• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
It probably is. Wouldn't be surprised if all major AAA game leaks were intentional, but it works so can't really blame them.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no. Sometimes these companies prefer to have a surprise for their major event. Other times a trending leak on Twitter is much more appetizing.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I've never heard of them being a tactic in my entire professional career in gaming PR.

Leaking specific information yes, but not leaking an announcement of a game. That kind of announcement is usually more valuable when you can control the messaging entirely.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it is a thing. Gets the buzz started early.

The only danger is misinformation spread, but something like that won't happen when you only leak a few details to manufacture some hype.

ZeldaFreakNeo

Oct 31, 2017
With the rise of certain prominent leakers like Emily, and the sheer amount of leaks as we approach E3 this year (is this year the leakiest on record?), I'm wondering if some of these aren't actual marketing tactics to ensure gamers are engaged and talking about these games up until the actual game reveals? I also wonder if some of these leaks are on purpose to gauge interest among the hardcore fanbases, to determine how best to focus their marketing. Going even further, I wonder if some leaks are intentionally falsified to throw people off the trail.

Does any of this sound plausible, or am I just a tinfoil-hat conspiracy theorist?

Companies don't leak to market. They leak to know HOW to market.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Based on my extensive dealings with gaming PR folks, I'd say no. If things are intentionally leaked (I'm sure it happens sometimes) it's a decision made above the marketing level.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The point of that being what, exactly? To jeopardize your carefully laid out plans and potential agreements with partners to have some people who represent a small % of the audience discuss your game based on partial information?

1) Drum up interest in a PR release, presser, show, etc., without having to make an official statement or hype some "grand reveal." e.g., no "trailer for a trailer" or "announcement for an announcement"
2) Drive hype on infuencer channels
3) "Unintentional leaks" that were intentional by the development team but that the publisher wouldn't want
4) Get feedback
5) Cheaper marketing without going through normal marketing channels
6) Related to #3 and #5, ways to show off something in a project that the marketing teams don't think people care about, but you want to unveil it to your enthusiast audience without being chided by marketing for "going off message."

Probably more.

There are many leaks that are legitimate leaks that hurt a company and nobody wants released, but I'd estimate based on nothing but my own experience in the software industry (and formerly working in marketing in the software industry, non gaming though), that a majority of leaks are winks and nods to a specific journalist/publication/influencer from someone on development/publishing teams, and that it's okay for them to mention them casually to other influencers.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
As I assumed (and as keeps happening when this topic comes up), in this thread we have:

- people working in games pr and marketing saying that in their experience it is not a commonly used tactic
- people who don't work in marketing saying that it is absolutely, 100% a commonly used tactic

Maybe it is a question of definition? When you ask me if a leak was planned, then I read the question as "there were meetings with presentations detailing how someone using the German word for toilet seat as their online handle with share random partial info about our game, during which some Directors or VPs approved said plan to be executed". Which is a scenario that says more about the perceived self-importance of some forum communities, tbh.

If you mean that many leaks are intentional as in "someone from the dev or publisher spread this information purposefully", then sure, that sadly happens a lot. But an individual goping rogue for whatever reason does not turn his actions into an approved "strategy".

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
In many cases feel like they are, so YES. Leaks is the easiest way to play with the expectations of the customer.
Companies don't leak to market. They leak to know HOW to market.
+1000

Same with easter eggs, it is supposed something that are hidden but every fucking time some youtuber find the easter egg the right time for the company to jeopardize from that.

Last edited:

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
3) "Unintentional leaks" that were intentional by the development team but that the publisher wouldn't want
6) Related to #3 and #5, ways to show off something in a project that the marketing teams don't think people care about, but you want to unveil it to your enthusiast audience without being chided by marketing for "going off message."

Both of these are by definition (acting agains the acxual marketing plan) not part of a "marketing strategy", so they support the answer to the OPs question being "no".

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
would you uh, care to explain or no

Sure. Leaks aren't a marketing tactic and if they're used as such, it's extremely rare. The amount of money and precision planning that goes into a AAA game marketing campaign is insane. A leak fucks that up and if there's one thing marketing people hate, it's not being able to control the message around the product they're trying to sell you.

There's usually plans in place to react if leaks do happen, but they're very rarely used as part of an actual campaign. They have little reach compared to proper reveals. I mean, look at the Pokemon Go leaks or the God of War artwork leaks relative to the actual reveals. The hype they generate is purely on internet enthusiast message boards.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Sure. Leaks aren't a marketing tactic and if they're used as such, it's extremely rare. The amount of money and precision planning that goes into a AAA game marketing campaign is insane. A leak fucks that up and if there's one thing marketing people hate, it's not being able to control the message around the product they're trying to sell you.

