• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Hello Kitty isn't a chibi Hello Kitty. She's just Hello Kitty, as designed.

This is a genuine difference from calling something a waifu and claiming the character is 54 despite their youthful appearance without a separate baseline.

If Chibi just means "super deformed", what is the inverse of that for the Arby's waifu? How do you deform something that is undefined?
That's actually a hell of a question.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello Kitty isn't a chibi Hello Kitty. She's just Hello Kitty, as designed.

This is a genuine difference from calling something a waifu and claiming the character is 54 despite their youthful appearance without a separate baseline.

If Chibi just means "super deformed", what is the inverse of that for the Arby's waifu? How do you deform something that is undefined?

Because its a style. You seem to be hung up on the fact that something Chibi MUST have a normal form, but look at all these icons for Tokyo Police Mascots.

police5_700.jpg

Chibi literally just means Small, not Super Deformed, pardon. Chibi just means small, so the character was drawn Small. That's it.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Because its a style. You seem to be hung up on the fact that something Chibi MUST have a normal form, but look at all these icons for Tokyo Police Mascots.

police5_700.jpg

Chibi literally just means Small, not Super Deformed, pardon. Chibi just means small, so the character was drawn Small. That's it.
So is a Small character as a waifu inherently not creepy? Is it not a mess to be attracted to something that is super deformed?

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is a Small character as a waifu inherently not creepy? Is it not a mess to be attracted to something that is super deformed?

I don't feel like getting into the semantics argue over waifu but I've seen it described as just "Cute Character" before. Not everything is sexualization, look at all that innocent fan art that was drawn in teh last page.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I don't feel like getting into the semantics argue over waifu but I've seen it described as just "Cute Character" before. Not everything is sexualization, look at all that innocent fan art that was drawn in teh last page.
Waifu means waifu. Arby's said this. I don't know why this argument is going beyond this. They presented a young "waifu" and said they were 54 despite the character's appearance (and lack of appropriate baseline). If you're giving them a more generous appraisal of age/appearance that's entirely on you. They leaned into some creepy shit and that's it.

You're better off just ignoring fast food accounts as a point of argument, tbh. As am I.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Waifu means waifu. Arby's said this. I don't know why this argument is going beyond this. They presented a young "waifu" and said they were 54 despite the character's appearance (and lack of appropriate baseline). If you're giving them a more generous appraisal of age/appearance that's entirely on you. They leaned into some creepy shit and that's it.

You're better off just ignoring fast food accounts as a point of argument, tbh. As am I.

I'm only here because I wanted to explain what Chibi is.

I dont pay attention to fast food social media accounts (The paperworks done by the Arbys account ARE really well done though!) .

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Husbando is a thing too and both are widely used in the anime community by all sexes regularly to refer to their favorite characters, and not in a creepy sexual sinister way. It's not a hateful meme.
Mate you don't need to explain this shit to me, I'm knee deep in the anime community and I know very well how these things are used. Doesn't stop it from being any less stupid or creepy.

The fact that people have normalized it so much that they don't even think about it anymore is a major red flag IMO. Even the use of "Husbando" is comparatively rare and doesn't have the same baggage as "waifu" (i.e. a submissive wife who does things for your sake). I make a point of never using these phrases because of how potentially loaded they are.

Snow Halation

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 2, 2019

And what do you think that means? A desire for a character to literally be someone's wife? A sexual desire for said character? Or could it possibly be something totally platonic and just a means of showing support for a character?

"waifu" is as nebulous of a concept as moe is. Colloquially, it's just a character someone likes. That's literally it.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
And what do you think that means? A desire for a character to literally be someone's wife? A sexual desire for said character? Or could it possibly be something totally platonic and just a means of showing support for a character?

"waifu" is as nebulous of a concept as moe is. Colloquially, it's just a character someone likes. That's literally it.
lmao

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like reading forum posts arguing about the use of "waifu" is a universal sign that it's time to go the fuck to sleep

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I don't think sexualization of minors was intended, but, uh... Well, waifu is not the right word to use if you want to avoid having your fanbase sexualize a chibi that can be interpreted as a little girl instead. Like people do use it to just mean "cute/cool girl character", but just as many use it sexually. If you wanted maximum "how do you do fellow kids" points without unfortunate implications, should have gone with "gijinka".

Lady Catherine de Bourgh

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Childlike character (meant to be chibi) + waifu + declaration that character is actually hitting menopause = some people rightfully making the association with pedo pandering.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
wow, 5 retweets and 39 likes, this sure is blowing up
I was about to say. If that's all it takes to make something worthy of having a thread about it, I've got some ideas in mind for the next one...

Times like these I wonder if the perception of Era on the internet at large is actually correct.
Who cares... but if you really are curious, it's going to depend on whose perception you're interested in.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Actually I retract my statement.
D1Kqxu8V4AAPuLx.jpg

It's entirely possible that "I'm gonna advertise my employer to loli fans" still was not the intent, buuuut at this point Occam's Razor suggests otherwise. And either way it's still a tone deaf reaction.

Gonna be a yikes from me either way chief.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I hate this age excuse in animes and such, and I try my best to avoid this kind of media because I truly despise anything that even resembles child sexualisation

But ... It's a chibi character wearing a dress with no sexualisation at all

She is not in a sexy pose, wearing bikini or something like that. It's as inoffensive as it can gets.

Chill, people.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You sound like an expert. Has Arby's shot themselves in the foot?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Intent or not, I just scrolled through barely and already need some eyewash. You called your "chibi" character your waifu and now you got a decent chunk of very creepy loli art in your timeline arbys (and not even very far down), good going.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just still so baffled that they thought this was a good idea.

Just throwing around "waifu", with a character that looks like this... just outright pandering to channers and such. And that's before you get into casually invoking the 1000 year old dragon defense.

Like no one from some other part of the company might glance at twitter and go "hey, why are you saying the character is your 'wife'? and saying to this person it's fine because she's actually an adult?"?

Snow Halation

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 2, 2019
Fucking hell, just saw this in the responses. Okay, now I'll say this was a bad idea:

How the hell is he still on Twitter?

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
I get attachment to cute looking characters like any human being would, but the wife thing (however you pronounce it) sounds like overcommitment that isn't even serious to begin with, as your average anime aficionado would practice polygamy with some characters of their choice.

Just present the cute arby's character and leave it there.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nobody on this forum actually knows what lolicon means do they

This is hot cringe but it's not pro-pedophilia or any stupid shit like that

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Cringe is a good word to decribe most people's reactions, but Era loves to call any minor form of negative response "outrage", then ask "why is everyone is outraged?".

"why is everyone is outraged?" is pretty much the same thing as "why are you so mad tho?". It sidesteps the issue being discussed entirely by implying your interlocutor is too emotional.