• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 398 63.7%
  • iPad

Votes: 452 72.3%
  • iPhone

Votes: 542 86.7%
  • Watch

Votes: 373 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 411 65.8%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 313 50.1%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't read too much into Gurman's take, just because he sounds like he's doing a "if I haven't heard about it, it's not coming" conclusion, and if Apple has been more successful in containing leaks then those details would be unlikely to show up for him.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well that is a relief, got back from a trip and put my clothes in the wash which happened to have my headphones in the breast pocket, and they are all good! Whew.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
I'm keeping my expectations low, but hope there's still more stuff left to be revealed cause based on Gurman's report that sounds more like an iOS 11.5 point update.

Would be a little embarrassing if a point update released the same week of WWDC had far more significant features (AirPlay 2, iCloud Messages) than their major annual release.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This time around I'm prepared to avoid the "that was it?" feeling. iOS and watchOS evolving in a way or the other is reason enough to be excited with stuff both shown on the keynote or only later found out about. Anything else is icing on the cake and there's another event around the corner anyway.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
They've already talked about this being a stability year though, so we shouldn't be expecting lots of fancy new features

I'd like to see the AirPods refreshed with the wireless case and AirPower finally, and surely MBP refreshes are inevitable even if just a CPU bump - and although cpu bumps can often be silent store updates I would expect Apple to spend some time talking about the performance because it is such a big jump over previous models

Aside from that I'm not expecting much. iPads feel too soon to refresh

Oct 25, 2017
I anticipated nothing from WWDC about hardware and I'll either be pleasantly surprised or content with being right. iPads in October, like always. Macs? Who knows.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in no rush to buy a new laptop at the moment (knock on wood etc) so waiting until October isn't bad for me. More time to save, computers theoretically get "better,", and my current laptop gets more out of life.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
They've already talked about this being a stability year though, so we shouldn't be expecting lots of fancy new features

I'd like to see the AirPods refreshed with the wireless case and AirPower finally, and surely MBP refreshes are inevitable even if just a CPU bump - and although cpu bumps can often be silent store updates I would expect Apple to spend some time talking about the performance because it is such a big jump over previous models

Aside from that I'm not expecting much. iPads feel too soon to refresh
I hope they sell the wireless case separately, and add a gesture to the current airpods for volume control.

Hoping for an se2 with no notch

Hoping for internal upgrades for macbook pros and the macbook getting a lower price to kill off the air, dont really care if theres a redesign.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Not if you have children in your house.
"Among those who don't, the most common response, by far, is that they don't use it because they're the parents of young children, and they fear that their kids will trigger the erasure of their phone.

I had no idea until I looked into it last weekend, but it turns out this feature is far more clever than I realized, and it's highly unlikely that your kids or jackass drinking buddies could ever trigger it. After the 5th failed attempt, iOS requires a 1-minute timeout before you can try again. During this timeout the only thing you can do is place an emergency call to 911. After the 6th attempt, you get a 5-minute timeout. After the 7th, 15 minutes. These timeouts escalate such that it would take over 3 hours to enter 10 incorrect passcodes."

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
I've had this enabled since it debuted, but I had no idea there were measures to protect it from accidental inputs. Everyone should probably use this.

https://daringfireball.net/2018/05/10_strikes_and_youre_out

Apple should probably explain this better, I'm part of the group that was scared to enable it out of the fear my 15 month old nephew would accidentally erase my stuff (got the 15 minute lockout once). But it seems like there's ample protection to prevent that kind of scenario from occurring. Gonna turn it on now that I know it's safe, thanks.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Apple should probably explain this better, I'm part of the group that was scared to enable it out of the fear my 15 month old nephew would accidentally erase my stuff (got the 15 minute lockout once). But it seems like there's ample protection to prevent that kind of scenario from occurring. Gonna turn it on now that I know it's safe, thanks.
Wow, same here.

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of thought about the next year in Apple for me.

I'm going to probably need a new Mac Mini, if they ever update them. That's 700 bucks.

My iPad is failing thanks to the strange bend that happened in my bag through no fault of my own. That's another 700 bucks (not counting cases or keyboard, another 100 easily).

I did get a brand new iPhone 6S+ a few weeks ago because the Apple store broke my old one, but it's still getting old in the tooth. I could maybe punt another year, but I really don't want to. That's like... a 1000 bucks.

