• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 395 63.8%
  • iPad

Votes: 448 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 536 86.6%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.5%
  • Airpods

Votes: 406 65.6%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 310 50.1%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell, first iOS 13 fucks up one of my most essential shortcuts and then it turns out they have removed the support for importing shortcuts via file (I do weekly backups)?? Thanks for nothing, how am I supposed to get it restored now? I sure as shit won't invest an hour or more to recreate it

E: Okay, asking my brother to add the shortcut to his iOS 12 iPhone via file and then sharing the link of that to me worked … what a clown show smh

Last edited:

Swimble_87

Oct 27, 2017
Hi folks, a tv app question that I'm hoping someone can guide me on - google hasn't helped so far!

In short, I'm trying to work out if the iPhone tv app has an equivalent of the music iCloud library for your own files, ie I can view my entire cloud music library and choose what I want to download to the device.

I have a number of tv shows (not purchased via apple) uploaded to the app, but cannot see them on my phone unless I manually drag and sync them through my desktop. This seems inconsistent- am I missing something and, if so, how can I fix?

Tips greatly appreciated!!

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I want to learn how to improve my internet on cell and at home.

At a buddy's place so we did a speed test on his s6 vs my iPhone X

He is getting 350/20 and I'm getting 200:20

What gives?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Is there really no quick and easy way of disabling mouse acceleration on MacOS? Shit's driving me crazy.

I had to download third-party software to make it happen. Don't recall what it was called, but because I ended up going back to the default on my MBP. It kinda screws with the touch pad. But maybe the software has improved since I last dabbled with it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Another question about updating: did I have to do something special or specific with Google's Authenticator app when switching to a new phone? I sort of remember some folks talking about getting it to work on a new phone was pain or something. My work 2FA is on it so it's pretty important it works lol.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Another question about updating: did I have to do something special or specific with Google's Authenticator app when switching to a new phone? I sort of remember some folks talking about getting it to work on a new phone was pain or something. My work 2FA is on it so it's pretty important it works lol.
If you're setting up the new phone from an iCloud backup you'll be fine. If you're setting it up as new you need a way to copy Authenticator's settings over. I don't use that app (for precisely that reason) and prefer authenticator apps with cloud sync.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
If you're setting up the new phone from an iCloud backup you'll be fine. If you're setting it up as new you need a way to copy Authenticator's settings over. I don't use that app (for precisely that reason) and prefer authenticator apps with cloud sync.

Got it, so I should just make sure my iPhone 8 is backed up in the cloud and when I'm setting up the new phone, choose to restore from an iCloud backup during installation? That's not too bad, but yeah, definitely something I need to keep in mind.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Got it, so I should just make sure my iPhone 8 is backed up in the cloud and when I'm setting up the new phone, choose to restore from an iCloud backup during installation? That's not too bad, but yeah, definitely something I need to keep in mind.
The safest way, if you're able to do it with your work account, is to turn off 2FA before you wipe the old phone, then set it up on your new one. But it shouldn't be necessary if you restore from iCloud.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
its not google you need to consider - its any app you use google to authenticate. Eg I use it to authenticate Lastpass, my VNC client and a couple others. For each of those, when you restore I don't think GA will keep the setups. Just in case, go to each of those services and make sure you have backup codes printed off/stored somewhere safe so you can log in if GA doesn't restore properly.

Then you can go into the account settings and regenerate the QR code to scan into GA

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
its not google you need to consider - its any app you use google to authenticate. Eg I use it to authenticate Lastpass, my VNC client and a couple others. For each of those, when you restore I don't think GA will keep the setups. Just in case, go to each of those services and make sure you have backup codes printed off/stored somewhere safe so you can log in if GA doesn't restore properly.

Then you can go into the account settings and regenerate the QR code to scan into GA
That's the opposite of how I thought it works. I thought when you restore it definitely 100% restores the app settings.

I definitely agree that having copies of the backup codes is essential.

Oct 27, 2017
That's the opposite of how I thought it works. I thought when you restore it definitely 100% restores the app settings.

I definitely agree that having copies of the backup codes is essential.
I believe the other poster is right, Google Authenticator can't be backed up or transferred because it doesn't hook in to anything. I decided to add it to my iPad recently, and instead of just signing in to Google on the device, I had to turn 2FA off on various accounts and then turn it back on for my phone and iPad.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I believe the other poster is right, Google Authenticator can't be backed up or transferred because it doesn't hook in to anything. I decided to add it to my iPad recently, and instead of just signing in to Google on the device, I had to turn 2FA off on various accounts and then turn it back on for my phone and iPad.
But if you'd restored that iPad from a backup of your phone instead of just signing in to Google, it should have worked. I accept I could be wrong though, ara take note and play it safe.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the warnings. I only use GA for two separate accounts (ERA and work) and have a bunch of backup codes for both saved locally, so I'm sure it'll be fine. If it doesn't get restored from the cloud, I'm sure I can just log in with the backup codes and activate the new phone's GA with the accounts.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I always build fresh - just use one of the backup codes to get in then you can attach it to your new phone. It's pretty straightforward. :)

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I might just put my phone on Gazelle. Too worried that Swappa sale might take awhile.. I thnk getting $500 cash for it is pretty good too.

Thickstone

Oct 27, 2017
Did they really not improve the sound quality of the 2nd gen Airpods?

