• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
With the rise of certain prominent leakers like Emily, and the sheer amount of leaks as we approach E3 this year (is this year the leakiest on record?), I'm wondering if some of these aren't actual marketing tactics to ensure gamers are engaged and talking about these games up until the actual game reveals? I also wonder if some of these leaks are on purpose to gauge interest among the hardcore fanbases, to determine how best to focus their marketing. Going even further, I wonder if some leaks are intentionally falsified to throw people off the trail.

Does any of this sound plausible, or am I just a tinfoil-hat conspiracy theorist?

9PVNR15.jpg.gif

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes sure

But we live in an age where people get off on leaking anything and everything as well

Probably a bit of both situations

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
Most of them, no. Marketing is costly and more often than not, putting out a good trailer brings better results than leaking some infos on reddit.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
"are leaks, something that goes very against what marketing is, with planning and such, a marketing tactic?"
No. do i think some studios/devs use it as a scapegoat? yeah, but it's too rare.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
There definitely does seem to be some leaks that do feel intentional. I am guessing many are not though.

BoTalksGames

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Some, definitely. Biggest one that I think is obvious is Call of Duty, I saw people saying Harden wearing that BO4 hat wasn't supposed to happen and that it was a leak...lol

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

I'd say that the majority of leaks are intentional from the developer or publisher. A minority are legitimate leaks, that is, released unsanctioned by the powers that be.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes this were true. But I don't doubt it often isn't true.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm willing to bet some of them have been.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
Wild West Online leak was done very clever.

OP
OP
Cheezeman3000

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
I wonder if we have anyone on Era in marketing who can confirm they have used this tactic before. A... leaker of the leaking, if you will.

Can we go deeper?

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like the Spyro Reignited "leaks" were a sort of marketing strategy from Activision to try and gague how much feedback there would be from the news of a new Spyro game.

It's a strategic "leak".

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
No. This strikes me as people on here trying to overanalyze everything because they're unsatisfied with the simplest and most obvious explanation, which is often the actual one. Games leak because leakers reveal them to insiders and insiders reveal them to everyone else.

The idea that a company would intentionally undermine their own strategic reveal is completely nonsensical

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Probably, but it's gotta be a small number of them. This wouldn't be the case for leaks that spoil everything or leaks that are so vague as to allow customers to come up with their own unrealistic expectations about a game (don't want them disappointed by the actual reveal).

I wonder if more positive leaks or negative leaks are intentional. You'd think positive leaks would be intentional more often because generating positive buzz = good marketing, but getting a downer out of the way early means that it won't overshadow any other news of the event because it's known beforehand.

Like, I can see the Crackdown 3 delay leak being intentional for this reason.

Superbadr

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I think some leaks are intentional, for exemple they are intentional when devs are about to show something controversial/they are not sure about, to mentally prepare people before the showing. (let's go pikacu/eevee)

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Geoff "Leaked" the Xbox One X price?

I 100% believe he has MS approval or MS gave him the pic. MS wanted to lessen the blow of $499, rather than the price being the only thing people talked about.

Geoff just doing that on his own seems very uncharacteristic of him.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Some of them are. It's a good way to "test" the waters over some controversial points.

One that definitely wasn't was Mario + Rabbids.

If the game got announced some hours after the leaks or even some short period of time, then it wasn't intentional.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
It happens more often than you might think and they are pretty easy to tell when it's a designed leak over some random blogger hoping to get a few minutes of fame.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some.

Not stuff like Walmart posting a ton of shit early though haha

Notice that people really only talked about Rage 2 being in there amidst a bunch of sequels...the rest had already been previously leaked, rumored or confirmed. Hell even Rage 2 was hinted at being a good possibility by Bethesda back in 2016.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Given how glutted the actual events are, it may be partially a tactic to get some key press and buzz at a quiet moment before the conference begins, yes.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not convinced that Mario + Rabbids wasn't intentionally leaked ahead of E3 to get all of the hot takes out of the way early.

OP
OP
Cheezeman3000

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
I see a lot of comments on how leaks can ruin a marketing push. And I do agree that some leaks are probably not intended, because sometimes it's obvious they're not very flattering to the company, like a blurry image of something that makes the game look bad.

But think about how many leaks actually make it to the public eye enough to actually disrupt a marketing campaign... I'd say a VERY small minority do, as it's rare we see an unconfirmed leak at the top of Reddit for example. Companies could rely on smaller leaks to see how the hardcore fans respond, and possibly use that to determine how they market the game. Like... "oh, the fans didn't really respond well to this leak, let's just pretend that aspect doesn't exist when we market it..."

Jan 18, 2018
I'm still not convinced that Mario + Rabbids wasn't intentionally leaked ahead of E3 to get all of the hot takes out of the way early.

Same with Fzero Star Fox.

They have 2 minutes to show off the game. If 90% of that is filled with "WTF IS THIS HOW DARE YOU I WANTED METROID BRING FZERO WTF NO NO MY CHILDRHOOD YOURE KILLING IT" hot takes, then that presentation is wasted.

AKA: What happened 2 weeks ago.

By leaking, the reaction during the video is now "welp, there it is. Huh, thats not so bad. You know, that might even be fun"

MonadoPurge

Apr 30, 2018
North Carolina
I'd have to say some if not most. Nintendo especially, they are always locked down hard with their info, they must purposely do some of this, especially if they announce it for real just a few hours later.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
With the rise of certain prominent leakers like Emily, and the sheer amount of leaks as we approach E3 this year (is this year the leakiest on record?), I'm wondering if some of these aren't actual marketing tactics to ensure gamers are engaged and talking about these games up until the actual game reveals? I also wonder if some of these leaks are on purpose to gauge interest among the hardcore fanbases, to determine how best to focus their marketing. Going even further, I wonder if some leaks are intentionally falsified to throw people off the trail.

Does any of this sound plausible, or am I just a tinfoil-hat conspiracy theorist?

9PVNR15.jpg.gif

Depends whom you ask.

Are you asking gamers on message forums who think they are representative of the majority of gamers and that companies should cater to them? Then yes, they are totally intentional.

Are you asking people like myself who work in games marketing and who think the idea that anybody would intentionally kneecap their own multi-million $ marketing campaigns is crazy, and who see the damage that false or incomplete rumors can cause to games (as is happening atm) for little to no benefit? Well, then the answer is a clear "of course not".

Yes.

I'd say that the majority of leaks are intentional from the developer or publisher. A minority are legitimate leaks, that is, released unsanctioned by the powers that be.

The point of that being what, exactly? To jeopardize your carefully laid out plans and potential agreements with partners to have some people who represent a small % of the audience discuss your game based on partial information?