And my iMac is getting old. I don't need to update it, but it is going to be more than 5 years old come December. That would be... well, I could go ludicrous and get a Pro.

Not counting maybe AirPods 2 (not this year, but next, let's be real). and I'm pushing three grand. (thankfully I have no reason as of yet to upgrade my Apple Watch)

What's the next year of Apple looking like for you?

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
I bought a 10.5 Inch pro nearly a year ago, with Applecare that doesn't expire until next year. I have no intension of gettin this year's Pro unless I get an insanely good trade-in. I bought an iPhone SE at launch and it is STILL snappy and, IMO, the best handset that Apple has ever made. I will get their next 4-incher should they make one this year though, and give this one to my mother. My 5K iMac will be 3 this November, but I plan on adding more RAM and keep it in service until at least 2020.

So this year, I'll maybe spend fewer than 500 USS after trades on Cupertino's consumer computing cultivars, if anything at all.

You know, this could be the first year in a long time where I don't buy any new Apple hardware at all. Other than the possible phone, the only thing that would make me buy something was a 4th gen Apple Watch that actually met all my needs.

Last edited:

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago

I'm going to probably need a new Mac Mini, if they ever update them. That's 700 bucks.

My iPad is failing thanks to the strange bend that happened in my bag through no fault of my own. That's another 700 bucks (not counting cases or keyboard, another 100 easily).

I did get a brand new iPhone 6S+ a few weeks ago because the Apple store broke my old one, but it's still getting old in the tooth. I could maybe punt another year, but I really don't want to. That's like... a 1000 bucks.

And my iMac is getting old. I don't need to update it, but it is going to be more than 5 years old come December. That would be... well, I could go ludicrous and get a Pro.

Not counting maybe AirPods 2 (not this year, but next, let's be real). and I'm pushing three grand. (thankfully I have no reason as of yet to upgrade my Apple Watch)

Selling my SE, buying a laptop after my PC sells, and get either the se2 or whatever comes out in sept. So maybe $1000 total after everything. I might not even get the laptop and just do everything through a new phone

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I bought two HomePods (with the intention of returning them) to try out the stereo pairing.

Holy shit. I'm blown away.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
is the MBP supposed to be permanently quite warm to the touch? I'm running a couple of apps (mostly chrome and safari with multiple tabs), but CPU usage is low (istat reporting around 10% usage), and the CPU cores seem to always be around 60c with the fan about 1500rpm. But the wrist rest and keyboard is warm, and the top surface above the function keys is pretty hot (thats less relevant though).

A lot warmer than my less powerful MBA was, and makes me want to use an external keyboard - but the screen is really nice so it seems a waste to use it in clamshell mode.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
MBP 13 non touchbar. Upgraded to 16GB ram and 512SSD but otherwise the basic one. Nothing big running - as I'm typing this in chrome the CPU is about 10% for the whole system, and the temp is reported at 54c. Its not uncomfortable but thats pretty much idling the CPU. and its a pretty humid day which maybe doesn't help

Baconbitz

Oct 27, 2017
IMO: kill the Lightning port on the iPhone, move entirely to wireless charging and accessories, and change the iPad to USB-C.

That seems like the correct and inevitable path forward for both product lines.
Plenty of people still have iPhones and iPads with lightning. I am still on a 6 plus. That would be a terrible idea.

Speaking of the iPad, if you have an iPad a keyboard of some sort is necessary. I don't know why I didn't buy one sooner.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
There are too many use cases for having one port for them to just get rid of all ports IMHO.

Data transfer is much better with a port.
External battery packs require a port.
Charging in the car, on a train, etc, would be largely impossible without a port.
Hooking up high def audio headphones not possible without a port.
If your install hangs, or your device dies, then how do you reinstall without a port?
Hooking up to a HDMI projector for a presentation requires a port to be reliable.

We need at least one port.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
There are too many use cases for having one port for them to just get rid of all ports IMHO.

Charging in the car, on a train, etc, would be largely impossible without a port.
If your install hangs, or your device dies, then how do you reinstall without a port?
Hooking up to a HDMI projector for a presentation requires a port to be reliable.