There's usually plans in place to react if leaks do happen, but they're very rarely used as part of an actual campaign. They have little reach compared to proper reveals. I mean, look at the Pokemon Go leaks or the God of War artwork leaks relative to the actual reveals. The hype they generate is purely on internet enthusiast message boards.

Thank you.

OP
OP
Cheezeman3000

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
As I assumed (and as keeps happening when this topic comes up), in this thread we have:

- people working in games pr and marketing saying that in their experience it is not a commonly used tactic
- people who don't work in marketing saying that it is absolutely, 100% a commonly used tactic

Maybe it is a question of definition? When you ask me if a leak was planned, then I read the question as "there were meetings with presentations detailing how someone using the German word for toilet seat as their online handle with share random partial info about our game, during which some Directors or VPs approved said plan to be executed". Which is a scenario that says more about the perceived self-importance of some forum communities, tbh.

If you mean that many leaks are intentional as in "someone from the dev or publisher spread this information purposefully", then sure, that sadly happens a lot. But an individual goping rogue for whatever reason does not turn his actions into an approved "strategy".
For the purposes of this thread, my definition of "leaking as a marketing tactic" would match your first paragraph. The second paragraph is what I believe most assume to be the case every time there's a leak, so I was considering maybe the first paragraph may also play a part.

So you can't imagine some leaks aren't part of a marketing tactic? I personally think it would be a smart move, but I also don't work in marketing as you said. The leak could be very carefully constructed to fit whatever need is necessary.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
So you can't imagine some leaks aren't part of a marketing tactic? I personally think it would be a smart move, but I also don't work in marketing as you said. The leak could be very carefully constructed to fit whatever need is necessary.

All I can say is that in nearly 7 years of working in gaming communication (community and marketing), I have never seen it happen myself. I have however several times seen (sometimes inaccurate) leaks completely ruin carefully laid plans or cause major issues for companies. And I have in at least one instace seen people lose their jobs over leaked information.

Based on that, I have a hard time seeing the scenario as I described it in my previous post happening. Also, for those who don't speak German- Klobrille means toilet seat in German :p

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
With the rise of certain prominent leakers like Emily, and the sheer amount of leaks as we approach E3 this year (is this year the leakiest on record?), I'm wondering if some of these aren't actual marketing tactics to ensure gamers are engaged and talking about these games up until the actual game reveals? I also wonder if some of these leaks are on purpose to gauge interest among the hardcore fanbases, to determine how best to focus their marketing. Going even further, I wonder if some leaks are intentionally falsified to throw people off the trail.

Does any of this sound plausible, or am I just a tinfoil-hat conspiracy theorist?

Yes. Intentional leaks ae used across multiple industries. It's not just a gaming thing. You see it in tech. You see it in politics. You see it with toys. etc. etc.

Not every leak is intentional, but not every leak is a "leak."

OP
OP
Cheezeman3000

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
All I can say is that in nearly 7 years of working in gaming communication (community and marketing), I have never seen it happen myself. I have however several times seen (sometimes inaccurate) leaks completely ruin carefully laid plans or cause major issues for companies. And I have in at least one instace seen people lose their jobs over leaked information.

Based on that, I have a hard time seeing the scenario as I described it in my previous post happening. Also, for those who don't speak German- Klobrille means toilet seat in German :p
Ok, great insight, thank you! Maybe I can start to take this tin-foil hat off.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Some leaks seem like they are intentional in order to give publicity to games that might get lost in the crowd during E3. They could also build excitement about a brand. That legendary ntkrnl leak on the old site had a ton of information about the future of the Xbox One lineup, all of which came true and it came at the perfect opportunity to build excitement. If this is absolutely untrue and this isn't done, I'd recommend doing it because a good leak (Project Beast for instance) can get fans very involved and build a ton of anticipation.

Leaks like CBOAT and the Assassin's Creed bungles are clearly the opposite of this. The former done in a whistleblower type way to reveal controversies and the latter done because of the sheer amount of people involved with the series that the odds of one person slipping up is very high.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
It depends on the situation. I can't speak to what happened with Rage 2, but would it surprise me if they simply moved up what they were already going to do, which was announce a game that would get more headlines pre-E3 than at E3? Makes sense. That's typically what ends up happening in response to "leaks." The official material is just pushed up, rather than pretending nothing is happening. That's what smart companies do, anyway. I can't say it's never happened, but you're not going to see a company "leaking" info to, say, a Kotaku reporter, and asking them to publish it. A good reporter would know better.

