OP
OP
CrazyDude

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'll watch the extended edition then, it seems like I don't know what I'm missing.

Royce

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I always find it strange when people look down on older movies or games, thinking they are something not worth getting into anymore.

OP, if you have to ask a question like this, perhaps you'd be better suited with whatever happens to be The Rock's latest film. You aren't ready for more yet.

OP
OP
CrazyDude

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I always find it strange when people look down on older movies or games, thinking they are something not worth getting into anymore.

OP, if you have to ask a question like this, perhaps you'd be better suited with whatever happens to be The Rock's latest film. You aren't ready for more yet.
I mean some movies age badly, it's a fact of life.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yes. But honestly only Fellowship is a great movie. The other 2 have way too much battle cheese.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017

It's also really weird to consider something made after 2000 an "older" movie.

Damn kids.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I have watched the trilogy at least two dozen times this year, since I'm often in the country with little internet and they're always on TV.

They literally never get old. Fellowship is a work of absolute perfection, and the other two are superb as well, just more flawed.

Extended is, of course, recommended.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

Eh, the CG has aged okay. Obviously older stuff but nothing like 90s CG.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I adore them and still watch them semi-regularly. Incredible music, gorgeous cinematography, and an epic tale on the lure and potential poison of power. The performances and characters are also very memorable.

I love it.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, Gimli was turned into comedic fodder for the films but he is still the best part

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't think of a fantasy film I enjoy more than Fellowship of the Ring. Such a great film. Still, I said contender because I haven't seen all fantasy films so I went with contender instead of the best.
I love Fellowship of the Ring the most too. Yeah, there's a lot of good fantasy films but specifically there isn't really many epic high fantasy films like The Lord of the Rings yet alone great ones like it.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Certainly worth watching.

Stick with the theatrical versions for now, and if you want more depth from certain characters, then the extended editions are an option later on.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
As for the books, once you've seen the trilogy in either theatrical or extended form, there isn't much use in reading them.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'll watch the extended edition then, it seems like I don't know what I'm missing.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nonononono

LoTR is my all time favorite trilogy, but a first time watch should be through the theatrical editions.

You'll appreciate the added content more as a fan rather than going in fresh. It's just too much for a newcomer.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first one earlier this year, and because it was so long I split it into three separate chunks. It was not the most thrilling of films, it has weird cuts and its pacing is off. It definitely turned me off from seeing the other two films.

Cutebrute

Nov 8, 2017
Arkansas
This is still the greatest achievement in film in my opinion, so yes.

But I say watch the theatrical cuts first. They are notable tighter films. The beginning of Fellowship is especially awkward with the added scenes. The extended cuts are absolutely worth viewing though.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I know folks like to analyze the films individually, but - like the book from which they spawned - they really should be viewed as a single creative work. When you view the "trilogy" from that perspective, it's simply one of the greatest accomplishments in cinema history, and I really don't think that's hyperbole. In theory the LOTR films should have spawned a thousand imitators, given their critical and commercial success. But the fact that they haven't shows that live-action fantasy (not aimed at kids) is incredibly difficult to get right.

It's even more impressive when you realize how much these movies had going against them.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know folks like to analyze the films individually, but - like the book from which they spawned - they really should be viewed as a single creative work. When you view the "trilogy" from that perspective, it's simply one of the greatest accomplishments in cinema history, and I really don't think that's hyperbole. In theory the LOTR films should have spawned a thousand imitators, given their critical and commercial success. But the fact that they haven't shows that live-action fantasy (not aimed at kids) is incredibly difficult to get right.

It's even more impressive when you realize how much these movies had going against them.
I don't think people realize how difficult it is to make a epic film about Wizards, Elves, Orcs, Hobbits and it not coming off silly in live action.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

I do think it spawned countless other movies that tried to recreate the magic. I also think it paved the way for Game of Thrones in a way.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I do think it spawned countless other movies that tried to recreate the magic. I also think it paved the way for Game of Thrones in a way.

It certainly paved the way for Game of Thrones, but that was nearly a decade later. With the glaring exception of Harry Potter most other fantasy films/franchises of of the 2000s pretty much tanked at the box office or were critical duds. The Narnia films got off to a good start but eventually just petered out. But even then most fantasy films seemed to be more interested in chasing Harry Potter as opposed to LOTR.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Of course not, they're so old at this point. Who wants to see badly aged CGI with comedic Gimli and stupid and/or obvious Legolas moments ("A red sun rises... Blood has been spilled this night"/"A diversion" yes thanks Legolas, that was vital information)?

...I am, of course, pulling your leg. Of course they're worth watching, they're just as amazing now as they've always been. What kind of question is that OP?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It certainly paved the way for Game of Thrones, but that was nearly a decade later. With the glaring exception of Harry Potter most other fantasy films/franchises of of the 2000s pretty much tanked at the box office or were critical duds. The Narnia films got off to a good start but eventually just petered out. But even then most fantasy films seemed to be more interested in chasing Harry Potter as opposed to LOTR.
Oh yeah, there was also The Golden Compass.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently rewatching. Getting ready to finish up two towers. I think they are definitely worth watching, but time hasn't been all that great to them. My thoughts:
  • The CGI is horrible and sticks out so much that it really hurts the scene.
  • I mentioned this in another thread I made: after Watching a series like Game of Thrones, its really hard to watch a three movies book series like this. It really feels rushed, which sounds funny since the movies are really long. Fellowship suffers the most from this. TT pacing feels better.
  • Some of the humor gets a little tiresome. For example Gimli has to always have some line or moment of humor that hurts a scene. We get it, he's the comic relief, you don't have to remind us in every scene he's in.
With that said:
  • The makeup is still the best I've ever seen in a movie. Orcs and Uruk Hais look so stupidly real that its insane.
  • Music is still amazing.
  • Acting is top notch, especially from Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, and Vigo Mortensen.
  • The cast has amazing chemistry and it really shows.
  • Very little boring moments. The movies really do feel like a fun ride.
  • Beautiful locations.
  • Great character and creature designs. The Nazgûl still look so fucking badass.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's odd but the last movie at least parts of it. Is a bit of a mess in terms of consistency and the editing of scenes are some times poor. But overall the whole series is watchable to me.