• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 398 63.7%
  • iPad

Votes: 452 72.3%
  • iPhone

Votes: 542 86.7%
  • Watch

Votes: 373 59.7%
  • Airpods

Votes: 411 65.8%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 313 50.1%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice, maybe that means we'll finally get the News app over here...

Haha

Who am I kidding

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the plus size I phones ever since they came out.

What would I be missing if I dropped down to a SE2 size phone?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

I think the miniature keyboard and the loss of space for browsing stuff would be the main points for me (going by the assumption SE2 screen size = SE screen size). I can type much more comfortably on the 8 Plus (I upgraded from a 5S) and browsing the web is a completely different experience too.

Oct 25, 2017
Haha I love that the news icon is basically a fat version of the Dota 2 icon.

Dark mode would be nice, been waiting for a while (still run with the dark menu bar because it looks nicer.)

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
In addition to whatever enhancements Apple has planned for the HomePod to make it an actual fully-featured product, I think one of my most highly anticipated enhancements at WWDC may be the additional third-party app streaming and LTE capabilities Apple is rumored to be adding to watchOS.

I've had an LTE Series 3 Apple Watch since launch, and I have rarely used over 3MB a month using the watch. When I'm paying $13+ a month for Verizon for the Watch, it's really hard to justify the LTE connection.

Edit: Also, has anyone else had issues with Desktop Safari having issues loading threads with the new theme for the last couple of months on ResetEra? I've tried disabling all extensions, etc. that I use, but ResetEra has been slow and laggy as hell since the theme change, with certain posts in a thread failing to load completely. Any idea what I might be missing?

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
macOS system wide dark mode is honestly my #1 feature request, so halle fucking lujah

I hope it comes to non-X iOS devices too

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Was sitting beside a guy with a recent 15" rMBP... my 13" suddenly feels way too cramped. I think I'll be on the 15" train whenever they get updated.

Was slightly tempted by the Dell XPS 15 and the Lenovo X1 Carbon but after reading about the superfish crap with Lenovo and whatever the equivalent was with Dell, and how well this 2013 rMBP has lasted, I'm gonna just wait for the next Apple laptop I think.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I got a 13 and I want to go smaller. I bought the TB version just for Touch ID and the extra USBC ports.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone use their Apple Watch to unlock their Mac? My new mbp has the right OS finally so I tried it, but it is very unreliable - often just shows a spinner then makes me type my password. It worked a couple of times but hit rate is very low

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Edit: Also, has anyone else had issues with Desktop Safari having issues loading threads with the new theme for the last couple of months on ResetEra? I've tried disabling all extensions, etc. that I use, but ResetEra has been slow and laggy as hell since the theme change, with certain posts in a thread failing to load completely. Any idea what I might be missing?
Just started seeing the same issue, since the recent bugfix update. Random posts are invisible, but I can mouse over them to see the cursor change, so text and links are present even though I can't see 'em.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone use their Apple Watch to unlock their Mac? My new mbp has the right OS finally so I tried it, but it is very unreliable - often just shows a spinner then makes me type my password. It worked a couple of times but hit rate is very low

I use it all the time, both with my previous tb13" and my current 4K iMac. I've found it very consistent

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody think Apple will reveal the new redesigned Mac Pro?

They wouldn't have had a journo back a year after their April 2017 meeting about the pro team and clarified the new Mac Pro is coming 2019 in all likelihood if they were going to tease the next one at WWDC in a few months. Unless '2019' means 'we'll start shipping right at the new year'.

I'm of the opinion we'd probably see the new Mac Pro shipping by WWDC 2019 rather than another 'releases at the end of the year' because the clock is seriously ticking on people giving them the time of day in that market segment, but I wouldn't expect them to show anything right now either.

thebigcountry

Oct 28, 2017

Battery life. While a bigger display does use more power, you're still getting more battery life because more battery can be shoved into the bigger phone. The iPhone SE has an 6.21 watt-hour battery, while the 8 Plus has a 10.28 Wh battery. I went from having to use my portable battery daily with the 5S, to not having daily battery anxiety with the 6S Plus.
They wouldn't have had a journo back a year after their April 2017 meeting about the pro team and clarified the new Mac Pro is coming 2019 in all likelihood if they were going to tease the next one at WWDC in a few months. Unless '2019' means 'we'll start shipping right at the new year'.