Dlacy13g

Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
I think yes for some, its certainly planned "leaks" but for most likely not. However, I think companies are actually preparing contingency plans for "if" it does leak here is our play book. Rage 2 is a prime example of a company that was nimble on their feet and turned around an unplanned leak into a very positive reveal.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
The fact that the new Assassin's Creed game had materials prepared in short order after the initial leak, I'm inclined to say, maybe.

OP
OP
Cheezeman3000

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
It depends on the situation. I can't speak to what happened with Rage 2, but would it surprise me if they simply moved up what they were already going to do, which was announce a game that would get more headlines pre-E3 than at E3? Makes sense. That's typically what ends up happening in response to "leaks." The official material is just pushed up, rather than pretending nothing is happening. That's what smart companies do, anyway. I can't say it's never happened, but you're not going to see a company "leaking" info to, say, a Kotaku reporter, and asking them to publish it. A good reporter would know better.
That's an interesting angle, actually. So if a reporter was "leaked" some info, you'd think the reporter could see through the intentional marketing ploy and decide not to publish it? I'd believe that. But if they were smart they may try to leak the information through known influencers instead, like Emily for instance, who might get some stuff wrong but most stuff right, just enough to be credible but still not officially appear on the books.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
Most of them, no. Marketing is costly and more often than not, putting out a good trailer brings better results than leaking some infos on reddit.
This is why I despise them and hate people defending or even championing leakers. The internal reaction is so much more fulfilling and enjoyable when things are delivered without expectation as opposed to a line or two on Twitter taking all the wind out of the sails. These leaks aren't about some unethical dirt pile that companies are trying to cover up. They're leaks of things that the company plans on telling us. They want to tell us, and they are spending time and money to do it in the most enjoyable way. Jumping the gun to leak it for them over a few lines of text doesn't serve the audience, it only serves the leakers themselves.

OP
OP
Cheezeman3000

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
The fact that the new Assassin's Creed game had materials prepared in short order after the initial leak, I'm inclined to say, maybe.
I do have to say, to me that genuinely appeared to just be a quick knee-jerk response to the leak using video footage they already had. Marketing teams can be nimble like that.

Or you could be right, they could also be playing it up, pretending like it was a knee-jerk response, like, "ohhhhh youuuu you sure got us!" Wink wink (we had that planned all along).

OP
OP
Cheezeman3000

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Same with Fzero Star Fox.

They have 2 minutes to show off the game. If 90% of that is filled with "WTF IS THIS HOW DARE YOU I WANTED METROID BRING FZERO WTF NO NO MY CHILDRHOOD YOURE KILLING IT" hot takes, then that presentation is wasted.

AKA: What happened 2 weeks ago.

By leaking, the reaction during the video is now "welp, there it is. Huh, thats not so bad. You know, that might even be fun"
This is probably my favorite post so far. A very interesting take. I think that's definitely plausible, as the hardcore Nintendo fanbase can be hard to please, and they are VERY vocal. Since Nintendo is traditionally very tight-lipped, they could have decided to help quell the possible outrage with a leak, get a pulse on the fanbase, and the timing certainly makes sense.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
You have a verified member of a company that works at a games psychology marketing and research company that said:

Yes, absolutely.

They CAN be a marketing tactic and have been used as such. That doesn't mean that they inherently ARE marketing tactics. That's the difference here. The majority of leaks are not in the control of the marketing teams tasked with selling the game.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
I do have to say, to me that genuinely appeared to just be a quick knee-jerk response to the leak using video footage they already had. Marketing teams can be nimble like that.

Or you could be right, they could also be playing it up, pretending like it was a knee-jerk response, like, "ohhhhh youuuu you sure got us!" Wink wink (we had that planned all along).

This..... doesn't seem like what would be used for intentional leaks.

Those marketing materials are worked on long before the event, and are intended to be finished sooner than mere weeks before the big important once a year show.

They CAN be a marketing tactic and have been used as such. That doesn't mean that they inherently ARE marketing tactics. That's the difference here. The majority of leaks are not in the control of the marketing teams tasked with selling the game.

Which is why they were ripe to be weaponized for marketing, and it will be happening more and more.

Besides, the subject was never game leaks are really just marketing. The op asked if SOME of the leaks werr in fact really marketing.

This isn't Cognitive marketing. (Human side cognitive, old term, not the newer one, cognitive as in they are aware they are being marketed to and can process the marketing cognitively. Im not referring to recent ai/data gathering cognitive marketing)

Mere exposure vs more exposure.

So if it weren't in fact usually something that wasn' supposed to happen, it would lose it's potential for impact.

Last edited:

Heon

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, other industries do that. Like the movie studios. Not a stretch to think that some game ones do.