Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the biggest self own in this industry since a looong time. Tim Sweeney fucked up.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Sweeney's brain fart of counting on angry 12 year-olds to push Apple around isn't turning out well? Oh my!

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Damn...Apple is ruthless haha. Don't mess with them.

Also I was wondering, instead of Epic doing this whole bafoonery, would it not have been possible for them to create a website where people can buy MTX for Fortnite regardless of their device?

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Apple continues to engage in the industry practice known as corpse fucking.

ill-allow-it-umslpk.jpg

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

Also I was wondering, instead of Epic doing this whole bafoonery, would it not have been possible for them to create a website where people can buy MTX for Fortnite regardless of their device?

From what I understand - you could. If you bought that currency on your PC it carried over to your mobile account. I could be mis-remembering though.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017

Probably, yes. Thing is people are more likely to impulse buy when the icon is right there in the app rather than going through external payment hassle, even if cheaper. Epic got greedy basically, everything else is a smoke screen.

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
Epic Fail.
Sorry, just couldn't resist
I also imagine that this must have made Unity Engine's year.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
lol, get fucked Epic.

Still not sure what the hell they thought was going to happen.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I mean... What the fuck did Epic expect ? Directly attacking Apple's income is a direct declaration of war.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Say what you want about Epic, but Apple twisted Epic's arm like this only strengthens the anti-monopoly argument in my eyes.

gzell60

Oct 26, 2017
Munich
It's funny how people seem to be rooting for Apple yet both companies are as despicable to me.
They were trying to pressure legal institutions by carefully setting up their entire marketing to generate public uproar. Maybe save the smear campaign next time and people will be on their side as well.

The way Epic has handled this is a complete and utter disaster and I really hope they take all the damage they could possibly get.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Epic willingly breached their contract with Apple, they had every opportunity to correct the breach while also still pursuing their anti trust lawsuit in the meantime.

They refused, these are the consequences.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
They were trying to pressure legal institutions by carefully setting up their entire marketing to generate public uproar. Maybe save the smear campaign next time and people will be on their side as well.

The way Epic has handled this is a complete and utter disaster and I really hope they take all the damage they could possibly get.

I don't feel sorry for them, but I also can't muster any enthusiasm for Apple as a company either 😕 Fuck em' both and just sit back and see what happens is my motto right now.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
They'd have been dumb not to expect such retaliation. Epic must have seen their loss of revenue coming for such a significant amount of time if they were really pulling this legal fight to obtain more open access on ios devices.

I still prefer Epic to pull in the win. I don't care how annoying or whatever Sweeney is.

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
I don't play Fortnite, will this lead to people who love the game to not buy new Apple Phones this fall and move over to Android or is this not a worry for Apple?

Deleted member 11796

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The classic result of a product getting huge and those who made it thinking they're captains of industry, not realizing it was due to luck and good timing.

Meanwhile, in reality, they're just fucking a chicken and wondering why everyone is looking at them funny.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Apple is sending a mensage to future companies try to pull stuff like this.

Which just proves they really should be more strictly regulated by governments, Epic may have done this to themselves but when such a large company like them don't stand a chance against Apple then absolutely no-one else does either. People may dislike Epic but this championing of Apple having so much control over other companies is just as terrible, it is not a good thing for consumers.

Oct 27, 2017
Why wasn't this a permanent ban? Why would you want to continue doing business with a company taking you to court? Epic are trying to sabotage Apple with a smear campaign on top of that. The money you make from them just isn't worth it.

I'm surprised that it isn't perma.

Guess Apple still want that $9MN+ USD, of those $34MN USD monthly revenue of Fortnite on iOS, after all...

It would never be a perm — they already said prior to the judge's ruling that they would have reinstated Epic/Fornite and all they had to do was remove the hotfix to re-comply with existing regulations. Then after the judge made the ruling they reiterated again that they would reinstate Fortnite if the hotfix was removed. I assume that not being able to reapply for 12 months if your developer account is removed but I would need to read the ToS in the apple developer agreement.

Jan 20, 2019
Which just proves they really should be more strictly regulated by governments, Epic may have done this to themselves but when such a large company like them don't stand a chance against Apple then absolutely no-one else does either. People may dislike Epic but this championing of Apple having so much control over other companies is just as terrible, it is not a good thing for consumers.

And will only continue to get worse and this companys will continue to grow, we are very close to reach Cyberpunk level of corporation.

crimilde

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 26, 2017
It's funny how people seem to be rooting for Apple yet both companies are as despicable to me.

I don't think people are actively rooting for Apple, it's just that the way Epic has gone about this whole thing is awful.

Sure, sue Apple but when you weaponise children, breach your contract by sneaking in your own IAP in a "hotfix", refuse to remove it, and then throw temper tantrums on Twitter and pretend it's not about money, you get what you asked for.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
This is like arguing with your dad after you get grounded.

But dad...

"Now it's two years before you can reapply for your dev accounts!"

That's unfai...

"Three years!"

What the...

"Four years!"

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't play Fortnite, will this lead to people who love the game to not buy new Apple Phones this fall and move over to Android or is this not a worry for Apple?
A question for the ages, really. Will people ditch Apple to continue playing Fortnite on mobile, or do Apple users hate Android that much?

Apple is obviously banking on their customers preferring their ecosystem than having Fortnite. We should also factor in ecosystem lock-in - I ditched Apple entirely about a year ago (sold all my Apple devices except for the 2012 Mini I use as a Plex server) and replaced them with alternatives. It was painful and more work than it needed to be, but I got it done. Other people may not feel it's worth it.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Most people will just buy a console to play Fortnite on than leave the Apple ecosystem, which I wouldn't be surprised if Tim is banking on this.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Most people buy iPhones as status objects (even if they don't admit to it). That's not gonna change because of fortnite missing.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Say what you want about Epic, but Apple twisted Epic's arm like this only strengthens the anti-monopoly argument in my eyes.

Yeah, get hit with an anti-trust lawsuit, behave like a monopolist. I'm starting to doubt these guys judgment. They are going about this the dumbest way possible.

Someone commented that they are sending a message to every other company out there. Just take a second and think how that might look to a judge in between your Sweeney-hate fueled gloating. I still think Epic is in the better position here.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, get hit with an anti-trust lawsuit, behave like a monopolist. I'm starting to doubt these guys judgment. They are going about this the dumbest way possible.

Someone commented that they are sending a message to every other company out there. Just take a second and think how that might look to a judge in between your Sweeney-hate fueled gloating. I still think Epic is in the better position here.
I've all but given up trying to have a conversation about this feud here. The overwhelming majority of people on this forum would rather see Apple become even more monopolistic, evil, etc. if it makes Epic/Tim Sweeney look bad. It's like they're blinded by how much they dislike Epic.