I'm of the opinion we'd probably see the new Mac Pro shipping by WWDC 2019 rather than another 'releases at the end of the year' because the clock is seriously ticking on people giving them the time of day in that market segment, but I wouldn't expect them to show anything right now either.
The iMac Pro seems like a great workstation, except for users that need loads of GPU power. And I'd be surprised if any of those users are still on the Mac, given Apple's blood feud with Nvidia.

Oct 25, 2017
Battery life. While a bigger display does use more power, you're still getting more battery life because more battery can be shoved into the bigger phone. The iPhone SE has an 6.21 watt-hour battery, while the 8 Plus has a 10.28 Wh battery. I went from having to use my portable battery daily with the 5S, to not having daily battery anxiety with the 6S Plus.

The iMac Pro seems like a great workstation, except for users that need loads of GPU power. And I'd be surprised if any of those users are still on the Mac, given Apple's blood feud with Nvidia.

It's a great workstation for the people who just replace their workstations every few years. It doesn't really fill the niche (which may be admittedly small) of people who want to upgrade their workstations to take advantage of new I/O, storage, or GPUs, and at its price it's exceedingly high of a buy-in, even for pro hardware.

My hope is that with the iMac Pro covering a more specific niche Apple releases a more flexible workstation that hits more elements of the original Mac Pro with the next revision, but we'll have to see.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I thought I read that the iPhone SE had really great battery life, even with its physically smaller battery. It has a really efficient chip or something.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The iPhone SE has better battery life (and charges much more quickly) than the 6S Plus, with which it shares much of its internals, despite having a substantially smaller battery.

Anandtech said:
When Apple originally advertised that the SE has better web browsing battery life than the 6s and 6s Plus I saw some confusion from many people, but it's actually not a surprising outcome.

81637.png

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't asked this in a while, but should I be using iCloud for backups now? For reference, I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't use any google products because of security and privacy, and my backups in iTunes are encrypted (out of security and convenience because of all the extra stuff that gets backed up when the backup is encrypted). I know the iMessage cloud stuff is end-to-end encrypted, but how well protected are iCloud backs, and general iCloud stuff, from even Apple being able to read/see it? (If compelled in a court of law)

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't asked this in a while, but should I be using iCloud for backups now? For reference, I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't use any google products because of security and privacy, and my backups in iTunes are encrypted (out of security and convenience because of all the extra stuff that gets backed up when the backup is encrypted). I know the iMessage cloud stuff is end-to-end encrypted, but how well protected are iCloud backs, and general iCloud stuff, from even Apple being able to read/see it? (If compelled in a court of law)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202303

As far as I know, Apple can still give law enforcement access to stuff in an iCloud backup if compelled by a warrant

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202303

As far as I know, Apple can still give law enforcement access to stuff in an iCloud backup if compelled by a warrant

This paragraph, does it mean that theoretically it's possible to de-crypt your Messages if the iCloud backup is pulled since a copy of the key is stored there when this is enabled?

Messages in iCloud also uses end-to-end encryption. If you have iCloud Backup turned on, a copy of the key protecting your Messages is included in your backup. This ensures you can recover your Messages if you've lost access to iCloud Keychain and your trusted devices. When you turn off iCloud Backup, a new key is generated on your device to protect future messages and it is not stored by Apple.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else noticing their iPhone gets much warmer during camera use since 11.4? Temps haven't changed much around here but it gets really hot when using Scanner Pro (something I do on a nearly daily basis so I noticed it there immediately) and AR apps. Haven't recorded a video in the stock camera app yet tho

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
is there a decent free tool to check and optimize the performance on my macbook?

I'm not looking for miracles, just something to run once every now and then to check for unnecessary files and issues.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
EverythingApplePro is hit or miss. On the one hand I like seeing all the small changes between versions and reviews of products and the occasional benchmark race between versions. But on the other hand he does a lot of clickbait. A lot of reviews of Jailbreak features disguised as official updates that he only changes the title of the video when he's called on it (Has done this numerous times) and a lot of gushing about mockups that other people make that Apple will never make so why even bother. But of course he also passes those off as official Apple designs in the thumbnail and title and once again only changes the title when he's called on it.

What is "Misc Used Space"?

How do I get the Finder to accurately tell me how much space is on available on my SSD?

