been able to happen without an NDA or a similar clause in his contract.

I mean you can hate capitalism all you want but I don't see how NDAs are the problematic part...

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are people mixing up NDAs and noncompetes?

NDAs are a necessity when working with projects like this.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As unfortunate this is, NDA's are legally binding documents that one cannot break.

Paradox House

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry guys but this is just Apple being a bad employer. Yes they sign a NDA but end of the day Apple want these phones used like normal so they can learn so something like this occuring is also very predictable.

The employee did not do it on purpose and clearly they would prevent it occuring again. Apple gain nothing from firing.

B3NB4IL

Oct 27, 2017
Warwickshire, UK
Apple are right to fire the guy for being so open to showing of the iPhone.

Originally on seeing the topic, I assumed the Daughter had nicked it and filmed a video, in which I would have felt bad.

Then I watched the actual vlog, and realised it was a vlog and he probably assumed that she would release her video post-launch, and felt bad for the guy.

But then I thought about how he still let her do it regardless, he may have had trust in her, he may have been enjoying owning the iPhone X and wanted to brag, but he should have just outright refused as it would be his responsibility and was aware of the NDA attached to it.

Imagine Christmas dinners now. "Here's a Samsung S3" - "Wow Dad, remember when you used to love me enough to get me better phones?" - "Remember when I had a job?"

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
I feel sorry for him I really do and if It were up to me I maybe would not have fired him, but the company I work for has similar rules and would not hesitate to fire someone for breaking these rules, so as crappy as it sounds Apple are well within their rights to fire someone based on breaking an NDA.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry guys but this is just Apple being a bad employer. Yes they sign a NDA but end of the day Apple want these phones used like normal so they can learn so something like this occuring is also very predictable.

The employee did not do it on purpose and clearly they would prevent it occuring again. Apple gain nothing from firing.

But Apple does gain something in that it sends a message to be careful of violating your NDA, you can get fired for it. The next time someone is careless and violates their NDA, it could have a bigger negative result on the company. It's shortsighted to think this does nothing.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Did not do it on purpose? He was in the damn video. This isn't normal usage, or even forgetting it at a bar like that other employee many iPhones ago.

Proportionality, what is that? Is it tasty?

So they should sue him as well?

Paradox House

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But Apple does gain something in that it sends a message to be careful of violating your NDA, you can get fired for it. The next time someone is careless and violates their NDA, it could have a bigger negative result on the company. It's shortsighted to think this does nothing.

It happened in error and was not malicious. Im not saying no consequences but most employees arent going out their way to have a negative impact on the company. Just making them aware of what happened would probably lead to them making any changes required to behaviour.

As I say this is a predictable outcome and it wont be the last time it occurs. IMO the firing makes no change to that probability.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure the guy deserved to lose his job over it. From what I saw it's just his daughter playing about with the camera and showing the phone off by playing with menus and stuff. I think if Apple had just given him a warning that'd be fair enough but I do understand why they are so strict. The guy is definitely at fault though. He should know what the rules are and what he's agreed to. I don't think there'd have been any harm in letting his daughter use it at the cafe but he should've known the deal with her recording it. Maybe she could've waited until after release to put it up? I don't know.

I hope he gets another job without bother. We all make mistakes.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess her attempt at vlogger fame kinda worked out. Sucks for her dad, though. NDAs are pretty serious and I'm sure apple isn't fucking around with them after the whole gizmodo thing. Hopefully, this doesn't seriously affect his future job search and employers realize it was just a really bad fuck up, but it still looks bad.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"it's important to stress that this wasn't a garden variety iPhone X. As an employee device, it had sensitive information like codenames for unreleased products and staff-specific QR codes. Combine that with Apple's general prohibition of recording video on campus (even at relatively open spaces like Caffè Macs) and this wasn't so much about maintaining the surprise as making sure that corporate secrets didn't get out. Apple certainly didn't want to send the message that recording pre-release devices was acceptable"

This is the most important part.

She wasn't even supposed to be filming there yet she did it anyway.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
"Oh sure sweetie, feel free to vlog about this unreleased phone that says 'confidential' big and bold on the lock screen, I'm sure it's gonna be fine"

Deleted member 932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, how can you be dumber than that? (speaking about both the girl and the parent, who let her use the phone in the first place)

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure the guy deserved to lose his job over it. From what I saw it's just his daughter playing about with the camera and showing the phone off by playing with menus and stuff. I think if Apple had just given him a warning that'd be fair enough but I do understand why they are so strict. The guy is definitely at fault though. He should know what the rules are and what he's agreed to. I don't think there'd have been any harm in letting his daughter use it at the cafe but he should've known the deal with her recording it. Maybe she could've waited until after release to put it up? I don't know.

I hope he gets another job without bother. We all make mistakes.

I work with embedded systems, many of which are prototypes that are specialized for internal usage only. Releasing a recording like this is simply something you do not do. Ever. It's not some obscure gotcha. It's something plainly written out when you sign all the requisite legalwork before you're allowed to hear the broadest of details. It's something re-enforced with security procedures, something denoted on practically every piece of internal hardware, something reiterated on internal development webpages. I'm not trying to be vindictive, but there's a whole laundry list of rules that this employee is either somehow oblivious of (while somehow signing paperwork explicitly stating that they understand these rules), or is dismissive of.

