• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure this is not playing out how Epic intended. I wonder what Tencent is thinking right now.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to become slowly and slowly more difficult for Epic to position this to their fans as Apple's fault.

As consumers, they really only got what, a $2 discount? And that resulted in the app being pulled for over a year because epic decided to push this? It's not gonna be worth it to lots of people and they will wish Epic just stayed quiet

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can't even make up how badly Epic fucked up here, damn. Can't help but chuckle a bit.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
It's going to become slowly and slowly more difficult for Epic to position this to their fans as Apple's fault.

As consumers, they really only got what, a $2 discount? And that resulted in the app being pulled for over a year because epic decided to push this? It's not gonna be worth it to lots of people and they will wish Epic just stayed quiet
This additional information of it lasting a year is not an additional fault of Epic though, is it? Either it is a general rule then it should have been known for longer, or it is a specific action from Apple against Epic, in which case this specific action is on Apple.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If they reapply, are they even allowed to have the same Dev ID? Its possible even if allowed back they may be given a new developer ID and therefore can't actually update the previous fortnite and would require all users to download a completely new 'fortnite' app from the app store. That could cause issues
- obviously traction as people won't be able to update automatically you have to get them into the store so you will take a long time and likely lose a bunch of customers
- IAPs may not carry over. This could be messy if 'restore purchase' doesn't work because they're tied to a different account.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This additional information of it lasting a year is not an additional fault of Epic though, is it? Either it is a general rule then it should have been known for longer, or it is a specific action from Apple against Epic, in which case this specific action is on Apple.
It's on Apple yeah. But they wouldn't have done it if epic didn't push this. Consumers will go from seeing it as a brave stand, to an unnecessary battle that's causing a bigger loss because the situation wasn't that bad for consumers before that it was worth fighting against as if it would make some big change for them.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know that Epic expected things to escalate this much, but they were pretty obviously prepared for a drawn out fight, and chose to set it up. I assume they're gambling on the long term benefits of a favorable outcome over how much they're kneecapping Fortnite for the foreseeable future.

Interesting times.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
So in a way, it's a one year exclusive deal to exclusively keep Epic's dev account off IOS?

Nov 28, 2017
I'm surprised that it isn't perma.

Guess Apple still want that $9MN+ USD, of those $34MN USD monthly revenue of Fortnite on iOS, after all...

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Epic could have complied and fixed the issue with Fortnite before having their Dev Account terminated. They didn't. I can't say for sure it's policy to keep a Dev Account suspended for at least a year, but if it is, Epic is responsible for that separate from being responsible for Fortnite being taken down.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this sounds punitive and the court might not like that and strike it down.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Although I'm against Apple in this, it's amazing seeing them go guns blazing against Sweeney. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I don't feel like this would be considered punitive if it were done to some small time dev who broke the rules in an update and then adamantly refused to correct what they did.
Hard to say when no small time dev would have the resources to do the legal battle against Apple in the first place.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

You know, I won't respond much here. But if this is people's take? Then no wonder unions are crap in the USA. Oh no rich company fucks me over,my own fault for speaking up. Seriously Epic is being an asshole, but what Apple is doing here, is also what they do to smaller companies. And no it is not good.

But keep defending them, as they make your toys, like yesterday people making a really tasteless joke about slaves in concentration camps... And thinking it was a good thing for Apple. I'll bow out as I feel too strongly about his topic and don't wish to be banned over it. But please do know that Apple has done far worse than epic. And if this had been Microsoft, Tim Sweeney's earlier target, you'd be foaming at the mouth right now.

How do I know? Sweeney did so, a lot of fud about their store. And while some of it was fud, he also had some valid points. But then the consensus on gaf and later era was agreeing with him 100%.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I won't respond much here. But if this is people's take? Then no wonder unions are crap in the USA. Oh no rich company fucks me over,my own fault for speaking up. Seriously Epic is being an asshole, but what Apple is doing here, is also what they do to smaller companies. And no it is not good.

But keep defending them, as they make your toys, like yesterday people making a really tasteless joke about slaves in concentration camps... And thinking it was a good thing for Apple. I'll bow out as I feel too strongly about his topic and don't wish to be banned over it. But please do know that Apple has done far worse than epic. And if this had been Microsoft, Tim Sweeney's earlier target, you'd be foaming at the mouth right now.

How do I know? Sweeney did so, a lot of fud about their store. And while some of it was fud, he also had some valid points. But then the consensus on gaf and later era was agreeing with him 100%.
To be fair, comparing companies to people is part of the problem of labor rights. That companies fuck each other over has little to do with the relationship between a company and it's employees, and thinking the framing is the same is part of the problem.

ProtossX

Jul 24, 2020
Why wasn't this a permanent ban? Why would you want to continue doing business with a company taking you to court? Epic are trying to sabotage Apple with a smear campaign on top of that. The money you make from them just isn't worth it.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah this sounds punitive and the court might not like that and strike it down.
I dunno, punitive reactions would make sense given how flagrant the violation was and Epic's whole PR attack against Apple. Apple's countersuit is asking for punitive damages as well. Even if Apple is a monopolist that doesn't mean it has to roll over and accept any bad faith actions from its clients so I'm not sure the judge would strike this down. If Epic had only sued but not done this whole PR stunt then it would be a clear case of retaliation for something Epic should have the right to do (ask the court to resolve a dispute) but as they started with the whole flagrant TOS breach AND a vicious PR blitz there's plenty of reason besides the lawsuit to give them a one year ban over it.

DemonFox

Oct 29, 2017
Why wasn't this a permanent ban? Why would you want to continue doing business with a company taking you to court? Epic are trying to sabotage Apple with a smear campaign on top of that. The money you make from them just isn't worth it.

Money is worth everything for those companys. Just remember Blizzard and China. They don't care about people or anything. It's all about the money.
"You tried to screw us over? We'll let bygones be bygones if you start bringing us revenue again and behave in the future."

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because whether or not Epic are out of line, Fortnite is still more or less the second biggest game in the world.