Thanks!
I had this problem. It's an APFS "feature". That space is snapshots. And it's really difficult to get rid of them. And APFS is supposed to trim them when they get too big but it doesn't seem to for me. I disabled it but it still uses like a bit of space for me. Also if you have Carbon Copy Cloner it has its own Snapshot feature but you can turn it off as well and delete the snapshots manually.

I ended up reformatting an entire 8TB hard drive and recloning everything to it before I realized this. And even with the snapshots turned off the drive still has an invisible snapshot somewhere taking up like 9GB. Makes clones between the two drives hard to tell if they're exactly the same because the snapshot doesn't get cloned so the two drives report different space usage.

thebigcountry

Oct 28, 2017
The iPhone SE has better battery life (and charges much more quickly) than the 6S Plus, with which it shares much of its internals, despite having a substantially smaller battery.

81637.png
Huh, the SE is the exception to the rule. NotebookCheck even had the SE's battery life on par with the 8 Plus when using the device. Battery life might be even better with an SE 2 since the A10 took a big jump in power efficiency.

also I miss Anand, even if he is part of the best CPU team in the industry now :(

Oct 25, 2017
This is an incredibly small thing, but shared calendars are amazing. I finally did one for me and my family and it's amazing how we can all add things and it just syncs up. I should have done this years ago. Now we know everyone's work and travel schedules and there's no need to constantly ask "are you off this day?" or "when are you flying into town?" Wonderful.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

I use a series 0 Watch with a 2016 MBP 15" and works perfectly as long as I'm within a couple feet of the Mac. Sometimes the Mac will disable Watch unlock under certain security conditions until you've retyped your password.

This paragraph, does it mean that theoretically it's possible to de-crypt your Messages if the iCloud backup is pulled since a copy of the key is stored there when this is enabled?

Probably so. I'd recommend anyone who is concerned about privacy and security to continue to store and encrypt device backups on their Mac instead of the cloud.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have a problem

I don't have a credit card but I could still purchase some free apps. 2 months ago I joined a family group so I could have Apple Music. Now I can't download free apps since the store asks me to update the info of my payment method and is asking me for the secret code of the credit card that is paying for the Apple Music. And I'm obviously not going to ask my friend which is the number of his credit card

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a problem

I don't have a credit card but I could still purchase some free apps. 2 months ago I joined a family group so I could have Apple Music. Now I can't download free apps since the store asks me to update the info of my payment method and is asking me for the secret code of the credit card that is paying for the Apple Music. And I'm obviously not going to ask my friend which is the number of his credit card

Easiest way around that (since the single credit card is required of family sharing) is to load your account with any amount of iTunes/App Store credit. That supersedes any payment method on file

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have an Anker USB-C dongle which provides 2 USB 3 ports, an ethernet socket and a USB-C input to pass the charger through. But when I connect my ipad via USB-lightning, it only seems to charge at 500ma. Are there dongles out there which will pass through the additional current that Macs can provide? Or will I have to use a USB-C to lightning direct from my macbook pro? Woudl prefer not to need yet another cable

JavyOO7

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have suggestion for a voice memo app on iPad? Apple doesn't have voice memo app on their iPad and only on iPhone. =/

Oct 25, 2017
So my TB rMBP 250GB SSD says that I have 76 GB available:

But GrandPerspective says that I have used 85.5GB and I have 78.6 GB of Misc Used Space:

What is "Misc Used Space"?

How do I get the Finder to accurately tell me how much space is on available on my SSD?

Thanks!

You can't, in that the Finder/different utilities don't necessarily count the same stuff. Snapshots take up space. There's also space that's currently utilized but can be purged and reused by something if necessary, and the system versus utilities will count that differently.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
You can't, in that the Finder/different utilities don't necessarily count the same stuff. Snapshots take up space. There's also space that's currently utilized but can be purged and reused by something if necessary, and the system versus utilities will count that differently.

I guess I should stop worrying about how much space I have left on my SSD. APFS snapshots make it hard to judge even if they make things faster.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I should stop worrying about how much space I have left on my SSD. APFS snapshots make it hard to judge even if they make things faster.

Yeah. If you're running low, it's a problem, but otherwise a few gigs here and there doesn't make a difference. I guess since I've regularly got tens of gigabytes that disappears for caching Photoshop files and open documents I'm used to not paying too much attention.