That's my main concern about a port-less device. Clearly they will have some secret support port like the Apple Watch but I really don't like the prospect of not being able to restore the phone at home. I'm always half-anxious when updating my Watch and Apple TV already. Not something that's no big deal around here where you have a two hour drive to the next Apple Store.

Oct 25, 2017

Yep. Wireless is the future and all but I can't see wanting a device with only one or two ports at this juncture.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA

For me it's already the most expensive Apple year in quite some time since I upgraded to a base model iMac Pro ($5,000) to replace my 2012 iMac. With my Discover card benefits I was able to get $500 back which helped a little.

Plan on upgrading my laptop (2012 MacBook Air) this year as well. Most likely the new MBP revision, though if they refresh the Air as rumored I might just go that route and save a lot of money. Even though my current Air is old as hell it doesn't really feel slow to me, I mostly just miss the more 'modern-era' features like retina display and Apple Watch unlock. And if I get the MBP it'd have TouchID as well. Just really hoping they address all the keyboard issues in this next revision.

iPhone is a yearly thing for me since I'm on the upgrade plan and it just makes sense. Otherwise I'd skip this year.

iPad with Face ID is very tempting but I am leaning towards skipping it, mostly cause of how much money I'll have already spent on Apple gear this year. From the rumors it sounds like 2019 will be a big iPad year in terms of software (redesigned home screen, file management features, etc) so I might just wait until then to upgrade. The 2019 iPads might end up having Face ID Gen 2 as well.

Skipping Apple Watch this year since it seems kind of meh. I got the Series 3 last year and that'll probably be good for another couple years.

I'll get the AirPower if that even still exists anymore, and the wireless AirPods case to go along with it.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
MBP 13 non touchbar. Upgraded to 16GB ram and 512SSD but otherwise the basic one. Nothing big running - as I'm typing this in chrome the CPU is about 10% for the whole system, and the temp is reported at 54c. Its not uncomfortable but thats pretty much idling the CPU. and its a pretty humid day which maybe doesn't help

You might try Safari -- it's more optimized on the Mac than Chrome is. The iCloud tabs and bookmark syncing between Mac and iOS, as well as iCloud Keychain support, make it a nice experience IMO, and no privacy worries from using a Google product.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

extremely few people plug their iphones in for syncing anymore. music, movies, photos, contacts, etc. all sync over the cloud now for most people.

you can plug a wireless charger into an external battery. i would not be surprised to see wireless charging batteries you can basically strap your phone to for in-backpack sort of charging. i imagine it would also be possible to basically make a phone case that you can plug in and doubles as a wireless charger if you really need wired charging

see above

apple has already decided the future of iphone audio is wireless, they do not care about this

i imagine they could implement over-the-air internet recovery as macs already have

plugging your phone into a projector for a presentation seems like a rather niche use case - people are still mostly making presentations on larger devices

i am not necessarily saying that *i* see things things way, just that i think apple sees things this way

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Apple thinks you should back up a 256GB Pro iOS device over iCloud? You know how long that takes and how often it messes up? And your forced to pay their ridiculous cloud storage rental prices
extremely few people plug their iphones in for syncing anymore. music, movies, photos, contacts, etc. all sync over the cloud now for most people.

you can plug a wireless charger into an external battery. i would not be surprised to see wireless charging batteries you can basically strap your phone to for in-backpack sort of charging. i imagine it would also be possible to basically make a phone case that you can plug in and doubles as a wireless charger if you really need wired charging

see above

apple has already decided the future of iphone audio is wireless, they do not care about this

i imagine they could implement over-the-air internet recovery as macs already have

plugging your phone into a projector for a presentation seems like a rather niche use case - people are still mostly making presentations on larger devices

i am not necessarily saying that *i* see things things way, just that i think apple sees things this way

People that do stuff like this professionally need a port: https://www.apple.com/iphone/photography-how-to/

Nobody wants to sync their RAW photos from your photo shoot over Bluetooth or WiFi or iCloud.

It may be not a mass use case but Apple uses it in their Ad campaigns.

Also iPad Pro needs a port or they need to stop calling it a "pro".

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Shoutout to Apple for continuing to support El Capitan with updates. My aging 2008 Mac Pro is stuck on it and it just got a security update and Safari 11.1.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
EverythingApplePro is a source for checking out how an iPhone looks like with a glowing Apple logo, not for leaks or actual news. Bottom of the barrel in the blogosphere.