I had to buy a new pair after losing my gen 1 right bud (always put them back into the case folks) and the better sound quality was immediately apparent. Or am I becoming crazy? It's not a major difference but noticeable.

By the way it speaks volumes that I immediately went out and rw-bought them. I love them.

Oct 25, 2017
Did they really not improve the sound quality of the 2nd gen Airpods?

I had to buy a new pair after losing my gen 1 right bud (always put them back into the case folks) and the better sound quality was immediately apparent. Or am I becoming crazy? It's not a major difference but noticeable.

By the way it speaks volumes that I immediately went out and rw-bought them. I love them.
Could be that the new ones are clean and not filled with wax.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Thanks for the warnings. I only use GA for two separate accounts (ERA and work) and have a bunch of backup codes for both saved locally, so I'm sure it'll be fine. If it doesn't get restored from the cloud, I'm sure I can just log in with the backup codes and activate the new phone's GA with the accounts.

Start using Authy instead of GA. Makes this way more seamless.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
How does authy work in this regard? I'm using both.
The most relevant bit is this:

Google Authenticator has no encrypted recovery backups.
  • Out of the gate, Authy lets you take advantage of encrypted backups in the cloud. How is this handy? Lose a phone, and you can still access Authy accounts from other devices (as long as you have not disabled the multi-device feature). Get a new phone, and you can install the Authy app, verify your identity, and access all your Authy tokens relatively painlessly when compared to Google's solution.
  • Google Authenticator falls short when it comes to cloud sync options. With Google, if you lose your phone you lose your access. Get a new phone and prepare to manually transfer your accounts, all of them, one at a time. This scenario alone seems to be the biggest reason people switch from GA to Authy.
  • And similarly to our multi-device feature, Authy's cloud backups are entirely optional: there if you want it, but not mandatory. Read how our tokens are backed up and encrypted.

But you can see the rest here:
authy.com

Authy vs. Google Authenticator - Authy

With every breach, every hack, every lost or stolen phone, online users have a similar thought: “I hope my private data didn’t just leak into the vast and very dark internet.” There’s a good reason to fear: once your personal data is out there, it’s out there for good. That’s why online security...

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Yep, Authy is decent if you need an authenticator app. I don't need a separate app because 2FA support is in 1Password. I assume some of the other password managers can do the same.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Where can I add 2fa accounts in 1Password?
If you edit one of your login items you'll see a field called "Add new one-time password". That's on iOS. Can't check the Mac version right now but I think it's exactly the same.

Then paste backup codes into the notes section and you have everything in one place.

If you use 1Password instead of iCloud Keychain in Safari, it'll automatically put the 2FA code into the clipboard after it autofills a login.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
The most relevant bit is this:

But you can see the rest here:
authy.com

Authy vs. Google Authenticator - Authy

With every breach, every hack, every lost or stolen phone, online users have a similar thought: “I hope my private data didn’t just leak into the vast and very dark internet.” There’s a good reason to fear: once your personal data is out there, it’s out there for good. That’s why online security...

I honestly had no idea Authy could handle sites that used Google Authenticator. Ha! I just moved like a dozen accounts over.

Checking on the Microsoft auth app now.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
It looks like the Microsoft Auth app works fine in terms of cloud backup of credentials. Anyone have good/bad experiences with this?

I'll prob leave that part alone if it's ok b/c I like how the MS app lets me approve logins via my watch.
Yeah, I don't use it for MS either. I just know some folks prefer an all in one solution.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
If you edit one of your login items you'll see a field called "Add new one-time password". That's on iOS. Can't check the Mac version right now but I think it's exactly the same.

Then paste backup codes into the notes section and you have everything in one place.

If you use 1Password instead of iCloud Keychain in Safari, it'll automatically put the 2FA code into the clipboard after it autofills a login.
Ah, thanks. Yeah, but that's not what an app like Authy does. I thought I could have everything in one place 😉

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
I used to use Authy way back, switched a while ago cause the watch app kinda blew interface wise. It just showed a list of your accounts and you had to tap to show the code. Not egregiously horrible or anything, but compare that to a bunch of others that show the accounts and code all right there. If the account you're looking for is in the first 2-3 you can see it by pulling up the dock without even switching to the app.

I use Salesforce Authenticator now, but there's a bunch of other similar ones out there...albeit mostly by no names that I can't say I trust. There's another one called SAASPASS that seems big (like used by corporations and stuff apparently?) but can't say I've heard of them myself.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Well Nintendo sucks.

I got 2FA removed but when trying to add it to Authy the initial confirmation e-mail never arrives.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why Apple hasn't built in a 2FA-Manager yet. Seems like such an obvious thing to do alongside icloud keychain. I'm on Google Authenticator right now but I guess I could switch to Authy while the amount of 2FA logins is still manageable.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
It generates new tokens all the time. It's does not store any credentials or one time passwords for a service.
Funny enough that I have never seen the 2fa stuff in 1Password... and I use it wherever I can 🧐
A new six digit token every 30 seconds. That's what Authy does (right?) and that's what I use 1Password for now, since it was annoying to use two apps for logins when one can do everything.

You don't have to store user/pass in 1P, you can just have the 2 factor stuff. But why use 1P if you don't want to store credentials?

Forgive me if I'm missing some obvious difference between the two, but like I said, I stopped using Authy because 1Password made it redundant.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
There are multiple 1Password offerings. I have an older one where you bought the app. I think now it's a subscription, right?

Perhaps there are different capabilities.