Kyrandia

Oct 28, 2017
This is Apple... it has a long history of being overprotective of its launches. Don't know why the guy even gave the X to his daughter at all, he should have known the temptation would be there.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
It's that video which is like 1 minute and 30 seconds long? Totally not worth it. They barely showed anything. But it doesn't help that his father was showing it to other people and even using the phone's Apple Pay fucntion to pay for stuff.

I hope he can find a job soon, but his integrity must have been damaged. You just don't break NDA's like that, esp. from the biggest (tech) company in the world.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, it really says something about the glorification of consumer technology in today's society that;

a) He got fired for a first offence fuck up
b) So many of you are ok with this dude losing his livelihood for said fuck up

As people have said NDAs exist for good reason. This ain't it.

Last edited:

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

Apple has hundreds if not thousands of people doing the same that managed to follow the rules. It's a really simple rule as well. They can't let it slide.

Eh, it really says something about the glorification of consumer technology in today's society that;

Minimum wage workers get fired for ticky tack stuff all the time. It doesn't have anything to do with consumerism. It's not unreasonable to expect a professional to abide by an NDA. That's the entire point of signing one. That's why they have cause to fire him.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

As people have said NDAs exist for good reason. This ain't it.

Do we know if this was his first "Fuck up"?

Nope.

He broke an NDA, I feel bad that he lost his job but come on you don't fuck around with NDA's.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017

A contractor did something similar at my workplace. It included diagnostic codes that resulted potentially millions of pieces of customer hardware being compromised. The contractor was fired and sued to oblivion.

Sometimes once is enough.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A contractor did something similar at my workplace. It included diagnostic codes that resulted potentially millions of pieces of customer hardware being compromised. The contractor was fired and sued to oblivion.

Sometimes once is enough.
So this is nothing like that situation then?

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope.

He broke an NDA, I feel bad that he lost his job but come on you don't fuck around with NDA's.
There's room for nuance.

Tell my why NDAs exist and then tell my how this particular video contravenes any of those reasons.

It really wouldn't have been hard to send a company wide memo acknowledging this guy's mistake and emphasising the importance of adhering to NDAs and instituting a zero tolerance policy for further breaches.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
And this is not even getting into the fact that he had confidential information (meeting invites, notes with god knows what on it) in the video.

"it's important to stress that this wasn't a garden variety iPhone X. As an employee device, it had sensitive information like codenames for unreleased products and staff-specific QR codes. Combine that with Apple's general prohibition of recording video on campus (even at relatively open spaces like Caffè Macs) and this wasn't so much about maintaining the surprise as making sure that corporate secrets didn't get out. Apple certainly didn't want to send the message that recording pre-release devices was acceptable"

This is the most important part.

She wasn't even supposed to be filming there yet she did it anyway.

Yes this is probably the biggest issue. Just glancing at the clip the drop down menu alone might have been enough to get in trouble.
"Oh sure sweetie, feel free to vlog about this unreleased phone that says 'confidential' big and bold on the lock screen, I'm sure it's gonna be fine"

lol. That alone could have been enough also.

It's not about being ok with him losing his job, it's understanding the situation. He should have been more careful. Told his daughter not to put it in a video.

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the more striking metaphors I've seen for short term gains over long term losses.

My initial reaction is like a lot of other posters here; dude signed an NDA and it is a case of tough shit, but honestly this doesn't seem right when the phone is days from being in the hands of customers.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
There's room for nuance.

Tell my why NDAs exist and then tell my how this particular video contravenes any of those reasons.

It really wouldn't have been hard to send a company wide memo acknowledging this guy's mistake and emphasising the importance of adhering to NDAs and instituting a zero tolerance policy for further breaches.

Well, post-pending an NDA with something like 'except in instances where you personally don't think something bad will come of it' doesn't really work. The employee in the scenario you questioned the relevance of thought the little thing he made was neat and harmless, so they released it on the internet. Oopsies, I guess. Also, I assume their policy was already zero-tolerance, which is why he was fired.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's room for nuance.

I feel sad for him but there is no room for nuance in NDAs. I signed one for my current job and if I break it I will be fired.

It is easy to understand.

Gemeanie

Oct 27, 2017
SEA
There's room for nuance.

Given the history and organization size of Apple, it's more than likely this is one of the "further breaches", only it's brought to the internet because of the vlog. Didn't a poster mention hearing similar stories at workplace?

Nevertheless I hope the father learns from his mistake and lands on a new job.

Last edited:

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
The phone has already been demonstrated, and other Apple employees have already been seen using the phone in public.. firing him is pretty harsh.

edit: just read the bit about codenames and QR codes... yea the dad is an idiot lol.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I feel less paranoid about locking my work laptop when I am home. Company secrets must be kept.
I still feel sorry for the engineer.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
Hardly surprising given 1) Apple is very secretive and 2) Apple PR likes to control the narrative. (This of course applies to all companies, but Apple take it to another level)

Daughter and father broke the two commandments.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
There's room for nuance.

The entire purpose of an NDA is to remove nuance. It's to provide a clear and legally enforceable ruleset for what you can and cannot share. It is a contract between the company and you personally, with clear laid out consequences for violating the rules. By it's very nature there is literally no room for nuance.

This is also likely not the first time someone has broke NDA at Apple, but typically it's not so public when they do. Sometimes just mentioning something offhand to a sales person/engineer from another company and it somehow getting back to your boss is enough. I have no doubt it's happened before and they've likely all gotten the memo once already, if not multiple times.

I've signed a few specifically relating to cell phones as well, and the clear consequences of leaking information is "You're fired".