• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiegoPaulino

Aug 24, 2023

lol

Yes. WCW had something with Luger in 97 that could be built in a even more significant match between Hogan and Sting. I mean, look How the crowd explodes after he beat Hogan

View: https://youtu.be/3uFciPr5DDA?si=J8ciPEmwjyAWUWbC
youtu.be

Lex Luger Beats Hollywood Hogan to become 2 time WCW World Heavyweight Champion! 1997

Nitro - (Aug 04 1997) WCW World Heavyweight Champ Hollywood Hogan vs Lex Luger. In an infamous moment from wresting history and one of the biggest pops. Luge...

And all that was lost in a week when Hogan got the Win back. Luger should had hold that longer and, when he loses to Hogan, that would mean more when was Sting's moment.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I don't get why the extra star. This isn't me being a smark: I'm legit confused why Dave would rate this; it's like giving a film six out of five stars, despite the five star system being the establishment for success.

It's easy. Stars have no upper limit. Rating something six stars isn't dumb like rating something 110% or 11/10 would be.

Only reason Roger Ebert never wrote a 6 star review is cuz he never saw a movie that was clearly one star better than all the movies he gave 5 stars to

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
lol

Yes. WCW had something with Luger in 97 that could be built in a even more significant match between Hogan and Sting. I mean, look How the crowd explodes after he beat Hogan

View: https://youtu.be/3uFciPr5DDA?si=J8ciPEmwjyAWUWbC
youtu.be

Lex Luger Beats Hollywood Hogan to become 2 time WCW World Heavyweight Champion! 1997

Nitro - (Aug 04 1997) WCW World Heavyweight Champ Hollywood Hogan vs Lex Luger. In an infamous moment from wresting history and one of the biggest pops. Luge...

And all that was lost in a week when Hogan got the Win back. Luger should had hold that longer and, when he loses to Hogan, that would mean more when was Sting's moment.

I mean, is it really crazy WCW dropped the ball on somebody?

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get why the extra star. This isn't me being a smark: I'm legit confused why Dave would rate this; it's like giving a film six out of five stars, despite the five star system being the establishment for success.
He doesn't think things through and was so impressed by a match once upon a time, he went over 5 stars.

Once you do that, though, it means other matches can potentially go over 5 stars, right? It's only logical....so when you get an amazing match like Ospreay / Danielson, you can't just rate it 5 stars anymore.

And now the ratings are stupid as a result.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
He doesn't think things through and was so impressed by a match once upon a time, he went over 5 stars.

Once you do that, though, it means other matches can potentially go over 5 stars, right? It's only logical....so when you get an amazing match like Ospreay / Danielson, you can't just rate it 5 stars anymore.

And now the ratings are stupid as a result.
When you think about his star ratings less as indicative of match quality and more of "how out of the way should you go to see this match", rating something over 5 stars compared to the past things that were 5 stars makes a little more sense.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
When you think about his star ratings less as indicative of match quality and more of "how out of the way should you go to see this match", rating something over 5 stars compared to the past things that were 5 stars makes a little more sense.
It doesn't, really, because how high does it go? Can it go to 10? If it can, that means 5 is now meh, right? If it can go to 7, then the prior 5, which were done when it was considered 5 was the cap and "Best possible, go see it!" are now good, but not great?

I was never really a fan of his ratings before, anyways, but he kind of devalued them himself.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
It doesn't, really, because how high does it go? Can it go to 10? If it can, that means 5 is now meh, right? If it can go to 7, then the prior 5, which were done when it was considered 5 was the cap and "Best possible, go see it!" are now good, but not great?

I was never really a fan of his ratings before, anyways, but he kind of devalued them himself.
5 is basically "this is probably one of the best matches this year". Above 5 is basically "this is probably one of the best matches this decade or possibly ever".

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
5 is basically "this is probably one of the best matches this year". Above 5 is basically "this is probably one of the best matches this decade or possibly ever".
So what's the difference between a 5.5 and a 7, then? That's why it gets silly.

It's also so fitting for a carny ass thing like wrestling, though, so I kind of love it too.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
You have to go to 5.5 because of the Tokyo dome.

Honestly the problem is Kenny v Okada trilogy broke the scale and then Ospreay slid in and broke Dave's brain so bad it had to be removed and put back in.

I still like the ratings. It tells me what to check out

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
lukewarm take:

Yuya Uemura has so far been a huge bust since returning from excursion

I want him to succeed and thrive

instead we get this

Screenshot-2024-04-27-063833.png

I blame TNA, Joe Hendry and the enablers in this thread who shall not be named out of respect. you know who you are.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017

Saturday

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
i have watched the high speed match therefore i have fulfilled my quota of stardom

i am okay with high speed phoenix
i am doubly okay with saki having to be dragged away crying while she was like trying to steal the belt

Boze Man

Oct 27, 2017
Bozeman, MT

View: https://twitter.com/WrestlePrestige/status/1783595777136422920?s=19

Went to this show last night in Vegas. Amazing. No filler. I'm sure it will be up on iwtv at some point so check it out. Really great stuff from all the wrestlers.

There was also a 6 person scramble. One of them was Jada Stone, the wrestler on Bayley's shirt after Mania. Now I know why Bayley likes her. She's great!

The Alan Angels thing turned into an impromptu match against Black Swan Zoe Dubois and, holy shit, I may have a new indy favorite. She's just awesome. Presence, aura, and smooth. Need to find some more of her. She had matches with Maki Itoh and Hyan last weekend but that slipped my radar being in St. Louis for Dynasty. Going to find those for sure.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/WrestlePrestige/status/1783595777136422920?s=19

Went to this show last night in Vegas. Amazing. No filler. I'm sure it will be up on iwtv at some point so check it out. Really great stuff from all the wrestlers.

There was also a 6 person scramble. One of them was Jada Stone, the wrestler on Bayley's shirt after Mania. Now I know why Bayley likes her. She's great!

The Alan Angels thing turned into an impromptu match against Black Swan Zoe Dubois and, holy shit, I may have a new indy favorite. She's just awesome. Presence, aura, and smooth. Need to find some more of her. She had matches with Maki Itoh and Hyan last weekend but that slipped my radar being in St. Louis for Dynasty. Going to find those for sure.

Saw some good impressions on my TL for the Speedball vs Sandra Moone match. So I'll definitely check it out when it ends up on IWTV.

Oct 27, 2017

Joe Hendry has meme'd his way into the group chats I have with non wrestling fans. I've had his music stuck in my head since attending the Impact show in Glasgow 7 months ago.

Great time was had by all.

WON on TNA Rebellion😭

Impact felt like it was gaining natural momentum last year. Changing the name back to TNA was a bad publicity stunt.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
The KOPW match was very sports entertaining. Also enjoyed the STRONG tag match.
The elimination tag match in the main event was good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.