• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 397 63.7%
  • iPad

Votes: 451 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 540 86.7%
  • Watch

Votes: 372 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 410 65.8%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 312 50.1%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Been out of the Apple loop since iPhone 7 and I miss the ecosystem. The thing is that new iPhone's and iPad's got really fuckin expensive. Like a 1000 bucks for a phone or tablet? Crazy, especially for my Easter European reality. In the other hand my 4 year old iPad Air 2 still works with very acceptable speed and the battery lasts couple of hours after years of heavy usage.
iPad Air 3 isn't $1000

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Yeah, I know. But the only one I would like to have is the Pro 12.9 version as it can easily replace my laptop usage.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Not enough screen space for me and when I buy stuff, I always aim for the most recent, feature pack version. As for the prices iPhone XS Max is 1000 bucks in Poland while the Samsung Galaxy S10+ could be bought brand new for 650-700 dollars. You can say the the later is a better phone spec wise, yet the price have fallen drastically in just 3 months after release. If only iOS wouldn't demolish Android for me.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
So, there's no reason whatsoever to believe they might be announcing new AppleTV hardware tonight, right?

- If they wanted to, they'd have announced it during their AppleTV service event
- WWDC is not a hardware event
- The AppleTV 4k does everything a media playing device needs to do - 4K, 60hz, HDR, Dolby

Because i'll be buying an AppleTV "for my mom" today - gonna get the 4K, which i'm gonna replace my 4th gen 1080p one with, which i'm going to install at my mom's.
(I'm sharing my Amazon Prime and Netflix with her, so she's fine with paying for the new hardware and getting the not-quite-as-new as a handmedone. Especially, since i don't think their internet connection would even support 4K streaming.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, there's no reason whatsoever to believe they might be announcing new AppleTV hardware tonight, right?

- If they wanted to, they'd have announced it during their AppleTV service event
- WWDC is not a hardware event
- The AppleTV 4k does everything a media playing device needs to do - 4K, 60hz, HDR, Dolby

Because i'll be buying an AppleTV "for my mom" today - gonna get the 4K, which i'm gonna replace my 4th gen 1080p one with, which i'm going to install at my mom's.
(I'm sharing my Amazon Prime and Netflix with her, so she's fine with paying for the new hardware and getting the not-quite-as-new as a handmedone. Especially, since i don't think their internet connection would even support 4K streaming.

should be fine. there's been no rumors or anything suggesting a new model and the current model doesn't have any obvious (non-software) shortcomings.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What would they even add to a new Apple TV? HDMI 2.1, I guess?

the main thing i'd like to see hardware-wise is ditching the siri remote and implementing a microphone array into the box, along with being able to register multiple user voices, so that it can take voice control totally hands-free

basically make it work like a homepod (that requires a TV hookup)

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Apple TV being integrated into Smart TVs as an app recently?

I don't trust the apps on SmartTVs, they all suck.
I'd much rather have any Smart functionality on a dedicated device. Right now, my mom's using the 720p small black hockey puck that doesn't really have any apps and only controls via IR.
The bluetooth remote as well as a proper UI with decently maintained media apps is going to be lifechanging for her.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any actual liveblogs of WWDC happening anymore? Some of us want to follow at work without playing audio, lol.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Not on higher end TVs with good processors.
At least with LG and WebOS, Netflix is just as smooth, and I'd actually say Vudu, Amazon, and Youtube apps are better than my ATV 4K.

To be fair, the Amazon Prime app is equally garbage on every device.
Also, native smart apps aren't transparent with their multi tasking. Say, i watch a show on Netflix or Prime and there's breaking news. Now i watch 60 minutes of coverage among several channels. There is no indication of when and why my media playing app is flushed from memory.
Meanwhile, the AppleTV is still in the state i left it. And it's a single button press (albeit on another remote) away

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, only Netflix is what I'd call nice to use on my LG B7. The three others I often use - Youtube, Amazon Prime and HBO Nordic - are all terrible.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, only Netflix is what I'd call nice to use on my LG B7. The three others I often use - Youtube, Amazon Prime and HBO Nordic - are all terrible.

And AirPlay is way superior to that weird native "hand-off" onto the TV's Youtube app. (again, imho, and only based on my experience with my 2015 Samsung 4K SmartTV that runs Tizen. (JU series)

Add the fact that i can enter text and passwords on the AppleTV with my phone (no idea if any SmartTVs do that - my Samsung's kinda basic in that regard).

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Is there an Amazon Echo Dot-like device where I can use Siri with my existing bookshelf speaker for music playback? I got impatient waiting for an Homepod release date way back when and just got some bookshelf speakers but I'm limited to Bluetooth with them which kinda stinks.

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is petty as hell... but I called this back in 2017 when people were talking about the iMac Pro's price

Are people really waiting for Mac Pros to buy the "base model" though... really? Those things are still going to be multiple grands worth of hardware regardless of whether the 5k display is there or not. And not having a screen is going to open a door to options with a much higher pricing ceiling as well.

EDIT: it's just my observations — but when I read around various tech places, people just seem to have this holy grail image of the Mac Pro... and I just feel like people are setting themselves up for some kind of disappointment, but maybe that's just me...

Do people really think the Mac Pro will be cheaper than the iMac Pro?

I look forward to people's reactions upon the pricing disclosure, particularly for dual socketed options.

Feeling real vindicated right now. People were saying that the iMac Pro would be pointless because new Mac Pro would undercut it. There was no way Apple were ever going to position any version of the new Mac Pro below the iMac Pro.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to iPadOS impressions. Going back to school soon and an iPad may be just what I need.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I dropped something on my XS Max today and the screen protector it busted.
I'm like 99% it's just the screen protector and nothing happened to the actual screen but I'm still worried and I'm not taking it off till they have a replacement for the screen protector which will be a few days.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
PS4 remote play on my iPad instantly went from "not even gonna try" to "holy shit I need the iPadOS beta right now!" during this conference.

Also damn excited for dark mode and the photos tab. I love browsing all my photos, the daily and monthly views should be fun.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah DS4 support changes my whole outlook on iOS (and TvOS and iPadOS) gaming. I'll pay it a lot more attention. On that note, hope that the GTA games have controller support!

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping the Photos smart sorting stuff also actually recognizes in metadata whether it's something I took with my own camera or something I saved from Safari/Facebook/Twitter. Tired of having memes show up in my Memories slideshows, lol.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
So if I install the PB for MacOS and iPadOS (when they come out) will I be able to use screen sharing right away on my Mac? Does it require any extra hardware?

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Yeah DS4 support changes my whole outlook on iOS (and TvOS and iPadOS) gaming. I'll pay it a lot more attention. On that note, hope that the GTA games have controller support!
Good news -- they do! No word on if they'll need additional updates to support these controllers, though.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I think I can safely say that supporting the Xbox and PS4 controllers is not something that would've ever happened under Steve's leadership. This is definitely a different Apple.

I still think they should've designed their own controller though. I really would like to see what their industrial designers could come up with for a pro controller.

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Apple TV being integrated into Smart TVs as an app recently?
Samsung TVs.

So Samsung TVs get 4K iTunes movies... but if you own a Mac from 2017 or earlier (apparently, no matter how spec'd out) then 1080p and tough shit for you. I'm mad bitter about this.

1. A subscription is required for Apple Music.
  2. 4K, 4K HDR, 4K Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, and HDR10 content is available on all Mac models introduced in 2018 or later with 4K-resolution screens.
  3. Some services require a subscription
  4. Dolby Atmos is available on Mac notebooks introduced in 2018 or later.
  5. Some features require Sidecar-enabled apps.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would expect the API to translate Xbox and PS4 inputs into MFi inputs, right? So many games have MFi support but aren't getting updated anymore

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Music, Podcasts, TV, and Books are finally going to support Handoff in these releases.

Music handoff is clearly there from the iPhone to the HomePod (and back), but I'd really like confirmation that the feature is supported across more platforms. Handoff/Continuity have been around for a long time, and iTunes was responsible for blocking a *lot* of it, lol.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Samsung TVs.

So Samsung TVs get 4K iTunes movies... but if you own a Mac from 2017 or earlier (apparently, no matter how spec'd out) then 1080p and tough shit for you. I'm mad bitter about this.

1. A subscription is required for Apple Music.
  2. 4K, 4K HDR, 4K Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, and HDR10 content is available on all Mac models introduced in 2018 or later with 4K-resolution screens.
  3. Some services require a subscription
  4. Dolby Atmos is available on Mac notebooks introduced in 2018 or later.
  5. Some features require Sidecar-enabled apps.

LG 2019 lineup will have AirPlay and Apple TV support as well.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Yeah, it seems you're right. Apple TV app can be found only on Samsung TVs for the time being.

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
So I just recently got a MacBook Air a couple weeks ago. Any tips/applications/shortcuts I should know as a MacOS newbie?

Oct 25, 2017
So I just recently got a MacBook Air a couple weeks ago. Any tips/applications/shortcuts I should know as a MacOS newbie?
A good portion of these are paid applications.

Tweetbot for twitter
Reeder for RSS (I don't have the new version and the old one is fine by me)
1Password (whatever version isn't subscription based) for password management
Transmission for downloading Linux distros
4K Video Downloader if you want to download videos from Youtube
Backblaze for off site internet backup
Handbrake for making video files from your home blu-ray or DVDs.
iStat Menus to keep track of some machine performance
Moom for window management
Pixelmator for light photo editing

For tips: use Time Machine to backup your computer.
Shortcuts: Command+T creates a new tab in safari. Command+w closes a window or current tab. Command+z will reopen a closed tab.

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
Amphetamine and NoSleep.
A good portion of these are paid applications.

Tweetbot for twitter
Reeder for RSS (I don't have the new version and the old one is fine by me)
1Password (whatever version isn't subscription based) for password management
Transmission for downloading Linux distros
4K Video Downloader if you want to download videos from Youtube
Backblaze for off site internet backup
Handbrake for making video files from your home blu-ray or DVDs.
iStat Menus to keep track of some machine performance
Moom for window management
Pixelmator for light photo editing

For tips: use Time Machine to backup your computer.
Shortcuts: Command+T creates a new tab in safari. Command+w closes a window or current tab. Command+z will reopen a closed tab.
Thanks for the tips.